Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Learned something new today. There where 23" front wheeled bikes from Honda in the late 70's early 80's. Honda Xr500 78 and 79 model atleast. And I actually found new tires in stock for the dimension too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I know a bit about sidecars. Our shop races them and we've built a bunch of street rigs. Guy I work for owned one of those leaner sidecar rigs too. Regular sidecars handle like quads. (like rear end) I'm told the leaners do handle a bit like a solo bike but not all that much because the bulk attached to the chassis is so big it really messes with the feel of it all.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

Same. The top case style carriers wouldnt be nearly as comfortable for my dogs and it would throw off the weight balance.

I've seen a fella with a chihuahua who rode around in a magnetic tank bag on his fireblade.

Supradog posted:

Learned something new today. There where 23" front wheeled bikes from Honda in the late 70's early 80's. Honda Xr500 78 and 79 model atleast. And I actually found new tires in stock for the dimension too.

Wonder if we're all using 21's because they're at the optimal balance of steering/terrain tackling or if everyone just said gently caress it and stuck to 21's to make poo poo easier the way road bikes all have 17's?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Deep Thoreau posted:

I just want a sidecar to ride around with my dog. It's me, I'm that guy.

I don't even own a dog and I want to be that guy too.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Jazzzzz posted:

Any of you folks know much about sidecars? Before I go full dad bike and get a goldwing or some other rolling couch for riding with the wife I started looking into leaner sidecars and found this dude in Germany making them. I'd still keep a second bike for solo rides but this makes for more interesting passenger options (eg my dog) and avoids some of the issues with traditional sidecar handling or lack thereof.

This started with looking at Urals, which I quickly decided was an even worse investment than importing a custom side car from Europe

Lotta good info over in ADVRider. http://advrider.com/index.php?search/46776059/&q=leaners&o=relevance&c[node]=56 . Gotta copy/paste that, dang square brackets make it difficult to get the BBCode stuff working.

I like my Triumph Scrambler sidecar rig. Looks sharp and is a great way to haul the wife around for camping trips. Get to bring a lot of stuff that makes camping more enjoyable than eating meals from a can when you're going super lightweight. Plus your passenger can squirm all they want without making the operator mad.

Mocha Frost
May 1, 2006

Supradog posted:

I grew up riding a 79 XR500. Loved that bike. Weird rear end front tire though.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Skier posted:

Lotta good info over in ADVRider. http://advrider.com/index.php?search/46776059/&q=leaners&o=relevance&c[node]=56 . Gotta copy/paste that, dang square brackets make it difficult to get the BBCode stuff working.

I like my Triumph Scrambler sidecar rig. Looks sharp and is a great way to haul the wife around for camping trips. Get to bring a lot of stuff that makes camping more enjoyable than eating meals from a can when you're going super lightweight. Plus your passenger can squirm all they want without making the operator mad.

I've been through the Hack forum over at ADVRider, that's where I got the idea for a leaner. The squirming passenger thing is one of the reasons that a sidecar sounds good.

How long did it take you to adjust to the way your sidecar makes the bike handle? What kind of hack did you put on the scrambler, btw?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

That doggie is going for a real toss on twisties. O_O

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Had to swerve onto the shoulder today on the highway since I can't see ahead of the huge overcompensating truck in front of me not paying attention or something and slamming on their breaks. As I'm riding the shoulder and looking back I look forward again and this loving SUV starts pulling onto the shoulder and I had to swerve again and almost ate poo poo the second time. I have never hit someone's mirrors before but man I was considering it today. :pray:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's a good thing you didn't hit their mirrors. Bro trucks are skiddish and easily startled to rampage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O-Z19AEtes

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Based on the local version of those (usually a 4runner with massive wheels and lovely lift) they behave roughly like a territorial plains buffalo. Keep your distance, don't make eye contact, no sudden moves.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Jazzzzz posted:

I've been through the Hack forum over at ADVRider, that's where I got the idea for a leaner. The squirming passenger thing is one of the reasons that a sidecar sounds good.

How long did it take you to adjust to the way your sidecar makes the bike handle? What kind of hack did you put on the scrambler, btw?

Took a couple years before I was anywhere near as competent at riding an outfit as I was riding a solo bike. Took a few classes, got lots of practice, tried to rack up a fair amount of miles.

I've got a Dauntless M72D on it: http://www.dmcsidecars.com/sidecars/m72d/ .

