Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Kea posted:

I think I would have started again at some point during all of that, on the other hand I rarely finish anything so...

I've started over multiple times. The first two/three attempts never made it past the initial cut/assembly phase. The current version is very much the gently caress IT WE'LL DO IT LIVE take.

I also rarely finish anything, which is why I've become so hellbent on finishing this.

v1-ish

v2-ish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

scandoslav posted:

This project is mostly grim determination and sanding at this point.

Thread title right there

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

With regards to the handle:

This is the thing I designed/cut/drilled for:

This is the thing I bought:

I am an idiot.

I've used the opportunity to start learning Fusion. I intend to print it at the local nerdspace. :toot:

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
You might get a better result if you change those radii to simple straight bevels. Convex curves like that can turn out poorly on 3d prints if they're on the underside.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Rapulum_Dei posted:

You might get a better result if you change those radii to simple straight bevels. Convex curves like that can turn out poorly on 3d prints if they're on the underside.

Word. Reading up, it looks like the dome could also cause problems; would it be simpler to print it "face up" and just use a whole mess of supports on the underside? Nobody will see the bottom after it's installed.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Nah the dome should be fine so long as the layer height is reasonably fine and you use 3 or 4 perimeters.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

scandoslav posted:

With regards to the handle:

This is the thing I designed/cut/drilled for:

This is the thing I bought:

I am an idiot.

Just turn it counter-clockwise a little!

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I built this over six years ago, and I'm still working on it... so you have that to look forward to!

Main drivers were upgraded recently to Eminence Kappalite 3012LF, but I've got a nasty buzz at show volume that I can't figure out. I think it's coming from the mid driver but I'm not convinced. So tempted to add another input and wire it to completely bypass the crossover, going straight to the main woofers and not going to the mid/tweeter at all...

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
drat. I was looking into building a custom enclosure for some subs due to weird new car layout but is it that much of a pain?

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

sneakyfrog posted:

drat. I was looking into building a custom enclosure for some subs due to weird new car layout but is it that much of a pain?

I am way, way overcomplicating things for myself, especially for a first-time build, especially for a simple guitar 1x12.

Your project has more in common with A Science Goy's than mine, though, so :shrug:

Rotten Cookies posted:

Just turn it counter-clockwise a little!

:monocle:

Normal Barbarian fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 2, 2017

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

sneakyfrog posted:

It depends on how custom you're talking. If you can do fiberglass then you can get it into pretty much any shape you want, vs wood which just creates endless joints (and endless opportunities for leakage). A basic direct radiator box isn't that complicated as long as you get the internal volume right. There are calculators for tuning a sub box based on multiple parameters, you just need to be more careful when calculating volume since it will be an odd shape.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

The Science Goy posted:

It depends on how custom you're talking. If you can do fiberglass then you can get it into pretty much any shape you want, vs wood which just creates endless joints (and endless opportunities for leakage). A basic direct radiator box isn't that complicated as long as you get the internal volume right. There are calculators for tuning a sub box based on multiple parameters, you just need to be more careful when calculating volume since it will be an odd shape.

Ok well its pretty much this, There arent any good locations to mount proper dedicated subs other than underneath the cargo floor in the babbytrunk

underneath that cover there is about 8" of depth

never worked with fiberglass before, and just dont think those small all in one sub +amp setups are going to make proper butt thudding.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

If you don't need that babby rear cargo space very often, just build a basic box to plunk right in there, and mount the amp on the side of the car or by the spare tire or something. Use a Speakon jack to hook it up, so it's effortless to disconnect and remove the sub when you need to free up that space.

I'm eventually going to build This BFM cab for my car, but haven't gotten around to it yet. It's a big box, but it is very efficient (horn loading = loud as balls) and can be built with only a circular saw and maybe a jigsaw (and a shitton of clamps, you can never have enough clamps)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

The Science Goy posted:

If you don't need that babby rear cargo space very often, just build a basic box to plunk right in there, and mount the amp on the side of the car or by the spare tire or something. Use a Speakon jack to hook it up, so it's effortless to disconnect and remove the sub when you need to free up that space.

I'm eventually going to build This BFM cab for my car, but haven't gotten around to it yet. It's a big box, but it is very efficient (horn loading = loud as balls) and can be built with only a circular saw and maybe a jigsaw (and a shitton of clamps, you can never have enough clamps)

LOL yeah my G/f was not pleased with babby cargo hatch but not sure i want to riceboy it up quite that much by putting a box in there, was kinda going for a clean OEM look which was why i was toying with building something.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.
Okay, so I've had some time on my hands, and I decided to build a tree house. I gave myself the challenge of using only found materials from the woods and limiting my tools to only a hatchet and a machete. Being in south Florida, we don't have many stones lying around, or I would have tried to make my tools as well. So, here was the base I constructed, elevated because this, again, is south Florida.

The pine you see is one of four that I ended up digging post holes for and planting in the ground, and the poles are lashed together with some local vines.

