Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Shaggar posted:

it would depend on whether or not the furry was non-white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

do you mean like the Arctic-Nation story from blacksad? :v:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

anthonypants posted:

i don't think most people consider fursuits religious clothing, so it's probably fine

Most burqa bans do not ban religious clothing but rather clothing that obscures the face.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

A straight religious clothing ban would be discrimination, can't have that of course

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

username/post combo, ya weirdo

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

spankmeister posted:

A straight religious clothing ban would be discrimination, can't have that of course

tell it to french workers in public-serving roles

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Rufus Ping posted:

or in public schools

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Rufus Ping posted:

It was a sarcastic comment of course.

It's the same in The Netherlands. If you are a public servant then a burqua or niqab are not acceptable. A hijab is of course.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Powaqoatse posted:

username/post combo, ya weirdo

I'm not a furry I just really like Tor

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Rufus Ping posted:

jew ring and muslim earring status: still okay

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

the Quebec government argument there is that there is a strong separation of state and religion, and if you're working as a provincial employee, you represent the government and should also not represent any religion.

It's a weird deal, but it needs a bit of context. In the 60s, while the US were putting a man on the moon, priests in Quebec were going door to door encouraging women to have 12+ children each if they didn't want to be bad Catholics. All schools and hospitals were church-run. Schools stopped being ran only by religious organizations in the mid-to-late 60s. Hell, I was in elementary school in the 90s, and the school was run by the government, but a few times a year they'd walk us to the other side of the street to go confess at church. Like all children no matter what. By law, Quebec schools became religion-free in 2005 only.

So uh, there's definitely a good bunch of rear end in a top hat racists pushing for these laws, and on the other side, a bunch of people who really want all religion out of the system, and they happen to all sit on the same side of the issue for this.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

MononcQc posted:

the Quebec government argument there is that there is a strong separation of state and religion, and if you're working as a provincial employee, you represent the government and should also not represent any religion.

It's a weird deal, but it needs a bit of context. In the 60s, while the US were putting a man on the moon, priests in Quebec were going door to door encouraging women to have 12+ children each if they didn't want to be bad Catholics. All schools and hospitals were church-run. Schools stopped being ran only by religious organizations in the mid-to-late 60s. Hell, I was in elementary school in the 90s, and the school was run by the government, but a few times a year they'd walk us to the other side of the street to go confess at church. Like all children no matter what. By law, Quebec schools became religion-free in 2005 only.

So uh, there's definitely a good bunch of rear end in a top hat racists pushing for these laws, and on the other side, a bunch of people who really want all religion out of the system, and they happen to all sit on the same side of the issue for this.

This is a good post

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

MononcQc posted:

gently caress the Catholics but don't cum in them.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

the quiet revolution was indeed very very good but the party that gave us that was being driven by quite a few bigots

thankfully quebeckers aren't stupid

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

flakeloaf posted:

thankfully quebeckers aren't stupid

uh

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

jew ring and muslim earring status: still okay

im the half-assed gaudy cross they threw in to try (and fail) to make it look less terrible

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Schadenboner posted:

gently caress the Catholics but don't cum in them.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ate all the Oreos posted:

im the half-assed gaudy cross they threw in to try (and fail) to make it look less terrible

Granted, I'm like semi-:jewish: so I have a perspective here, but (assuming a more-or-less similar culture between the US Midwest and Canadian Quebec, which may of course be less valid than I here assume) the "This is OK" cross conveys a similar amount of religiosity as the yarmulke or the Sikh scarf or the hijab. Also, I've literally never seen anyone with a ring or earrings like that.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

Granted, I'm like semi-:jewish: so I have a perspective here, but (assuming a more-or-less similar culture between the US Midwest and Canadian Quebec, which may of course be less valid than I here assume) the "This is OK" cross conveys a similar amount of religiosity as the yarmulke or the Sikh scarf or the hijab. Also, I've literally never seen anyone with a ring or earrings like that.

The distinction is between say:

Which is a small cross, no real jesus on it, and seen as a kind of accessory that people get when they are young even if you're not religious. It's as religious as wearing a wedding ring for the most part and doesn't carry a lot of meaning. Those tend to be seen as minor and don't bother anyone, and the same size of pendant for most other religions would be accepted (hence the comparison to small earrings or rings, which all have similar catholic variants as well)

And this the stuff that is technically 'forbidden' (I don't know if that dress code ever got made official):

Which is a bigger cross with prayer beads, or variants that are more reminiscent of official religious clothing. They carry a stronger religious meaning.

