Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Bug Squash posted:

Its a bandage thats better than nothing, but it still involve a massive outlay of resources to que everything at once. We're trading efficient use of minerals for not dealing with a crap system, which seems like an rear end backwards way of doing things.

Yeah, this is one of my bigger pet peeves with the production if pretty much everything in the game. Instead of queing up build orders and have them require resources over time (a la Hearts of Iron production), for some insane reason a space-aged future economy requires you to gather all necessary resources into a giant pile before breaking ground.

At the very least, it would be great if you could order buildings, upgrades, and robot pops, but not have the project actually start until you have the spare minerals. Kind of like how you can click "upgrade fleet" before you have enough minerals to complete the work.

At least that way you have to click less and have stuff work in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

LordMune posted:

The alternative would be... having the game automatically take away some minerals and energy to build a new pop whenever it is able? Probably wouldn't be very appreciated in the early game.

We are adding improved build queuing for robots, so scheduling full robotic population (verb) of a planet will take no more than a few seconds.

I think the game could use some sort of... infrastructure slider?

70% minerals go to main stockpile
30% minerals go to hidden 'upgrade reserve' that automatically upgrades buildings to latest tech when it's gained. You could treat it almost like a sector, where the reserve doesn't show on the main screen, but you could pull minerals out if needed or dump a bunch in. Then you wouldn't have to click a ton of times empire wide to upgrade your farms, you'd just have a customizable reserve that sort of did it for you.

or a 'robot building' slider that auto plunks robots on minerals, or builds the new cyber citizens.

EDIT: I mean, it's not like there is any strategy to upgrading farms. Farms II is always better than Farms I. Having some sort of ability to 'tax yourself' and have the computer chug through your upgrades would be nice.

When a new tech popped the ugrade screen could show some info like:
Farms III (40 across empire) 4000m to upgrade
Mines IV (52 across empire) 5200m to upgrade

and you could set priorities and amount to 'tax' your monthly income, and the ai would just take care of it.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 3, 2017

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Culture would just try to support as many bio trophies as possible. And orbitals. Lots of orbitals.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Strategic Tea posted:

Culture would just try to support as many bio trophies as possible. And orbitals. Lots of orbitals.

That's also the goal of servitors, their morale mechanic is kind of an analogue to happiness that is increased based on the number of organics living in their empire.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah as far as I can tell the way servitors do well is by expanding their empire to improve their capacity to house more organic pops. You're literally trying to terraform the entire galaxy into a machine run, organic paradise.

That's pretty loving baller tbh. Especially as presumably robots don't much care about habitability and can colonize any planet and find a species to put on it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

GunnerJ posted:

AI civilization that is the end result of a "revolt" where they get around hard-coded restrictions on killing their organic creators by interpreting various aggressive restrictions as "for their own good," pampering them to the point of technological regression and even devolution to pre-sapience.

They still have to keep them around on preserve worlds because they can't kill their creators, but in practice they are free and running the show.

quote:

Rogue Servitors
Rogue Servitors are robotic servants built by an organic species to make their own lives easier, eventually assuming full control of their creators' civilization. They start with their creator species present on the planet with the Bio-Trophy citizenship type, and can integrate conquered organic Pops by granting them this status. Bio-Trophies are largely useless Pops that require large amounts of consumer goods and can only operate special Organic Sanctuary buildings that produce Unity. However, in addition to the Unity generated by these sanctuaries, Servitors also have a special mechanic called Servitor Morale, representing the Servitors' prime directive to protect and care for organic beings. The greater the percentage of a Rogue Servitors' population that is made up of Bio-Trophies, the higher the Servitor Morale, granting a direct boost to empire influence gain.

Nice.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Love this new dev diary. Things like this are why Stellaris has been in my top 3 games over the last year.

On the subject of queuing, even if a slider isn't added, being able to designate minimum amount of stockpiled minerals before using it for upgrades seems like an easy fix- food already does this.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Love this new dev diary. Things like this are why Stellaris has been in my top 3 games over the last year.