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

The freeway is flooded today on the way to work and it was like riding down a river. I was so worried though about getting asspacked in the stop and go traffic.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Anita Dickinme posted:

Had to swerve onto the shoulder today on the highway since I can't see ahead of the huge overcompensating truck in front of me not paying attention or something and slamming on their breaks. As I'm riding the shoulder and looking back I look forward again and this loving SUV starts pulling onto the shoulder and I had to swerve again and almost ate poo poo the second time. I have never hit someone's mirrors before but man I was considering it today. :pray:

Don't follow so close

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I was 3-4 seconds behind. :colbert:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Sounds like you're the one not paying attention if 3-4 seconds isn't enough distance for a straight line stop.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Think about just driving along in your truck, and then some poo poo happens that you have to emergency brake/swerve for, along with another car. About the time the adrenaline wears off, that chucklefuck that's been tailgating you on the motorcycle whips by and punches your mirror.

You hear "STUPID FUCKIN CAAAAAAGER!" as they hit the rev limiter in 1st and speed home to make a vlog about small-dicked brodozers.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 4, 2017

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010
Well, I got a response from the insurer of the landscaper who totaled my bike, and they're asking for receipts for the Helibars, Yoshi exhaust, and other bits to reevaluate their total loss valuation. These were all installed by the PO, so of course I don't have receipts. I am going to just find their current sale prices and dock 1/2 - 2/3 for depreciation. Anybody have any experience with this situation?

Cool biker stuff for content: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToxmFNId9tU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Faster Blaster posted:

Well, I got a response from the insurer of the landscaper who totaled my bike, and they're asking for receipts for the Helibars, Yoshi exhaust, and other bits to reevaluate their total loss valuation. These were all installed by the PO, so of course I don't have receipts. I am going to just find their current sale prices and dock 1/2 - 2/3 for depreciation. Anybody have any experience with this situation?

I don't have experience, but I would give the full price and let them do the adjustment if they want to.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Think about just driving along in your truck, and then some poo poo happens that you have to emergency brake/swerve for, along with another car. About the time the adrenaline wears off, that chucklefuck that's been tailgating you on the motorcycle whips by and punches your mirror.

You hear "STUPID FUCKIN CAAAAAAGER!" as they hit the rev limiter in 1st and speed home to make a vlog about small-dicked brodozers.

As a small dicked brodozer owner I

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Faster Blaster posted:

Cool biker stuff for content: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToxmFNId9tU

depreciation isnt relevant because you cant buy them for that price anywhere.

Who bought the parts isnt important, you are the owner of them.

If you cant handle being mean you need to lawyer up, anyone would take the case seeing as they already admitted fault

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 4, 2017

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I just wanted to hit the SUV who intentionally tried to run me off seeing as they pulled back into their lane as I passed by. I don't even think I'm tall enough to have gotten the truck's mirror. :(

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010
Thanks for the advice! I'm comfortable with handing them the current values for the parts and arguing from there rather than hamstringing myself with my own estimate of depreciated value.

There isn't much money to be had here. It's a 98 VFR800, and I wasn't on it when this happened. I don't think many serious lawyers would eye the contingency fee on a possible $3k settlement with lust, and the lawyer's fee would erase any gains over the insurer's current offer anyway. If things do go sour, I definitely will file in small claims.

If you can get through all the obnoxious "Hey, guys, check out how super hot my wife is!" talk, this guy seems to have some proof that the Chinese replacement fairing industry has come along quite a bit in the last few years. At the very least, it looks like they may have moved away from lovely compression molded fairings.I might just give it a shot and post the results here. The thread wins either way.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
his wife isnt hot and those fairings still suck rear end. He's already proven himself to be a bad judge of appearance.

I can see plenty of fitment issues and panel gaps where there shouldnt be. He might also be bad at installing them. Its a budget option and should be treated as such

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 4, 2017

tjones
May 13, 2005
LOL

Those actumart fairings or whatever they are called have been known to also crack easily if they get too hot. Fitment is never ideal and you usually have to take a Dremel to different pieces to get them to line up.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Why do shops massively over inflate? Bike says 28/30 psi right on the swing arm (or 200/225 kpa) and i get it at loving 35/42. Otoh I'm 215 lbs so I'm giving 30/32 a shot.

I ride a ninja 300 not a loving gold wing.

Anyway new tires kick rear end :woop: gpr300s already feel better than my old irc roadwinners.

Also how do you dial in pressures anyway? Just feel?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Man I miss you on #bieks

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Space Whale posted:

Why do shops massively over inflate? Bike says 28/30 psi right on the swing arm (or 200/225 kpa) and i get it at loving 35/42. Otoh I'm 215 lbs so I'm giving 30/32 a shot.

Anyway new tires kick rear end :woop: gpr300s already feel better than my old irc roadwinners.

Shops often over-inflate because they just give it death to seat the beads on the tyre machine then stick the valve in and call it a day. That may or may not be what is happening here, what are you using to measure the pressures?

