Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Can Trump please not be president anymore? I don't like this. I feel like it's a big mistake.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Immigration to America was already at a net zero / negative anyway as of like 2014, mostly due to lack of jobs and Obama's crackdown and increased deportations.

Immigration is largely a mythical issue. It's no more substantive than any of Trump's other brain farts.

Illegal immigration from latin America was at a net zero in 2014. Overall Immigration still continued to rise.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Has to be a record

https://twitter.com/thinkprogress/status/892766820154953728

During a White House event, Trump discussed a call he recently received from Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto during which Nieto praised his work to curb illegal immigration.

“As you know, the border was a tremendous problem and they’re close to 80 percent stoppage,” Trump said. “And even the president of Mexico called me — they said their southern border, very few people are coming because they know they’re not going to get through our border, which is the ultimate compliment.”

As evidence of how enthusiastic the Boy Scouts were about his speech, Trump claimed he “got a call from the head of the Boy Scouts saying it was the greatest speech that was ever made to them, and they were very thankful. So there was — there was no mix.”

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yes, lots of people don't know how the stock market works.

In this case they do know how the stock market works. They could be looking at a substantial tax savings if they wait. If people hesitate to sell that means that the same amount money is flowing into the system and less money is flowing out. That would inflate the prices even more than the current macroeconomic shenanigans have done.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ng-out-of-cash/

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

I once had a discussion with my mom where somehow the topic drifted towards her stating that she would not love any hypothetical black children because "they just look ugly". I managed to pivot from that into a series of questions into what would be her order of preference for the ethnicity of any of my future relationships. IIRC the ranking, from "most opposed" to "least opposed" went something like:

Gypsy - Middle Eastern/Muslim - Black - Asian - White

Don't recall if I mentioned Eastern European.

Jesus Christ.

I don't think I could have a relationship with a parent who's love for my children is dependent on their race. :shrug:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The president would be denied a green card according to these criteria.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

What could ever shake that 38% of the population?

Even if you are a conservative, he hasn't followed through on most of his promises EVEN WITH full party control of congress. He got Gorsuch (which is admittedly huge) and that's it.

Out of the conservatives in my work, there's two reasons I see. The first is a complete denial of everything that isn't pro-Trump, to the point where even showing video of Trump mocking the disabled reporter was "photoshopped". The second just believes it's the Democrats fault, and when mentioned that they have a full majority, they kinda fumble around for a reason.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

I think everyone is assuming that it's a dead letter until he cracks below 30% approval. Nixon had roughly 20% approval when he resigned, so the assumption is Trump would need similar numbers or worse before Republicans rebelled.

I'm not holding my breath. Congress would probably rather let the US weather the storm than torpedo their own guy. A sharp contrast to the Nixon impeachments. Where while the Republicans were in minority. To most of them it was about preserving the honor of the party and the US.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Is... is that a swastika of :thunk: emojis or am I just paranoid?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Illegal immigration from latin America was at a net zero in 2014. Overall Immigration still continued to rise.

Much like our president, I don't comprehend any kind of immigration that is not about brown people from "Mexico", by which I mean anywhere in between the Rio grande and Antarctica.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
I think it's worth mentioning that former right-wing/authoritarian South Korean president Park Geun-Hye was considered to have a "concrete floor" of 30% support, until...

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Much like our president, I don't comprehend any kind of immigration that is not about brown people from "Mexico", by which I mean anywhere in between the Rio grande and Antarctica.

The Global Mexican South

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

HappyHippo posted:

I think it's worth mentioning that former right-wing/authoritarian South Korean president Park Geun-Hye was considered to have a "concrete floor" of 30% support, until...

Who the hell is included in the 4% who still approve?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Dmitri-9 posted:

In this case they do know how the stock market works. They could be looking at a substantial tax savings if they wait. If people hesitate to sell that means that the same amount money is flowing into the system and less money is flowing out. That would inflate the prices even more than the current macroeconomic shenanigans have done.

Only about 20% of the stock market is owned by individual investors with large holdings. A few of them are people with inheritances or trusts and not actively managing their portfolios.

That means that somewhere around 12-18% of the market valuation is held by individual traders. Even if 100% of these traders were working in complete unison with their trading, they would not be able to impact the market cap and valuation changes that the stock market has seen in the last 6+ months.

