Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Trabisnikof posted:

You're the one who called punishing "politicians who engage in acts that lead to more enslaved people in America" an idea that is "overly extremist and not realistic imo".

That's centrist. You can come up with as many rationalizations as you want for why it isn't, but your statements are pretty clear.

that's not how it works trab. sorry :shrug:

also, nice attempt to twist my words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Just read through all the dumb poo poo about truancy and criminalising it. Here's the thing.

How about we modernise our school systems so they're not just rewarmed Prussian authoritarianism from the 1800s? Alot of countries need to do that.

Try looking into things like Steiner schools and actual modern teaching methods that interest and engage students, as well as bringing out and fostering their individual potentials. Then maybe they'll actually want to go to school.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

that's not how it works trab. sorry :shrug:

also, nice attempt to twist my words

"I'M NOT OWNED okay guys"

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

we need to empower immigrants. make sure they're protected by labor laws the same as all of us, and strengthen labor laws a ton.
What if I don't want wages pressed down? H1B Visas are mostly a cheap labor scam, and the state has already forced me into debt to be able to enter the job market.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Sneakster posted:

What if I don't want wages pressed down? H1B Visas are mostly a cheap labor scam, and the state has already forced me into debt to be able to enter the job market.

an appropriately empowered DoL would help prevent that. extreme penalties for wage theft via H1B visas would be good too imo

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Kokoro Wish posted:

Just read through all the dumb poo poo about truancy and criminalising it. Here's the thing.

How about we modernise our school systems so they're not just rewarmed Prussian authoritarianism from the 1800s? Alot of countries need to do that.

Try looking into things like Steiner schools and actual modern teaching methods that interest and engage students, as well as bringing out and fostering their individual potentials. Then maybe they'll actually want to go to school.

"have you considered such a position is functionally the same as tearing down the idea of rule of law right this second? :smug:" -trabisnikov

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/SenSchumer/status/892775305718497282
https://twitter.com/SenSchumer/status/892807890725154820

On things that could get a 'Grand Bargain', this isn't too bad. Interesting to see this is what the Dems are trying to force Trump's hand on.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 3, 2017

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Kokoro Wish posted:

Yes, that's all well and good. But truancy isn't actually criminalized. Refusing to take reasonable measures to supervise and encourage your child to attend school is criminalized. I dare say even with better schools, some students will still want to ditch class, and parents will still need to supervise and encourage attendance.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

an appropriately empowered DoL would help prevent that. extreme penalties for wage theft via H1B visas would be good too imo
That doesn't make any sense. We both know labor rights are dead, penalties wouldn't be enforced, and the H1Bs exist almost solely for doing lower level marginally technical work solely to undercut domestic labor. THere's been moves to increase the minimum salary for H1Bs but there are other kinds I forget the name of at the moment that still fundamentally exist to suppress wages for work that has no need to ignore domestic labor. We're not talking cutting edge research, its mediocre work that would be the basis of the modern middle class getting undercut for crooked IT contracts.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

JeffersonClay posted:

Yes, that's all well and good. But truancy isn't actually criminalized. Refusing to take reasonable measures to supervise and encourage your child to attend school is criminalized. I dare say even with better schools, some students will still want to ditch class, and parents will still need to supervise and encourage attendance.

That doesn't address the root causes of people that truant though. That should always be part of the solution, as such authoritarian means of punishment are just bashing someone over the head for having a problem. Plus, given that America has a widespread private prison/justice problem, it only incentivizes never solving the actual problems, but infact aggravating it to increase recidivism, because that's how you make the moolah. Plus you're affirming that link between schooling and the justice system, which again is authoritarian as gently caress.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 3, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Sneakster posted:

That doesn't make any sense. We both know labor rights are dead, penalties wouldn't be enforced, and the H1Bs exist almost solely for doing lower level marginally technical work solely to undercut domestic labor.

uh i don't agree and i specifically want the DoL to be reimpowered. why should i agree to maintain the status quo of weak labor laws? that's not what i'm interested in at all

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Kokoro Wish posted:

That doesn't address the root causes of people that truant though. That should always be part of the solution, as such authoritarian means of punishment are just bashing someone over the head for having a problem. Plus, given that America has a widespread private prison/justice problem, it only incentivizes never solving the actual problems, but infact aggravating it to increase recidivism, because that's how you make the moolah. Plus you're affirming that link between schooling and the justice system, which again is authoritarian as gently caress.

