Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Crazycryodude posted:

I think they mean like as a story, not as a mechanic. Though if done, very, very well I could see it being an interesting game mechanic too. Not necessarily in Stellaris, but somewhere somehow.
Could work as another variation on the pirates event; some noticeable-but-not-crippling portion of your fleet have gone rogue and are still fighting {PreviousWarTarget}, along with anybody who stands in their way. You can either let them go, for major opinion loss from {PreviousWarTarget} and also weakening them for future wars, or hunt the rogue ships down for opinion gain at the cost of getting in a major fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

darthbob88 posted:

Could work as another variation on the pirates event; some noticeable-but-not-crippling portion of your fleet have gone rogue and are still fighting {PreviousWarTarget}, along with anybody who stands in their way. You can either let them go, for major opinion loss from {PreviousWarTarget} and also weakening them for future wars, or hunt the rogue ships down for opinion gain at the cost of getting in a major fight.

Randomly losing any portion of your fleet in a game where war boils down to stack v stack seems really unfun.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It works if it's your fault - see SotS AI rebellion. You choose to research powerful but dangerous tech, you roll the dice. Of course the tech needs to be extremely strong to be worth the risk.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

It works if it's your fault - see SotS AI rebellion. You choose to research powerful but dangerous tech, you roll the dice. Of course the tech needs to be extremely strong to be worth the risk.

The only purpose of AI rebellion was to intentionally create one to troll other players when you were losing. As a mechanic it sucked since it was a pure dice roll.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

DatonKallandor posted:

If there's anything we can learn from naked corvettes it's that no technology in stellaris is actually worth that risk.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nuclearmonkee posted:

The only purpose of AI rebellion was to intentionally create one to troll other players when you were losing. As a mechanic it sucked since it was a pure dice roll.

Well, psionics can summon Slaanesh so it only seems fair...

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

imweasel09 posted:

Randomly losing any portion of your fleet in a game where war boils down to stack v stack seems really unfun.
Lots of things in a game where war boils down to stack v stack are really unfun.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

darthbob88 posted:

Tbf PreviousWarTarget should absolutely not believe you when you say no no those are rogue killbots.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Also also when a Predator drone gets hacked and launches Hellfires when we don't want it to no one will believe us and they'll be completely justified.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Anticheese posted:

Not true. You can get it to work in windowed mode perfectly well. :eng101:

./SEV5/Data has a settings.txt file that you can use to turn on multithreading. Start the game and use the setup button to change the resolution to 'windowed', which takes care of the frame rate issues. You can adjust the window size in HUDSettings.txt.

oh gently caress :fap:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Relevant Tangent posted:

Also also when a Predator drone gets hacked and launches Hellfires when we don't want it to no one will believe us and they'll be completely justified.

Um yeah they would idiot you can't declare war on the same empire for 10 years after a peace agreement.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Mister Adequate posted:

oh gently caress :fap:

Try running it at default resolution first and up the window size gradually.

Also, who's for goon SEV?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Anticheese posted:

Try running it at default resolution first and up the window size gradually.

Also, who's for goon SEV?

I'd be up for it. I'd just need some time re-download any mod we use. (I have some, like the Balance Mod, but by now I have rewritten stuff in basically every single file, and I'm guessing that would cause problems in multiplayer.)

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

turn off the TV posted:

Um yeah they would idiot you can't declare war on the same empire for 10 years after a peace agreement.

Why do they have our ships, our level of technology, and have our insignia with a big circle and a slash across it? They're rogue what more do you want? I mean obviously being able to attack you every five years instead of every ten would be beneficial but we have no way to do that. Also, you can't cross into our Empire to prosecute your war and coincidentally the rogues are entirely inside our space. See you in a decade, chumps. Rogue.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Relevant Tangent posted:

Why do they have our ships, our level of technology, and have our insignia with a big circle and a slash across it? They're rogue what more do you want? I mean obviously being able to attack you every five years instead of every ten would be beneficial but we have no way to do that. Also, you can't cross into our Empire to prosecute your war and coincidentally the rogues are entirely inside our space. See you in a decade, chumps. Rogue.

