Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I never notice until I think to myself "wow this is taking a lot longer than it should" or "wow the tank sure does seem to be dying constantly"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I can't help but stare at the party when I'm tanking. If for no other reason then there's not much else to watch in non-raid content.

Had a Vault run yesterday where I had to tell the 70 scholar to summon his fairy and stop spamming physick when I didn't need it.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So after literally weeks since the launch of SB, I have been keeping track on the amount of average viewers that have been tuning in to watch players on Twitch. When SB first launched, there was a average of over 7-8k viewers at any given time throughout the first 4 weeks. Now if you go to twitch during peak hours....less that 2k are there. That is literally a decrease of 75% Twitch viewers of FF14 in less than 5 weeks! Do you want to know why?

Since SE decided to basically recycle content for a 3rd time in it's MMOs history, players are starting to learn that for weeks after a patch drops or expansion drops that once they have achieved the required gear to enter Savage Raid or any new content....such content will practically become repetition for weeks of the same old boring 2 dungeons(in 4.1 we are getting only 1 new dungeon), the same boring 4 bosses over and over again in Savage, and the same old EX Primals to earn gear that will become irrelevant/obsolete in 3 months. This is what people consider fun?

If you do even a basic comparison of other MMOs on the market today, they all have built in mechanisms at the very start of a expansion to sustain its player base for a great period of time since its launch. When Blizzard launched Legion, players for weeks never once complained of having nothing to do.....but actually the polar opposite...people were actually complaining of having to much to do and THAT IS HOW MMOs ARE SUPPOSE TO BE DESIGNED! Even other MMOs that are not sub based have similar systems....look at Black Desert Online and the ever constant level grind to no end, or how about even a game like Diablo 3! Diablo 3 is incredibly repetitive...but they added in paragon levels to give players within such a game something to do even if it was throttled back! FF14 doesn't!

Now my biggest question is this....why couldn't SE have released our Relics in 4.0 or some other slow growth mechanic and created a huge grind fest like they have done before making us run content at our level or slightly below(I am not talking about the Idiocy that was the Atma grind making max level players do content like they just joined the game sometimes being 30 levels lower than what they were while only spamming only one button) to keep us having some form of growth of our characters even if it was really slow paced? Growth and progress is still growth and progress! That is what keeps players playing....not some artificial roadblock you place every week to force players to keep playing....but actual growth mechanics even if at a snails speed to keep people wanting to play by choice to continue such growth! I hope someone from SE passes on my opinion.....

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I do wonder why they delay relics until the .1 patch.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Verranicus posted:

So after literally weeks since the launch of SB, I have been keeping track on the amount of average viewers that have been tuning in to watch players on Twitch. When SB first launched, there was a average of over 7-8k viewers at any given time throughout the first 4 weeks. Now if you go to twitch during peak hours....less that 2k are there. That is literally a decrease of 75% Twitch viewers of FF14 in less than 5 weeks! Do you want to know why?

Since SE decided to basically recycle content for a 3rd time in it's MMOs history, players are starting to learn that for weeks after a patch drops or expansion drops that once they have achieved the required gear to enter Savage Raid or any new content....such content will practically become repetition for weeks of the same old boring 2 dungeons(in 4.1 we are getting only 1 new dungeon), the same boring 4 bosses over and over again in Savage, and the same old EX Primals to earn gear that will become irrelevant/obsolete in 3 months. This is what people consider fun?

If you do even a basic comparison of other MMOs on the market today, they all have built in mechanisms at the very start of a expansion to sustain its player base for a great period of time since its launch. When Blizzard launched Legion, players for weeks never once complained of having nothing to do.....but actually the polar opposite...people were actually complaining of having to much to do and THAT IS HOW MMOs ARE SUPPOSE TO BE DESIGNED! Even other MMOs that are not sub based have similar systems....look at Black Desert Online and the ever constant level grind to no end, or how about even a game like Diablo 3! Diablo 3 is incredibly repetitive...but they added in paragon levels to give players within such a game something to do even if it was throttled back! FF14 doesn't!

Now my biggest question is this....why couldn't SE have released our Relics in 4.0 or some other slow growth mechanic and created a huge grind fest like they have done before making us run content at our level or slightly below(I am not talking about the Idiocy that was the Atma grind making max level players do content like they just joined the game sometimes being 30 levels lower than what they were while only spamming only one button) to keep us having some form of growth of our characters even if it was really slow paced? Growth and progress is still growth and progress! That is what keeps players playing....not some artificial roadblock you place every week to force players to keep playing....but actual growth mechanics even if at a snails speed to keep people wanting to play by choice to continue such growth! I hope someone from SE passes on my opinion.....