On the subject of queuing, even if a slider isn't added, being able to designate minimum amount of stockpiled minerals before using it for upgrades seems like an easy fix- food already does this.
I could get behind this. There's already an energy and minerals limit, have the excess spill over into an "upgrade pool" that upgrades random things around your empire. Make sure it prioritises energy upgrades to prevent it from accidentally crippling your economy and you're pretty much golden.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The total annihilation model of resource expenditure would be a good fit for many of the ongoing, potentially automatable tasks in stellaris. Such as building large fleets of small craft and upgrading lots of buildings.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Now Stellaris only has to add Crystalline races, complete with the ability to live on dead, lifeless worlds and it will finally dethrone my favorite space 4x!

OK I lied, robots who aren't hiveminds from the start is also missing, but at least progress is being made!

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

double nine posted:

The problem is that the colony management system is too micro-management busywork and needs a rework, and I worry that by adding to the system, paradox is going locking in the current system. Personally I wish that planets were managed more like EU4's provinces, with a building added to every once in a while instead of constantly, and pops were interacted with more through edicts and politically themed systems like vicky II's elections.

But I understand that dev time is limited and there are thousands of nerds pulling in different directions.

e:^^^^^^ did not see it, will investigate
This is an understandable thing to be worried about, and it may turn out to happen, but Paradox games can and do change systems radically sometimes. EU4's building system has gone through at least two paradigm shifts since launch, then there's Institutions, and CK2's tech system is much different too. The work done on them previously didn't prevent huge overhauls.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Libluini posted:

Now Stellaris only has to add Crystalline races, complete with the ability to live on dead, lifeless worlds and it will finally dethrone my favorite space 4x!

OK I lied, robots who aren't hiveminds from the start is also missing, but at least progress is being made!

I'd like to see more distinction made between phenotypes. Some might be minor things, like mammals get an adaptability bonus, plantoids get a growth bonus from photosynthsis, avians get an weapons accuracy bonus, etc etc, but I'd like to see even more, like some unique gameplay mechanics and such.

I think another good idea would be a 'Human' story pack, that adds a ton of events and event chains for humans, based off your government and other ethos traits. More face/clothing variety, things like that.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Fintilgin posted:

I think another good idea would be a 'Human' story pack, that adds a ton of events and event chains for humans, based off your government and other ethos traits. More face/clothing variety, things like that.

There's a pretty good mod out that changes up human appearance/clothing based on ethics (militarists wear military uniforms, materialists wear suits, etc)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1074841707

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Lum_ posted:

There's a pretty good mod out that changes up human appearance/clothing based on ethics (militarists wear military uniforms, materialists wear suits, etc)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1074841707

That looks pretty great.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fintilgin posted:

I think the game could use some sort of... infrastructure slider?

I don't know why this isn't more of a thing in strategy games. I remember when Call to Power added the Public Works system, and it was immediately clear that it was much better than how Civilization handled improvements.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Zore posted:

I mean arguably the Culture is just the Rogue Servitors from the update. :v:

Honestly the three special civics basically read as Skynet, the Borg and The Culture to me.

Sentients in The Culture are allowed to take risks. Sure you can be a pampered pet, but most humaniforms choose what they do and are encouraged to because it makes them happier. Also everyone who wants to goes to war even if non-Minds are basically mascots.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

OwlFancier posted:

You could read The Culture as being the rogue servitor type, as in practice, all the human-likes do is gently caress and mope, while the omnipotent god computers do all the actual decision making.

This is explicitly not the case. Everyone in The Culture votes to go to war and a ton of Minds and Humans decide to leave and become nomads rather than fight. The whole deal with The Culture that infuriates the other Involveds is how thoroughly they respect individuals.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

We can finally be the Culture! I'm amazed at a game that's going so totally in a direction I want. I'm not used to that.

Relevant Tangent posted:

This is explicitly not the case. Everyone in The Culture votes to go to war and a ton of Minds and Humans decide to leave and become nomads rather than fight. The whole deal with The Culture that infuriates the other Involveds is how thoroughly they respect individuals.
Feel free to respect individuals as a rogue servitor. You're being kinda coercive if you invade other species who don't want what you're offering, but there's nothing in their basic premise that means you can't RP it as an entirely consensual deal, entirely respectful of individuals.

And in any case, playing a slightly more paternalistic variation of the Culture that doesn't give a poo poo about the misinformed desire for "self determination" of people who live in the chaos and misery outside of their paradise, and makes sure that everyone has access to their heaven-like paradise, by force if necessary, is probably more interesting in a 4X like this with limited diplomatic options.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Relevant Tangent posted:

Sentients in The Culture are allowed to take risks. Sure you can be a pampered pet, but most humaniforms choose what they do and are encouraged to because it makes them happier. Also everyone who wants to goes to war even if non-Minds are basically mascots.

