Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Endless Mike posted:

my car is ultramarine

nerd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

no, toyota are the nerds, not me

in this specific case, anyway

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mishaq posted:

anroid users are literally retarded and have stockholm syndrome

and poor you forgot poor which is the key ingredient

every chinese phone does this and every time the reaction from both the tech press and the manufacturer is one of alarm and confusion as to how it could happen

:thunk:

i used to bump the dyp chinese phone thread every time it happened but then it got to the point where like the last three posts itt was me posting a link to a report about another chinese oem having backdoors and the thread just died lol

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

my car is ultramarine

mine's just ordinary imperial guard

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Doc Block posted:

mine's just ordinary imperial guard

monkei trash

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Please, it's Mon'keigh :goonsay:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dodoman posted:

Please, it's Mon'keigh :goonsay:

your'e posting is mon'kek at best

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

and poor you forgot poor which is the key ingredient

every chinese phone does this and every time the reaction from both the tech press and the manufacturer is one of alarm and confusion as to how it could happen

:thunk:

i used to bump the dyp chinese phone thread every time it happened but then it got to the point where like the last three posts itt was me posting a link to a report about another chinese oem having backdoors and the thread just died lol

meanwhile the dyp idiots would continue to just wave their hands and say "well i have a xioamia and not a blu and i have to update with a new xda nightly every day so it's okay and hey i saved $20!"

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
So can cars that have Android Auto (is that what it's called?) get hacked or whatever? Like could your fuckin' car actually get infected with ransomware? I feel like this is a really dumb question and I guess it's really just an Android head unit, so it's not like the whole car would be affected

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

So can cars that have Android Auto (is that what it's called?) get hacked or whatever? Like could your fuckin' car actually get infected with ransomware? I feel like this is a really dumb question and I guess it's really just an Android head unit, so it's not like the whole car would be affected

there are already cases where vehicles have been remotely disabled thru canbus exploits (though I think the first recorded case wasn't an exploit per se, but was shut down from a web based interface) and this is android so what does your heart tell you

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

it'll be more like android blotto, op

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol from this article

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-nuclearpower-cyber-germany-idUSKCN0XN2OS

quote:

As an example, Hypponen said he had recently spoken to a European aircraft maker that said it cleans the cockpits of its planes every week of malware designed for Android phones. The malware spread to the planes only because factory employees were charging their phones with the USB port in the cockpit.

Because the plane runs a different operating system, nothing would befall it. But it would pass the virus on to other devices that plugged into the charger.

"oh it's fine, no-one would write an exploit for a wide-open vector like this!"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
wait, how the gently caress does that even work? there's a type-a usb plug in the cockpit that connects to some kind of writable mass storage device that's read by the avionics?

wtf?

lazercunt
Oct 26, 2007

It was a narcotics raid, not a Fritos raid.

really if you don't have an apple iPhone seven plus (Tm) you are being dumb
and you gotta be on the iPhone program plan thing through apple to get the new ones

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

infernal machines posted:

wait, how the gently caress does that even work? there's a type-a usb plug in the cockpit that connects to some kind of writable mass storage device that's read by the avionics?

wtf?

yes, for doing firmware and maps updates to the flight computers. so obviously that's a great place to plug in your malware infested android for charging.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

I'm sorry I asked. lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

so carplay works in such a way that it's essentially just your iphone sending an interface to the head unit, and it's essentially just an overlay on top of the native interface. if android auto works the same, maybe, but it would be easier just to infect the phone

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

android auto works like carplay, insofar that it's a "dumb" system for display/control of a phone

one thing im curious about is if apple and google have their hands tied by car manufacturers when it comes to updates. if they are, isn't it possible we'll get to a situation where lots of cars on the road are running old vulnerable versions of carplay/android auto? then all you need is somebody to connect a compromised device, and if the car doesn't have good separation of its other systems, boom a script kiddie sends you off a cliff

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol from this article

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-nuclearpower-cyber-germany-idUSKCN0XN2OS

"oh it's fine, no-one would write an exploit for a wide-open vector like this!"