I'm glad I don't have enough time to care this much about a game.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

They probably figure there's enough content in the base patch to keep people's attention initially. Relics are a method for getting people to sub long term, not to buy the expansion.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Made it to zoo in O3S tonight. Fight is super fun, and it sounds like there aren't many new mechanics left. If I grind away at it on Saturday I might even get a clear this week.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

cheetah7071 posted:

Made it to zoo in O3S tonight. Fight is super fun, and it sounds like there aren't many new mechanics left. If I grind away at it on Saturday I might even get a clear this week.

Our group picked up a new healer and made it past zoo tonight for the first time, even did mindjack tokens a couple of times. Way better than we were doing, so its been great, we're hoping to clear tomorrow, otherwise next week.

On a related note, Ranged LB3 does less damage than Caster LB3 yeah? I keep seeing everyone suggesting the Ranged one on the last adds for some reason (Im already LB3ing the Apanda if we have it, let me have 2 LB3s in one fight dang it).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

BrightWing posted:

Our group picked up a new healer and made it past zoo tonight for the first time, even did mindjack tokens a couple of times. Way better than we were doing, so its been great, we're hoping to clear tomorrow, otherwise next week.

On a related note, Ranged LB3 does less damage than Caster LB3 yeah? I keep seeing everyone suggesting the Ranged one on the last adds for some reason (Im already LB3ing the Apanda if we have it, let me have 2 LB3s in one fight dang it).

Is mindjack as hellish as it looks?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The key to mindjack is to not focus too much on waiting for the tether to go out and instead to remember what direction your mindjack is since you only have a couple seconds to react to tethers. Losing sight of that is the big killer.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

cheetah7071 posted:

Is mindjack as hellish as it looks?

I dont think so personally. If you don't get a tether, just adjust to run to any safe spot. If you do, check where you want to end up, move to where it is that will make forced march take you there. Big thing Ive heard is that you need to be in the veeeeeery edge of the corner it you are tethered cause the damage falloff is rather sensitive.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

BrightWing posted:

Big thing Ive heard is that you need to be in the veeeeeery edge of the corner it you are tethered cause the damage falloff is rather sensitive.

This is extremely important. When I BLM, being basically halfway between the edge of the orange aoe and the corner would straight up kill me from full (over 30k damage, something I needed Manaward to survive) while wedging myself as far into the corner as I could would make me take like 10k or something. That's like a quarter of one of the tiles' diagonals.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

SE (Yes, you know, I love you, I mean the whole team; SE's musicians, thanks, my name is ImmaCasual ListeningToMasterpieces),
I'm talking to you... (Being at work and in FFXIV's at the same time = ImHappy)...

If they, gear hunters, want to have more Allagan Whatyacallit ImCasualSoIDontCare...
SE, serioulsy, BRING hell to those HARDcore gamers: Time to bring Dungeons (Extreme) HateMeForSayingThis IDontCare.
"WORK"!!! for those Allagans, you IHaveNoLifeOutsideFFXIVMyNameIsTheRealMadruck.

I just blanked...
I feel you Hardcore Gamers aka WhyAmINotAMentor CuzIGrindALot.
I was HG in one of my lives... I do, understand the TheRealMadruck's pain.

I, now, have to apologize for being out to the line, for being rude.
I really have to stop calling people names, including myself.

I still have music to listen to, may I say masterpieces?
Have a nice time! I love you as much as SE, you FFXIVCommunityILoveYouAll. (Stop it already...)

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

code:
[1:10 a.m.](Spiced Rum) he's invincible there
[1:10 a.m.](Fortune's Favor) like I give a poo poo
[1:10 a.m.](Fortune's Favor) he'll take my stones and like it
Found the best pub first time healer for Amdapor hard

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

vOv posted:

SE (Yes, you know, I love you, I mean the whole team; SE's musicians, thanks, my name is ImmaCasual ListeningToMasterpieces),
I'm talking to you... (Being at work and in FFXIV's at the same time = ImHappy)...

If they, gear hunters, want to have more Allagan Whatyacallit ImCasualSoIDontCare...
SE, serioulsy, BRING hell to those HARDcore gamers: Time to bring Dungeons (Extreme) HateMeForSayingThis IDontCare.
"WORK"!!! for those Allagans, you IHaveNoLifeOutsideFFXIVMyNameIsTheRealMadruck.

I just blanked...

Have a nice time! I love you as much as SE, you FFXIVCommunityILoveYouAll. (Stop it already...)

what?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

BrightWing posted:

Yes, Ranged is less damage than Caster LB3. The only advantage is that it has a 'longer' AoE, but the optimal strategy is to have a caster do it.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

There's at least 1 specific instance I can think of where Ranged LB is better, and that's A1. Once the copy of the boss shows up and they have to be tanked apart they are too far away for a caster LB to catch them both. You can be an idiot and go stand directly in front of one of them and Ranged LB to catch both. It's pretty satisfying.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

vOv posted:

I just blanked...

source this quote please

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Countblanc posted:

the worst feeling is when someone else gets the stack marker and no one is stacking with them so you have to make the split-second call whether to stack with them and at best leave you both with 10% life (but probably both dead) or just letting them die

I hate that moment. Do I stack as proof that I know mechanics and everyone else is dumb and die to prove that point? Do I just sit there and also let that person down? And if they're a healer, do I just accept the wipe that's likely to come? It's kind of a fun few seconds.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

BrightWing posted:

I dont think so personally. If you don't get a tether, just adjust to run to any safe spot. If you do, check where you want to end up, move to where it is that will make forced march take you there. Big thing Ive heard is that you need to be in the veeeeeery edge of the corner it you are tethered cause the damage falloff is rather sensitive.

