Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ChickenMedium posted:

MadTV only ever had one good sketch and it was Kenny Rogers' Jackass.

Same except they had 2 good sketches, Kenny Rogers Jackass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Depressio111117 posted:

The sketch where Randy Newman and Rob Zombie write songs for the Star Wars prequels was pretty funny - I still sing snippets of those stupid songs to myself sometimes.

this one owns too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H9a4bZzSqs

president bush
president bush
i love you from your nose to your tush

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Maxwell Lord posted:

The talent was never the problem, it was that they built the show around breakout recurring characters like "the Asian woman" and "a little boy."
I feel bad for Patton Oswalt who had a bunch of stories about being a writer on the show and how management were a bunch of stiffs meanwhile he sees all his friends working on Mr. Show.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I quite enjoyed Stolen Identity III, if we're talking MadTV skits. Sasso really was the best part of that show.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I quite enjoyed Stolen Identity III, if we're talking MadTV skits. Sasso really was the best part of that show.
I know Frank Caleindo became really obnoxious and overrated but drat it I still love this dumb John Madden sketch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1v52f1TrWg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLN2MjHaMvo&t=12s
As for Will Sasso I remember laughing really hard at his Steven Segal skits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d82j_Qfp_VA

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 2, 2017

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
drat that Sopranos bit was hilarious. Its the same joke over and over but it killed me every time. Sasso was a genius, post some other good ones !

edit - also completely forgot about the Popcorn Popper, thats a good bit as well.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm rewatching the recent American Godzilla from my local library, and man it still has one of my favorite little shots from any recent film: the Muto under attack at the airport as helicopters and planes start exploding, people screaming as the explosions chain react as the shot pans right, and then a giant foot comes down obscuring the Muto and explosions and silence.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Remember how the Divergent series just kind of petered out after the last one flopped? Well the previously announced TV series finally has a network with Starz developing it. Also unclear is who exactly is going to star in it as I seriously doubt any of the movie people would be willing to continue.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

Remember how the Divergent series just kind of petered out after the last one flopped? Well the previously announced TV series finally has a network with Starz developing it. Also unclear is who exactly is going to star in it as I seriously doubt any of the movie people would be willing to continue.

I suspect they will be, since acting is a horrifyingly cruel and random profession, and you have no idea where your next job is coming from

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Maybe Dumbass will continue to star in it. Clay doesn't buy itself.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

It's on Starz? So it'll have a ton of penises in it?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Starz sounded big bucks for American Gods, its not too hard to imagine they might be able to afford a movie star or two. Hell the show might actually be good.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Shailene Woodley did not even know about the Divergent TV series plans, although her character is apparently not in most of the final book. She's in a HBO series now, anyway.

I feel Divergent is a better set up for a video game.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Casimir Radon posted:

Maybe Dumbass will continue to star in it. Clay doesn't buy itself.

Vaginal Solariums dont come cheap.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Cythereal posted:

I'm rewatching the recent American Godzilla from my local library, and man it still has one of my favorite little shots from any recent film: the Muto under attack at the airport as helicopters and planes start exploding, people screaming as the explosions chain react as the shot pans right, and then a giant foot comes down obscuring the Muto and explosions and silence.

This scene gave me goosebumps in the theater, it's when I thought 'finally, this goddamn movie is about to start'

Nope the film cuts away, nice

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ammanas posted:

This scene gave me goosebumps in the theater, it's when I thought 'finally, this goddamn movie is about to start'

Nope the film cuts away, nice

After giving you the first full, proper look at Big G himself, though.

I still like 2014 Godzilla, personally. Generic Soldier Protagonist dude was boring, but I think it was a good call to use Big G sparingly. Keeps it impressive when he is on screen, especially in full view fighting the Mutos.

What the movie desperately needed was making the human parts, when Big G isn't on screen, more interesting.

Another subtle thing I picked up on this viewing was how Godzilla was quietly portrayed as intelligent. He kills both Mutos after clearly learning their attack pattern (male) or that they're too armored to just atomic breath (female), smartly turning the tables on both of them in turn.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I still like 2014 Godzilla, personally. Generic Soldier Protagonist dude was boring, but I think it was a good call to use Big G sparingly. Keeps it impressive when he is on screen, especially in full view fighting the Mutos.

What the movie desperately needed was making the human parts, when Big G isn't on screen, more interesting.