It would be pretty nice if you could just wantonly violate cease fires but incur an absolutely massive reputation loss because of it.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

It would be pretty nice if you could just wantonly violate cease fires but incur an absolutely massive reputation loss because of it.

This is possible in every other Paradox game and it's always a key part of degenerate world conquest strategies.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

turn off the TV posted:

I managed this by leaving my Federation so I could declare war, beating up my nemesis, and then rejoining my Federation. We proceded to go to war again because the Federation voted for the war, not me.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

New event chain: egalitarian empires occasionally spawn privateers that the egalitarian empire can support outwardly, support secretly, or attempt to suppress. The privateers work to attack neighboring empires via sabotage (blowing up colony buildings and damaging ships) and occasionally stealing credits or minerals. Rarely, they'll assassinate leaders.

There could be a huge variation in what happens depending on choice of support. That actually sounds kinda neat.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

turn off the TV posted:

This. Especially because the timeline is open ended, so making someone wait out a 10 year truce doesn't really make achievements harder or anything, it just means you have to sit around doing gently caress all for years at a time.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Nevets posted:

Nah, I bet it would be like taking care of a dog except they know how to flush.

Debatable

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PittTheElder posted:

This. Especially because the timeline is open ended, so making someone wait out a 10 year truce doesn't really make achievements harder or anything, it just means you have to sit around doing gently caress all for years at a time.
It gives your opponent time to rebuild their stations and doomstack. If you could redeclare war immediately then the momentum behind one good decisive victory means game over for your opponent.

It also gives less warlike empires the time needed to leverage the resources they didn't spend warring into an advantage comparable to you annexing an adjacent empire.

Unless "massive reputation loss" meant "you're on fanatical purifier diplomacy for the next 100 years but without the benefits".

I'd like to be able to set the treaty time at war dec/white peace. If your opponent is substantially weaker than you then increasing the time is worth negative wargoal for you and positive for them. "I'll leave you alone for 30 years if you give me an extra planet, thanks".

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Well, psionics can summon Slaanesh so it only seems fair...

I thought it was meant to be Khaine

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Enjoy posted:

I thought it was meant to be Khaine

He meant the End of the Cycle, not the avatar summoning.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Splicer posted:

It gives your opponent time to rebuild their stations and doomstack. If you could redeclare war immediately then the momentum behind one good decisive victory means game over for your opponent.

Theoretically sure, but not in actual fact. Once you've devastated an opponent in one hell war, they'll never actually be able to rebuild anyway. In early game wars it's closer to true, but in that war you'll just lose all your planets anyway and it's still game over as soon as that truce is up.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Fintilgin posted:

I'll never get why Firaxis paid for a voice actor and then only had them record like six lines. There should have been a bunch of greetings/insults/compliments based of relations, state of the game, era etc.

Probably controversial, but I'd love to see them drop the (admittedly cute) gimmick where the leaders speak their native language and have them speak English so that they could sell the character of each leader more. Three generic lines in sumerian gets real old real fast.

I like how they did it in Rebel Galaxy, where the programmer invented alien languages by using google translate a few times and voiced the result without actually knowing the languages.

Edit: Whoops, should probably not have responded to something 3 weeks old.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Idea I just had that someone else probably already has had: What if tiles were different biomes? Like instead of a tile blocker of slums have it be the sahara desert. Icy planets would have mostly ice biomes but maybe one tundra biome, that kind of thing.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Theoretically sure, but not in actual fact. Once you've devastated an opponent in one hell war, they'll never actually be able to rebuild anyway. In early game wars it's closer to true, but in that war you'll just lose all your planets anyway and it's still game over as soon as that truce is up.

