Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shaggar posted:

w/ ISPs they probably wont go after you unless its a government backed entity. also getting a hold of a higher level tech would be the way to go cause they're in a position to understand what you're saying and not have a motive to shut you down.

i wouldnt be so certain since im sure some ToS was violated at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Maybe I'll open a ticket under the guise of getting IPv6 setup and see if I can slip it in that I am seeing other people's traffic

I think its more likely they'll just close it as "ipv6 not yet supported" or something to that effect. if you can find the number for the noc or something that would be the way to go.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

anthonypants posted:

they're worried that if they deliver a pcap of their network traffic to their isp, they will deduce that they have been hacked and send fbi agents to their house. how have you not been on the internet for the past decade

an isp field tech isn't going to know gently caress about poo poo, say everything is working correctly, and bill them for their trouble

lol thanks for shooting down all my ideas you cold war mccarthy weirdo, no one suggested handing over a pcap, what do you suggest?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

anonymous tweet?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

hobbesmaster posted:

anonymous tweet?

Yeah, I think I'll try to get them to DM me and I'll send them a screenshot with some anonymized capture headers or something. My twitter isn't associated with me in any public way

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Some whitebox PON ONT, huewai or something. Regional FttH provider

PON da huewai

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Yeah, I think I'll try to get them to DM me and I'll send them a screenshot with some anonymized capture headers or something. My twitter isn't associated with me in any public way

don't use your loving twitter

e: make a new one

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

do the strippers take bitcoin???
there is now a bitcoin strip club in vegas

quote:

The Legends Room is the first club in the world with its own spendable cryptocurrency. The club also accepts bitcoin and fiat for all club services. Management expects an entirely new audience for digital tokens since ownership of LGD is require to access all of the club’s private areas and celebrity events.

The private club will feature weekly entertainment from some of the world’s most recognized adult stars including Tasha Reign, Kat Dior, Penthouse Pet of the Year Kenna James, London Keyes, Edyn Blair and many others.

“I know men go to strip clubs to relax and let go. They also go to enjoy attention from women that they don’t normally get in real life and to feel appreciated. I love the idea of tokens for club services because the buyer will most likely spend more than they would with traditional forms of payment,” added Tasha Reign.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

instead of timing it in songs, lapdances last until your tip's transaction is confirmed

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

I don't know how I can explain the terms Passive Optical Network or Fiber to the Home any better than I already have but you're an idiot. Anyway, the way all PON rollouts work is that there is a single transceiver that blasts downstream traffic for up to 64 subscribers then each has their own ONT box to push their upstream traffic back. Everyone sees the same downstream light to the ONT but the traffic for your box should be wrapped in link encryption so the stuff for other houses is discarded but this is not happening for my ISP so everything not going out over TLS is visible to all the other subscribers on my segment.

its insane that this is even possible. granted I work in mobile where encryption of this kind is a given because everyone's data is constantly beaming through your skull but I can't imagine that happening on our network.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

its insane that this is even possible. granted I work in mobile where encryption of this kind is a given because everyone's data is constantly beaming through your skull but I can't imagine that happening on our network.

Yeah, even if they weren't doing link encryption I would expect the ONT to be discarding all unicast traffic not destined to it. If they were at least doing that I never would have noticed because I don't have my own single-mode interface to plug in to their line.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

I think its more likely they'll just close it as "ipv6 not yet supported" or something to that effect. if you can find the number for the noc or something that would be the way to go.

i think you're all assuming this is being done accidentally, given proper link encryption is fractions of a penny more expensive with most head-end equipment i wouldn't be so sure.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

There's a good chance that whatever whitebox cheap ONTs they're using don't support encryption. From what I've read in the spec it should be using an AES256 key but who knows if whatever lovely little chip crammed in there can support that at full duplex gigabit

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Okay, so I found a spec sheet for this ZTE piece of poo poo and apparently it can't do link encryption but PON networks support UNI/GEM filtering where you assign each device a unique ID and the encapsulation layer knows to discard the frames that aren't destined for it but I guess my ISP just put everybody on the same one so you see other's traffic. Should be trivial for them to at least triage but a proper fix requires them to not buy the cheapest poo poo available from china

e: I guess it also supports filtering based on VLAN tag too. Jesus this is lazy.

ee: And some other conflicting docs say it supports AES128 so I have no idea.

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 1, 2017

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
is it worth reporting spear phishing/wire fraud attempts to the feds?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

is it worth reporting spear phishing/wire fraud attempts to the feds?

Might as well keep the secret service busy with something besides our lovely president

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Yeah, even if they weren't doing link encryption I would expect the ONT to be discarding all unicast traffic not destined to it. If they were at least doing that I never would have noticed because I don't have my own single-mode interface to plug in to their line.

it's gotta be wdm based for upstream ?

but yeah as you mentioned it may support Q-in-Q or similar . Being on a shared medium that they don't expect you to be monitoring , well , that's what you get .