Additionally, many individual stocks are way down. That does not indicate a broad market acceptance of the idea that equities as a class are going to be more valuable in the near future because of a tax break.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Dmitri-9 posted:

They could just short sell against the box and close their positions when the tax rates drop. It would have the same net effect on the market but let them choose when to realize the gains. The cost to do this should be minimal.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I mean, profits are up and unemployment is down. Of course the stock market is doing well. I don't think it's doing well because of Trump. It's doing well DESPITE him.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

What could ever shake that 38% of the population?

Not even openly murdering someone in cold blood, according to a recent survey. Trump is at his basement. The GOP is too invested at this point.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

That's the most interesting question in American politics right now, I think.

I suspect the chief remaining barrier is ignorance, disengagement, and partitioned news sources.

Getting Hannity fired might help. Truly obvious public failures, especially policy failures or failures to respond to major disaster, military failures.

If he just keeps going how he does, time will probably wear quite a few more percentage points down just from the fatigue of constant failure and the continuing distance since the last anything that could even remotely be considered a win.

Sure this might not affect the true believes much, but those who only moderately sort of support him will likely continue to chip away unless he can start getting some solid achievements down.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Unzip and Attack posted:

Not even openly murdering someone in cold blood, according to a recent survey. Trump is at his basement. The GOP is too invested at this point.

That's true as long as he's still seen as the leader of the team.

Something has to happen to make it clear that Trump isn't on anyone's team but his own.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

There Bias Two posted:

Who the hell is included in the 4% who still approve?

Members of the cult? :v:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 2, 2017

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Prester Jane posted:

There is a book written by George Orwell called Down and out in Paris and London. This book is primarily an account of the experiences that George Orwell had being destitute in Paris and then a homeless vagrant in London (in the years shortly after the first World War). While the book itself is a fascinating insight into the mindset of the times for a whole host of reasons, one of the things that really struck me when I read it was how much society just casually accepted racism at the time. Everyone was inherently suspicious of every group that was different than their own and each groups had hierarchies of who they liked/despised. One passage that always stuck with me is basically along the lines of "trust a Slav before a Jew, trust a Jew before a Persian, trust a Persian before a" and on and on and on until it ended with something like "but never ever trust an Armenian" (I can't remember exactly who or what composed the pecking order). Racism was deeply embedded in humanities understanding of itself at the time.

The other thing I learned from that book is that modern food sanitation laws are the most amazing thing of all time because the descriptions of working as a plongeur (low-ranking kitchen assistant) in a high end hotel are horrifying- people of the time thought nothing of dropping a piece of buttered toast onto a pile of rotting food that was a permanent fixture on the floor (as in 6 inches deep of compacted rot that was literally never cleaned until the smell became too unbearable) and just picking it up, scraping off the top layer of filth, and serving it.

World War One was fascinating to look through a racial lens when compared to our greater understanding of World War Two. In Russia, Jews were targeted for violence and it was one of the reasons why so many fled the country. There was a saying, "Scratch a Jew, reveal a Bolshevik".

On the other hand Germany in WW1 embraced Jews as soldiers. Partially because they needed them, sure, but there were loads of Jewish veterans in the lead up to the rise of Hitler and those that actively opposed him as well. Whenever I talk about Rabbis being employed by the WW1 German army it just doesn't fit with how the Germans were viewed, nor how in a short twenty years how an ethnic group can change from a separate but accepted minority to a hated and persecuted minority.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

More polling:

https://twitter.com/POLITICO_Steve/status/892796575566659584

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Ice Phisherman posted:

On the other hand Germany in WW1 embraced Jews as soldiers.

I don't have full records on this, but I believe my great grandfather fought for Germany in WWI. My grandfather went in camps during WWII. Pretty hosed up!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

dr_rat posted:

If he just keeps going how he does, time will probably wear quite a few more percentage points down just from the fatigue of constant failure and the continuing distance since the last anything that could even remotely be considered a win.

Sure this might not affect the true believes much, but those who only moderately sort of support him will likely continue to chip away unless he can start getting some solid achievements down.

The unique thing about Trump is that almost all of his support is "Strongly Approve" and almost all of his disapproval is "Strongly Disapprove."

There's not much room for more hate or people to abandon him unless a lot of the strongly disapproves or strongly approves end up switching.

Obama, Bush, Clinton, and Reagan all had a lot of "soft" support over the years. Trump is right out the gate with almost 90% of opinions locked in.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

quote:

Plaintiffs argue that Defendants will use their "unique powers" to "access... millions of West Virginians, to bias the potential jurors who will determine their fate." (These special powers must include magic, as West Virginia has under 2 million residents).