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 3, 2017

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
in quebec, if you can see the abs it's haram

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

if you can see the Abs it's the last two weeks of July. The rest of the time you only see the Habs

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

MononcQc posted:

The distinction is between say:

Which is a small cross, no real jesus on it, and seen as a kind of accessory that people get when they are young even if you're not religious. It's as religious as wearing a wedding ring for the most part and doesn't carry a lot of meaning. Those tend to be seen as minor and don't bother anyone, and the same size of pendant for most other religions would be accepted (hence the comparison to small earrings or rings, which all have similar catholic variants as well)

And this the stuff that is technically 'forbidden' (I don't know if that dress code ever got made official):

Which is a bigger cross with prayer beads, or variants that are more reminiscent of official religious clothing. They carry a stronger religious meaning.

growing up in florida people wearing giant gaudy crosses were basically the norm so i guess i never realized people differentiated between them so much :v:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Shorter MononcQc: No public religious expression besides Christian public religious expression is permissible.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
oh my god. take this to canpol. this is worse than opsec chat

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

Shorter MononcQc: No public religious expression besides Christian public religious expression is permissible.

the boomers have to be able to pretend you're not of a different religion for it to be okay.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I am going to Montreal for a conference on Saturday. How many giant blinged out crosses and stars should I wear to annoy as many French Canadians as possible?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MononcQc posted:

lol @ all of this quebec

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

mrmcd posted:

I am going to Montreal for a conference on Saturday. How many giant blinged out crosses and stars should I wear to annoy as many French Canadians as possible?
provide software somewhat related to piracy for the strongest effect

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

mrmcd posted:

an american passport and DL will be more than sufficient

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

MononcQc posted:

Which is a small cross, no real jesus on it, and seen as a kind of accessory that people get when they are young even if you're not religious. It's as religious as wearing a wedding ring for the most part and doesn't carry a lot of meaning.

an unadorned cross "without jesus" is actually quite significant, specifically for many protestants. i hope you're not involved in spycraft because your grasp of religious symbolism would probably get somebody killed, a la that scene in inglorious basterds where the american guy holds up the wrong fingers to order 3 beers

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Lutha Mahtin posted:

an unadorned cross "without jesus" is actually quite significant, specifically for many protestants. i hope you're not involved in spycraft because your grasp of religious symbolism would probably get somebody killed, a la that scene in inglorious basterds where the american guy holds up the wrong fingers to order 3 beers

extremely username/post combo

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

copyright infringement as a service isn't a great business model but maybe you shouldn't let corporations execute search warrants

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

quote:

On June 9, the telecoms got an Anton Piller order, a civil search warrant that gives a plaintiff access to a defendant's home, without notice, to search for and seize relevant evidence before it can be destroyed.

jfc what kind of hosed up canadian bullshit is this?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

The_Franz posted:

jfc what kind of hosed up canadian bullshit is this?

oh man saving this for the next time some poutine lover insults our great land

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

copyright infringement as a service isn't a great business model but maybe you shouldn't let corporations execute search warrants

keep reading - it wasn't a search warrant and the judge was pissed

they get to hold onto his poo poo pending appeal though

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

keep reading - it wasn't a search warrant and the judge was pissed

potato potato, they went into his house and riffled through his poo poo

making anyone think they can do that is probably bad even when that someone isn't joe natale

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

no like they weren't allowed to do that stuff they did in the first place

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

no like they weren't allowed to do that stuff they did in the first place

apparently they were, because someone issued a civil search warrant to them and they went into the guy's house and took his stuff. a judge only decided later that what they did was unlawful for whatever reason, yet they still haven't given his stuff because they are appealing the decision.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Also: the judge said it was void because they overstepped in questioning, and did it for too long (kept it up until midnight instead of stopping at 8pm like the order said). The implication being that if they hadn't done that, it would have been totally legal and the guy would have had no recourse whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

spankmeister posted:

Most burqa bans do not ban religious clothing but rather clothing that obscures the face.

there's lots and lots of places with anti-mask laws

• Locked thread