Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Peachfart posted:

What people think a foreign investment tax will do: Hello, I'm Mr. Chou. I want to park money overseas in Seattle in real estate. Oh no! A foreign investment tax! ::Yellow menace vanishes, rents are cheap again::

What a foreign investment tax will actually do: Hello, I'm Mr. Chou. I want to park money overseas in Seattle in real estate. Oh, a foreign investment tax. I guess I will use a shell company in the USA to get out of paying for this tax entirely. Idiots.

What a vacancy tax will do: blah blah, a vacancy tax? Hm, that means I will need to keep any properties I purchase occupied, and deal with the hassles, taxes, and scrutiny of being a landlord, or pay a large tax. I will avoid this market. (also this one actually affects local rich people, who are the ones actually causing the issue)
I mean, I don't think it's some sort of magic wand, but I think it's definitely a good part of a comprehensive housing plan. Also, if they want to accept corporate tax rates instead of personal tax rates on that property and shell out the additional costs the creation and maintenance of such shell corporations will require, they can be my guest. But that poo poo ain't free, and will help to drive down costs a bit, especially if it's combined with a vacancy tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Peachfart posted:

What people think a foreign investment tax will do: Hello, I'm Mr. Chou. I want to park money overseas in Seattle in real estate. Oh no! A foreign investment tax! ::Yellow menace vanishes, rents are cheap again::

What a foreign investment tax will actually do: Hello, I'm Mr. Chou. I want to park money overseas in Seattle in real estate. Oh, a foreign investment tax. I guess I will use a shell company in the USA to get out of paying for this tax entirely. Idiots.

What a vacancy tax will do: blah blah, a vacancy tax? Hm, that means I will need to keep any properties I purchase occupied, and deal with the hassles, taxes, and scrutiny of being a landlord, or pay a large tax. I will avoid this market. (also this one actually affects local rich people, who are the ones actually causing the issue)

But which option allows me to express my hatred of the Chinese most effectively?

edit: a foreign investment tax only serves to stifle development, a vacancy tax forces foreign investors to invest in affordable housing... which if we're trying to solve the affordability problem I'm not sure how option 1 does that.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 20, 2017

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

ElCondemn posted:

But which option allows me to express my hatred of the Chinese most effectively?

edit: a foreign investment tax only serves to stifle development, a vacancy tax forces foreign investors to invest in affordable housing... which if we're trying to solve the affordability problem I'm not sure how option 1 does that.

But a foreign investment tax lets us focus on 'others' instead of taxing the local rich(ominous music plays). And racism in the guise of helping the poor is priceless.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My preferences for mayor are: Oliver, Moon, McGinn, Hasegawa, Farrell and Durkin. I know Hasegawa is smart, but I watched a bit of the debate and he came across as uniformed and unprepared. Oliver's performance more or less solidified my opinion of her, and Moon came across as a policy wonk, which is fine. I don't want Durkin to win, especially now that she's picking up Ed Murray's donors.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ElCondemn posted:

The way it worked in BC, I'm told, is that it lowered housing prices, because rich foreigners were keeping prices high.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

seiferguy posted:

My preferences for mayor are: Oliver, Moon, McGinn, Hasegawa, Farrell and Durkin. I know Hasegawa is smart, but I watched a bit of the debate and he came across as uniformed and unprepared. Oliver's performance more or less solidified my opinion of her, and Moon came across as a policy wonk, which is fine. I don't want Durkin to win, especially now that she's picking up Ed Murray's donors.

You put Farrell after Hasegawa? Yikes.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

anthonypants posted:

A good vacancy tax should include residential properties held as AirBNB rentals, imho.