You don't need to be a lawyer to enjoy that doc.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Something has to happen to make it clear that Trump isn't on anyone's team but his own.

Besides, Obama killed a bunch of people, would support drop if Obama had done it with his fists rather than his missiles?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Or that makes him look weak to his die-hard fans.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Something something page 1984 something Orwellian something

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Fitzy Fitz posted:

On the other hand Hank Hill is the type who'd probably say he's an Independent now

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Remember how the former Director of Communications got fooled into thinking a guy he fired was insulting him so he called him for real to insult him? Good times.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah, that's a possible.

My personal hope is that he shits and/or drops his pants during a public event.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Dmitri-9 posted:

Does anyone else think the stock market is inflating because no one is selling their equities assuming that there is some incoming Republican capital gains tax cut?

Apparently tax returns were unusually slow coming in earlier in the year and this was attributed to those on higher incomes waiting to see if they were going to get some instant tax cut from the new administration.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Kale posted:

Would that many people want to move to a country where they have to basically know by now that they are going to be discriminated against to ridiculously proactive degrees under Trump anyway? I'm white, early 30's and with a stable job and income as well as a college degree and I sure as gently caress wouldn't want to move there any time soon.

:same:

Koalas March posted:

Jesus Christ.

I don't think I could have a relationship with a parent who's love for my children is dependent on their race. :shrug:

Unfortunately, she's one of the few people I have left. Otherwise I would have cut ties long ago. I still think it's inevitable.

Though one time, she did tell me that she exaggerates her racism "because it annoys you so much". Dunno if that makes it worse or better (leaning towards "worse").

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

AceOfFlames posted:

I once had a discussion with my mom where somehow the topic drifted towards her stating that she would not love any hypothetical black children because "they just look ugly". I managed to pivot from that into a series of questions into what would be her order of preference for the ethnicity of any of my future relationships. IIRC the ranking, from "most opposed" to "least opposed" went something like:

Gypsy - Middle Eastern/Muslim - Black - Asian - White

Don't recall if I mentioned Eastern European.

This is gross on a whole host of levels, but I think she must also be blind or something because mixed race babies are really adorable.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

AceOfFlames posted:

Though one time, she did tell me that she exaggerates her racism "because it annoys you so much". Dunno if that makes it worse or better (leaning towards "worse").

Troll-mom would probably enjoy r/The_Donald.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

The unique thing about Trump is that almost all of his support is "Strongly Approve" and almost all of his disapproval is "Strongly Disapprove."

There's not much room for more hate or people to abandon him unless a lot of the strongly disapproves or strongly approves end up switching.

Obama, Bush, Clinton, and Reagan all had a lot of "soft" support over the years. Trump is right out the gate with almost 90% of opinions locked in.

His "strongly approve" is in the mid 20s, so there's more support for him to lose yet. It's also dropped since the election so it's not immovable either.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Lightning Lord posted:

On the other hand Hank Hill is the type who'd probably say he's an Independent now

Hank Hill turned into a #NeverTrump-er somewhere around the well-done steak revelation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amKyA2PrSu4

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

AceOfFlames posted:

:same:

Unfortunately, she's one of the few people I have left. Otherwise I would have cut ties long ago. I still think it's inevitable.

You should tell her one day that all of her horrible comments have finally gotten to you and that you'll never bring a black woman home

Because you've decided to exclusively date black men.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

AceOfFlames posted:

Same.

Your mother likes triggering snowflakes. Having just learned about moms of /pol/, I can only assume she is down with the pepe as well. I am sorry you have to deal with that poo poo. I understand not wanting to :sever:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Only about 20% of the stock market is owned by individual investors with large holdings. A few of them are people with inheritances or trusts and not actively managing their portfolios.

That means that somewhere around 12-18% of the market valuation is held by individual traders. Even if 100% of these traders were working in complete unison with their trading, they would not be able to impact the market cap and valuation changes that the stock market has seen in the last 6+ months.

Additionally, many individual stocks are way down. That does not indicate a broad market acceptance of the idea that equities as a class are going to be more valuable in the near future because of a tax break.

My language was not very precise, I'm not talking about the entire market but just another factor that could contribute. All of the optimism started in November of 2016, clearly they expect a more favorable regulatory regime.

Reik posted:

They could just short sell against the box and close their positions when the tax rates drop. It would have the same net effect on the market but let them choose when to realize the gains. The cost to do this should be minimal.

That also locks in your gains, what if you expect you position to keep gaining?

Dmitri-9 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 2, 2017

• Locked thread