Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
McGinn will always be better as an NPR pundit than as a mayor. I thought Oliver might punch through until I saw the Stranger backed Moon, but hey that's fine.

Hopefully once all our kook votes consolidate it'll be enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Yeah Durkan is only covering about 30% of the votes. If Moon gets Oliver's, Farrell's and McGinn's votes, she's in good shape. Also, Durkan got endorsed by Murray, which hasn't really played itself out yet.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/jeffmerkley/status/892477799663104000

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Merkley looks like a dad who's gonna burn the hell out of your steak.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
they're def. gonna have propane at that event

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

they're def. gonna have propane at that event

And if they do have charcoal, you can tell he is a two bottles of lighter fluid kind of guy.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
With the air quality and with how dry it is it just seemed like a bad idea to make that a sponsored tweet.

slippery doc
Jan 17, 2006

kill the boy,
save the man

Checked in on the most recent tallies for the Seattle mayor race to see what the updated percentages are...

so much for the tolerant left

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

El Jebus posted:

And if they do have charcoal, you can tell he is a two bottles of lighter fluid kind of guy.

"lighter fluid? don't need it, we got match-lite!!"

:rolleyes:

anthonypants posted:

With the air quality and with how dry it is it just seemed like a bad idea to make that a sponsored tweet.

point to a sponsored tweet that is a good idea

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

"lighter fluid? don't need it, we got match-lite!!"

:rolleyes:

point to a sponsored tweet that is a good idea
A guy sponsored a picture of his cat. He deleted his twitter so I can't share it with you, but it was a good picture.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

the new jazz posted:

Checked in on the most recent tallies for the Seattle mayor race to see what the updated percentages are...

To be optimistic, that is 22,000 that voted the way the stranger told them to vs. 40,000 that saw a name on facebook/seattle times vs. 20,000 people that gave a poo poo. That is a fair number of people giving a poo poo.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
If he isn't using a chimney to get his coals going then he must not grill much.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

therobit posted:

If he isn't using a chimney to get his coals going then he must not grill much.

Truth

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

the new jazz posted:

On the other hand both citywide city council races have a woman of color in first place. Pretty sure Oliver's problem is more that people doubt her qualifications or think she's too far left.

edit: \/\/\/\/ goddamnit I'm dumb

Cicero fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 4, 2017

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Folx, it was a numbers joke. That number means things to bad people.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I noticed the 14.88 right away but that's probably cause I'm a brokebrains. I wonder how influential The Stranger's endorsement of Moon helped her, versus hurting Oliver's.

Anyway, stay inside today, everyone. Air quality is real bad. Department of ecology says don't even do light exercise outside.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yeah same. I saw it immediately because stupid CSPAM memes infect my brain completely.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

seiferguy posted:

I wonder how influential The Stranger's endorsement of Moon helped her, versus hurting Oliver's.

A good portion of the city votes strictly based on the voters guide in The Stranger. If they has endorsed Oliver, I am pretty certain she would have beat Moon in the primary by quite a bit.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

DevNull posted:

A good portion of the city votes strictly based on the voters guide in The Stranger. If they has endorsed Oliver, I am pretty certain she would have beat Moon in the primary by quite a bit.

Unless people are getting their port commissioner information elsewhere it feels like The Stranger might be less influential than we think. Or it could be the only reason their picks are as close as they are I guess.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
To be fair, for a lot of the smaller races I'll usually follow the Stranger's voting guide to see their take. Cause I sure as hell am not going to follow the Seattle Times on that.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things
Even if the Stranger reliably picks Seattle races, it doesn't mean that people are just voting whatever way the Stranger says, the staff that composes the voter guides could just be a good reflection of Seattle voters. (I realize some people do just follow the Stranger, it's just hard to measure, especially in ridiculous 21 way races)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Portland got a new police chief https://www.portlandmercury.com/blogtown/2017/08/07/19216610/mike-marshman-out-oaklands-danielle-outlaw-in-as-new-portland-police-chief

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Portland police update: they murdered a goat

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Immigrant couple takes advantage of poor, innocent fantastically wealthy poeple.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Owns, but not PNW

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Abolish the police!

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

Abolish the police!

Have you considered giving them a seat on your national political committee instead?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

All Cops Are Baaaaaaaaaaastards.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

DevNull posted:

Have you considered giving them a seat on your national political committee instead?
heyooooo

Also in other Portland police news, things kind of seem like a mess right now

https://www.portlandmercury.com/blo...e-big-questions posted:

At this point last month, most citizens assumed cops were being interviewed by internal police bureau investigators right after they used deadly force. That was, after all, a central promise of a police union contract last year.

Then in mid-July, a bombshell. The district attorney's office was uncomfortable with interviews on such a short time frame, so the city had quietly done away with them.

And now? As of today? They're back—the result of some hurried legislative wrangling that we reported about on Monday.

http://www.wweek.com/news/city/2017/08/09/mayor-ted-wheeler-yanks-police-reform-items-off-the-city-council-agenda/ posted:

Although Mayor Ted Wheeler brought two police reform proposals to Portland City Council last week, he yanked both from this week's agenda just before today's council meeting.

One of the changes would have established the Portland Commission on Community-Engaged Policing, a board made up of volunteer members of the public who would review police policies. That panel is meant to replace the failed Community Oversight Advisory Board and fulfill a requirement of the 2012 settlement agreement with the U.S. Department of Justice that found a pattern of excessive use of force against people suffering from mental illness.

The proposal will now be brought to council at a later date.

The other proposal would have clarified the city's position on the controversial "48-Hour Rule" and put into place a code change allowing the city to compel testimony officers involved in fatal shootings without delay.

Wheeler's office said it is postponing the vote on the new policy in order to incorporate changes and draft a better version of the new rules.

For now, the city will return to its previous practice of interviewing officers in the immediate aftermath of shootings.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

My favorite thing about this is the final two bits of this version. It's so good.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
That's loving beautiful.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
High pressure winds are supposed to be coming from the east that will hopefully push all this smoke away. Soon we won't have to constantly breathe fumes and have the worst air quality in the US!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

seiferguy posted:

High pressure winds are supposed to be coming from the east that will hopefully push all this smoke away. Soon we won't have to constantly breathe fumes and have the worst air quality in the US!
I'm still hopeful that the smoke and/or clouds will block the eclipse down here

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

anthonypants posted:

I'm still hopeful that the smoke and/or clouds will block the eclipse down here
Yeah, gently caress the eclipse because... sorry, got nothing. If it scares you, just stay inside or something.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

rgocs posted:

Yeah, gently caress the eclipse because... sorry, got nothing. If it scares you, just stay inside or something.

Having a million people flock to Oregon for nothing would actually be pretty funny.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

DevNull posted:

Having a million people flock to Oregon for nothing would actually be pretty funny.

You mean a normal commute day for Vancouver residents.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

rgocs posted:

Hmm, yes, a million of this guy coming very briefly to the middle of Oregon whose only lasting accomplishment will be to gently caress up public land by overcamping and setting fires during a burn ban is actually cool, and good,

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
wow, did someone hit your cat or something? I'm sensing a lot of pent up hostility

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I'm taking a train to get to Eclipse land!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

coyo7e posted:

wow, did someone hit your cat or something? I'm sensing a lot of pent up hostility

I grew up in rural Oregon. I just want others to experience what I experienced.