Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Trabisnikof posted:

She certainly could have reduced the number of prison slaves in California if she had wanted to do so. It seems insane to me to think it is fine to keep adding thousands of people into slavery but somehow stopping a few people from exiting slavery is much much worse.

explain? how could she have reduced the number of inmates? i agree we need to significantly reduce the inmate population in this country, so if you claim she's culpable in not doing anything about that i guess that's the case

quote:

Asking for a candidate that has never taken actions that led fellow humans into slavery isn't asking for perfection is it?

that's not actually what i've asked for though? i've always criticized harris and clinton (specifically those two) wrt penal slavery because both had the power to not partake in one way or another, and both chose to anyway. harris kept people locked up that she was ordered to release, hillary (and bill) did not have to perpetuate using slave labor to staff the governor's mansion. and hillary definitely didn't have to wax eloquent about the (lacking) emotional intelligence of her wards. do you understand a little better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Condiv posted:

explain? how could she have reduced the number of inmates? i agree we need to significantly reduce the inmate population in this country, so if you claim she's culpable in not doing anything about that i guess that's the case

that's not actually what i've asked for though? i've always criticized harris and clinton (specifically those two) wrt penal slavery because both had the power to not partake in one way or another, and both chose to anyway. harris kept people locked up that she was ordered to release, hillary (and bill) did not have to perpetuate using slave labor to staff the governors mansion. and hillary definitely didn't have to wax eloquent about the (lacking) emotional intelligence of her wards. do you understand a little better?

I'm saying Harris had the chance to keep people out of slavery by not prosecuting or pleading cases. I understand you're ok with slavery so long as it is blessed by a judge but I'm not.

I want a candidate that has never taken actions that led a fellow human into slavery and I don't think that's asking for perfection.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Lord posted:

Stop with this disingenuous talking point you robot.

Educational neglect is one of the legally defined areas of child neglect. Here's New York.

http://codes.findlaw.com/ny/family-court-act/fct-sect-1012.html

quote:

“Neglected child” means a child less than eighteen years of age

(i) whose physical, mental or emotional condition has been impaired or is in imminent danger of becoming impaired as a result of the failure of his parent or other person legally responsible for his care to exercise a minimum degree of care

(A) in supplying the child with adequate food, clothing, shelter or education in accordance with the provisions of part one of article sixty-five of the education law, or medical, dental, optometrical or surgical care, though financially able to do so or offered financial or other reasonable means to do so;  or;

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm happy we're finally shifting the discourse on this, it is slavery, but we should actually be loving serious about this and not just use it as a cudgel against some candidates while ignoring the pro-slavery history of another. Joe Biden I'm looking at your slaving rear end.

https://ballotpedia.org/Colorado_Removal_of_Exception_to_Slavery_Prohibition_for_Criminals,_Amendment_T_(2016)

Worth noting that Colorado almost banned this last year, it just narrowly lost. Dems refusing to call it slavery is absurd.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

JeffersonClay posted:

Educational neglect is one of the legally defined areas of child neglect. Here's New York.

http://codes.findlaw.com/ny/family-court-act/fct-sect-1012.html

It's also a CRIME

leftists want to abolish CRIME!

my god!

*writes long winded posts about how leftists borrow right wing talking points*

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

WampaLord posted:

SHUT THE gently caress UP!

This thread is old-style CSPAM, and it will be dumb Bernie Bros vs neoliberal Shill bots until the end of time.
And I wouldn't have it any other way.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

NewForumSoftware posted:

It's also a CRIME

leftists want to abolish CRIME!

my god!

*writes long winded posts about how leftists borrow right wing talking points*

Yes, some of the leftists in this thread think Kamala Harris is unacceptable because she prosecuted child neglect. I agree that's real dumb.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

WampaLord posted:

SHUT THE gently caress UP!

Well since you ask so nicely and no one itt is insulting at all clearly I will accommodate these wishes.

Like seriously, people get all butthurt about respectability politics and say Trump proved none of that poo poo matters, but for those in this thread trying to grow a movement or whatever, there is a hard ceiling of support for acting like an rear end in a top hat.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JeffersonClay posted:

Yes, some of the leftists in this thread think Kamala Harris is unacceptable because she prosecuted child neglect. I agree that's real dumb.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

JeffersonClay posted:

Kamala Harris is a bad candidate and thus should not run. Because she can't win. Because the leftists will torpedo anyone who doesn't pass their dumb purity tests. Only one option is left... Bernie 2020. For pragmatism. For decorum. For country.

yronic heroism posted:

Like seriously, people get all butthurt about respectability politics and say Trump proved none of that poo poo matters, but for those in this thread trying to grow a movement or whatever, there is a hard ceiling of support for acting like an rear end in a top hat.

:cry:

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

I mean, I'm one of the few people trying to disabuse morons who can't tell the difference between democrats and republicans of their idiocy, but OK

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

JeffersonClay posted:

I mean, I'm one of the few people trying to disabuse morons who can't tell the difference between democrats and republicans of their idiocy, but OK

the reason we can't tell the difference is because they are the same

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

yronic heroism posted:

Sicko centrist prof arrested

Also, no one gets the LF references?

