Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Toadvine posted:

The extra long winters are because of night king magic

Oh gently caress that. I was hoping it was something like the planet was stuck in orbit between two opposing suns or some poo poo.

This is why I hate fantasy in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

facebook jihad posted:

Well even classic zombies have a motivation. They want to eat flesh. I don't think Ice man eats flesh.

I mean even if his motivation is just to take over everything and world domination that's enough for me. But it seems like he'd have to leave again after summer starts again.

Also I want one of those pedantic pseudoscience YouTube channels to tackle the science of a planet (or whatever the gently caress Westeros is on, maybe it's imagined as a flat plane) having erratic summers/winters like that

I'm pretty sure a big part of the invasion involves a never-ending winter.

Also the show and the books have pretty different origins for the Night King. In the show the Night King and white walkers were created by those wood elf people to defend against people back then, but it hasn't explained yet how/why the elf people lost control of them. It does hint that he's basically going for a "turn everyone into my zombie slaves" thing, based on things like him taking the baby in one of the earlier seasons and turning it into a white walker. I'm assuming it'll still grow and poo poo, because what's the point otherwise?

In the book the Night's King was a Stark, 13th commander of the Night's Watch, who apparently fell in love with a white walker lady and turned into an evil king, but only ruled for 13 years, until another Stark and some other dudes took him down. GRRM has confirmed that his version of the Night's King is long-gone, so :iiam: who's leading the white walkers in the book or what their motivations are.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Zombies aren't controlled by a magical king guy who clearly has some intelligence and goals in mind, otherwise they wouldn't be organizing attacks on things.

I dunno if I would call "everyone go straight south and murder everything in your way without stopping" organizing attacks on things

facebook jihad posted:

Oh gently caress that. I was hoping it was something like the planet was stuck in orbit between two opposing suns or some poo poo.

This is why I hate fantasy in general

I think during normal times the seasons are still several years long each, so there's still hope for an overarching nerdy pseudoscience explanation!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Isn't it just Westeros that has the hosed up seasons?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Kelp Me! posted:

I dunno if I would call "everyone go straight south and murder everything in your way without stopping" organizing attacks on things

There was that attack led by the king against that fort in season 5 or whatever one it was. It seems unlikely that they'd all converge on that one place together. If it were unorganized you'd probably have near constant smaller attacks as they all run around aimlessly aside from "going generally south".

Plus it's very obvious that the night king is sentient and isn't just a rampaging ice monster.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Isn't it just Westeros that has the hosed up seasons?

It's the only continent that extends north. They show us this at the beginning of every episode

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
The Ice Zombies is the most boring part about the whole series. The politics and war are fun enough without adding all the zombie bullshit. I think the dragons are lame too. The less magical poo poo is happening, the more entertained I am.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
The gods poo poo is cool though, and I liked the witch who killed danys baby and khal drogo.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Toadvine posted:

The gods poo poo is cool though, and I liked the witch who killed danys baby and khal drogo.

That was good because it more or less shows you that magical poo poo either doesn't work, or doesn't work in a positive way. Like a monkey's paw. There was a brief thing where we thought, "Oh poo poo, these dragons are killing innocent people! Maybe they aren't the best thing to bring back!"

Then the producers said, "Nevermind, LOL, dragons are rad and well-behaved!"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The show will pull some retarded poo poo like "there must always be one Night King to control the zombies or they will end up rampaging wildly"

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The show will pull some retarded poo poo like "there must always be one Night King to control the zombies or they will end up rampaging wildly"

That's some straight Blizzard level, poo poo writing

Which means you're probably right.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

ElGroucho posted:

The Ice Zombies is the most boring part about the whole series. The politics and war are fun enough without adding all the zombie bullshit. I think the dragons are lame too. The less magical poo poo is happening, the more entertained I am.

That's why the first 3 seasons are the best. Magic only hinted at or briefly seen

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

ElGroucho posted:

That was good because it more or less shows you that magical poo poo either doesn't work, or doesn't work in a positive way. Like a monkey's paw. There was a brief thing where we thought, "Oh poo poo, these dragons are killing innocent people! Maybe they aren't the best thing to bring back!"

Then the producers said, "Nevermind, LOL, dragons are rad and well-behaved!"

Or when Cat stark royally pissed off the gods for not keeping her end of the bargain so they killed most of her family

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Toadvine posted:

Or when Cat stark royally pissed off the gods for not keeping her end of the bargain and they killed most of her family

Just saw the episode where she tells the story, that was a hearty chuckle for me. "Bitch, things gonna get way worse!"

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
In seasons 3 + 4 I looked forward to any scene from The Adventures of Arya and the Hound.

Now I'm happy any time she isn't in the episode.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Some super nerd made a model galaxy that explained how you could have years of summer and years of winter and all the other nerd poo poo that would explain it... Then Gurm turned up and said, "lol, no. It's just magic you nerd."

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Toadvine posted:

Or when Cat stark royally pissed off the gods for not keeping her end of the bargain so they killed most of her family

loving poo poo you just gave me an idea who will be the new Ice Zombie King Leader when the current one is inevitably slain by jonsnu...

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Yolomon Wayne posted:

loving poo poo you just gave me an idea who will be the new Ice Zombie King Leader when the current one is inevitably slain by jonsnu...

Well, she was already the Ice Bitch

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I hope a giant steps on some more people.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Drunken Baker posted:

Some super nerd made a model galaxy that explained how you could have years of summer and years of winter and all the other nerd poo poo that would explain it... Then Gurm turned up and said, "lol, no. It's just magic you nerd."

