Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tomarse posted:

That will definitely last a few years.

You do know you can buy spare poles and patch ripped canvas tho? (my big tent is living proof of this as it is a poo poo design and snaps poles whenever there is any wind)

(I would have offered to get it couriered to you if I'd read the forums thismorning!)

Yeah but it was turbo hosed. Single pole teepee design and it punched the pole through the lovely mesh top. No way to temporarily patch it and it tore the thin nylon in a couple of places as it came down. It was cheap and let us nothing. Thanks for the offer also.

How is it people think nothing of spending 40k on a camper or 20k on a caravan but get over £250 on a tent and people think you're mad? (I think it's mad but I also think I'm over buying cheap novelty tents)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

cakesmith handyman posted:

How is it people think nothing of spending 40k on a camper or 20k on a caravan but get over £250 on a tent and people think you're mad? (I think it's mad but I also think I'm over buying cheap novelty tents)

Mostly because the last time I bought a tent was about 25 years ago and $250 would have been the biggest bestest tent you could possibly buy in what was then the big outdoors store (Popular Outfitters or something). I see what you are saying, but the price you posted just shocked me because I'm stuck 3 decades in the past for camping gear prices.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Enourmo posted:

shockingly some people's hatred of gay/lesbian people overrides their desire to see The Tiddy cause preacher man told em the sky wizard just hates it when two ladies kiss

Oh man, this reminds me.

Alexander the Great was, almost everyone agrees, "Greek" in modern parlance. He did conquered Persia, and this gives some modern day Persian weird ideas about how he was, in fact, a Persian since Persia would never allow itself to be conquered by a Greek.

With this historical revisionism in mind, it's not that weird that a large share of the movie goers were Iranians when I went to see Oliver Stones Alexander here in Sweden. Cue shocked silence from about half the audience at the scene where Alexander kisses his male lover. A not insignificant number left after this. A trio of teenagers in front of me kept half-shouting anti-gay remarks the rest of the movie at random intervalls. As we left after the movie, I happened to walk out just behind these three, who walked in brooding silence until one of them stopped and asked no one in particular "So wait, Alexander was a fag?", as the other two did their best to ignore him and keep on walking.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Agreed. Put it in a boogy board bag too no one looks in those

drat edgy af

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Yeah but it was turbo hosed. Single pole teepee design and it punched the pole through the lovely mesh top. No way to temporarily patch it and it tore the thin nylon in a couple of places as it came down. It was cheap and let us nothing. Thanks for the offer also.

Things you get with a campervan:
suspension
flushing toilet
alternator
wardrobe
gas heater
storage cupboards
TV
fuel injection

Things you get with a tent:
a zip
hypothermia
lucky

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

No, I think spending that money on a caravan or camper is silly too.

I think that it's because I don't associate camping in a tent with being a family activity, rather a minimalist thing people do to get away from stuff. Person on their own disappearing off to get some peace and quiet.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Tents?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Bear country?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Bear country?
Bear is driving? How can that be?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Geoj posted:

With it being Texas I would assume state law mandates a tax on anyone guilty of not engaging in conspicuous overconsumption.

No kidding.

I got them to move me to another plan, but still not quite the plan I wanted - I get a $100 credit if I use between 1000-1500 kWh per month, $30 credit if I use between 500-1000. The rate between 1000-1500 is something like 5c/kWh, 9c at 500-1000 (factoring in the credits), but skyrockets to something like 15c/kWh if I use over 1500. I think I broke 1500 once or twice with the old ac. I used a hair under 1000 kWh last month, and my bill came out to about 12.5c/kWh.

Just looked at my power usage for this billing cycle. 60 kWh the day I got the washer and dryer :stare: (but I also did a month's worth of laundry that night) - but usually more like 35 kWh most days this billing cycle. Guess it's time to crank the ac down to 70 and leave it running when I'm not home. And do laundry every day. And run the dishwasher every day. And crank the water heater temp way up.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

It sounds like they are doing a kinda bs version of time of use billing. They are assuming with the lower usage, that you are using all of that power during peak times, which contributes negatively to their peak demand surcharge.

So I guess they didn't want to spend the capital to install a metering system capable of billing by peak time, and this was their frankly baloney and confusing third option.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oh they can do peak billing here - I have a smart meter, the infrastructure is in place, and some of the REPs (retail electric providers) do offer free nights/weekends (but somewhat painful rates during the day). I can see daily usage, down to 15 minute increments, though the REP I have now doesn't show that info (I have to go to smartmetertexas.com to see that info with Gexa.. Reliant and TXU show it in your account portal).

But I'm in a deregulated market. I can choose the company that bills me and handles customer service, though the power still comes from the same grid. The deregulation has lead to some really hosed up rate plans, along with a shitload of fly by night companies that shut you off at 12:01 AM the day your bill is due. There's a few major name providers in my area (Gexa, TXU, Reliant), and a ton of fly by nights. I stick with the major name companies.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Must be some fuckery with needing to sell a certain minimum of MWh on their "system". I dunno!

