Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

So is Turnbull actually admitting that the refugees not a real threat or is he just saying anything because he's desperate to ship them off?

This is gold.

He's saying they're no threat. Everyone knows they're no threat (or at the very least that the absolute majority are no threat). It doesn't contradict the government's policy or anything said previously though because stop the boats is just about stopping any refugees/immigrants from the 3rd world under the guise of breaking people smuggling rackets.

Like look at Eaten Fish and blokes on the islands like that. These people are value adders and can't get off the prison islands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

JBP posted:

Yeah but it's not like Turnbull doesn't understand why it's stupid. He explicitly stated we won't let in a Nobel winner because stop the boats. It's just make believe to deliver evil poo poo to Australians and MPs that clomor for it and he is across this.

of course, but trump forced him to admit that it'd all theatre, which i don't think has happened before. turnbull would never make the noble [sic] prize remark in public, because it's not part of the narrative. through sheer idiocy, trump managed to find the inconsistency of alp/lnp refugee policy and make turnbull own it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BBJoey posted:

of course, but trump forced him to admit that it'd all theatre, which i don't think has happened before. turnbull would never make the noble [sic] prize remark in public, because it's not part of the narrative. through sheer idiocy, trump managed to find the inconsistency of alp/lnp refugee policy and make turnbull own it.

Yeah, we've always known it was theatre and it's and interesting conversation, but I don't think it's some exciting got you moment since the people the policy appeases in government and in society won't be moved by this.

Most likely effect is it drives another nail into Turnbull and we get potatoville faster.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Drive a couple of nails into Dutton and we can at least make a battery out of him!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

1500 tonnes of coke intercepted on a yacht coming to Australia. Cue the "TONY U STOPPED THE WRONG BOAT" posts.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Credit where credit is due, they are both idiots but Trump hosed Turnbull up. The whole transcript is Turnbull goes "Let me explain!"

And Trump going why are you doing this why is this a big deal for you?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
trump owns

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i never thought i'd feel sorry for malcolm turnbull but here we are

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
bop the goats

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I feel bad for Turnbull because he turned his back on being a very good lawyer to become a finance guy and then he became the Prime Minister of Australia which seems like a really dumb and stupid job.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-04/whitehaven-coal-environment-licence-breaches-raise-concerns/8771156

loving NIMBYs blocking adgile investment in the technology of the future.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-03/cpa-senate-board-to-face-senate-economics-committee/8772428

One can only hope for this to lead to a spectacular own goal.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
and he's really bad at it lol

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

the old ceremony posted:

i never thought i'd feel sorry for malcolm turnbull but here we are

We've all seen Trump but seeing Turnbull, who is intelligent, trying to speak with him is so cringe inducing. I can't imagine being around someone that dumb, it's like interning for Dutton.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
the only way to communicate effectively with trump is slap your fists on the table and scream DONALD TRUUUUUUHMP until you have a stroke

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

We've all seen Trump but seeing Turnbull, who is intelligent, trying to speak with him is so cringe inducing. I can't imagine being around someone that dumb, it's like interning for Dutton.

Dutton seems dull but evil. Brandis seems like he's actually super super stupid.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

hooman posted:

Dutton seems dull but evil. Brandis seems like he's actually super super stupid.

http://www.sbs.com.au/comedy/article/2016/05/04/peter-dutton-tried-stop-photo-and-it-backfired-spectacularly

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Anidav posted:

Credit where credit is due, they are both idiots but Trump hosed Turnbull up. The whole transcript is Turnbull goes "Let me explain!"

And Trump going why are you doing this why is this a big deal for you?

Turnbull is openly telling Trump "you can just pretend to honour the agreement and not actually do it" and he still had a complete "I don't wanna!" meltdown over it. That transcript is in no way is a positive for Trump.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Developers are funny

quote:

‘Lip service’: Green walls in Brisbane’s West End labelled a failure

Angry Brisbane residents have hit out at a developer for failing to deliver on promises to build a green wall on South Brisbane apartment building, Soda.

Pictures attached to a Facebook post by the West End Community Association show several plastic-potted plants sitting along an awning, none of which appear to have grown in the 12 months the block has been completed.

For comparison, the association included a render of the building that was used in developer GDL Group’s application for the building – in the image, Soda was covered in significantly more foliage than the final product.

https://www.domain.com.au/news/lip-service-green-walls-in-brisbanes-west-end-labelled-a-failure-20170804-gxocy3/

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

:lol:

I hope those pot plants are an underhanded way of satisfying some kind of deal with the council.