"A wizard did it!" Is such a freaking boring way to write things... ffs. Glad I never got invested in the books.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

"A wizard did it!" Is such a freaking boring way to write things... ffs. Glad I never got invested in the books.

I dunno, "these magical ice zombies have such a strong magic aura or whatever that they literally bring the winter with them" is kind of cool I think.

There are way, way more legitimate reasons to go "thank god I never wasted time on the books" is what I'm saying basically

e: also I don't see why you would need a big explanation and :lol: a model galaxy or whatever to explain long seasons.
"Whatever planet this takes place on orbits faster/slower or farther/closer to its sun than Earth, so the seasons are different." That's it.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

I feel like the correct answer for GRRM is "I don't know why there's a long winter because the characters don't know why there's a long winter."

Multilake
Dec 11, 2016

If you're in a jam, a crayon scrunched under your nose makes a good pretend moustache.
Can Jonnie please just make love to his aunt? If the lannisters can do it, the targaryens should be able too

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Multilake posted:

Can Jonnie please just make love to his aunt? If the lannisters can do it, the targaryens should be able too

They invented it.

Multilake
Dec 11, 2016

If you're in a jam, a crayon scrunched under your nose makes a good pretend moustache.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

They invented it.

So it shouldn't be a problem for this generation either :allears:

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

ruddiger posted:

If we don't get to see Grey Worm's stitched up gash before the season ends then gently caress this show.

I thought they just chopped the balls?

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

proof of concept posted:

I hope a giant steps on some more people.

wunwun forever

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.

Toadvine posted:

Drogo died by bloodmagic, tho

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Nebelwerfer posted:

Drogo died by bloodmagic, tho

Drogo died from an infection. He was brought back with blood magic.

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

solar energy panel posted:

I thought they just chopped the balls?

I think the answer to this question, at least the show's perspective, has yet to be revealed but it's in the leaked spoilers.

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

Universe Master posted:

whatever nerd

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Jon and Dany will conceive and will end the entire war by offering up their baby to the Night King, who will breed a new line of white walkers for the next winter that are immune to fire and can commune with dragons.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kelp Me! posted:

I think during normal times the seasons are still several years long each, so there's still hope for an overarching nerdy pseudoscience explanation!

Nah it's just magic GRRM has straight said so.

Decebal posted:

That's why the first 3 seasons are the best. Magic only hinted at or briefly seen

Coincidentally those are the seasons that followed the books more closely.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Universe Master posted:

I can't remember, did they ever actually show him dead the first time, or did Dany leave him alone in the tent with the witch when he was still just dying? Because "blood magic comes with a price" is a pretty convenient excuse for "I hosed up treatment and he didn't die but he is a permanent vegetable."

COMRADES posted:

Nah it's just magic GRRM has straight said so.

Didn't he also write that the longer winters are due to the white walkers' magic and not just general "it's magic you guys?"

I guess in his screwy head it could be both - the seasons are longer in general because magic, and the winters are getting super-long in particular because ice zombie magic.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Not sure but the gist of what he said as I took was "don't bother thinking about the sun/orbit/whatever because I deffo didn't and it deffo doesn't make sense in that context." But yeah the "long night" seems to come when the White Walkers are doing stuff so there's probably something going on with that.

Kelp Me! posted:

I can't remember, did they ever actually show him dead the first time

Don't think so.

Moot anyway really because Miri Maz gave him the infection on purpose with her salve so either way she's to blame.

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

line of white walkers for the next winter that are immune to fire and can commune with dragons.

So how the gently caress this immune to fire thing work with Targaryen blood, is it something Dany only has or what

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

COMRADES posted:

Not sure but the gist of what he said as I took was "don't bother thinking about the sun/orbit/whatever because I deffo didn't and it deffo doesn't make sense in that context." But yeah the "long night" seems to come when the White Walkers are doing stuff so there's probably something going on with that.

When you see all the "explanations" nerds came up with to explain Star Wars "magic" I get why he's against looking too much into it.

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

Kelp Me! posted:

GRRM has confirmed that his version of the Night's King is long-gone, so :iiam: who's leading the white walkers in the book or what their motivations are.

wasn't WW's in series just first men turned into demons by little fucks in the trees because first men were destroying their homes or some poo poo, it's just age old vendetta going on and on until one destroys another
like the little fairy fucks even went "uh oh we cant control this poo poo anymore" when enough time was passed after The Wall was erected

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Decebal posted:

When you see all the "explanations" nerds came up with to explain Star Wars "magic" I get why he's against looking too much into it.

What, you mean you didn't enjoy BDSM force-immune aliens, bug alien orgies and literally a giant blob monster that is the embodiment of the dark side of the force?

Nebelwerfer posted:

wasn't WW's in series just first men turned into demons by little fucks in the trees because first men were destroying their homes or some poo poo, it's just age old vendetta going on and on until one destroys another
like the little fairy fucks even went "uh oh we cant control this poo poo anymore" when enough time was passed after The Wall was erected

The book series hasn't gotten that far yet, all we know about them is that they showed up from the north 8,000 years ago, were beaten back, and the wall was built. The Night's King is a totally separate character, and IIRC the forest elf people eventually came to a truce with humans, and then just kind of faded out like Lord of the Rings elves.

The show makes it look like the king is the only one that can think for himself, but in the books, at the very beginning when that first patrol goes north and is murdered by white walkers (the one guy survives and ends up getting axed by Ned for abandoning his post), the white walkers talk and laugh among themselves during the attack, so :iiam: in a lot of respects I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The walker king is clearly Stannis