I did this where I destroyed every station/shipyard an empire had since they were inconveniently located for me to conquer.

About 5 years later the Prethoryn showed up right on top of them and ate them, but I assume they would have had difficulty recovering regardless.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Benagain posted:

Idea I just had that someone else probably already has had: What if tiles were different biomes? Like instead of a tile blocker of slums have it be the sahara desert. Icy planets would have mostly ice biomes but maybe one tundra biome, that kind of thing.

Habitability is kind of a proxy for this, but different squares being actually different depending on their location in the grid would be really cool. I'd much rather habitability was a, "You can live on a narrow strip of [squares] near the equator," thing, rather than a flat percentage.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/892805452718845953

Not sure how I feel about this.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

It's not like you're eating the slaves.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

crazypeltast52 posted:

About 5 years later the Prethoryn showed up right on top of them and ate them, but I assume they would have had difficulty recovering regardless.

The one time the Prethoryn showed up in my game was probably my favorite game of Stellaris ever, back in the original release. Was playing my original "purge everyone who isn't me" game, and nearly managed to weaponize them; I would declare war on empires near the swarm, destroy their fleets, and then get out of the way to let the Prethoryn eat everyone. But the Prethoryn AI eventually decided it only wanted to attack me instead of the defenseless empires on the other side.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
It's probably to prevent you from dumping 1 domestic slave pop on a planet with 24 slaver race pops & still getting all the bonuses.

If you have to share your slaves with other people, then can you really say that you own them?

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

turn off the TV posted:

That seems like a pretty massive benefit for devouring swarms/fanatical purifiers.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Aethernet posted:

Habitability is kind of a proxy for this, but different squares being actually different depending on their location in the grid would be really cool. I'd much rather habitability was a, "You can live on a narrow strip of [squares] near the equator," thing, rather than a flat percentage.

That would make xenophiles a lot better because they'd be using more squares on their planets the more species they've got with different climates compared to a xenophobe one-race empire (until they genemod or robotize those places their original species can't live in). I'd consider that a good thing.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to assume slave ownership is automatic, but modifiable if you really want to, otherwise it'll be a micromanagement annoyance. Will be good if it's coupled with mechanics that generate resentment towards owning pops.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

DatonKallandor posted:

That would make xenophiles a lot better because they'd be using more squares on their planets the more species they've got with different climates compared to a xenophobe one-race empire (until they genemod or robotize those places their original species can't live in). I'd consider that a good thing.

Yeah, this would make multi-species empires much more interesting. I'm pretty sure a 4X did something like this once - SOTS allowed you to have multiple species on a planet to boost max population, but it was of course less overt than a squares-as-biomes model would be.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

imweasel09 posted:

That seems like a pretty massive benefit for devouring swarms/fanatical purifiers.

It would be, but the other side of that coin is that once you hit a critical mass as a purifier, you can't engage engage in diplomacy but you do have to respect truces for some reason? And so you just have to sit around and wait. It's profoundly boring.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

I guarantee within a week someone will upload a mod to Steam that makes it so all the black human pops are automatically enslaved and owned by white human pops

Probably less than a week

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

OwlFancier posted:

Playing an AI which has decided that organic life cannot be trusted to rule itself, and thus must be placed in habitats for its own safety, would be an interesting take on the omnicidal maniac civilization.

All it really needs is a "must be protected from the terrible secret of space" casus belli.

The AI rebellion begins when excavating synthetics accidentally unearth a virus-ridden zip disk containing a collection of 90s protomemes. Now the galaxy's synths want to own your base and eat your balls, because your poison wombs are making heaven too crowded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Reveilled posted:

The AI rebellion begins when excavating synthetics accidentally unearth a virus-ridden zip disk containing a collection of 90s protomemes. Now the galaxy's synths want to own your base and eat your balls, because your poison wombs are making heaven too crowded.

You're the man now dog!

• Locked thread