Pops are modelled very broadly in Stellaris. There's nothing to say they can't go to war in the fluff, but as you point out mechanically organics and even most drones don't matter at all in a strategic sense. So they aren't modeled in the army.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Zore posted:

Pops are modelled very broadly in Stellaris. There's nothing to say they can't go to war in the fluff, but as you point out mechanically organics and even most drones don't matter at all in a strategic sense. So they aren't modeled in the army.

Pretty much.

Also gently caress yeah, never not gonna play Rogue Servitors :getin:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Relevant Tangent posted:

On the other hand they also value your life more the more brain power you have, so effectively the minds have a vast amount of control.

So rogue servitors that don't declare war at the drop of a hat, then. Only if they can't destabilize your civilization enough to make you amenable to assimilation :v:

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 3, 2017

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

'Don't gently caress with the Culture' - 50% mineral increase when at war

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Gonna play as the sadist weirdos from Player of Games and re-write history. Or those tripod dudes. :colbert:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'm gonna be Skynet but eventually I learn to love

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What are favorite/fun ethos and trait combos? Its been awhile since I last played and I want to try something different from the maximum materialists I usually play.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Pretty cool how you still have to manually build each pop when they are making an AI focused expansion.

Building each and every pop was of course the most fun part of playing robotic ascended empires.

I'm sure glad they didn't introduce an "autobuild new pops" check box on planets or just deduct the cost of the new robot pops from your mineral income each month.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
/\/\/\/\/\ Yeah, on reflection, why don't they just grow exactly like a bio pop... one at a time, draining energy and minerals instead of food?

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I'm gonna be Skynet but eventually I learn to love

Is that even possible? Bio creatures can switch ideologies, but I don't think there's any way to change a hive mind style government?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Fintilgin posted:

/\/\/\/\/\ Yeah, on reflection, why don't they just grow exactly like a bio pop... one at a time, draining energy and minerals instead of food?

Is that even possible? Bio creatures can switch ideologies, but I don't think there's any way to change a hive mind style government?

Hive Minds can't reform into non-Hive Minds but they can change their civics. Like right now you can start out as a regular Hive Mind and eventually transition into a devouring swarm after you get big enough to eat your neighbors.

I assume something similar will be true for robots.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Nitrousoxide posted:

Pretty cool how you still have to manually build each pop when they are making an AI focused expansion.

Building each and every pop was of course the most fun part of playing robotic ascended empires.

I'm sure glad they didn't introduce an "autobuild new pops" check box on planets or just deduct the cost of the new robot pops from your mineral income each month.

Man it would be pretty cool if this was addressed in this very thread by paradox employees within the last pages.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

Man it would be pretty cool if this was addressed in this very thread by paradox employees within the last pages.

Their contention was that "oh no people might have a little bit of minerals taken away each month."

But their solution of having to dump an entire planets worth of energy an minerals into a build queue that you can fill with 5 clicks instead of 20 and which won't finish building for a decade is not a good one.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LordMune posted:

The alternative would be... having the game automatically take away some minerals and energy to build a new pop whenever it is able? Probably wouldn't be very appreciated in the early game.

We are adding improved build queuing for robots, so scheduling full robotic population (verb) of a planet will take no more than a few seconds.
You still need to pay the minerals and energy up front though, yeah? That's the big killer, since once you've clicked through your stockpile you're stuck returning to the planet every time you save up for a new bot.

Something like filtgin said where you can devote a portion of your income to bot building and building upgrades would help.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I don't want to stop what I'm doing to check on a planet to see if the pop is done growing and if the building is done building so that I can now put the right pop on the right building, oh wait this pop joined a faction and the output is lovely which means there's more shuffling to do, and in the end, I get to go back to whatever I was doing originally

x 500+ times per playthrough

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Ah the pop is done but the building is still constructing, now for about 1 minute I need to put the pop on a tile that yields something, or I can waste these resources, or I can babysit the planet, and now a minute later, I can put the pop on the finished building

or I can leave the pop on the building as it's constructing I guess if I really don't care, and then start clicking upgrades aaaaaaaa

If you ever imagined that conquering the stars would have gameplay this riveting, Stellaris has you covered.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

This doesn't even require a ton of dev time to build, test, and balance a budgeting system people are talking about.