This can't be overstated. Since laws we currently have for landlords and hoteliers aren't being applied as should be we need to make doubly sure that future housing laws takes these properties into consideration. In a perfect world that poo poo would just be illegal.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

The Oldest Man posted:

Yeah, Hasegawa seems like the NIMBY/anti-urbanist candidate. IIRC he's compared light rail to dog poop and wants to bring back the (mostly old, white, homeowning) neighborhood councils that try to block any density increases.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

The Puppy Bowl posted:

This can't be overstated. Since laws we currently have for landlords and hoteliers aren't being applied as should be we need to make doubly sure that future housing laws takes these properties into consideration. In a perfect world that poo poo would just be illegal.
Just speaking briefly from the hotelier side, but Seattle is actually facing a chronic shortage of hotel rooms currently. Like, to the point of most of the city (and sometimes the entire metropolitan area) being sold out on any given weeknight during the summer months.

If you're just talking about stuff like AirBnB rentals, then yeah.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

The Oldest Man posted:

I feel mostly the same on the last 3 candidates. I would say there's a pretty big drop off after McGinn though. Like, I would be fine with Oliver, Moon, or McGinn winning, much less so than anyone else.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

anthonypants posted:

The way it worked in BC, I'm told, is that it lowered housing prices, because rich foreigners were keeping prices high.

If the numbers in this article are accurate the situation in Vancouver is very different than ours.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ellens...x/#12f2e40e65e1

In Vancouver it seems foreign investment accounts for a much larger portion of home purchases than in the Seattle area. Here such a tax wouldn't have nearly as big of an impact.

The hard part is we don't have a public record of the data we'd need to make an informed decision about the impact, so we're relying on self reporting by realtors to come up with these conclusions.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

coyo7e posted:

1: you are wrong about the 0 maintenance and 0 emissions on pre-existing dams. To assume that dams don't require constant maintenance is folly and stupidity of the highest order - dams are tremendous feats of human engineering and have a ton of moving parts, as well as parts which suffer stress under 24/7 attacks from that strongest of elements - water. Dams require a lot of maintenance, period. The people performing that maintenance are using vehicles and equipment, they're replacing lost hydraulic fluid that's been slowly leaking into the water, lubricants which the turbines cannot operate safely without, etc etc.. On the topic of "zero maintenance" the dam 20 miles from me up the McKenzie has been under continuous maintenance construction for over three years at this point. http://mckenzieriverreflectionsnewspaper.com/tags/leaburg-dam

Then you go out and say "nobody has been studying it enough - what about flood risks? where do we put the alternative?" https://www.usbr.gov/newsroom/stories/detail.cfm?RecordID=56177

2: You can build windmills anywhere you want. In case you aren't aware, it's REALLY windy all up and down the PNW west of the cascades. I've been to Idaho, I remember it being pretty flat and windy as well.. Now an average onshore wind turbine produces 2.5-3 mW per year, that means, 1000 windmills. That's a like, 33x33 grid of wind turbines, roughly. You want about 10-15 sq acres per turbine, which means 10,000 acres, which is around 16 sq miles, which again, is not a heck of a lot of space.

Also you have other issues which wind turbines DO NOT contribute to: restrictions on fish breeding grounds, sedimentation buildup (which requires TONS of maintenance!), and noise levels - have you ever been near a dam? Wind farms are required to put out less than 50 db of sound at sites where it is measured, around the circumference)

finally, 3000 mW is not "a lot of electricity", it is a lot of power. If you cannot define and internalize the difference between energy, power, and electricity, then you really don't know enough to even form an argument on power production infrastructure.
Really?

You want to argue semantics on the difference between power and electricity? Mega Watts is regularly used to referred to the amount of power produced by power plants. The public at large knows 1-10 MW is loving small. So I am going to use the term most people are familiar with.

With regards to maintenece, I am referring to the fact a dam needs Next to 0 maintenece compared to a coal plant, or nuclear power plant.
(Fresh water is not loving corrosive compared to some of the issues associated with steam or salt water.) I did not list natural gas because really those plants do not need a lot of maintenence either. (Compared to coal or nuclear.)

