Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ThePeavstenator posted:

If you're a 30 y/o living in someone else's house you don't really get to exert control in a 2 room radius in every direction.

What if the post was from the dad's POV? I wake up and shave at 8AM, should I change my behavior to not disturb my adult daughter that goes to sleep at 2 but can't deal with getting only 6 hours of sleep?

Yes, absolutely. Choosing to not bang a razor blade loudly is the smallest and easiest change to make to help your child. You wouldn't even consider it?

You're acting like she's asking him to take a vow of silence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I'm def anti sleep baby, but seriously, banging your razor on the sink does literally nothing. just hold it under the water??

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

WampaLord posted:

Some people are night owls, wtf is this "sleep hygiene" nonsense? She has the right to not be rudely loving awoken, messing with sleep is some Chinese torture poo poo.

She's not asking her dad to be silent, she's asking if he can change this one annoying behavior as a matter of courtesy. He's the rear end in a top hat.

Sleep hygiene is a real medical concept whereby a person optimizes their bedroom, bed routine, and life style to enhance their ability to get enough rest. It includes things like going to bed and waking up at the same time every day, using the bed only for sleeping and sex. No screens in the room, etc.

I know that people can have different schedules. I'd stay up until 12 or 1 most nights if I could, but the older I get the less and less I can do that and feel OK the next day. Even if I sleep in until 9.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

WampaLord posted:

Yes, absolutely. Choosing to not bang a razor blade loudly is the smallest and easiest change to make to help your child. You wouldn't even consider it?

She could easily go to bed at midnight and wake up at 7-8 instead if she just tried to change her schedule to something more reasonable that she'd probably need to do anyways if she ever wanted to stop being an adult child sponging off her dad.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Irradiate his razor, then in a few months he wont have to shave. Problem solved.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

WampaLord posted:

Have you shaved with a good razor before? You'll make a small amount of noise rinsing it, or tapping it, or doing basically anything to get the hair out of it.

What if the dad decided to switch to an electric shaver? Would he be an rear end in a top hat for having an appliance that makes buzzing sounds running at 7AM?

Like maybe the dad is an rear end in a top hat in general but getting up at a reasonable time and making some morning noises is not a component of that.

Also:

quote:

At 7:30-8am every morning my dad gets up and shaves before he showers and fixes breakfast for the grandparents.
RAPPING TWO OBJECTS TOGETHER AT THE rear end CRACK OF DAWN NEXT TO MY HEAD

lol @ anything after 7 AM getting called the "rear end crack of dawn"

e:

blarzgh posted:

I'm def anti sleep baby, but seriously, banging your razor on the sink does literally nothing. just hold it under the water??

If you've got a good safety razor you don't want to blast water on it too much or it'll dull the blade/rust faster. You fill the sink with water to swish it around and tap it. It's like the smallest amount of noise.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 3, 2017

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

areyoucontagious posted:

Nah. If she had a graveyard job or whatever I'd be on her side but Reddit doesn't loving count and if you're thirty goddamn years old you can loving quit it with the teenager "I'm a night owl" poo poo.

Eh, adults can stay up late if they want to. However, as an adult you should be courteous to a host who is allowing you to live in their home. If your habit of staying up late to do dumb poo poo means you are imposing on your host's normal habits you shouldn't need the internet to tell you that you should be the one adjusting things to fix it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ArbitraryC posted:

She could easily go to bed at midnight and wake up at 7-8 instead if she just tried to change her schedule to something more reasonable that she'd probably need to do anyways if she ever wanted to stop being an adult child sponging off her dad.

Which is an easier request to accommodate?

Change your sleep schedule?

OR

Not bang a razor blade loudly?

Think hard about this one, ArbC, I believe in you.

ThePeavstenator posted:

Have you shaved with a good razor before? You'll make a small amount of noise rinsing it, or tapping it, or doing basically anything to get the hair out of it.

What if the dad decided to switch to an electric shaver? Would he be an rear end in a top hat for having an appliance that makes buzzing sounds running at 7AM?

Like maybe the dad is an rear end in a top hat in general but getting up at a reasonable time and making some morning noises is not a component of that.

Nice goalpost moving. Now he's doing it quietly apparently!

She specifically says he does it extra loud and that nothing else is waking her. Why can't he alter this one simple behavior as a courtesy?