Oh, I didn't know it was the tether itself that did damage. We've only hit that phase a few times so I hadn't yet grokked what all does what yet in last phase. Once or twice I died with tether where I was pretty sure I wasn't standing in aoes and I just assumed I was too slow to get far away.

I made a lovely MSpaint if I understand correctly:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
LeftCoastLoot killed another thing! We're pretty happy with how we've been going for a fairly relaxed group. Took us about 1.5 hrs of pulls to get o1s and 4.5 or so to get o2s.

https://twitter.com/kalennistarion/status/893331600481505280

Now for o3s

holy poo poo :allbuttons:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

SKULL.GIF posted:

Be careful with using Mage's Ballad with certain mechanics like O1S Charybdis.

Can someone explain this to me? Isn't Mage's Ballad the one that increases the party's crit chance?

E: VVV incredible :getin:

Waldorf Sixpence fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Aug 4, 2017

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Can someone explain this to me? Isn't Mage's Ballad the one that increases the party's crit chance?

If you use Troubadour while under Mage's Ballad it increases the party's max HP. If you're really unlucky Charybdis can 'lock in' its damage calculation before Troubadour's HP increase falls off but deal its damage after the buff goes away, so you take more damage than you have HP and die.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

I'm having too much fun.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Aug 4, 2017

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I have just started playing this again, after playing for a short while a couple years ago on PC. Anyone have a recommendation for a keyboard to use with a PS4? I really like the controller for combat, but typing anything into chat with the controller kinda sucks.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Orvin posted:

I have just started playing this again, after playing for a short while a couple years ago on PC. Anyone have a recommendation for a keyboard to use with a PS4? I really like the controller for combat, but typing anything into chat with the controller kinda sucks.

You can use any USB keyboard you've got knocking around so use whatever you fancy!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Orvin posted:

If you just need something simple and wireless, I can recommend the Logitech K400.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Orvin posted:

Literally just stick any usb keyboard into it and it should work. I had a 10yo dell keyboard that worked perfectly for chatting. The only keybaord that didnt work for me was a lovely 3rd party one I ordered from japan.

Bluetooth keyboards also work if those are your jam.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I use a simple USB keyboard I bought about 2 years ago after my previous Logitech keyboard started having issues. I got it for around $6 on clearance at Target and it has worked very well for me. It's very basic with no bells or whistles, just your standard USB keyboard.

That said, I'm on vacation right now and while I'm away I found a bluetooth wireless keyboard for $5. It's nice, smaller, and very lightweight. I'm going to give it a try once I get back, if it's possible. I'm terrible at working with technology, but for $5 I'm willing to give it a shot. If I can't get it to work, no big loss.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

If you just need something simple and wireless, I can recommend the Logitech K400.

Thanks for this.

I should have specified Bluetooth, as my PS4 is on the other side of the room, and I would like to avoid a cord laying across the room. Not to mention that I would likely need an extension as I don't think too many keyboards come with a 15 foot cable.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

All of the songs passively raise the party's crit chance. Troubadour's buff is always defensive, either max HP (which vOv explained), or decreased physical or magical damage.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The K400 line is a good keyboard, the battery life lasts forever it seems like.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It's true.

https://twitter.com/Mcstronghuge/status/893364635071545344

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/2017/Moonfire_Faire/

butts

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Puttin the moon back in Moonfire.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

praise tanaka

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

code:
[1:10 a.m.](Spiced Rum) he's invincible there
[1:10 a.m.](Fortune's Favor) like I give a poo poo
[1:10 a.m.](Fortune's Favor) he'll take my stones and like it
Found the best pub first time healer for Amdapor hard

please tell me you commended this scion

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

hobbesmaster posted:

They say it's because they want people to take the time to enjoy all the content they add, not just zerg rush the endgame numbers stuff, whether that's true or works at all is up for debate.

Personally I'm fine with it, at the rate I play I should have a tank, healer and dps up to 70 by the time 4.1 hits and it's nice feeling like I have more time to level and try other classes instead of dedicating all of my play time trying to keep PLD geared up.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Final Fantasy XV has a butt slider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Expert Roulette, Temple of the Fist. Tank who was otherwise doing fine pulls the last two groups of trash before the final boss at the same time, promptly eats poo poo (naturally) and we wipe. I say "A little overambitious" and I get kicked. Am I the rear end in a top hat?