This easily could have been achieved if Bryan Cranston's much more interesting character was not killed off to give Motivation Fuel for the god awful protagonist. The reverse would be a lot better imo, because Cranston could've carried the film even if that was the only change.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Bryan Cranston is very good but by no means magic. He was in the Total Recall remake which sucked.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Cranston could've carried the film even if that was the only change

Well, maybe not the only change. Probably would have needed a different actress for his wife than Elizabeth Olsen...

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Bryan Cranston lent gravitas and a believable arc of redemption to a loving giant blue face on the wall whose sidekick is a squeaky robot so you best watch your mouth

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

Bryan Cranston is very good but by no means magic. He was in the Total Recall remake which sucked.

Bryan Cranston was the least of that films issues, but yes he felt terribly miscast.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Death Wish trailer, somehow it is George Zimmerman dressed as Trayvon Martin shooting everyone as AC/DC plays

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_I4zqC7GN8

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lobok posted:

Well, maybe not the only change. Probably would have needed a different actress for his wife than Elizabeth Olsen...

A female character having anything to do in that movie besides look frightened or concerned would have been a good move.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Tars Tarkas posted:

Death Wish trailer, somehow it is George Zimmerman dressed as Trayvon Martin shooting everyone as AC/DC plays

This is going to be popular with old white men everywhere

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Tars Tarkas posted:

This is super gross.

Funny that it seems like they're remaking Death Wish 4 more than anything in terms of tone, though. The first flick is a fairly grim reflection on street violence. The fourth has Charles Bronson firing a rocket launcher in front of the American flag.

Just a, uh, little bit of separation there.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Fart City posted:

This is super gross.

Funny that it seems like they're remaking Death Wish 4 more than anything in terms of tone, though. The first flick is a fairly grim reflection on street violence. The fourth has Charles Bronson firing a rocket launcher in front of the American flag.

Just a, uh, little bit of separation there.

Eli Roth is not a nuanced man. Still might be worth watching though, but the shrink scene gave me pause

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Why bother to make a Death Wish when Cannon no longer exists?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Tars Tarkas posted:

Welp we haven't progressed since the 80s. The same stench of white triumph-alism at wasting poor people, with rando black child as evidence the main guy is a good guy for wasting car jackers. Gross.

To wash that out, enjoy the beginning of Sasso's take on Kenny Rogers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZzjFXDbVZ4

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What if the movie is saying all that is bad to kill those people, and the trailer is saying it's good.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

got any sevens posted:

Eli Roth is not a nuanced man. Still might be worth watching though, but the shrink scene gave me pause
Hoping that he's repulsive by the end. Roth could pull that off.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Wasn't Death Sentence another adaptation of the book Death Wish was based on?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CelticPredator posted:

What if the movie is saying all that is bad to kill those people, and the trailer is saying it's good.

The trailer for Falling Down neeeeearly did just that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD5ofrSNDFA

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Shageletic posted:

Welp we haven't progressed since the 80s. The same stench of white triumph-alism at wasting poor people, with rando black child as evidence the main guy is a good guy for wasting car jackers. Gross.

Took the words out of my mouth. Honestly I don't hate the first Death Wish, it's grim but compellingly made. Those sequels are each beyond disgusting though in their own ways. Cannon Films.

MAYBE they're going to do a thing where Bruce Willis is the villain of the movie but I mean, it's Bruce Willis, they're not.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Wasn't Death Sentence another adaptation of the book Death Wish was based on?

No but this is an interesting tale. The Death Wish novel was written and was very popular, and so the Death Wish film was made and of course was very popular as well, as a one and done kind of thing. Death Wish's author, Brian Garfield, was always of the opinion that Paul Kersey (Benjamin in the books) was a disturbed person, and not a hero, so Garfield was disgusted with the general direction the first Death Wish film went in. He was so disgusted he wrote an entire sequel novel to Death Wish that went in a completely different direction, that novel was Death Sentence, which Cannon Films (who at this point was pumping out Death Wish sequels from 1982 on) actually was at one point going to adapt as a not-Death Wish-related film anyway with....MICHAEL DUDIKOFF AS THE LEAD (you can see him mention this a bit in some promo stuff of the time).

The more recent Kevin Bacon film, Death Sentence, is an actual official adaptation of that second book, but like the original Death Wish it again differs significantly to the point where it's weird they even bothered "adapting" anything instead of just doing their own thing.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 3, 2017

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Death Wish's author, Brian Garfield, was always of the opinion that Paul Kersey (Benjamin in the books) was a disturbed person, and not a hero

Yeah I read the novel a while back and liked it, I didn't really know anything about the book or the author but had seen all the movies so it was surprising and much better than I expected. It's very different from the movie, let alone the sequels.