remember when boeing planes were found to be running the in-flight wifi on the same network the avionics used?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

heh someone roots the plane and mods the automated address system to randomly issue a fart noise and reverses the controls of the steering wheels

then asks you for $50000 if you want to start the engines

delta would still fly this plane

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
avionics get ransomwared mid-flight, plane runs out of fuel before bitcoin confirmations clear

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Doc Block posted:

remember when boeing planes were found to be running the in-flight wifi on the same network the avionics used?

they were vlan segregated because they didn't want to run two switch stacks with the extra weight/space and they didn't release exactly how the guy did it but I suspect the airline exposed the switch management interface and he got in through there and started touching the poop

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

but enough about the f-35

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

was it the f35 that had its avionics completely crash when it crossed in the international dateline or a different flying piece of poo poo?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i really couldnt imagine being poor enough to use aan android

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the green bubble will always be your mark of shame

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

was it the f35 that had its avionics completely crash when it crossed in the international dateline or a different flying piece of poo poo?

iirc it was the f-22 where the designers weren't familiar with the concept of a monotonic clock

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
iPhone is just great.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

I once went on a date with a girl that had a Android phone (I think it was one of the Notes? mid-2013) and one of the first things I said to her was "you should definitely get an iPhone."

There wasn't a second date, but it probably didn't have anything to do with me telling a stranger what kind of phone to buy.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
you dodged a bullet there t b q h

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Management posted:

the green bubble will always be your mark of shame

imagine the shame of being the sole green bubble in a group chat. knowing you were responsible for the loss features and being judged constantly.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Silver Alicorn posted:

you dodged a bullet there t b q h

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

EL BROMANCE posted:

imagine the shame of being the sole green bubble in a group chat. knowing you were responsible for the loss features and being judged constantly.

imagine being an outcast

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

this'd be such a funny yospos thing if it wasn't also an unironic reddit opinion which smacks of a ridiculous level of elitism/~my brands~

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

lol reddit, haha reddit

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

android auto works like carplay, insofar that it's a "dumb" system for display/control of a phone

one thing im curious about is if apple and google have their hands tied by car manufacturers when it comes to updates. if they are, isn't it possible we'll get to a situation where lots of cars on the road are running old vulnerable versions of carplay/android auto? then all you need is somebody to connect a compromised device, and if the car doesn't have good separation of its other systems, boom a script kiddie sends you off a cliff

tbh I fantasize about this future every time i'm on the highway in traffic

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

lazercunt posted:

really if you don't have an apple iPhone seven plus (Tm) you are being dumb
and you gotta be on the iPhone program plan thing through apple to get the new ones

wisdom

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

well these guys got caught

well they were following the p2pp rules and by executive order, when you have the peer protocol it's game over

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

lol go read ron amadeos write up of samsungs voice assistant bixby

its loving hilarious

heres a taste

quote:

Like most voice systems, Bixby requires a bit of training when it starts up. First comes the hotword training, which works a lot like Google's. You say "Hi Bixby" a few times, and the app records your voice. So far, so good.

Next is something a little different. You're asked to train Bixby by reading a few canned sentences, which is more like an old-school voice-dictation program than these cloud-based assistants. When I did it, the page instructed me to read the first sentence, which is "Health is always important." Once I was done reading it to Bixby, the logo animated into a spinner animation while Bixby processed my speech. This thinking went on for about 20 seconds before the app told me "Bixby couldn't understand you. Tap the Bixby logo to try again."

I tried about 40 more times—"Health is always important"—each with an agonizing 15 to 20 second wait while Bixby processed my speech input and told me it couldn't understand me. I tried speaking in a casual tone, then in a robotic, heavily enunciated speaking manner. I tried with the phone "6-12 inches away from my face" as the previous screen instructed, and I tried holding the phone to my face. I rebooted the phone a few times and started setup again. I tried speaking at quiet, medium, and loud volumes. I tried in the quietest room in the house. I blasted the microphones with canned air to make sure they weren't clogged. Bixby never accepted my input. To make sure the phone wasn't broken, I fired up Google and told it: "Health is always important." Sure enough, it worked fine.

with samsung you just never know if the feature was badly implemented or the hardware is broken i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

lol go read ron amadeos write up of samsungs voice assistant bixby

its loving hilarious

heres a taste

with samsung you just never know if the feature was badly implemented or the hardware is broken i guess

spoilers: it's both