Just run the pressures on your swingarm and check them once a week.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
35/42?! That seems really high and over inflated. Isn't 42 the max they can take? I just run "ehhhh 30-32ish" on both, but use what's on your bike sticker.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It's also preference. I'll go 5 psi over usually, because I like the firmer feel

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Shops often over-inflate because they just give it death to seat the beads on the tyre machine then stick the valve in and call it a day. That may or may not be what is happening here, what are you using to measure the pressures?

Just run the pressures on your swingarm and check them once a week.

The guy swore that 200/225 kpa translated into gently caress/Doublefuck. But I'm not arguing units with random mechanics or shop owners.

I have a gauge and a gas station has an electronic thing you can set pressures to. Both agree. :confused:

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
If that happened to me I would probably adjust the pressure and then forget it happened before I had a chance to post multiple times on the internet about it. Now that I think about it though, the place I get my tires changed purposefully over inflates a few lbs so you can easily air down to your preferred pressure.

rally fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 6, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Space Whale posted:

The guy swore that 200/225 kpa translated into gently caress/Doublefuck. But I'm not arguing units with random mechanics or shop owners.

I have a gauge and a gas station has an electronic thing you can set pressures to. Both agree. :confused:

Ok so run the pressures on your swingarm.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Space Whale posted:

My boss was actually talking about this the other day. We set it at around 40 so the rider can drop it two whatever they want. Each bike is going to have different psi recommendations.

E: factory front on a softtail is 25. 25!!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
36/42 is fine.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I have not come across one gas station gauge that was accurate

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Buddy's FZ09 is in the shop with the apparently common clutch basket grenading, so I loaned him my second bike for the day and we went riding all over. Our original plan was to go to a Harley demo event, since neither of us have ridden a cruiser or a Harley, but it ended a day early. Still, the sales rep at the HD dealership was incredibly nice and invited us to come by to ride any bike we wanted. In fact, they were very helpful and hospitible during the entire experience.

We ended up both really liking the size of the 883, and I was so surprised at how eager they were to get us on the bikes and out for a ride in the area. Mine was this guy, which I really was impressed with.

Of course, it was heavy as an anvil (600lbs?!), and the power delivery and output felt identical to the CB500x. For a brand that touts brash wildness, it was incredibly docile. Build quality was astonishing, though, for 8000ish price tag. I scraped peg leaving the parking lot, but felt it handled well and the brakes were good. I feel like the package needed to be twice the power, though.

I'm was surprised, overall. It's a good biek.

edit: A shot of both my bieks out. It was a good day.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 7, 2017

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I'd honestly like to see what Harley could do if they got off their asses, stopped resting on the notions of tradition, heritage, and accessories sales, and tried to branch out a bit. You know, something involving motors that aren't an update of something designed at the turn of the 20th century.

I can't understand why they went through the motions of designing the V-Rod motor with Porsche and then putting it in one or two models that don't really appeal to their base but won't appeal to too many other customers either. They're doing the same with the mill in the Street 750.

Hell will freeze over first, but could you imagine Harley coming out with a lightweight standard or scrambler based around a modern, watercooled, non-45deg. twin, 60-75HP and 45-40 lb. ft. (Street 750 motor could fit the bill), decent brakes and suspension? The Street 750 makes no sense - people who want a cruiser are likely just going to step up to an 883 Sportster for another $500 anyway, there's a shitload more aftermarket for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jazzzzz posted:

Hell will freeze over first, but could you imagine Harley coming out with a lightweight standard or scrambler based around a modern, watercooled, non-45deg. twin, 60-75HP and 45-40 lb. ft. (Street 750 motor could fit the bill), decent brakes and suspension? The Street 750 makes no sense - people who want a cruiser are likely just going to step up to an 883 Sportster for another $500 anyway, there's a shitload more aftermarket for it.

Honestly, the brakes and suspension are already there, though my test ride was brief. Way better than the garbage that normally ends up on a lot of japanese stuff. Excellent brakes. Very comfortable seat, and the controls were some of the best I've ever seen. The turn signals were an interesting change. I walked away thinking the bike needed 2x the power and maybe 200lbs less weight. Totally acheivable.

Funny ABS anecdote- The saleswoman (who had been "harley all her life") was so excited about us getting the ABS model so we could "see how good the ABS feels!". And I was like "Uh, I really hope I never get to feel that or something has gone terribly wrong. Though im glad to have it." And she was insistant that we would both "really like the ABS in those bikes!". We couldn't figure out if she didn't know what ABS was or what. The brakes were actually very good, though I never activated ABS.

WOW. I should have locked the rear up and tested it. I'm now kicking myself for not doing that.