Yes, occasionally concrete might delaminate and they might have to do the odd job of replacing their older turbines with newer ones. Replacing hydraulic fluid? loving easy.

I am pretty sure wind turbines still use hydraulic fluid and oil in their small generators up at the top. Which I assume needs to be 'topped' up, re-aligned, bearings replaced, every once in a while. Will be interesting to see just how long those generators last until they need to be replaced. (20 years? 40 years?)

With regards to building wind mills... Washington State and Oregon for April have a combined amount of 1470 MW-h
https://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/epm_table_grapher.php?t=epmt_1_14_a

For hydro power... it is just shy of 12,000 MW-h
https://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/epm_table_grapher.php?t=epmt_1_10_a

So where is all this pie in the sky wind power at? Oh its not here you say? We need to increase what we have by.... a factor of 10? We have not built it? Then the smart thing to do in the short term, get all the West coast states and mountain states off coal, then proceed to eliminating natural gas. When that is done, then worry about removing 5-6 dams along the Columbia.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I didn't know there was a resolution making its way through Congress to honor the men who got stabbed on a train by a nazi in Portland, but it looks like the House won't hold a vote on it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

We wouldn't want to inflame public opinion against innocent nazis.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Hi everybody.

I'm sure some of you my remember me from this thread I made last year.

Well after some time I've finally managed to save up enough money to move out to Seattle.

I've decided to move out there in a month.

What would be the best way in finding an apartment and/or roommates?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

punk rebel ecks posted:

Hi everybody.

Well after some time I've finally managed to save up enough money to move out to Seattle.

Get a bunch of money.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

punk rebel ecks posted:

Hi everybody.

Use a time machine and go back to 1997 when everything was cheap.
Alternatively, scour ads and go to the apartment the second it opens up, and make sure you are the first person there. Like literally get there an hour early if it is good. But if you are looking for roommates that might be easier, check craigslist and be on watch for a decent chance of being scammed.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

punk rebel ecks posted:

Hi everybody.

Become a rent boy.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Peachfart posted:

Use a time machine and go back to 1997 when everything was cheap.
Alternatively, scour ads and go to the apartment the second it opens up, and make sure you are the first person there. Like literally get there an hour early if it is good. But if you are looking for roommates that might be easier, check craigslist and be on watch for a decent chance of being scammed.

I see.

Is there a way I could do this stuff long distance? So I have somewhere to go to when I get there so I don't have to Air BnB?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

punk rebel ecks posted:

I see.

Is there a way I could do this stuff long distance? So I have somewhere to go to when I get there so I don't have to Air BnB?
If it's anything like Portland, find a listing, call them up, and make an offer.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

I see.

Yes. Fly here, find a place, put down a deposit, then move here. Alternatively, plan on crashing on a friend's couch or in a motel/hotel for a few weeks while you find a place. Alternatively, be housed by your employer.
I would never in a million loving years rent a place here sight unseen. Maybe if I had a very, very good friend I knew I could trust who I knew has a good eye for scammers look at the place for me. But if they're that good of a friend, I'd probably just crash on their couch while I found a place.

If you can't afford to fly here and look at places before you move here, you probably can't afford to move here.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Dont move to Seattle.

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/real-estate/seattle-home-prices-surge-to-new-high/

quote:

The price of the typical single-family house across King, Snohomish and Pierce counties has now risen 53 percent in just four years.

Nationally, home prices are still below their pre-recession peak. But last month, Case-Shiller reported that the Seattle region had for the first time surpassed its housing price high-point from 2007.

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/real-estate/more-records-fall-median-home-price-hits-722000-in-seattle-and-880000-on-eastside/

quote:

More records fall: Median home price hits $722,000 in Seattle and $880,000 on Eastside

http://www.king5.com/money/markets/real-estate/report-seattle-renters-need-1248-income-boost-to-keep-up-with-rising-rent/429679124

quote:

Nationally, salaries need to rise $168 annually to keep up with rising rent over the next year, according to Zillow’s analysis. In Seattle, renters would need an additional $1,248 in annual compensation to keep up with predicted rent increases.

