Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Amazon Prime Video in Canada has the weirdest rear end content when it comes to movies. A bunch of Asylum Films rip offs and documentaries on Hitler and Aliens and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Fayez Butts posted:

Microsoft bought them for 2bn. Gotta get that money back.

If any of it looked remotely licensed, I could see that, but uhh it doesn't at all

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
A bunch of sitcoms are coming to Prime this month.

quote:

“Roseanne” (9 seasons)
“3rd Rock From the Sun” (6 seasons)
“A Different World” (6 seasons)
“Grace Under Fire” (5 seasons)
“Cybill” (4 seasons)
“Grounded for Life” (5 seasons)

[...] come from FilmRise, which owns the distribution rights to the TV series. FilmRise is making them available on Prime Video through the Amazon Video Direct self-service program for studios, distributors and content creators, under which rights holders receive per-hour royalty fees. The batch of six sitcoms is FilmRise’s biggest distribution deal with Amazon Video Direct to date.

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/amazon-prime-video-roseanne-3rd-rock-from-the-sun-full-seasons-1202514732/

edit:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Seriously, what's with that? Does Mojang just not give the tiniest poo poo about their IP?

quote:

the Amazon Video Direct self-service program for studios, distributors and content creators, under which rights holders receive per-hour royalty fees

that's where all the weird stuff's been coming from

Parachute
May 18, 2003
i'm the guy excited for 'grounded for life'

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I wonder how 3rd Rock from the Sun holds up

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Parachute posted:

:same: loved that show way too much

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Color me surprised that Grounded for Life had 5 seasons, I had thought it only made it 2 seasons.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Parachute posted:

Uncle Eddie is one of the best sitcom characters ever.

A MIRACLE posted:

Very well, actually. It was on Netflix not too long ago and the first three seasons fly by and are consistently funny.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005
Adam and Eve Meet the Cannibals has been added to Amazon Prime. You should all check that out; if you make it more than halfway through, good for you!

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

It's awesome and I hope that this doesn't mean Netflix is losing it (did Netflix lose it already?)

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A MIRACLE posted:

Very well. It had a phenomenal cast, and the premise is a classic fish out of water scenario. It didn't rely on pop culture references, which is the quickest way to ensure that a piece of comedy will not age well (ie The Big Bang Theory).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Nihonniboku posted:

Very well. It had a phenomenal cast, and the premise is a classic fish out of water scenario. It didn't rely on pop culture references, which is the quickest way to ensure that a piece of comedy will not age well (ie The Big Bang Theory).

I want to say that there's a lot of... nuance? Especially in the early episodes. There's a lot of play with them being hyper-intelligent beings who are foreign to concepts of bipedal mammalian lifeforms with such complex ranges of emotion, and that's what creates most of the conflict and humor. That, and the dynamics of the characters, like the youngest cast member Tommy actually being the oldest and this being Dick's first big mission but he's in an old man's body because their research was off, etc. There's a lot going on, and it all works while they also try to avoid the normal sitcom tropes and plots. Lithgow puts in a lot of work that most other actors wouldn't for a 30 minute sitcom, not to mention French Stewart's weird-as-gently caress character Harry.

I don't really watch sitcoms, I rarely rewatch shows, but that one was a blast to revisit.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yes, mainstream garbage sitcom that was garbage back then still holds up.

I wonder if My Two Dads holds up. Hard to think it wouldn't, what with the powerhouse duo of Reiser and Evigan.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
3rd Rock From the Sun was not a garbage sitcom, do you watch NewsRadio with that mouth?

Maggot Soup
Aug 18, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

I wish there were some kind of incognito mode so I can watch a clip of one to see what the gently caress it even is without Amazon putting it in my recently watched list and loving up my suggestions.

Not all, but most movies have a "Watch Trailer" option.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
I was only made aware of this today, but Kanopy is offering free streaming of ten movies per month to New York Public Library users starting today. It's also available in a couple hundred other city/school library systems (including Brooklyn, LA, CUNY, and ton of other major universities) so definitely check if it's available. They have the full Criterion collection on there, which Hulu lost earlier this year, and some PBS and BBC stuff as well.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yes, mainstream garbage sitcom that was garbage back then still holds up.

I wonder if My Two Dads holds up. Hard to think it wouldn't, what with the powerhouse duo of Reiser and Evigan.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Le Saboteur posted:

Amazon Prime Video in Canada has the weirdest rear end content when it comes to movies. A bunch of Asylum Films rip offs and documentaries on Hitler and Aliens and poo poo.