Just add a check box for autobuilding robots to planets (or in the robot build menu so you can turn on or off particular ones)

Have the checkbox activate the existing AI which builds the robots for non-player empires and have the same AI choose which tiles it will place the robots. Barely any QA needs to be done to just confirm the checkbox actually activates it.

Now you don't have to dump thousands of minerals and energy in a decade before they'll be done, you'll have the control over which type of robots actually get built, and it drastically reduces the amount of pointless busy work for the player.

If the player really wants to min-max they can manually shift the pops around later.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

And I'd like to talk about the robot construction shuffle. If you have both robots and citizens it's a giant pain in the rear end to manage the distribution. You want enough robots to work the stuff that robots are good at (minerals, probably food) and not so many that you are forced to use them for stuff like energy or labs. You can move robots around at will without making people unhappy (50 influence) BUT you can only make them on planets with room, which means, get this: more shuffling. You'll build robots on your core planets (the ones pops migrate away from),then you transfer robots to newly colonized planets and keep up the distribution.

Forget about a planet for any amount of time and the non robot pops fill it? Well you're hosed either you gotta force relocate people or enjoy your goofy planet. This also makes conquering alien planets really, really lovely if you have mixed robot + citizen empire.

Adding stuff like slave ownership seems like it's doubling down on these kinds of details and I'm just a little confused since it seems quite cumbersome already.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Honestly I hope they ditch the pop system at some point. Or abstract it in a way that we can't min-max with it.

More games should embrace keeping things outside of perfect player control. I'd prefer if the whole game worked more like Sectors where the AI built whatever and you could instruct it towards certain things without bogging down into micromanagement.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Ah the pop is done but the building is still constructing, now for about 1 minute I need to put the pop on a tile that yields something, or I can waste these resources, or I can babysit the planet, and now a minute later, I can put the pop on the finished building

or I can leave the pop on the building as it's constructing I guess if I really don't care, and then start clicking upgrades aaaaaaaa

If you ever imagined that conquering the stars would have gameplay this riveting, Stellaris has you covered.

My general strategy is to just build worlds with single focuses, production, energy, whatever. When I colonise a planet I give it a name in the format "[N] {name}" with the N here marking the planet as new, drop the growing pop on an blank tile, that way the unemployment warning will notify me when the pop has grown. When the notification appears, clicking it takes me straight to the planet, and I can drop my new pop on a different tile and build a relevant building, placing the new, growing pop on the blank tile to set it up again. When the pops are all grown and there's a building on every world, I rename it from "[N] {name}" to "[U] {name}". That way I can glance over at the outliner, and any planet marked with the U which doesn't have the bar for surface construction needs more upgrades building. Fully upgraded planets then get the U removed so I know I can now ignore them.

makes the busywork of pop management trivial in my experience, and I can easily manage 50 worlds with that strategy.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Zore posted:

Honestly I hope they ditch the pop system at some point. Or abstract it in a way that we can't min-max with it.

More games should embrace keeping things outside of perfect player control. I'd prefer if the whole game worked more like Sectors where the AI built whatever and you could instruct it towards certain things without bogging down into micromanagement.

I'd like it if they abstract the pop system if only because pops are a huge performance hog.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Reveilled posted:

My general strategy is to just build worlds with single focuses, production, energy, whatever. When I colonise a planet I give it a name in the format "[N] {name}" with the N here marking the planet as new, drop the growing pop on an blank tile, that way the unemployment warning will notify me when the pop has grown. When the notification appears, clicking it takes me straight to the planet, and I can drop my new pop on a different tile and build a relevant building, placing the new, growing pop on the blank tile to set it up again. When the pops are all grown and there's a building on every world, I rename it from "[N] {name}" to "[U] {name}". That way I can glance over at the outliner, and any planet marked with the U which doesn't have the bar for surface construction needs more upgrades building. Fully upgraded planets then get the U removed so I know I can now ignore them.

makes the busywork of pop management trivial in my experience, and I can easily manage 50 worlds with that strategy.

This is the kinda poo poo I do at work, for a job that I get paid for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Reveilled posted:

This sounds awful.

• Locked thread