Does he also refuse to hold open doors for her?

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

The real answer is to hire an elderly Italian barber to come to the house at 7AM and give your dad a hot lather and straight razor shave.

It's the least you could do for being an ungrateful sponge.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

WampaLord posted:

It's this. Believe women when they tell you this poo poo in a cold and logical manner like this.

Anyone who mentions they have a "crazy" ex is automatically a :redflag:

Some people are night owls, wtf is this "sleep hygiene" nonsense? She has the right to not be rudely loving awoken, messing with sleep is some Chinese torture poo poo.

She's not asking her dad to be silent, she's asking if he can change this one annoying behavior as a matter of courtesy. He's the rear end in a top hat.

Sleep hygiene is a pretty well-established thing. Staying up late is a learned preference. Its not some inherent trait in folks, and it can be changed pretty readily with a modicum of effort. I'd be willing to bet that her sleep quality is poo poo even without her dad shaving.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Warbadger posted:

Eh, adults can stay up late if they want to. However, as an adult you should be courteous to a host who is allowing you to live in their home. If your habit of staying up late to do dumb poo poo means you are imposing on your host's normal habits you shouldn't need the internet to tell you that you should be the one adjusting things to fix it.

That's sort of what I meant. Yeah, stay up late, but if you're going to be self centered and whiney about it maybe you should grow up.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

WampaLord posted:

Nahhhhhhhhh. IDK how you're shaving my dude, but tapping the razor in the sink is an insanely normal part of the shaving process to get hairs from between the blades for a smooth shave. I'd probably get 3 swipes in trimming my cheeks and unibrow before I had to throw the blade away if I didn't employ this method.

Princess Nocturna, Mistress of the Night, can move out of daddy's place and set her own hours if the sounds of someone who has someplace to be in the morning getting ready for that interrupt her undead slumber the very normal hour of 7:30 AM.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

WampaLord posted:

Nice goalpost moving. Now he's doing it quietly apparently!

She specifically says he does it extra loud and that nothing else is waking her. Why can't he alter this one simple behavior as a courtesy?

Does he also refuse to hold open doors for her?

I'm inclined to believe that someone who insists that they just can't fall asleep before 2AM, it's impossible, might be a huge baby that's exaggerating. Also if you're going to make any noise that would be considered loud by banging a razor, you're going to break or damage it. Unless your definition of loud includes: opening/closing doors, clattering sliver/cookware, frying sounds, etc.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

areyoucontagious posted:

That's sort of what I meant. Yeah, stay up late, but if you're going to be self centered and whiney about it maybe you should grow up.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I (m22) am not a good photographer. My girlfriend (f22) says that she wants a guy that is good in photography. So talks about it every now and then and it is making me very insecure

quote:

Hi everyone. So my girlfriend have been together 1 year. So far it's been great and we are so happy together.

However, there is a problem. She always expresses how nice it would have been if her boyfriend is a photographer.

Now, I've never been a good photographer myself and I've never cared about photography. I'm almost legally blind but I wear prescription glasses. I know this doesn't excuse me from practicing and getting better at photography but I just suck at taking photographs.

Normally this wouldn't be an issue to me but this does scare the hell out of me because I caught her twice on fb when she was stalking this photographer that used to have a crush on her.

I know she is entitled on her preferences but I just feel insecure everytime she mentions it. What should I do? What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Edit 1: I just realize d that she watches a lot a youtubers including those youtuber couples so that might explain this behavior. I realize that this might be a healthy thing for her to fantasize. However, it did not appreciate it when she said YES when I asked her if she wants a photographer boyfriend. Like, wtf. I'm here, I exist. Am I not not enough?

TL;DR: Girlfriend would love to have a photographer boyfriend. I am not good at photography and probably never will be. I'm also bothered by the fact that I caught her twice when she was stalking a photographer that used to have a crush on her. It's making me feel very insecure. Help?

I don't think Mr. Magoo is going to turn into Ansel Adams anytime soon so they should just sever so she can be instafamous.

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Or she could possibly just rearrange her room so that her head isn't right next to the bathroom sink, unless this is some kind of non-euclidian hell-room where the size and shape of the furniture are dependent on their exact location in the room. If she refuses to alter her sleep cycle and is planning to move out in a couple months, why not just move the furniture instead of forcing her father to change what is likely a compulsive habit at this point?

