Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

didn't ms abandon their jvm like a decade ago?

closer to 20 years ago, when sun sued over it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
iirc it shipped with 98 but not 98se or ME right?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

iirc it shipped with 98 but not 98se or ME right?

something like that, i remember in the early technet days there was a weird cap where you could still download really old versions of windows and also newer ones, but a handful in the "middle" were unavailable because of sun's lawsuit

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i just vaguely remember being pissed because i suddenly had to go download the sun jvm, which even then was massive and had a bloated as poo poo installer

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i just vaguely remember being pissed because i suddenly had to go download the sun jvm, which even then was massive and had a bloated as poo poo installer

dont sign your posts with descriptions of your mom and the geek squad goons she bangs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

:thunk:

much like your mother's rear end, that's a stretch

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

:thunk:

much like your mother's rear end, that's a stretch

:discourse:

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Well done, everybody.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
windows may be fine but a piece of software being windows only is a huge alarm bell that it's a pile of poo poo with a terrible ui made by morons forced on people who only want to escape and be happy but unfortunately this giant menu driven pile of trash only runs on Windows!

pram
Jun 10, 2001
windows was a mistake - bill gates

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

pram posted:

windows was a mistake - bill gates
windows was an anime - solid snake

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

microsoft has no taste - a dead man

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

microsoft has no taste - a dead man

he may be dead but he was right

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well sure, and even so, he's still dead

gates got his revenge

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Phobeste posted:

windows may be fine but a piece of software being windows only is a huge alarm bell that it's a pile of poo poo with a terrible ui made by morons forced on people who only want to escape and be happy but unfortunately this giant menu driven pile of trash only runs on Windows!

Hmm.... You sound like a man who has never actually tried using a cross platform gui app.

Have you tried Gimp before? How about Inkscape?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qt is good

well.

it's ok

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

closer to 20 years ago, when sun sued over its noncompliance with the spec and the contracts they agreed to

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the Microsoft jvm is called the clr now. and Microsoft java is known as c#.

.net is derivative as hell, but it ain't java. it was good when sun sued Microsoft and forced them to name their non-java, java-like platform something else

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
ahahahahahahhahaha for hutviolence play reviews this year some fucko trots out with a loving surface with a glare box and thats what the refs stare at

:lol:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
aaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha

https://twitter.com/briangalicia/status/893293557833846784

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

gonna be lolerskates when one of those auto-reboots for updates in the middle of a play review

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

so the hololens isn't functional for refs to see it in realtime with?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

laff

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i put in my preorder for nothing???

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
https://twitter.com/SBNation/status/893298127775694848

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

i used one and it was a dumb gimmick and i almost ran into a few people that's my hololens story

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

CommunistPancake posted:

i used one and it was a dumb gimmick and i almost ran into a few people that's my hololens story

Is Peter Jackson's work going to supersede the Hollalens?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEQPm126NyM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S14AVwaBF-Y

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what if movies, but you have to walk around awkwardly holding an ipad in front of you?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

what if movies, but you have to walk around awkwardly holding an ipad in front of you?

thats how people watch movies now though

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

i'm throwing money at the screen

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

man i dont know what the gently caress but windows screwed up my sound and i had to reinstall and wipe the drivers like five times. i think its fine now. there'd be a low pass filter and i'd get zero bass

pram
Jun 10, 2001
windows becoming more linux like by the month

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

gnu/windows 10

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

hifi posted:

there'd be a low pass filter and i'd get zero bass

what does this mean

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

a filter that passes signals with a frequencylower than a certain cutoff frequency and attenuates signals with frequencies higher than the cutoff frequency

He was only getting highs :2bong:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Blue Train posted:

afilterthat passes signals with a frequencylowerthan a certain cutoff frequency and attenuates signals with frequencies higher than the cutoff frequency

He was only getting highs :2bong:

shameful for somebody named "hifi"

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

yeah. t he other way around

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

so is it a thing or a known fact that edge is likely using a set of static dns servers? because if not lol at this

i tried to filter out msn on my home network using an internal dns server, but edge kept evading until i wrote some router firewall rules to forcibly redirect all dns traffic, like it was some internet appliance and not a major browser

like i assume this is to avoid malware redirecting with a dns server or something but this is the most blunt way to do so and so far has only enabled edge to continuously feed lovely msn news articles to new browser windows and evade filtering their own bundleware

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Agile Vector posted:

i assume this is to avoid malware redirecting

hmm nope

Agile Vector posted:

only enabled edge to continuously feed lovely msn news articles to new browser windows and evade filtering their own bundleware

yep

• Locked thread