My coop owns and operates our entire distribution network, with a flat rate of 10.5¢/KWh. I will say, an often overlooked portion of the power bill is your "service fee" or whatever they term it, the amount you get charged up front before any usage is added. I've heard of some poco's charging upwards of $50/month for residential. Of course, the bill isn't broken down where you see the charge+usage. With fees that high, it has to be part of the discussion as well imo.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Jesus loving Christ... I'm paying 41c/kWh here in south Aus..... it's hosed!

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
You ain't lived till you've slept with another dude in the back of a box truck.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Ferremit posted:

Jesus loving Christ... I'm paying 41c/kWh here in south Aus..... it's hosed!

You guys got a bunch of problems with your grid in SA don't you? That's not helping I bet.

23.21 to 26.75c is the range I've paid over the last year here in NZ, that's 17 to 19c in Ameribucks.

Edit: 25c US per day "Fixed Charge" as well for the guy who bought up additional fees.

BuckyDoneGun fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 3, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jesus gently caress you guys in Au and NZ pay a shitload :stonk:

angryrobots posted:

Must be some fuckery with needing to sell a certain minimum of MWh on their "system". I dunno!

My coop owns and operates our entire distribution network, with a flat rate of 10.5¢/KWh. I will say, an often overlooked portion of the power bill is your "service fee" or whatever they term it, the amount you get charged up front before any usage is added. I've heard of some poco's charging upwards of $50/month for residential. Of course, the bill isn't broken down where you see the charge+usage. With fees that high, it has to be part of the discussion as well imo.

Thankfully my bills are pretty detailed (and I think state law requires them to be this detailed), but I've only been with Gexa for 3 months. Wasn't really looking that close, and my bills were pretty close to what they were last summer. My own fault for not looking at actual usage (which is much, much lower than last summer). It also shows meter readings, but I left that part off since it has my ESID and account # on that line.

Not shown is the first page, up at the top: "The average price you paid for electric service this month (per kWh) = $0.1227". Of course, on the second page, it claims "Your Energy Charge per kWh is 7.39 cents.", but that's just the Gexa portion, so it's a bit misleading... TDU/Oncor charges their bit also (which is also based on actual usage), which added up to the 12.27c I wound up paying (the rate plans are quoted with both charges included).

I guess I shouldn't have said I get a fee for using too little power; rather, I get a line item bill credit if I use more power. Boils down to the same thing though. I have nobody to blame except myself for not reading the pricing tiers closer before choosing the plan, but they were able to get me switched to a plan that's a lot better for my expected usage.

Gingerbread House Music posted:

You ain't lived till you've slept with another dude in the back of a box truck.

Done, but I'm up for a reenactment if you are. :quagmire:

poo poo. you mean actually sleeping, don't you?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 3, 2017

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Yeah we've had one of our brown coal plants shut down recently (which everyone is blaming the gov on even tho it's privately owned and the mine that fed it had <5 years supply left anyway and that's put a pinch on supply, but the entire generation side of the game is privately owned and they won't turn generators on unless the price is high enough. So they're putting in a 100MW battery array in and building a gov owned power station.

We also get pinged 91c a day "supply charge" as well

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hmmm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nfc3kOoDbc

It appears to be hosed.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Energy is cheap here

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ferremit posted:

Yeah we've had one of our brown coal plants shut down recently (which everyone is blaming the gov on even tho it's privately owned and the mine that fed it had <5 years supply left anyway and that's put a pinch on supply, but the entire generation side of the game is privately owned and they won't turn generators on unless the price is high enough. So they're putting in a 100MW battery array in and building a gov owned power station.

That varies state to state here, sometimes even region to region within a state. For that matter, sometimes from city to city within a metro area.

The city I live in is mostly on a city-owned, non-profit system (Garland Power & Light); they have one residential plan. Oncor is the largest grid in TX (and the grid I'm connected to), and is privately owned, for-profit; they used to be known as TXU; before deregulation, they were the sole retail provider in their areas. The grids are still connected to each other for the most part, but the city-owned grids own their own generation as well, and handle all the billing, customer service, own the wires right up to the meter, etc.

To be honest, it seems like the deregulation has hurt electric rates more than helped. The city owned systems (or systems serving only one city) tend to be very reasonable on rates. The power's still coming from the same wires, grids, etc; the deregulation just added another middleman to handle billing and c/s.

There's something like 20 different plans I can choose from with the provider I have now... and they're all geared toward a slightly different type of usage profile (and carbon credits). Most of them are geared toward people who use 2000 kWh :smith:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 3, 2017

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I thought there was something unique about the Texas grid as well. Like its self sufficient or not interconnected to the rest of the nation.

Either way, I only have one choice, a rural electric co-op. Its 10.51c/kwh. They are by far and large the most reliable electric provider I have ever had. The longest/only outage in 3 years lasted 20 minutes. Way better than dominion in VA and RG&E back in NY.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

To be honest, it seems like the deregulation has hurt electric rates more than helped

Deregulation making things more expensive, say it aint so!