The real solution is for grandma and grandpa to kick both of their freeloading asses out on the street.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

La Brea Carpet posted:

I (m22) am not a good photographer. My girlfriend (f22) says that she wants a guy that is good in photography. So talks about it every now and then and it is making me very insecure

I don't think Mr. Magoo is going to turn into Ansel Adams anytime soon so they should just sever so she can be instafamous.

The best solution is to go to that little town where they will kidnap a young black photographer and transplant his brain into him.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'm inclined to believe that someone who insists that they just can't fall asleep before 2AM, it's impossible, might be a huge baby that's exaggerating. Also if you're going to make any noise that would be considered loud by banging a razor, you're going to break or damage it. Unless your definition of loud includes: opening/closing doors, clattering sliver/cookware, frying sounds, etc.

I can't sleep until 2am because I get home from work at 1am most nights, but if she's going to work at 11am I'm inclined to agree that perhaps she is a huge pissbaby and needs to fix her sleep schedule, because I doubt she's working 14-hour shifts and therefore can't use the "gently caress you, I close" excuse

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I shave in the shower like a normal person and lol at all you fuckin sleepologists acting like you know poo poo about how other people's bodies work

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Holy gently caress, I can't believe the lot of you. Are you all the most impolite motherfuckers in the world?

"Excuse me dad, would you mind not tapping your razor loudly, it wakes me up early?"

"NO loving WHORE FAIL DAUGHTER OF MINE SHOULD SPEAK TO ME IN MY HOUSE, GET OUT ON THE STREET, YOU WORTHLESS WRETCH! I HOPE YOU DIE ALONE!"

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

La Brea Carpet posted:

Why can't the girlfriend just get into photography?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I Was The Fury posted:

Why can't the girlfriend just get into photography?

She wants to be the subject of the photos: one of them "instagram models" that climbs up onto a bluff in the painted desert and sticks their rear end in the camera or w/e.

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Holy gently caress, I can't believe the lot of you. Are you all the most impolite motherfuckers in the world?

"Excuse me dad, would you mind not tapping your razor loudly, it wakes me up early?"

"NO loving WHORE FAIL DAUGHTER OF MINE SHOULD SPEAK TO ME IN MY HOUSE, GET OUT ON THE STREET, YOU WORTHLESS WRETCH! I HOPE YOU DIE ALONE!"

No hope necessary, she will die alone if this is all it take to drive her crazy

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I enjoyed the comments on the psych ex story I'll just point out the details that jumped out at me

quote:

I realize you may be thinking that I'm jealous and doing this out of spite. Right now, you simply cannot know whether I am telling you the truth or whether I am fabricating some out of this world lie in order to break you up.

This seems weird to me, because if he's the abusive guy she should be able to describe his behavior in a bit more detail than "there's no way you'll know." That phrasing seems to be more about trying to make the person uncertain.

quote:

You have not known him long enough to trust him. All I can tell you is that I am extremely happy with my amazing boyfriend of 9 months and have cut my ex out of my life completely, I've made no efforts to "get him back".

This section seems really, really, really weird. If it wasn't there, I would be on the "lady helpfully warning new partner" side, but this reads like poo poo stirring gloating from a narc 100% to me

quote:

I could sit here and tell you the worst of the worst of stories about what he has done to me and said to me, and that all of them could happen to you.

"But I won't!" did she just play Destiny?? Why won't you describe it?

quote:

It is in your best interest not to show this message to him, whether you believe me or not. He will deny this, of course, as he used to deny it while it was happening. You will have achieved nothing. My suggestion is to read this, and if you don't believe it, forget about it and go spend time with your boyfriend.

In general I would expect this person to encourage the gf to show the letter to the bf and to tell them what reaction to expect, if it was legitimate. Being like "DONT SHOW IT TO HIM" is really weird, like, the person that feels in the right is generally not concerned about their stuff being exposed. But when people are manipulating, they are.

quote:

But if you ever start to find that he is changing into what I described above, and that he isn't the man who you started dating, you will remember my message and please leave him before it gets worse. Because it will.

-Julia

This is like the 4th entry in the "Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt" section of the letter.