Compared to Seattle, no other city in the country will cost renters more in the years to come.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Looks like available units have gone up on price in just a couple months. gently caress Seattle.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

FRINGE posted:

Looks like available units have gone up on price in just a couple months. gently caress Seattle.
That only means it's the perfect time to buy, before they go up more!

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

punk rebel ecks posted:

I see.

No.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Move to Everett first and take the bus into Seattle, then search for housing in the city if you really want to live there? Maybe rent a room, not an apartment at first.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Move to Everett first and take the bus into Seattle, then search for housing in the city if you really want to live there? Maybe rent a room, not an apartment at first.

I may have missed a question somewhere, are we answering "How do I hate living "in" Seattle?"

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

ElCondemn posted:

I may have missed a question somewhere, are we answering "How do I hate living "in" Seattle?"

The answer to that question is make under 6 figures a year while living in Seattle.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
If you have to drive anywhere ever then your life will be hell.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
I drive everywhere all the time and it's not bad? :shrug:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

punk rebel ecks posted:

Hi everybody.

I don't mean to pry and by all means don't answer if you aren't comfortable, but do you have a job lined up? Do you have experience and education in a high demand field? If not, reconsider.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Washingtonians, don't forget to drop off or get your ballot in the mail today.

Unless you're a Seattlite voting for Durkan, in which case please do forget to drop off or get your ballot in the mail today.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

ElCondemn posted:

If your rental is close to one of the park and rides and your bus can get you reasonably close to work this isn't a bad idea at all. I know folks love to poo poo all over anyone who's too poor to live outside of Seattle, but not everyone can reasonably afford it.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

If your rental is close to one of the park and rides and your bus can get you reasonably close to work this isn't a bad idea at all. I know folks love to poo poo all over anyone who's too poor to live outside of Seattle, but not everyone can reasonably afford it.

I used to live in Everett and would commute to downtown Seattle because it was affordable. My park and ride was constantly full so I had to transfer but even without the transfer the commute was 45mjn-90min depending on the traffic. I understand some people don't mind but I just can't do it again, I'd rather share a lovely rental than ever live that far again.

Not only are you losing 2+ hours a day to your commute if you want to do anything for fun you're traveling down to Lynwood at minimum which even driving can take about 30 min average.

Edit I lived in north Everett right off of broadway

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

DrNutt posted:

I don't mean to pry and by all means don't answer if you aren't comfortable, but do you have a job lined up? Do you have experience and education in a high demand field? If not, reconsider.

^^Follow this goon's advice. My father recently told me of an old friend of his who moved to the Seattle area from Boston. He left a good paying job for a worse paying one and also pays more rent, just because he missed living in the Seattle area, and it sounds like he regrets it.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I too would regret moving to any city with Bezos' Balls deep inside it

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Jenny Durkan is cruising to win the primary :sigh: Cary Moon is in 2nd, and Oliver is in a close 3rd. Late ballots could tip in Oliver's favor.

Not sure if Moon or Oliver has the firepower to beat Durkan.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

seiferguy posted:

Jenny Durkan is cruising to win the primary :sigh: Cary Moon is in 2nd, and Oliver is in a close 3rd. Late ballots could tip in Oliver's favor.

Not sure if Moon or Oliver has the firepower to beat Durkan.

i'll be happy to have an actual progressive with ideals i support on the ballot in november. electability is a fake idea

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I'm pretty sad my pony is so far behind. I really like Jessyn :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Venuz Patrol posted:

i'll be happy to have an actual progressive with ideals i support on the ballot in november. electability is a fake idea

Durkan wanted to run against Oliver.

I think she'd've been better off against McGinn. I'm happy he's not making it to the general, even though I like him quite a bit.