Actually they've got the lines set up for the plants to run so maybe it will eventually look good. They built one of these in Seddon and it looked like poo poo for 12 months, but the plants did grow in eventually on the green walls and it became good.

JBP fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 4, 2017

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
So the worlds 5th tallest apartment building is on fire. Again. They were in the process of removing the flammable cladding which led to a major fire in 2015. This might put a rocket up the Victorian government (not really but you can hope) given the Lacrosse building burnt in 2014 and still has flammable cladding attached.

Also the building is named The Torch.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i know we're all meant to be transitioning to high-density housing for environmental reasons, but i have always been afraid of high-rises and events over the past few years are only making things worse now that i know capitalists will absolutely build them out of drywall and styrofoam to save a buck

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Anidav posted:

Is it weird that Trump looks more agreeable in that transcript as he said he is absolutely baffled by our boat obsession and "if they pose no threat then why don't you just release them"?

Turnbull looks like a complete dunce

It's the other way round.

Turnbull explained it all in a patient and logically consistent way, and Trump was too stupid to understand and acted like a loving toddler. I honestly feel bad for all the world leaders who have to deal with this idiot.

Turnbull did remarkably well here. Getting Trump to agree to something he doesn't want to is a huge feat, isn't it?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Hobo Erotica posted:

It's the other way round.

Turnbull explained it all in a patient and logically consistent way, and Trump was too stupid to understand and acted like a loving toddler. I honestly feel bad for all the world leaders who have to deal with this idiot.

Turnbull did remarkably well here. Getting Trump to agree to something he doesn't want to is a huge feat, isn't it?

He just hit a little snag

-

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has been caught out after a leaked transcript of his phone call with Donald Trump showed Australia's agreement to take refugees from Central America was part of a quid-pro-quo arrangement even though the government has long denied such a deal.

Greens immigration spokesman Nick McKim on Friday accused Mr Turnbull of lying about the nature of the agreement.

-

Two actually

Australia does control its offshore immigration detention centres

For four years of offshore detention, the Australian government has consistently maintained that violence, physical and sexual abuse on the islands were “matters for the governments of PNG and Nauru”. This has been rejected by human rights groups, the United Nations and other national governments, who argue Australia has financial and operational control of the centres, and a legal and moral responsibility for the people it has sent offshore.

In his phone call with Trump, Turnbull conceded Australia does have full control over the refugees.

They have been under our supervision for over three years now and we know exactly everything about them …

They have been on Nauru or Manus for over three years and the only reason we cannot let them into Australia is because of our commitment to not allow people to come by boat. Otherwise we would have let them in. If they had arrived by airplane and with a tourist visa then they would be here.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm reading the Turnbull/Trump chat from end to end and no one has posted this I think:

Turnbull: No, let me explain why. The problem with the boats it that you are basically outsourcing your immigration program to people smugglers and also you get thousands of people drowning at sea. So what we say is, we will decide which people get to come to Australia who are refugees, economic migrants, businessmen, whatever. We decide. That is our decision. We are a generous multicultural immigration nation like the United States but the government decides, the people’s representatives decides. So that is the point. I am a highly transactional businessman like you and I know the deal has to work for both sides. Now Obama thought this deal worked for him and he drove a hard bargain with us – that it was agreed with Obama more than a year ago in the Oval Office, long before the election. The principles of the deal were agreed to.

Trump: I do not know what he got out of it. We never get anything out of it – START Treaty, the Iran deal. I do not know where they find these people to make these stupid deals. I am going to get killed on this thing.

Turnbull: You will not.

Trump: Yes, I will be seen as a weak and ineffective leader in my first week by these people. This is a killer.

Turnbull: You can certainly say that it was not a deal that you would have done, but you are going to stick with it

It's really hard to read this without getting the tone of the comments, but this seems like a fairly strongly worded go gently caress yourself on Turnbull's part. It's also the point where Trump cracks the shits.

Trump: I have no choice to say that about it. Malcom [sic], I am going to say that I have no choice but to honor my predecessor’s deal. I think it is a horrible deal, a disgusting deal that I would have never made. It is an embarrassment to the United States of America and you can say it just the way I said it. I will say it just that way. As far as I am concerned that is enough Malcom [sic]. I have had it. I have been making these calls all day and this is the most unpleasant call all day. Putin was a pleasant call. This is ridiculous.