Sad!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm saying Harris had the chance to keep people out of slavery by not prosecuting or pleading cases. I understand you're ok with slavery so long as it is blessed by a judge but I'm not.

but she actually has a job to enforce just laws. she cannot prevent the people entering the system from being used as slave labor just because she's AG, unless you think she should ignore all crimes. if you view that as government sanctioned slavery, well, you have the right of it. i don't think harris is to blame for that though if she was enforcing just laws

unfortunately, kamala harris did a lot of other things though she does deserve the blame for, including enforcing unjust laws, not enforcing just laws, and fighting against the release of nonviolent offenders ordered released, among other things

quote:

I want a candidate that has never taken actions that led a fellow human into slavery and I don't think that's asking for perfection.

ok. i'm hopeful we'll have a lot more candidates available in the future that appeal to you, and that we can move towards a more equitable society

Condiv fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 3, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JeffersonClay posted:

For someone who bitches about "right wing tactics" all the time you certainly have their knack for deliberately misrepresenting an issue.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Trump is an rear end in a top hat, yeah, but he had one thing going for him. He popped the balloons of the sort of establishment politicians that most of the country thinks are also giant huge assholes. A centrist can't do that because centrists are the assholes in question.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Would like to note, centrists lost to Trump, who the Democrats are now trying to snipe voters from. They're literally this empty on the inside, and JailTrump's Wife's uncle being targeted by a slight shift in historically high deportation rate doesn't really change this, but his pain eases my hate. Hence why Trump is polling better than Clinton.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
Its good to remember that like 90% of Democrats support the Bern and we just have a few of the diehard hillarymen left over from the great primary war of 2016

their ideology died in the eyes of the democratic electorate they just don't realize it yet

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Condiv posted:

but she actually has a job to prosecute cases and enforce just laws. she cannot prevent the people entering the system from being used as slave labor just because she's AG. if you view that as government sanctioned slavery, well, you have the right of it. i don't think harris is to blame for that though if she was enforcing just laws

unfortunately, kamala harris did a lot of other things though she does deserve the blame for, including enforcing unjust laws, not enforcing just laws, and fighting against the release of nonviolent offenders ordered released, among other things

ok. i'm hopeful we'll have a lot more candidates available in the future that appeal to you, and that we can move towards a more equitable society

How can a law be just if it has slavery as a punishment? Prosecutors across this country routinely refuse to prosecute categories of crimes because they consider the punishment unjust. Harris could have done that but she choose not to exercise her prosecutorial discretion and prosecuted these people knowing slavery was part of their punishment.

Just because slavery is legalized doesn't make it just.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

For someone who bitches about "right wing tactics" all the time you certainly have their knack for deliberately misrepresenting an issue.

What exactly am I misrepresenting? Educational neglect is a subset of child neglect. People are advocating decriminalizing it.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

quote:

but she actually has a job to prosecute cases and enforce just laws.

Funny how for centrist dems this duty to prosecute doesn't seem to apply to the crimes of bankers or torturers.

And for some reason the call to duty is heard more clearly when the accused is black and/or poor.

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 3, 2017

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

NewForumSoftware posted:

Its good to remember that like 90% of Democrats support the Bern and we just have a few of the diehard hillarymen left over from the great primary war of 2016

their ideology died in the eyes of the democratic electorate they just don't realize it yet

"If millennial voters were smart they'd have a good job and wouldn't be living in their parents' house! We know better!" :bahgawd:
- centrist boomers

The Clintonites won't get it until they're actually forced out by the audacity of the younger generation.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 3, 2017

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

JeffersonClay posted:

What exactly am I misrepresenting? Educational neglect is a subset of child neglect. People are advocating decriminalizing it.

He can't be this stupid... it's not possible

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

do you mean the unjust prison labor? kamala harris doesn't catch flack for that, she catches flack for literally fighting to keep people in prison so the state of california could continue to benefit from their labor.

kamala harris could not single handedly end prison labor in california (as far as i'm aware). she could have stopped her underlings from appealing a decision to release nonviolent offenders from brutally overcrowded prisons. she chose to help keep people in prison so the state of california could save a buck on staffing their more high-security prisons

Serious chat: what is this trying to say? Are you saying the state made more keeping them incarcerated than it would save by releasing them?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JeffersonClay posted:

Take a step back from yourself and realize what people are actually driving at here, it's been explained to you over and over again and you are being deliberately dense.

Kamela Harris did not have to advocate for locking up parents of children with truancy issues. People in this thread view that approach as being focused on punishment and not rehabilitation. No one wants anything "decriminalized" wrt child neglect.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

NewForumSoftware posted:

So is this a "yes, I advocate decriminalizing some child neglect" or "no, I don't advocate decriminalizing some child neglect" because I can't tell.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

JeffersonClay posted:

So is this a "yes, I advocate decriminalizing some child neglect" or "no, I don't advocate decriminalizing some child neglect" because I can't tell.

where'd that some come from all of a sudden? don't backpedal now it's just getting good

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Funny how for centrist dems this duty to prosecute doesn't seem to apply to the crimes of bankers or torturers.