Also I really love how the Finnish translation of the the series is somehow called "(An) Enemy of Violence". That's some "every criminal killed by Dredd is a cycle of violence ended" level poo poo right there.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Took the words out of my mouth. Honestly I don't hate the first Death Wish, it's grim but compellingly made. Those sequels are each beyond disgusting though in their own ways. Cannon Films.

MAYBE they're going to do a thing where Bruce Willis is the villain of the movie but I mean, it's Bruce Willis, they're not.

No but this is an interesting tale. The Death Wish novel was written and was very popular, and so the Death Wish film was made and of course was very popular as well, as a one and done kind of thing. Death Wish's author, Brian Garfield, was always of the opinion that Paul Kersey (Benjamin in the books) was a disturbed person, and not a hero, so Garfield was disgusted with the general direction the first Death Wish film went in. He was so disgusted he wrote an entire sequel novel to Death Wish that went in a completely different direction, that novel was Death Sentence, which Cannon Films (who at this point was pumping out Death Wish sequels from 1982 on) actually was at one point going to adapt as a not-Death Wish-related film anyway with....MICHAEL DUDIKOFF AS THE LEAD (you can see him mention this a bit in some promo stuff of the time).

The more recent Kevin Bacon film, Death Sentence, is an actual official adaptation of that second book, but like the original Death Wish it again differs significantly to the point where it's weird they even bothered "adapting" anything instead of just doing their own thing.

It's esp bad since Cannon's thing was B level schlock like The Happy Hooker and The Happy Hooker Goes to Hollywood so they knew they were crud (outside of completely WTF rando poo poo like The Dream). This has a pretty well known actor and decent prod values from the trailer. What the hell were they thinking?

Gonna be interesting to measure the gross (lol) on this versus something like Detriot.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

That reminds me of another one and done vigilante flick that Cannon picked up to do a sequel to, The Exterminator. That one's crap but has some notoriety because it's very Cannon Films crap but there's also a lost work print cut of it. From what people have pieced together it's significantly different and even just knowing some of the alterations Cannon made, was probably pretty decent (still b movie schlock but still). Anyway it's funny because they re-edited the film late enough in the game that most of the shots and events in the trailer don't actually happen in the movie.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Death Wish III is a classic for all the wrong reasons, and while I've been on the fence about Bruce Willis for years now, this has finally pushed me over the edge. gently caress him.

And gently caress Eli Roth for insisting that he's some sort of progressive feminist filmmaker. One only has to look at the difference between the first and second Hostel to see that he's completely full of poo poo. Want to know why? Only men get tortured and killed in the first one, and they're all clothed. Mostly women get tortured and killed in the second one, and they're mostly naked. So gently caress him, I wish that flesh-eating virus that inspired Cabin Fever had chewed his dick off.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Death Wish III is a classic for all the wrong reasons, and while I've been on the fence about Bruce Willis for years now, this has finally pushed me over the edge. gently caress him.

And gently caress Eli Roth for insisting that he's some sort of progressive feminist filmmaker. One only has to look at the difference between the first and second Hostel to see that he's completely full of poo poo. Want to know why? Only men get tortured and killed in the first one, and they're all clothed. Mostly women get tortured and killed in the second one, and they're mostly naked. So gently caress him, I wish that flesh-eating virus that inspired Cabin Fever had chewed his dick off.

Apparently "Knock Knock" is also a firm notch in "Roth is not a feminist" but I've yet to actually watch it.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Death Wish 3 also has the benefit of very clearly being a cartoon. Yes, it has a lot - a LOOOOOT - of problems with how minorities are portrayed, but having the villains be made up of Road Warrior understudies defangs it a bit.

Having a white dude dress up as Trayvon Martin to gun down minorities in their front yard in broad daylight while "Back In Black" blares is something else entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

AV Club did a great survey of all five Death Wish movies and all of the massive problems inherent with the Cannon Films touch that pretty much read my mind about them.

http://www.avclub.com/article/even-funny-death-wish-films-are-repugnantly-fascis-219675

They're right about Death Wish IV too. It still sucks but it's the most well-made of them, and actually has a pretty good idiotic twist towards the end that, in the hands of creators that gave more of a poo poo could have made it pretty interesting.

• Locked thread