Turnbull: Do you want to talk about Syria and DPRK?

Trump: [inaudible] this is crazy.

Turnbull: Thank you for your commitment. It is very important to us.

Trump: It is important to you and it is embarrassing to me. It is an embarrassment to me, but at least I got you off the hook. So you put me back on the hook.

Turnbull: You can count on me. I will be there again and again.

Trump: I hope so. Okay, thank you Malcolm.

Turnbull: Okay, thank you.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Those transcripts are amazing. Every time you read a bit you find something new, like Trump claiming he won New Hampshire.

hooman posted:

It's not that Brandis is dumb it's that there's a yawning gulf between how smart he thinks he is and how smart he is.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Malcolm essentially says we will gladly trade you a Nobel laureate for an axe murderer because of optics

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
It's not in the photo, but constitutional right refers to the constitution of Victoria

quote:

She is yet to formally enter a plea but on Thursday her lawyer challenged Victoria's constitution, in regard to the safe zones, in Melbourne Magistrates Court.
Defence counsel Christopher Brohier​ said the laws were invalid because they affected a person's freedom of political communication, and discriminatory because they were targeted at pro-life protesters, and not pro-choice supporters.
The laws also affected indiscriminate parts of Victoria, Mr Brohier said, as they made it illegal to discuss abortions in a 150-metre radius outside all the 11 major providers of abortions in the state, any other service providers and the clinics of about 100 GPs who prescribe morning-after pills.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Can't recall pro-choice supporters blockading a church or anything, but ban them from that if it means people can get family planning without copping poo poo imo

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-04/greens-knew-about-rape-allegations-months-before-taking-action/8772250

quote:

The man at the centre of a rape shaming controversy was employed to work on Greens election campaigns despite many NSW party members being aware of allegations he was a potential risk to women.

A young Greens volunteer, who does not want to be named, said that because of the party's inaction on this issue, volunteers were forced to protect each other by spreading rumours about the man's behaviour.
"I was first told about this person very early on into being associated with the Young Greens," she says.
"I was approached privately by a friend, someone high up in the Young Greens who just wanted to warn me before I'd met this person that they were a known rapist, they were a known harasser of women, and if I come in contact with him just to be very cautious of that and to limit my contact with him as much as possible.
"I was told very explicitly that he had raped people. I was told that he had harassed and touched people that I'm friends with without their consent."
Another Greens member says she was also warned about the alleged rapist when she volunteered for a Greens federal election campaign.
"I was volunteering there and he was helping me with my computer, and then my friend said, 'He's not a nice guy' … later she told me, 'He's an awful person, he stalked me, and he violently raped someone," she said.
"I felt dirty. I felt like, why didn't I see it? Why didn't I immediately know?"
She says she then felt uncomfortable in her volunteering role, and also felt she couldn't approach the party to resolve the issue.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

"mother of 13"

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Lid posted:

He just hit a little snag

-

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has been caught out after a leaked transcript of his phone call with Donald Trump showed Australia's agreement to take refugees from Central America was part of a quid-pro-quo arrangement even though the government has long denied such a deal.

Greens immigration spokesman Nick McKim on Friday accused Mr Turnbull of lying about the nature of the agreement.

Wait what? Is this like one of those false childhood memory things because I was absolutely sure everybody, including the government, openly talked about the basis of the deal being human trafficking swapping refugees in offshore detention for Central American ones.

JBP posted:

We never get anything out of it - START Treaty,

Nuclear arms reduction, destroying American strength and jobs! :argh:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Wait what? Is this like one of those false childhood memory things because I was absolutely sure everybody, including the government, openly talked about the basis of the deal being human trafficking swapping refugees in offshore detention for Central American ones.

the official line has always been that the two are separate deals in spite of how obvious it is they are not

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Trump the master of the deal schooled Trumble like a dunce

:smugdon:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

No trust us the nsw greens are the best branch 100% all good promise

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
reading the transcript just illuminates (even more) how incredibly lovely humans they are

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Elected representatives are actually just loving pathetic

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Solemn Sloth posted:

Elected representatives are actually just loving pathetic

Stop voting and join my push for full communism now (PM me ur PSN to get started cheers)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Nah we need a new system

• Locked thread