My personal guess is 80% odds intentional fuckery to destroy the relationship, 20% odds legit warning that was phrased oddly.

The only thing that's kinda interesting is that Reddit talked this lady into meeting this dude's ex soo... one way or another, things will probably escalate.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

WampaLord posted:

This seems like the weirdest hill to die on, she's a guest in his house, he's up at the normal time to be getting ready for work, and she's only experiencing this problem because she stares at a screen until 2am every night instead of just going to bed at a reasonable hour and waking up with the family.

Presumably he has to shave and simply can't help but make some noise.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

WampaLord posted:

My adult daughter lives with me and my parents and goes to bed at a very late hour. When I wake up around the incredibly normal time of 7-8 AM, I shave and make breakfast for everyone, this makes some noise. Apparently now I'm the rear end in a top hat that needs to change his behavior because it interrupts her need for 8 hours of sleep which she can't simply deal with by going to bed at like 11 or midnight.

Yawgmoth posted:

I shave in the shower like a normal person and lol at all you fuckin sleepologists acting like you know poo poo about how other people's bodies work

I mean it's pretty well-established that blue light coming off of screens (which she specifically mentions is a thing she's doing at night) fucks with your ability to sleep.

Also shaving in the shower is not what most people do lol. I'm sure you're a master of the blade and never leave a patch you can't see or accidentally cut yourself.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Me [25 M] with my Girlfriend [24 F] of 6 years. I feel trapped with this question that I have no clue how to answer

quote:

The situation is like this. Whenever I comment on something I find hot/sexy/attractive about my girl she always asks me this one question that gets to me: "So you find other girls [insert the thing i find attractive here] hot/sexy/attractive as well?"

Example 1:

Me: "Hey I think it will be hot if you try wearing stilettos when we have sex"
Her: "So you like girls in stilettos?"
And I don't know what to answer. If I answered no, then she will ask "Then why do you find wearing stilettos sexy?". And if i answered yes, well, i'll just die lol..

Another example would be

Me: "Hey, I think you look hot in your bikini/off shoulder top"
Then whenever we pass by another girl who wears an off shoulder top/bikini she will then ask me
Her: "So do you also find that girl wearing that bikini/off shoulder top hot?"

So I feel trapped by this question. Even if I answered yes or no, both ways lead to a disastrous consequence. Because of this, I am now very cautious whenever I call her hot or cute or attractive.

How can I answer this question?

TL;DR: When calling my girlfriend hot because of reason ABC, she asks me if I also find other girls hot because of reason ABC. Feeling stuck because a yes/no answer are both equally disastrous.

This lady is going through incredible lengths to destroy her relationship

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

WampaLord posted:

Imagine being 55 years old and just puttering around your house in the morning, starting your day with a shave and a poo poo, taking care of your adult child that has not learned to succeed in the world

and then having to listen to all their grievances about how the shaving noises and farting noises and snoring noises are all such a terrible imposition as they live there rent free and prospect free

and then you drink I guess

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ArbitraryC posted:

This seems like the weirdest hill to die on, she's a guest in his house, he's up at the normal time to be getting ready for work, and she's only experiencing this problem because she stares at a screen until 2am every night instead of just going to bed at a reasonable hour and waking up with the family.

Presumably he has to shave and simply can't help but make some noise.

You're all acting like she's a Princess being awoken by any noise he makes, when she specifically says it is this ONE LOUD rear end THING he does that is the only issue and she tolerates literally everything else about him.

The weirdest hill to die on is defending the right of some old man you don't know to literally never change his behavior out of courtesy to others. Maybe he should just run people down in the road who get in his way! Who gives a gently caress about politeness, particularly to your own child?

Edit: I give up, y'all are loving dug in on defending rudeness.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

La Brea Carpet posted:

Dump her and let her find a photographer boyfriend so that years from now you can catch up with her and find out exactly how much it sucks to live in a cardboard box.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Danaru posted:

Me [25 M] with my Girlfriend [24 F] of 6 years. I feel trapped with this question that I have no clue how to answer

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ThePeavstenator posted:

My adult daughter lives with me and my parents and goes to bed at a very late hour. When I wake up around the incredibly normal time of 7-8 AM, I shave and make breakfast for everyone, this makes some noise. Apparently now I'm the rear end in a top hat that needs to change his behavior because it interrupts her need for 8 hours of sleep which she can't simply deal with by going to bed at like 11 or midnight.