And now the argument is that a duty to prosecute justifies sending someone into slavery.

WampaLord posted:

Kamela Harris did not have to advocate for locking up parents of children with truancy issues.

And yet she did actually have to send people into slavery and that's not her fault.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

NewForumSoftware posted:

But Trump is completely different despite inability to articulate a policy difference that will effect me as much as his wife's uncle.

NewForumSoftware posted:

He did support a candidate on the basis of less electable than a reality tv nazi. The bar is not exactly high.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

Take a step back from yourself and realize what people are actually driving at here, it's been explained to you over and over again and you are being deliberately dense.

Kamela Harris did not have to advocate for locking up parents of children with truancy issues. People in this thread view that approach as being focused on punishment and not rehabilitation. No one wants anything "decriminalized" wrt child neglect.

Kamala Harris advocated locking up parents who willfully neglected their children's education. Educational neglect is a subset of child neglect. Ergo, people who disagree with Kamala Harris' decision to prosecute willful educational neglect want to decriminalize educational neglect, and therefore want to decriminalize some child neglect.

This doesn't seem particularly complicated.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
Why do you keep saying "some". Those leftists wanted to decriminalize child abuse, you said it yourself.

JeffersonClay posted:

This is some seriously unhinged poo poo. You think the state should stop prosecuting child abuse.

I mean yikes, let's clear this up ASAP.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Trabisnikof posted:

How can a law be just if it has slavery as a punishment?

if you're arguing all laws are unjust and shouldn't be followed, well... i'm not that extremist

i think we should get rid of slavery as a punishment ASAP, but that's gonna take a lot of effort

quote:

Prosecutors across this country routinely refuse to prosecute categories of crimes because they consider the punishment unjust. Harris could have done that but she choose not to exercise her prosecutorial discretion and prosecuted these people knowing slavery was part of their punishment.

but according to your criterion, all laws would be unjust and she should not prosecute anyone

quote:

Just because slavery is legalized doesn't make it just.

who said it is?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JeffersonClay posted:

Kamala Harris advocated locking up parents who willfully neglected their children's education. Educational neglect is a subset of child neglect. Ergo, people who disagree with Kamala Harris' decision to prosecute willful educational neglect want to decriminalize educational neglect, and therefore want to decriminalize some child neglect.

This doesn't seem particularly complicated.

Well, I tried.

Have fun deluding yourself and spinning every argument in this thread to make us look like idiot children while you remain wise and above it all. You should get a job on :foxnews:, they'd loving love you there.

Discretion in prosecuting != decriminalization, for the record.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It's gonna be a bizarre primary. It's going to be more stuffed than 2015's Republican primary, debates will look like a trainwreck. Except it will be a stage full of mostly good people with reasonable positions who want to use government to help the poor, with minor disagreements of how to do that.

"minor"

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

You should get a job on :foxnews:, they'd loving love you there.
I don't think it's legal to do that kind of thing on TV.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Condiv posted:

if you're arguing all laws are unjust and shouldn't be followed, well... i'm not that extremist

i think we should get rid of slavery as a punishment ASAP, but that's gonna take a lot of effort

but according to your criterion, all laws would be unjust and she should not prosecute anyone

who said it is?

You're the one who keeps calling laws that carry slavery as a punishment just:

Condiv posted:

but she actually has a job to enforce just laws.

Harris had plenty of options to punish criminals without sending them to slavery. Take a look towards the punishment for financial crimes: probation, fines and court mandated treatment/support programs.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Trabisnikof posted:

And now the argument is that a duty to prosecute justifies sending someone into slavery.

what's the alternative? just not do her job until she's replaced? doesn't make a lot of sense, and it wouldn't really accomplish anything either

quote:

And yet she did actually have to send people into slavery and that's not her fault.

what is wrong with you? are you gonna start endorsing her truancy bs too?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
I personally don't have a problem with the state prosecuting willful educational neglect of children, but that's me, and I'm not a left twitter superstar, so

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

JeffersonClay posted:

I personally don't have a problem with the state prosecuting willful educational neglect of children, but that's me, and I'm not a left twitter superstar, so

Good news, you've made it to where everyone else is. Now, what are the best ways to deal with this crime? Heavy fines and jail time? For argument's sake let's pretend we're actually trying to improve the outcome of the child's life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JeffersonClay posted:

Keep that spinning up, JC! If you spin hard enough, you won't have to feel guilty about your total lack of integrity, muttering to yourself that you truly care about the poor as you drive into your gated neighborhood.

Seriously, are you secretly 60 or a CEO? What drives you to hate the idea of leftism so fiercely that you must fight it at every corner?

• Locked thread