One of the causes of truancy is negligence on the part of parents, which better schools won't address. I'm affirming a link between willful child neglect and the justice system, which apparently you think shouldn't exist.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
Oh god, I forgot I was talking to JC, the Pissflaps of US threads.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
This thread is the pissflaps of US threads.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

uh i don't agree and i specifically want the DoL to be reimpowered. why should i agree to maintain the status quo of weak labor laws? that's not what i'm interested in at all
The Democrats used Arlen Specter to kill card check, and know != like. The entire purpose of most immigration for professional work is almost solely to undercut domestic labor. Curbing immigration might actually be in domestic labors interests. As nice as it is to be an open multicultural society, watering down the value of labor, is not in domestic labors interest, nor is it lowering food prices like migrant labor. There might be mutually exclusive interests, do I not a right to advocate for mine?
Oh sweet Jesus. Very different from Trump. Give it two weeks for Schumer to be photo shopped wrastlin' a fox logo.

JeffersonClay posted:

One of the causes of truancy is negligence on the part of parents, which better schools won't address. I'm affirming a link between willful child neglect and the justice system, which apparently you think shouldn't exist.
Aren't there aboriginals you could be abusing?

Sneakster fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 3, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Someone photoshop Hillary's face into a yellow beholder and make it his avatar

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

I'm sorry, which party passed NAFTA again? :ironicat:

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Mister Facetious posted:

The Republicans silly child. The Republicans cut welfare. The Republicans instituted three strikes. The Republicans instituted Don't Ask Don't Tell. The Republicans prevented card check for unions. The Republicans prevented a public option. The Republicans prevented CA from attempting single payer. The Republicans stopped Obama from utilizing executive powers. The Republicans stuck every knife in the back of the poor since Carter.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

JeffersonClay posted:

That is not what this law is about. Before Harris enacted the law, 20% of California's K-6 students were truant at least once. That is now criminalized. You can't possibly argue that 20% of the parents of California are criminally neglecting their children.

This law is about shifting the blame for the failing school system from government to parents. It's about punishing parents who can't afford a charter school and don't want to send their kids to a dangerous, filthy public school. It is not about fixing the education system, it's about marginalizing poor people more.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
xFurious Corey Booker's on MSNBC right now appealing to single-issue weed voters, get ready for your heel turn.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Hey if Corey Booker can undo his neoliberal belief system then America has a future.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

That is not what this law is about. Before Harris enacted the law, 20% of California's K-6 students were truant at least once. That is now criminalized. You can't possibly argue that 20% of the parents of California are criminally neglecting their children.

You fundamentally misunderstand the law. It only allows prosecution in cases with chronic truancy, defined as unexcused absence for over 10% of the school year. 20% of students are not chronically truant. Additionally, every parent of a chronically truant student is not neglecting their child. The law criminalizes parents who fail to provide "reasonable supervision and encouragement" to their child to attend school. "Reasonable supervision" is a standard in determining guilt in other varieties of child abuse, as well. "Reasonable supervision" could mean you are in contact with the school or your child's teacher and are aware of their attendance, and "encouragement" could mean you told the student to go to school, with some positive or negative consequence. This is not a difficult standard for a typical parent to meet. "I told him to go to school, but he wont' listen, I've tried [reasonable parenting practice]" is a valid defense here.