Adelphia was like that back in the day. Network neighborhood literally was the neighborhood for a while there.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Might as well keep the secret service busy with something besides our lovely president

they probably log the domain and point their meager resources at whatever is generating the most complaints so... mildly

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Okay, so I found a spec sheet for this ZTE piece of poo poo and apparently it can't do link encryption but PON networks support UNI/GEM filtering where you assign each device a unique ID and the encapsulation layer knows to discard the frames that aren't destined for it but I guess my ISP just put everybody on the same one so you see other's traffic. Should be trivial for them to at least triage but a proper fix requires them to not buy the cheapest poo poo available from china

e: I guess it also supports filtering based on VLAN tag too. Jesus this is lazy.

It's possible part of this has gone over my head but from a security perspective isn't ONLY filtering on a unique identifier just as much of a security fuckup? Unless you have each link individually encrypted you're still sending everyone's data to everyone else. It seems to me you have to have both, and the unencrypted identifier is only there so that you don't have to waste time decrypting data that isn't yours.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

It's possible part of this has gone over my head but from a security perspective isn't ONLY filtering on a unique identifier just as much of a security fuckup? Unless you have each link individually encrypted you're still sending everyone's data to everyone else. It seems to me you have to have both, and the unencrypted identifier is only there so that you don't have to waste time decrypting data that isn't yours.

Sure, except that most home users don't have the ability to capture optical frames, whereas everyone has the ability to capture ethernet frames. But yes, you are correct that the "proper" way to do it would be to encrypt each channel with a unique certificate for the authorized endpoint with some kind of temporal algorithm.

But lol @ ISP giving a poo poo about customer privacy.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

There is something to be said about the technical hurdle for only filtering because it requires uncommon fiber optics that will discourage curious people poking around. It;'s a poo poo control and gives a false sense of security but at least it keeps the traffic off the rj45 port where its completely trivial to see. I 100% agree that encryption is the only correct solution but its unclear if the hardware supports that and if that is the case its going to take a couple years before the ISP replaces these things with ones that support it.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

True, even if it was cwdm passively you'd be able to "see" it.

Years ago there was something similar with being able to use a tuner card and a c-band dish. This was when you used a dialup ISP for the upstream. You could spoof traffic so it would get sent over the dish, maybe, but you could run software and absorb files and things that were coming over it.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
lomarf https://twitter.com/o_cee/status/892306836199800836

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lol https://twitter.com/iamakulov/status/892485192883073024lol

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Welp, reported through a burner account. They seemed interested in looking in it it and fixing. Hope this doesn't turn lovely on me.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lol i loving knew it, whenever i do an npm search and see like 8 different similarly-named packages clustered around the official one i'm like "lol those are totally stealing poo poo" it's good to see I was right

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Welp, reported through a burner account. They seemed interested in looking in it it and fixing. Hope this doesn't turn lovely on me.
good luck

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

fingers crossed for u

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

This isn't Belong by any chance? They are already in trouble for taking a ton of government money and oversubscribing their services so people are getting lovely speeds in busy areas.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Different ISP, but I'm guessing most of the fiber rollouts that are happening these days are based on the same ZTE ONTs and could be similarly affected. PON is a good tech but oversubscription is possible. If a segment is getting overloaded they're supposed to split it apart to free up bandwidth and have enough dark fiber on whatever uplink they're using to handle it but if you're cheap then that hits your bottom line. These folks have a policy that it should be hitting at least 500mbit during normal peak hours which is nice, I see 800+ on a regular basis.

Anyway, I had some DM back and forth with them and they said they couldn't reproduce the issue and requested a pcap. They seemed interested in actually fixing it so I gave them some traffic capture from a passive Nic with no IP stack on it and they said they found the problem and fixed it. I'm guessing whatever filtering they were using was failing since it wasn't a high enough volume of traffic that I would expect for it to be everything on my network segment. Maybe a known bug in firmware? Still, if they were doing link encryption those should have been passed as garbled nonsense so there's still a bigger issue to deal with.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ymgve posted:

isnt the scam that if you are dumb enough to call one of those numbers, you will get a visit from a girl, but she won't do anything sexual, just hang around

seems like this would put your "girls" at tremendous risk of being beaten, raped, etc

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Sure, except that most home users don't have the ability to capture optical frames, whereas everyone has the ability to capture ethernet frames. But yes, you are correct that the "proper" way to do it would be to encrypt each channel with a unique certificate for the authorized endpoint with some kind of temporal algorithm.

But lol @ ISP giving a poo poo about customer privacy.

where would you even get a PON device

are there real standards for this like 802.3?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

where would you even get a PON device

are there real standards for this like 802.3?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZTE-GPON-ONT-ZXA10-F601-GE-speed-port-English-version-/332061214877?hash=item4d5064089d:g:9KsAAOSwJ7RYT2ng

https://www.cozlink.com/fiber-optic-transceivers-c322-323/product-10586.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsaP0xuu41QIV0YSzCh3XXQMYEAQYASABEgKo__D_BwE

https://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-G.987.1-201603-I/en

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
MikroTik sells an SFP that supports GPON.

https://mikrotik.com/product/SFPONU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
https://twitter.com/motherboard/status/892822308762644485

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

:owned:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

it is completely reasonable :iicr:

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

i wonder how furries fare in countries with a burqa ban :ninja:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

My PIN is 4826 posted:

i wonder how furries fare in countries with a burqa ban :ninja:
i don't think most people consider fursuits religious clothing, so it's probably fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it would depend on whether or not the furry was non-white.

• Locked thread