Here's the basic structure after I got everything in place:

And another view:

I decided to build the walls out of wattle, so the first thing I needed to do was to lay in the upright posts and lash them to the frame:

Here's the frame complete. South Florida. Welp.

Aaaand the other side. So many vines. :gonk:

A friend arrives!

Starting to weave the wattles:

Continuing to weave:

So many stick. :saddowns:

That's where it stands now. If anyone is interested, I'll post updates as I go along.

Mr. Bill
Jan 18, 2007
Bourgeoisie Pig
No. No one is possibly interested in a hand woven structure in Florida. You may as well burn the whole thing now.

Goddamn though dude excellent work so far!

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I'm interested. Also concerned that the bottoms of those uprights will rot out in all that water.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

armorer posted:

I'm interested. Also concerned that the bottoms of those uprights will rot out in all that water.

That's slash pine, and it handles being wet fairly well. That said, we had a tropical storm wash through and dump a shitload of rain all at once. It should drain out in a week or two. At any rate, I should get a couple of months out of it, at least.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Spiderjelly posted:

Okay, so I've had some time on my hands, and I decided to build a tree house.
If it's not attached to at least one living tree, I firmly protest your terminology.

Pretty cool log home though.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

Slugworth posted:

If it's not attached to at least one living tree, I firmly protest your terminology.

Pretty cool log home though.

Two!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Spiderjelly posted:

That's where it stands now. If anyone is interested, I'll post updates as I go along.
Cool POW cage!

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
getting Deer Hunter vibes :eek:

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Funny, I was starting to hear banjos.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Spiderjelly posted:

This is Cool and You are cool.

I'm obsessed with this dude and his found materials construction

Similar to what you're doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzMfeQyY5xM

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

Yeah, that dude is a pro. I'm not fit to daub his wattle.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Make sure to leave the county mandated square footage for snakes.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Got a weekend project:

Fix all these old pens.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

Spiderjelly posted:

Okay, so I've had some time on my hands, and I decided to build a tree house. I gave myself the challenge of using only found materials from the woods and limiting my tools to only a hatchet and a machete. Being in south Florida, we don't have many stones lying around, or I would have tried to make my tools as well. So, here was the base I constructed, elevated because this, again, is south Florida.

I think the fact that you continued wading through that cesspool of poo poo to continue construction is possibly more impressive than the structure itself. That said, I'll give you one vote to be on the next Naked & Afraid (assuming it didn't take you 21 days to build this).

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.
Prolly have 30 hours or so in it so far. About half of them under water. Dive boots are my jam.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

Spiderjelly posted:

You know what this project needs? A huge human being (aside from the one building it)

The walls are done.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

Megabound posted:

Got a weekend project:

Fix all these old pens.

Would you mind writing up a quick post about one or two of them? What are their issues and how did you fix them?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Nemico posted:

Would you mind writing up a quick post about one or two of them? What are their issues and how did you fix them?

Happy to, 99% of old pens that need restoration are lever fillers, and they're the simplest to work with, with most of them only needing a replacement sac. When you lift the lever a bar depresses a sac inside the pen, forcing air out, when the lever is set back down it expands the sac and draws in ink.

Here's the basic toolkit:

Flushing bulb, latex sac, chalk, shellac and a j-bar.

And pens:

On the left is after a repair and on the right is in need. The bit with the nib we call a section and the other bit is the barrel.

First you remove the section from the barrel, flush the section using the flushing bulb until the water runs clear. Next you'll need to remove any crusty old perished sac from the barrel and the section, and inspect the filling system. Most of the time the lever and j-bar are a-ok but sometimes you'll need a replacement.

Test fit some different diameter sacs on the section and cut to the length of the barrel, then using the shellac affix it to the section. Chalk the sac and put it back together and you have a working pen.

In between all that you'll be cleaning ink out of the barrel and cap, and for cosmetic restoration I use some very fine grit micro-mesh for polishing and a hard crystalline wax for finishing and protection.

Here's one I fished yesterday, a Parker Vacumatic from the second quarter of 1945.

Stacked celluloid pens are just gorgeous.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 6, 2017

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Quote is not edit

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

Spiderjelly posted:

The walls are done.

Now it has a hat.

Note the totally traditional and extremely natural bottle of insect barrier

What a guard sees

What a POW sees

Floor is next!

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

What is the spider situation in that neck of the woods? You are building a nice spider house :3:

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

scandoslav posted:

What is the spider situation in that neck of the woods? You are building a nice spider house :3:

Nothing horrendous. The real threat is fire ants. I don't like those guys.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Spiderjelly posted:

Nothing horrendous. The real threat is fire ants. I don't like those guys.

yeah those dudes suck

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

That poo poo is baller as gently caress but if you live anywhere near other people, some teenagers are going to find it, graffiti it, gently caress in it, then burn it down.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

Lawen posted:

That poo poo is baller as gently caress but if you live anywhere near other people, some teenagers are going to find it, graffiti it, gently caress in it, then burn it down.

Pretty sure that makes it all worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Spiderjelly posted:

Pretty sure that makes it all worth it.

i like this guys attitude.