Amazon Prime is probably the best streaming service I'm subbed to and it's unfortunate that their layout(?) is so poor.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Cloud Atlas just dropped on Netflix. If you have 3 hours and a lot of weed I think it's an interesting failure.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

Cloud Atlas just dropped on Netflix. If you have 3 hours and a lot of weed I think it's an interesting failure.

It's definitely long, so be prepared for that, but I love Cloud Atlas. Give it a fair open-minded shot and you may be surpised.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

precision posted:

First time I watched it I absolutely hated it. Then I made myself watch it again because I was so mad I didnt "get it", and ended up loving it. Still dont know if I get it... but my advice would be to watch it at least twice.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

It's definitely long, so be prepared for that, but I love Cloud Atlas. Give it a fair open-minded shot and you may be surpised.

Me too.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
If you have a free weekend, read the book. Each story is written in a different dialect, it works really well and the ending quote (which is in the movie) is inspiring and something I think of all of the time when I get depressed and wonder what the point of caring about anything is.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Cloud Atlas Ending Quote:

"Suck my balls, you fuckman."
-- Chinese Kurt Cobain

FIN (frenchums for The END)

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The other ending quote.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You can say the same thing about Cloud Atlas that you can say about the other Wachowski stuff, including Sense8:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Sense8 was clearly made by people who just really love humanity and the human experience and huge chunks of the show are just them cinematically gushing about how great human beings are. It's charming, and it works whereas in the Matrix any time they try to do that it has to overcome all the grime and despair of the setting -- not that those are bad things, but rather they weren't quite proficient enough to make the extreme contrast work. It feels fake, or at least strained, while in Sense8 it seems totally sincere.
Cloud Atlas is a huge sweeping story about how all of humanity is connected... just like Sense8. The main difference is that Cloud Atlas is often a bit of a bummer.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
The best part about it is this big sweeping epic about the enormity of time featuring a 70s pulpy murder mystery and several huge sci-fi stories also just turns into The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel for a while.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I unabashedly, unironically love Cloud Atlas. It has so many things wrong with it (whitewashing, horrible diagloue at points, bad makeup sometimes), but it's so ridiculously out there and so loving earnest I can't help but love it. I think the message that it goes for is actually a really good one, and the movie really does say something to me.

I can also see where people who hate it are coming from, but I don't care. I'll watch it and enjoy it every time. Go into it with an open mind is definitely the right advice. Also make sure you watch it with subtitles because the Sloosha's Crossing stuff is almost unintelligible.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Dat da true-true.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Roseanne still fuckin rules.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

3rd Rock season one is great

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

And come September, Hulu is getting Full House, Family Matters, Perfect Strangers, Step by Step and Hanging with Mr. Cooper.

It's gonna be like reliving primetime television when I was growing up all over again.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Wilhelm Scream posted:

And come September, Hulu is getting Full House, Family Matters, Perfect Strangers, Step by Step and Hanging with Mr. Cooper.

It's gonna be like reliving primetime television when I was growing up all over again.

It'd be amazing if they had a TGIF feature where you couldn't just binge one show, you had to watch one episode each in order.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I've wanted the same deal with cartoons I watched as a kid. I want the Fox Saturday morning lineup with Eek the Cat, Terrible Thunder Lizards, Spider-man, and X-men complete with cereal/toy/video game commercials throughout.

I've found similar stuff on youtube but they're always off by a few years. I figure these only exist as vhs recordings at this point.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

WB released some DVDs that did this exact thing, but it was with 70s or early 80s cartoons.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

A MIRACLE posted:

3rd Rock season one is great

I hate to admit it, but I thought the pilot sucked big time and it put me off until I caught season 2.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later is available on Netflix now. I hope it's good!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

wa27 posted:

Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later is available on Netflix now. I hope it's good!

It's really loving good. The Ken Marino sex scene had me in tears.

edit: and the Michael Ian Black & Bradley Cooper storyline has the best payoff.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 4, 2017

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

wa27 posted:

I had to dig around for it. It wasn't anywhere on the front page for some reason. Same thing happened when Netflix released Rogue One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

I had to dig around for it. It wasn't anywhere on the front page for some reason. Same thing happened when Netflix released Rogue One.

It was like the huge featured item for me.