This is Mirthless-tier making poo poo up, for the record.

Have none of you ever stopped doing a bad habit out of respect for a partner, family member, or friend? Is this a loving foreign concept? To be considerate?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Danaru posted:

I can not believe this guy hasnt sussed out the correct answer is "No, it only looks good on you"

I can believe hes dumb enough to have lasted this long with his girlfriend.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

WampaLord posted:

Have none of you ever stopped doing a bad habit out of respect for a partner, family member, or friend? Is this a loving foreign concept? To be considerate?

I think you're viewing it a different way than other people are.

When adults cohabit there's always some degree of annoyance, homes are not built for good sound insulation so you will be aware of the other person's walking or showering or shaving depending on what that particular house does.

When you live WITH someone, there's sort of the "who is providing the place" question. In this case the house is the grandparents and dad has a routine there, the daughter is staying with them. That means that the way this works is that dad is going to probably impose on the daughter simply by running the household, which tends to be noisy, but in this case it's on the daughter to accommodate the shared living situation. It's where he lives and he's got stuff to do while she's staying as an extended guest, so that's the social etiquette.

If they were roommates or partners then I think it would be reasonable to try to work things out. When you are staying with other people it's generally assumed that you will let them do their routines as they like (since it is their home) without resenting them (since they are helping you out) and that it is you, not them, that will bend to make it work.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

I can not believe this guy hasnt sussed out the correct answer is "No, it only looks good on you"

I can believe hes dumb enough to have lasted this long with his girlfriend.

I CAN believe that he's a clueless cheetobaby who doesn't realize that his girlfriend is a broken, jealous, insecurity-ridden wreck of a human who's only barely holding on to her husk of a self image through the sheer strength of delusion that her boyfriend won't ever leave her if he never finds anyone else attractive ever.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

"Dad has a routine" isn't a good enough excuse. It is not necessary for him to tap the razor, I shave, I know how to get hairs out of razors, there are non-tapping ways. It's not unreasonable for her to ask her dad to change a minor behavior out of respect for his daughter's mental well being.

Have you ever had your sleep schedule hosed with by noises you can't control? It really messes you up.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

I think what people are saying is that "Getting Ready for Work" is so much more important than "Internet Baby Sleepi Till 11:00am" that even the most minor of infractions against the latter by the former are above consideration.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

"There's a household with 3 people that operates a certain way and has for years, but now that I've been staying there for 10 months and leaving in 2 more, they have to change what they're doing to accommodate me - I can't change to accommodate them" is an odd stance to take. It's just odd. Why does it have to be only that way? Why can't the daughter change her sleep schedule, or sleep with a fan, or wear earplugs, or do all of those things?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

blarzgh posted:

I think what people are saying is that "Getting Ready for Work" is so much more important than "Internet Baby Sleepi Till 11:00am" that even the most minor of infractions against the latter by the former are above consideration.

She works too. You know what sucks? Showing up to work tired cause someone's loving up your sleep schedule by being a loving prick.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

"There's a household with 3 people that operates a certain way and has for years, but now that I've been staying there for 10 months and leaving in 2 more, they have to change what they're doing to accommodate me - I can't change to accommodate them" is an odd stance to take. It's just odd. Why does it have to be only that way? Why can't the daughter change her sleep schedule, or sleep with a fan, or wear earplugs, or do all of those things?

Is this guy your grandpa? Why is his right to tap a razor sacrosanct??? "I MUST BE ABLE TO TAP RAZORS IN MY HOUSEHOLD, THERE OUGHTA BE A LAW!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

WampaLord posted:

"Dad has a routine" isn't a good enough excuse. It is not necessary for him to tap the razor, I shave, I know how to get hairs out of razors, there are non-tapping ways. It's not unreasonable for her to ask her dad to change a minor behavior out of respect for his daughter's mental well being.

Have you ever had your sleep schedule hosed with by noises you can't control? It really messes you up.

It's not like the dad's hours are weird tho and her schedule is not so far off she couldn't just go to bed 2 hours earlier and wake up with the fam. This lady does not need to stay up browsing reddit until 2am everynight, it's a habit she can (and should) break.