Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

GalacticAcid posted:

Love hearing from my not-online friends

What's dril indeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I'm still laughing about that dudes mom talking about Matt being the angry toilet ghost of communism

That's a good SA username.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Henchman of Santa posted:

She was trying to say 10% but hosed it up

Huh, fair enough, I missed that part. Not that it's much better, but I guess it's ever so slightly less stupid.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Rhesus Pieces posted:

https://twitter.com/byyourlogic/status/893177898013782016

What the gently caress universe do these people live in

Yeah if it's to push him into a lake.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I know one person who was for Bernie in the primary that didn't eventually vote for Clinton. She voted for Johnson and then went hard for Trump, pizzagate, and 9/11 trutherism after the election because she has borderline personality disorder. To be clear, she always did, the election wasn't a mental breaking point like it was for many centrists.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Are you talking about the racist guy?

Halloween Jack posted:

Giordano is frankly less entertaining than that Svitavsky guy.
Yeah, this guy. His pre-woke tweets had already been dug up but here's the thing that was getting talked about yesterday, from an organization that was considering supporting him as a challenger:
https://twitter.com/Jon4Vermont/status/892935960203284480

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Having an extremely online Twitter president has some really bad downfalls.

There's a person who I respect very, very much professionally. He does wonderful work, and is a standout in his field. But after the election, he's taken to tweeting really cringey sophomoric insults at Trump at least 2-3 times a day.

It sucks.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I could rant about this at length, but in brief: I don't get people whose Twitter is just cataloguing every stupid/offensive thing Trump says and maybe firing back. It's bad that this senile narcissist is the president, but he still won after being caught on tape admitting to sexual assault. I'm not sure what they're getting out of it, doing a how-dare-you-sir every time he calls somebody ugly or a loser.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Halloween Jack posted:

I could rant about this at length, but in brief: I don't get people whose Twitter is just cataloguing every stupid/offensive thing Trump says and maybe firing back. It's bad that this senile narcissist is the president, but he still won after being caught on tape admitting to sexual assault. I'm not sure what they're getting out of it, doing a how-dare-you-sir every time he calls somebody ugly or a loser.

Exactly. It's all performative and it is actually making me lose respect for this guy, which is a bummer.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Exactly. It's all performative and it is actually making me lose respect for this guy, which is a bummer.

Isn't twitter all performative anyway? It's just a boring one man show about a boring life. That's why weird twitter is better than real people twitter.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Penisaurus Sex posted:

take his passion for shitposting and be like his corner man, upping his game and redirecting him from trump to radicalize his tweeting and have him drag like some lovely take centrist coward libs

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
This is the best account on Twitter and the reason I've come around on it.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I dunno, I find it hard to judge people on their venting strategy. Most normal people are truly worried and pissed off and angry, but don't realize they can channel their political energy into things outside the democratic party, so they vent any way they can.

I blame the Joy Ann Reids of the world, the pundits with a platform and power, for doing everything they can to stymie political energy by smearing voices alternative to the Democrats as sexist or w/e

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Famethrowa posted:

I dunno, I find it hard to judge people on their venting strategy. Most normal people are truly worried and pissed off and angry, but don't realize they can channel their political energy into things outside the democratic party, so they vent any way they can.

I blame the Joy Ann Reids of the world, the pundits with a platform and power, for doing everything they can to stymie political energy by smearing voices alternative to the Democrats as sexist or w/e

I blame the first-past-the-post system in the US that has forced us into a two-party "or else you'll throw away your vote" situation.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

prefect posted:

I blame the first-past-the-post system in the US that has forced us into a two-party "or else you'll throw away your vote" situation.

Yeah but I mean what are you going to do, sweeping, common-sense electoral reform? :shrug:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Yeah but I mean what are you going to do, sweeping, common-sense electoral reform? :shrug:

Sorry, but the two parties that are in power don't feel like doing anything that would let other people muscle in on their scene.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I don't think I would trust a ConCon to turn out better than worse right now.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Trabisnikof posted:

I don't think I would trust a ConCon to turn out better than worse right now.

Also yeah. We would immediately move into the Snow Crash world where corporations have completely overtaken the government, but more dystopian.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

prefect posted:

That too, but I see liberal pundits as doing everything possible to keep leftists from working within the party to shift it slightly left.

I mean, even new deal poo poo is discouraged by the party voices.

When I say outside the party, I mean outside organizing groups that work to shape policy leftward.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

https://www.mediamatters.org/blog/2017/08/02/right-wing-troll-mike-cernovich-says-hes-doing-big-pivot-away-trump/217492

LMAO

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
"Just bought a copy of the DSA Manifesto"

With a non-stolen tag of mine: "The follow-up is WoC? Bend :clap: The :clap: Knee!"

Apoplexy fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 4, 2017

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/chapotraphouse/status/893271690704281600

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Guest starring Mickey Rooney as Mr. Yunioshi on the right!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lol the baby has better socks on

Edit: the smaller baby has the better socks

Thermite
Aug 16, 2006

Huzzah!

Glad to see them hitting up Pequod's

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Might cause Virgil some troubles later

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

he is even standing like a baby.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
lol

https://twitter.com/HoneydewWilkins/status/893276308272107520

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

lmao he looks like he sees a balloon out of frame

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I'm just glad Matt looks happy tbh

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

when you gotta seize the means of production at 6 but have nap time at 7

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I'm just glad Matt looks happy tbh

:unsmith:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Just can't believe Matt supported the Iraq war, but glad that new law is finally catching on.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Mr. Lobe posted:

Whether the quality of his analysis is of greater consequence than this, hard to say. I thought his perspectives were interesting before hearing about his past, but I don't think there's anything unique or irreplaceable about his takes that would absolutely compel looking past his history.

It really doesn't matter.

I honestly don't understand what kind of political point anyone is trying to make by not reading something a guy wrote because he may have done something sketchy decades ago which is largely unrelated to anything he currently writes about. Especially if 'the quality of the writing' is one of the factors to consider in this moralizing.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 4, 2017

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Spoeank posted:

when you gotta seize the means of production at 6 but have nap time at 7

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I honestly don't understand what kind of political point anyone is trying to make by not reading something a guy wrote because he may have done something sketchy decades ago which is largely unrelated to anything he currently writes about.

The same kind of point someone could make by refusing to listen to R. Kelly or watch movies by Woody Allen, Roman Polanski, Victor Salva, etc. You could be missing out on great works, but I completely understand why someone would pass on that because of the crimes the authors have committed.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The same kind of point someone could make by refusing to listen to R. Kelly or watch movies by Woody Allen, Roman Polanski, Victor Salva, etc. You could be missing out on great works, but I completely understand why someone would pass on that because of the crimes the authors have committed.

"Manhattan" feels kind of weird, since it's about a guy dating a seventeen-year-old.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea it's not really that complex. "I don't want to support or consume someone who I feel has done repugnant things" isn't some radical stance. You can disagree with where their line is and argue that certain things are 'worth' the compromise of ethics, but it's not some crazy concept.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Personally I go in for the compromise position of "if the creator is a dick, find a way to consume their work without paying for it."

Of course, I don't pay for anything if I can help it anyway, but it's a nice way to sidestep a tricky ethical dilemma into the bargain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/RickyRawls/status/893166691013865474