Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Hello, my friendly RDM wants me to point out that Vercure is useful for spot heals during periods of times when savage bosses are untargetable.

I just want to contradict him and say that it isn't and I got this.

Ok thanks bye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm trying to image a situation where healer throughput is so stressed that additional non-huge single-target heals make a big difference and I can't think of one

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

ntan1 posted:

Hello, my friendly RDM wants me to point out that Vercure is useful for spot heals during periods of times when savage bosses are untargetable.

I just want to contradict him and say that it isn't and I got this.

Ok thanks bye.

What it is good for during untargetable periods is giving the RDM dualcast, so a single vercure is actually a good thing to pop when there's nothing to hit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm trying to image a situation where healer throughput is so stressed that additional non-huge single-target heals make a big difference and I can't think of one

I've seen it in dungeons where a healer doesn't feel comfortable with a big pull or the tank fumbles a button or something and Vercure is the difference between life and death. It's not often and involves poor communication between healer and tank but I've stopped wipes with it.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Vercure's handy for getting a Dualcast proc while the boss is invincible/can't be targeted. Or if the healer dies and you need to buy a few seconds while he's locked in a Raise animation.

You shouldn't stop to heal with it if you can help it, though. It's not a very good healing spell at all.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Meldonox posted:

I'm getting the last of my DoL jobs to 70 in the next hour or two if all goes well, and I'll have them reasonably well equipped soon after that. I've never actually done anything with them before other than hit cap for completion's sake, so uh, what's high end gathering even look like? Is there a decent guide out there to tell me what I should be doing?

Right now it's possible (with lots of overmelds) to get HQ items from 70* nodes, but since you can macro craft with NQ mats with a 90+% HQ rate that doesn't matter very much. Just go for quantity, basically.

There are several varieties of aethersand now spread across each gathering class, all of which will end up getting used for making i320 gear. You can make a decent amount of cash by focusing on these when the windows are open and selling the results. If you want the job-agnostic sands (dusklight and dawnlight), get them as Fisher because it will be way, way faster than as min/bot. You will need at least 5/8 quality for sand to bea potential result of aetherial reduction though.

The folklore books each have one extra legendary gathering item (for now) and all use red scrip and are relatively cheap to the point that you probably have them all if you leveled up using collectables. Right now there is very little reason to farm yellow gathering scrip unless you want the class specific gear for some reason or want the top end fishing bait.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

We briefly talked about this in PBC yesterday, but Bards, how do you get use out of Troubadour? Do you just cycle your songs as normal for best personal DPS and hope for an opportunity to use it, or do you interrupt/rotate out songs to get the Troubadour effect you want?

I hate the physical/magical damage determination in this game, that's gonna make it even harder to use Troub well :(

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

We briefly talked about this in PBC yesterday, but Bards, how do you get use out of Troubadour? Do you just cycle your songs as normal for best personal DPS and hope for an opportunity to use it, or do you interrupt/rotate out songs to get the Troubadour effect you want?

I hate the physical/magical damage determination in this game, that's gonna make it even harder to use Troub well :(

It's easier when you remember that you can use it any time your song is rolling, and it'll maintain the full effect duration through out your next one. You can pop it for Mage's Ballad's 15% more Health at literally the last second, and keep that effect during Paeon, for example. But otherwise, yeah. If the opportunity comes up, use it. It's not something you can plan around for most uses, but there are some that exist. Like in O4S, you can use it on pull with Minuet to help with the incoming magic damage. Or when Exdeath peaces out right as Ballad is ending, so your crew can have more health for the flares and follow up mechanic. Other than that, you can't really go wrong with Ballad for just using it for the sake of using it, and Paeon is more likely to be useful than Minuet unless you know stuffs going to do magic damage.

30 seconds is an incredibly long duration, which is nice to offset how difficult it is to use it accurately. It's a good blanket of time.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 3, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Mages troubadour is pretty much always useful so you can pop that whenever and it won't be a waste.

The others do require a bit more knowledge on the fight.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Be careful with using Mage's Ballad with certain mechanics like O1S Charybdis.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Always pop Mage's Troubadour when White Hole in O4S is halfway through casting so that you petrifiy your entire party.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I personally always start fights in Mages, then go to either Peon or Wanderer's to throw out whatever Troubadour will help reduce damage in the fight.

But yeah you can never really go wrong with using it either way.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Uh, no, I wasn't going to use Vercure in group content, but it might be okay if I'm getting beat on by several enemies in a FATE or something.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

Be careful with using Mage's Ballad with certain mechanics like O1S Charybdis.

This happened to me once doing O1N and nobody could figure out why the hell everybody except me died (because I was away from the party).

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

vOv posted:

This happened to me once doing O1N and nobody could figure out why the hell everybody except me died (because I was away from the party).

A friend of mine figured it out a week ago, and every O1 normal run since has been a game of russian roulette.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

cheetah7071 posted:

The most useful scenario I can think of for vercure, albeit one that shouldn't really happen, is if someone needs a spot heal right this instant but is out of range of the healers but not the RDM.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I am eternally grateful to RDMs that help me get people up when my swiftcast is on cooldown, but I am even more pleased when I'm with an RDM that knows when to put his heals away and go back to DPSing. TBH the most irritating people I've ever healed for in this game are THMs in low level dungeons that cross classed cure and decided to "help" when they noticed I never heal the tank up to full.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Generally when I play RDM, I'll do my best to verraise people and then go back to DPSing. If a healer spent their MP raising, I'll mana shift them. If a healer just got ressed, I'll mana shift them.

