Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Liquid Drink posted:

This is a crazy concept, but maybe if the democrats want to win in 2020 they elect a white or black male. Because this country isn't going to elect a woman, let alone a woman of color, in our current electoral college system.

the new chair of the oklahoma dems is a woman. that shouldn't even be possible in the bible thumpinest, blood-reddest state. we're so conservative our soil is loving red

i think you're mistaken on whether or not a woman can get elected president

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Liquid Drink posted:

This is a crazy concept, but maybe if the democrats want to win in 2020 they elect a white or black male. Because this country isn't going to elect a woman, let alone a woman of color, in our current electoral college system.

Bullshit.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Lightning Lord posted:

You don't have to, I'm just saying that not every critique of her is people saying they're going to take their ball and go home, and acting like it is, is being disingenuous IMO

I walked the walk in 2016 so I'm not being disingenuous. All this new information puts Harris in the Gillibrand/Booker camp of irredeemable centrist trash that has to be defeated in 2020. That doesn't mean take your ball and go home because Hillary's moneymen are meeting with Harris. That means fight like hell in the primaries to try to get an actual progressive nominated.

(when the dems nominate somebody like Zuckerberg/Gillbrand/Booker/Harris/Clinton/Biden/M. Obama, that's when I'll take my ball and go home)

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

Condiv posted:

the new chair of the oklahoma dems is a woman. that shouldn't even be possible in the bible thumpinest, blood-reddest state. we're so conservative our soil is loving red

i think you're mistaken on whether or not a woman can get elected president

I just think this nation is more sexist than racist. Just my opinion. We shouldn't run on "in a perfect world" scenarios.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Liquid Drink posted:

How about we pick the candidate with the best policy agenda and not care about dumb bullshit like this? We just need candidates who wants to actually help the people of this country, and I don't care what their genitals or skin color are.

Hillary didn't lose because of sexism.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Liquid Drink posted:

I just think this nation is more sexist than racist. Just my opinion. We shouldn't run on "in a perfect world" scenarios.

we shouldn't run candidates specifically to cater to sexism either tho.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

WampaLord posted:

How about we pick the candidate with the best policy agenda and not care about dumb bullshit like this? We just need candidates who wants to actually help the people of this country, and I don't care what their genitals or skin color are.

Hillary didn't lose because of sexism.

I know you don't, I don't either. Many do.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Liquid Drink posted:

I know you don't, I don't either. Many do.

We heard this same argument with Obama pre-2008 any time his polling dipped. "America won't elect a black president!"

Now suddenly it's "only run white males or black males" lmao. What, no Latinos?

People just want charismatic candidates who they think will represent their interests fairly. It's not hard to figure out.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Condiv posted:

we shouldn't run candidates specifically to cater to sexism either tho.

I'm just looking at current candidates on our side and it seems like poo poo all around.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Liquid Drink posted:

I'm just looking at current candidates on our side and it seems like poo poo all around.

we got bernie. we got paula. we got laura, we got iron stache, we got jaffe. we got a lot of good candidates, and new ones pop up every day

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I'm not pro Harris, I just think the discussion of the pros and cons of candidates is worthwhile. Having a tantrum like JC because people are doing it is just stupid.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Liquid Drink posted:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/bernie-sanders-leaders-of-the-democrats-231549

Good thing we got CENTRIST Bernie who is part of the CENTRIST failing Dems CENTRIST leadership team and campaigned last year for a CENTRIST slaveowner and voted for CENTRIST Chuck Schumer.

I unironically support him for 2020 but that's what you can expect from CENTRIST filth like me.

ps centrists

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Condiv posted:

we got bernie. we got paula. we got laura, we got iron stache, we got jaffe. we got a lot of good candidates, and new ones pop up every day

Almost none of these are prove politicians in the national scene are you kidding me?

All it takes is one gaff.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Does Harris support Single Payer? If not she and any other Dem can gently caress off forever.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

JeffersonClay posted:

I've already quoted the law in question and I'm right.

1) Student needs to be chronically truant. That means missing more than 10% of school, non-excused, so illness/family event doesn't count.
2) Parent is only prosecutable if they've failed to "reasonably supervise and encourage school attendance"
3) Parent is only prosecutable if they've previously received "language accessible support services to address the pupil's truancy".
4) If found guilty, the court has a substantial number of non-fine, non-incarceration options as remedies.

Yeah, that's why I added the second point (the first one wasn't said rhetorically, I actually didn't know if that was part of the law). Even in the best case, I don't see how this idea actually helps anything. Like, the ultimate punishment should just be having CPS take the children away; there's not really any situation where fining/imprisoning the parent leads to a superior outcome.

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Liquid Drink posted:

If Harris gets the nomination, then Trump wins easily in 2020.

I agree 100%.

A women will not win a presidential election in my lifetime.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

CENTRIST iron stache attacked GOOD LEFTISTS for not supporting CENTRIST Hillary hth

http://progressivearmy.com/2017/06/25/is-iron-stache-randy-bryce-establishment-in-disguise/

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

No. Harris followed up with a bill that defines truancy as being absent or arriving more than 30 minutes late without a valid excuse three times in a school year.

You're also completely ignoring the core argument, which is whether it's either moral or effective to jail parents for their children's truancy (it's neither).

Chronic truancy is defined as missing more than 10% of school. The parents of chronically truant children can be prosecuted if the parents have already received services aimed at helping them support their children, and if the parents have not reasonably supervised and encouraged attendance. Harris did not prosecute, nor suggest prosecuting, simple truancy.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JailTrump posted:

Almost none of these are prove politicians in the national scene are you kidding me?