Sweden used to be heavily regulated up until the nineties, and after that everytime we've had a conservative goverment they privatized and deregulated as much as they can, and everytime social democrats get back in they go "welp, nothing we can do about that". And let me assure you, NOTHING of this has actually benefited the average Joe. Healthcare in particular has seen budgets shrink a lot, and then when it works like poo poo they go "oh no, better privatize more, that'll surely make it work better". Hmm, I wonder why healthcare spending as a % of GDP has increased eight times the inflation since 2000, but there's still headlines every other day of doctors and nurses quitting because of being overworked, with the wages lagging behind and working hours being poo poo rear end cock.

EDIT: Also, I pay 6c/kWh, including 3c/kWh in tax.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 3, 2017

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Yup theres east and west and special snowflake texas. Each one has to keep their sine wave steady across the entire thing but are independent of one another in terms of phase.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

To be honest, it seems like the deregulation has hurt electric rates more than helped. The city owned systems (or systems serving only one city) tend to be very reasonable on rates. The power's still coming from the same wires, grids, etc; the deregulation just added another middleman to handle billing and c/s.

It sounds like deregulation in your case just added another outstretched hand looking for their cut (to pay for marketing something you have to buy anyway).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_U.S._power_transmission_grid

Most of TX is indeed on its own grid. My hometown is tied into the same grid as the western US though.

I lived at my last address for 6 years, and there was probably a total of 2 hours of power outages (about 1.5 hours of that was in one event - no storms or weather, it just went bloop for a few square miles). For the first 6 months or so I lived at my current place, the power was probably out for 1-2 hours a week (usually short outages, anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes). It's gotten a lot better, it only goes out during storms now. Both addresses are on the same retail provider and tied into the same Oncor grid.

Adiabatic posted:

Yup theres east and west and special snowflake texas. Each one has to keep their sine wave steady across the entire thing but are independent of one another in terms of phase.

Well.. "east" would really be most of the state, "west" is only far west (and is tied into the western interconnect), but yeah, special snowflake TX is on SPP.

angryrobots posted:

It sounds like deregulation in your case just added another outstretched hand looking for their cut (to pay for marketing something you have to buy anyway).

Yup! When's the last time you saw a commercial on TV for electricity in an area that's not deregulated? TXU, Reliant, and Gexa all run lots of advertising here; some of the smaller companies do too.

NOT THE FREETEA

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 3, 2017

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Jesus gently caress you guys in Au and NZ pay a shitload :stonk:

I can't speak for Australia because they're just strange in a bunch of ways, but in NZ, *everything* is expensive because we're a tiny island at the arse end of the world miles from anything.

The issues in the power market are:
Geography - the South Island has most of the generating capacity/potential, but 75% of the population lives in the North Island. There's an HVDC link between the island but obviously that's not efficient, I think it has 1.2MW capacity.
Deregulation - has led to a half state-owned, half private system. It's complicated and I don't really understand it, but in the initial years after deregulation you had even the state-owned parts being run in a for-profit fashion, and the grid operator decided to cease investment in many assets, expecting distributed micro-generation to be the future. Which it might still be, but this was 20-30 years ago and that future is still a ways off, so suddenly they realised they quickly needed to invest in crumbling infrastructure (famously demonstrated in 1998 when the Auckland CBD was blacked out for FIVE WEEKS). Consumers are now paying the price for that.

One thing that's awesome is the Manapouri power station, the largest hydro plant in the country, which is built in a National Park, with no road access, and the main machine hall is 200m below the lake level, carved out of solid granite.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Enourmo posted:

Right now I'm on track to graduate next May. If I take fall or spring semester off, well, senior design 2 isn't offered over summer for *reasons*, so it would push my graduation back all the way to December. I can only put off finishing, and thus getting a job, for so long.

Take a semester off for a co-op or internship. Make some money, relax a bit and get work experience.

Still so much work to do on my garage. The entire contents of it have been in the living room for a few weeks and the wife hasn't killed me yet. What a woman. :allears:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

hey rhyno did you ever end up buying that stupid lovely blu android phone?

cause they're still at it, lmbo

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/08/citing-privacy-threats-amazon-stops-selling-some-android-phones-from-blu/

Yeah I used it for a few weeks. It's a media player/torque interface now.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
What's up with the cruiser?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fo3 posted:

What's up with the cruiser?

Overheated. Five minutes of googling says these things overheat if you smoke a cigarette inside of them so who knows the cause right now.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

Overheated. Five minutes of googling says these things overheat if you smoke a cigarette inside of them so who knows the cause right now.

The cause is the Neon motor. Head gaskets are normal wear items.

:rip: freeT Cruiser

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So here's what I need.

I need to PT to make a 3.5 hour trip without exploding.

Solutions and GO

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Replace the head gasket.

Or tow it.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Sikorsky sky-crane

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
55-gallon drum of water feeding your cooling system.

You're welcome. Godspeed.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

So here's what I need.

I need to PT to make a 3.5 hour trip without exploding.

Solutions and GO

Put it on a flatbed

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
These are not the solutions I want to hear!

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

scuz posted:

55-gallon drum of water feeding your cooling system.

You're welcome. Godspeed.
I second the total loss cooling system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

These are not the solutions I want to hear!

why not drive one of your not lovely cars? just flip the fuckin turd before you regret it and the insurance money you're spending on it

• Locked thread