I don't do progression content.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

homeless snail posted:

TBH the most irritating people I've ever healed for in this game are THMs in low level dungeons that cross classed cure and decided to "help" when they noticed I never heal the tank up to full.

Yeah, they should have taken Physick instead because Cure can't crit.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I almost always mana shift a healer if they're ~half mp during a transition where I can't hit stuff. Both with RDM and BLM. I wonder if it's ever pissed a healer off.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero

homeless snail posted:

TBH the most irritating people I've ever healed for in this game are THMs in low level dungeons that cross classed cure and decided to "help" when they noticed I never heal the tank up to full.

I still run into Arcanists who snipe heal me in low level dungeons if I'm running leveling roulette on SCH, I guess because they don't like the fact that Eos is sufficient to heal them?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I dunno maybe I’m weird but I don’t really care if the people I’m playing with are 100% optimal 100% of the time.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I dunno maybe I’m weird but I don’t really care if the people I’m playing with are 100% optimal 100% of the time.
Me neither, but a DPS deciding to stop doing damage and instead use comparatively bad heals is like the opposite of optimal, you're pretty much just down a guy at that point.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Galaxy brain DRK rotation

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Having never played a drk I have no idea what any of those are really.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I main DRK.

That person is using abilities in completely random orders, frequently using combo starters or middle combo attacks repeatedly and without the rest of the combo.

Also they didn't use Dark Arts once. Which you should be using basically all the time. Jesus wept.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

That was in a temple of the fist as well. He also had the pro strat of dragging the enemies in the temple itself out of the room, to "avoid the orbs" which chase you anyways, and also caused the groups to reset twice.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Hes doing 1-2 of the souleater combo to regain mana to feed unmends. Unmend is the DRK's ranged single target "pulling" spell and is the same potency as a hard slash (starter of melee combo).

It makes zero sense.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I main DRK.

That person is using abilities in completely random orders, frequently using combo starters or middle combo attacks repeatedly and without the rest of the combo.

Also they didn't use Dark Arts once. Which you should be using basically all the time. Jesus wept.

I don't think dark arts would appear in that view so those syphon strikes could be buffed!

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 4, 2017

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

homeless snail posted:

Me neither, but a DPS deciding to stop doing damage and instead use comparatively bad heals is like the opposite of optimal, you're pretty much just down a guy at that point.

The only time I start focusing on healing as RDM is when all the healers are dead and I'm in content that doesn't let me have verraise. Managed to eke out a couple wins that way.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

For Warrior, read:

Unmend=Tomahawk
Plunge=Onslaught
Syphon Strike=Maim
Carve and Spit=Upheaval (but without a preceding Dark Arts means they're basically using it at low HP)
Abyssal Drain=Overpower
Hard Slash=Heavy Swing

For Paladin, read:

Unmend=Shield Lob
Plunge=N/A
Syphon Strike=Riot Blade
Carve and Spit=Spirits Within (when you have Fight available but not up)
Abyssal Drain=Total Eclipse
Hard Slash=Fast Blade

For not playing a tank, play a tank! Play one of every role to have the vocabulary to understand why people are bad!

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
To be fair, I've saved a few LLDR runs with Physick and/or Resurrection on SMN. A lot of healers in, say, Brayflox or Stone Vigil are only going to have a vague idea of how to play their class, and the trash in those dungeons can hit fairly hard, especially if the tank overpulls or someone gets aggro from one of the wandering mobs there.

Of course, if you're relying on a DPS to heal stuff in 50+ content, something's probably gone terribly wrong. Verraises or Resurrections coming from people are always welcome if they have the extra MP though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I verraise when I see someone's been dead for more than three seconds and then quickly get back to work dpsing

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

good

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Nothing better than a torsoless shirt

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

le reasonable gamer,

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Thundarr posted:

Right now there is very little reason to farm yellow gathering scrip unless you want the class specific gear for some reason or want the top end fishing bait.

Is crafted gear better?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I really wish the various skirts for BRD's were either just a tiny bit longer so that they will stick out from under my glamourd Rainbow Shirt. Or at the very least i wish more of them had less thigh high stockings attached because they just don't look that great along with the red and white coloring i'm going for.

Being fashionable while trying to avoid outright skimpyness is so hard :sigh:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think they've said that there aren't any medium skirts because of technical issues--basically, they would clip with every single pair of thigh high boots in the game, which is like 2/3 of all shoes for some reason. So, nothing but miniskirts and ankle-length skirts

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Shy posted:

Is crafted gear better?

The yellow scrip MH is better unless you overmeld three Vs into the crafted one, so it's not worth it. Everything else you want crafted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

I rarely notice what other people are doing in groups; the only thing that does annoy me is when the healer stands there and does nothing when the tank doesn't need healing, or constantly heals them to 100% instead of dpsing.

This could be a side effect of me only playing a healer for 90% of my time playing this game though.