Let me tell you the tale of a junior Senator named Barack Hussein Obama.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

BadOptics posted:

Rehabilitation is for the alt-left, it would be better to just fine/jail everyone in this thread so they learn their place. /s

Friendly reminder: this is the same Democratic Party that killed the AFDC for workfare, while simultaneously providing zero ability to actually help people get a job.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Does Harris support Single Payer? If not she and any other Dem can gently caress off forever.

She said something like "I support single payer as a concept".

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

yronic heroism posted:

CENTRIST iron stache attacked GOOD LEFTISTS for not supporting CENTRIST Hillary hth

http://progressivearmy.com/2017/06/25/is-iron-stache-randy-bryce-establishment-in-disguise/

Lol this guy has never run for office before much less won anything or been properly vetted and you your him as a potential presidential candidate. Jesus it's sad.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Condiv posted:

Look, I know your intentions here are good, but some of these people (you could argue pretty much all of them except Bernie) aren't intrinsically more reliable than pre-President Obama when it comes to progressive bona fides. I feel like you're just assuming anyone who opposes bad Democrats must be a good leftist, but that isn't really an assumption you can safely make. I think it makes sense to cautiously support people like this, but you're just setting yourself up for disappointment if you project all your own opinions onto these people.

Like, I would prefer all those people to those they're running against and would vote for them if I lived in the relevant districts, but they don't exactly send many signals in the way of being leftist. Expressed support for single payer is probably the only thing that comes to mind, since expressing support for $15/hr minimum wage has become pretty mainstream at this point.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Liquid Drink posted:

It looks like poo poo because it is poo poo. The dems put all their eggs into the basket of "It'S hEr TuRn!!!!" and after eight years of Abuela the demographics of the nation would have changed enough that they could run any centrist piece of trash and walk their way to the White House. Instead they have no one viable for 2020, a non-existent bench because they've been getting their asses handed to them at the local level, and a youth demographic that's getting inducted into fascism via YouTube.

Had the dems literally done nothing the past nine years, they'd be in better shape than they are right now. Completely pathetic.

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

Let me tell you the tale of a junior Senator named Barack Hussein Obama.

By this point in the cycle Obama was already a senator after serving as a state senator and had spoken on the national stage. He was also a Harvard graduate lawyer and editor of the Harvard law review. He was also a once in a lifetime politician with oratory skills that are up there with the best in history.

Are you really comparing these people - half who have never held office period- with him? Because it's absolutely insane.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
It occurs to me: if you'd be satisfied and comfortable under Clinton, you'd be just as satisfied under Trump if you ignore his buffoonery.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JailTrump posted:

By this point in the cycle Obama was already a senator after serving as a state senator and had spoken on the national stage. He was also a Harvard graduate lawyer and editor of the Harvard law review. He was also a once in a lifetime politician with oratory skills that are up there with the best in history.

Are you really comparing these people - half who have never held office period- with him? Because it's absolutely insane.

If you're going to hold out for "a once in a lifetime politician with oratory skills that are up there with the best in history" then you're going to be waiting a long rear end while.

My point was that "unknown on the national stage" isn't a disqualifier. And also Bernie is the most popular politician in America and is quite well known nationally.

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

C. Everett Koop posted:

Had the dems literally done nothing the past nine years, they'd be in better shape than they are right now. Completely pathetic.

Of course any party not in power is better off in any election that one that is not.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh, you guys are gonna love this:

https://twitter.com/politico/status/892876700358520832

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Sneakster posted:

It occurs to me: if you'd be satisfied and comfortable under Clinton, you'd be just as satisfied under Trump if you ignore his buffoonery.

If by buffoonery you mean deporting my best friends father - sure.

Shut the gently caress up.

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

No one is ever going to vote for this chucklefuck.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Ytlaya posted:

Look, I know your intentions here are good, but some of these people (you could argue pretty much all of them except Bernie) aren't intrinsically more reliable than pre-President Obama when it comes to progressive bona fides. I feel like you're just assuming anyone who opposes bad Democrats must be a good leftist, but that isn't really an assumption you can safely make. I think it makes sense to cautiously support people like this, but you're just setting yourself up for disappointment if you project all your own opinions onto these people.

Like, I would prefer all those people to those they're running against and would vote for them if I lived in the relevant districts, but they don't exactly send many signals in the way of being leftist. Expressed support for single payer is probably the only thing that comes to mind, since expressing support for $15/hr minimum wage has become pretty mainstream at this point.

unlike most believe, i'm quite pragmatic. i just have limits to how far i'll compromise. all those candidates look good so far to me, and i haven't seen any major dealbreakers, so i'm happy about them

yronic heroism posted:

this is idiotic. not surprising considering it's you

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

JailTrump posted:

*lives in a world where donald trump is president*
*still believes one gaffe will sink a campaign*
*is dumb af*

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Sicko centrist prof arrested

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

JailTrump posted:

If by buffoonery you mean deporting my best friends father - sure.

Shut the gently caress up.
This isn't unique to Trump.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I might actually love this. Centrists are dumb enough he might actually suck enough air out of the room that he becomes the only viable centrist and a leftist can actually win the primary.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Sneakster posted:

Sneakster posted:

I'm not saying you're human garbage, but you've created an amazing simulation of it.

:ironicat:

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

this is idiotic. not surprising considering it's you

It's idiotic to say endorsing Hillary and telling leftists to vote for her is centrist?

:colbert: sounds like something a centrist would say.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 3, 2017

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I might actually love this. Centrists are dumb enough he might actually suck enough air out of the room that he becomes the only viable centrist and a leftist can actually win the primary.

He will win the primary if he runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
If you're just going to pursue the same policy with a different circus act, whats the difference?

It's not a course correction, it's a presentation correction. Trump talks a good game.

• Locked thread