Additionally, the state is required to provide the parents of chronically truant students with training and support in providing that "reasonable supervision and encouragement", before attempting prosecution. Only when those standards are met can someone be successfully prosecuted here, and if so, there are a significant number of diversions, including but not limited to, drug treatment, mental health counseling the court can consider before fines or jail.

quote:

This law is about shifting the blame for the failing school system from government to parents. It's about punishing parents who can't afford a charter school and don't want to send their kids to a dangerous, filthy public school. It is not about fixing the education system, it's about marginalizing poor people more.

This law is about criminalizing child neglect. It's about giving school districts leverage over parents who say "my child doesn't need to attend school". It's about deterring child abuse.

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 3, 2017

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Crowsbeak posted:

Hey if Corey Booker can undo his neoliberal belief system then America has a future.

Yeah, but he wants a free market solution to the weed problem when everyone knows the government makes the best drugs. :lsd:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Ah, got to love the argument that its good for children to see their parents thrown in jail.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
It can be good for the children of abusive parents that those parents be prosecuted by the state, yes.

Razputeen
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Good luck convincing the internet's oldest lawschool warmonger webring that becoming a loving prosecutor isn't a blameless career choice

Razputeen
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

JeffersonClay posted:

You fundamentally misunderstand the law. It only allows prosecution in cases with chronic truancy, defined as unexcused absence for over 10% of the school year.

lmfao

Razputeen
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
holy poo poo i hope my child doesnt decide to skip school more than one day every two weeks or i have to justify myself to some dipshit or face prison

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Regardless of the intent of the law it sounds like it uh, might be bad

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Hope I'm never put in a situation where I'm forced to work 60 hours a week while raising a child by myself.

I guess being in that type of situation would be pretty negligent of me.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 3, 2017

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Lol if you didn't literally skip at least one day every two weeks while in highschool if you couldn't get away with it. That's not child abuse or neglect, that's ME saying gently caress SCHOOL AND gently caress YOUR SYSTEM, MAN.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

The Kingfish posted:

Hope I'm never put in a situation where I'm forced to work 60 hours a week while raising a child by myself.

Well you see non-wealthy single moms don't actually deserve their kids because

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Razputeen posted:

holy poo poo i hope my child doesnt decide to skip school more than one day every two weeks or i have to justify myself to some dipshit or face prison

You might have to justify your parenting to the state if you are objectively failing at it oh the humanity

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Facetious posted:

Republicans passed it.

The deal was signed by Bush, less than half of congressional Democrats (102/258, 27/57) and about 3/4ths congressional Republicans (132/176, 34/43) voted to ratify it, and then the ratification approved by Clinton

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Mecha Gojira posted:

Lol if you didn't literally skip at least one day every two weeks while in highschool if you couldn't get away with it. That's not child abuse or neglect, that's ME saying gently caress SCHOOL AND gently caress YOUR SYSTEM, MAN.

Oh the law also excludes highschool, it's only up to 8th grade.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
like Clinton's handprints aside, NAFTA was negotiated by a Republican president, and had Republicans leading the charge for its ratification in Congress. This is kinda important?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Shukaro posted:

Well you see non-wealthy single moms don't actually deserve their kids because

Well they should have kept their legs together. Now their children we be put in the care of the state in a work house.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Accusing everyone that thinks throwing parents into jail instead of addressing what's causing the problem it's poverty as advocates of child abuse is about a credible as everyone in this thread accusing you of being a supporter of child rape for wanting to throw these kids down the monstrous hell-maw of the foster care system.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The Kingfish posted:

JeffersonClay posted:

You might have to justify your parenting to the state if you are objectively failing at it oh the humanity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

JeffersonClay posted:

Oh the law also excludes highschool, it's only up to 8th grade.

Actually, the way the law is worded, you can be on the hook for misdemeanor "contributing to the deliquency of a minor," which itself potentially carries a $2,500 fine and a year-long jail sentence source ON TOP of their definition of "chronic truancy" which applies to the K-8.

• Locked thread