Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Doesn't luci heal brain damage? And, you know, the tradeoff is that they're addicted to it forever.

Maybe. I mostly use it to murder prisoners.

Chop off a leg and feed them Luci and they die in bed with minimum guilt.

Though I'm still worried that one day. One of them will hop out of bed and wreck the place like a drugged out pogo stick of death.

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Aug 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

That kinda sounds OP as gently caress. Way to negate the entire Devil's bargain point of luci.

Yea. First time I played the mod I had to infect one of my old people, then went to an abandoned lab. I only got a few tabs. That felt much better. I was totally surprised to have a poo poo ton of it spawn in a later game.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Dejawesp posted:

I feel the same when a colonist gets permanent brain damage and someone suggests a surgery mod that lets you install new brains :v:

EPOE in a vacuum is actually pretty well balanced; it lets you bionic a lot of otherwise unfixable problems away, but the costs are borderline debilitating. For the cost of turning a dude into a bionic super soldier you could kit out half a dozen guys in full power armor and charge rifles and probably have change left over.

Dejawesp posted:

Maybe. I mostly use it to murder prisoners.

Chop off a leg and feed them Luci and they die in bed with minimum guilt.

Though I'm still worried that one day. One of them will hop out of bed and wreck the place like a drugged out pogo stick of death.

:stare: Man, luci is super valuable! If you're gonna murder your prisoners with chemicals, use booze and cheap drugs(which will debilitate them horribly in the bargain); if you don't want to use luci just sell it for ridiculous bank.

Luci can heal any injury short of death including otherwise unhealable problems like brain damage/bad back/frail/etc, but it can take a while since it happens randomly over time.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Kanos posted:

Luci can heal any injury short of death including otherwise unhealable problems like brain damage/bad back/frail/etc, but it can take a while since it happens randomly over time.
It does not affect age-related problems at present, but the dev is considering it

https://twitter.com/TynanSylvester/status/789208972460957696

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Bhodi posted:

It does not affect age-related problems at present, but the dev is considering it

https://twitter.com/TynanSylvester/status/789208972460957696

Huh, I could have sworn I've had luci cure a bad back once. I might be insane.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Kanos posted:

:stare: Man, luci is super valuable! If you're gonna murder your prisoners with chemicals, use booze and cheap drugs(which will debilitate them horribly in the bargain); if you don't want to use luci just sell it for ridiculous bank.

deja is long term committed to hellish experiences

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It's really funny. On one side we have the guy who gets upset when his colonists insult each other ever, and on the other we have Deja who force feeds his prisoners a diet of human ears.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Kanos posted:

EPOE in a vacuum is actually pretty well balanced; it lets you bionic a lot of otherwise unfixable problems away, but the costs are borderline debilitating. For the cost of turning a dude into a bionic super soldier you could kit out half a dozen guys in full power armor and charge rifles and probably have change left over.

OD someone on beer and pot? I am intrigued. Does this work?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I wish there was a way to switch Nyarly's Starry Wisdom spell, I still want all my colonists to be friends and have emotions, I just want them to be eating Raider steaks while they do it :(

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Mzbundifund posted:

It's really funny. On one side we have the guy who gets upset when his colonists insult each other ever, and on the other we have Deja who force feeds his prisoners a diet of human ears.

Danaru posted:

I wish there was a way to switch Nyarly's Starry Wisdom spell, I still want all my colonists to be friends and have emotions, I just want them to be eating Raider steaks while they do it :(

Aaaand then we have guys like this who are both?

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Mzbundifund posted:

Aw shucks :3:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Dejawesp posted:

Aw shucks :3:

Seriously man, you have, well, I want to call it a 'gift' but that seems wrong, either way I don't know but what you do? it's loving impressive.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Slung Blade posted:

Seriously man, you have, well, I want to call it a 'gift' but that seems wrong, either way I don't know but what you do? it's loving impressive.

It's a gift, just... turned to horrendous ends. I am similarly impressed, whenever I try to be a twat in RimWorld I turn around and find all my guys living high on the hog.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Patches have ruined my past maps but I have a huge project I want to get working on. But it all depends on how stable raiding is.

I want to have a base of around 100 people but also be able to raid without crashes.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I've never had a crash while raiding in alpha 17, but I also never had one before, nor do I run 100 colonist megamaps. Could just be a memory issue?

This mod purports to clean up a lot of unnecessary leftover stuff that piles up in old massive save files, it could be the ticket.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

At that many colonists, how are you even feeding them and getting resources? Through mods? OR do you have to raid constantly just for poo poo like steel?

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Eltoasto posted:

At that many colonists, how are you even feeding them and getting resources? Through mods? OR do you have to raid constantly just for poo poo like steel?

Food by growing corn and metal through deep drilling and buying from other factions. I did have severe memory issues later on and so I pruned the base down to 50 people and I guess I can live with that. Here are some old screenshots.

Over all happiness was always at rock bottom but frequent beatings usually fixed that. Repeat offenders got harvested and then they went into the furnace.

The row of beds at the back around the furnace is the prison. Red light means prisoners are being harvested and then executed. Green light means they're being recruited.

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 4, 2017

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Dejawesp posted:

Food by growing corn and metal through deep drilling and buying from other factions. I did have severe memory issues later on and so I pruned the base down to 50 people and I guess I can live with that. Here are some old screenshots.

Over all happiness was always at rock bottom but frequent beatings usually fixed that. Repeat offenders got harvested and then they went into the furnace.

The row of beds at the back around the furnace is the prison. Red light means prisoners are being harvested and then executed. Green light means they're being recruited.

I deeply appreciate your pictures of industrialized organ harvesting. And of offhandedly killing anyone who happened to be unhappy with industrialized organ harvesting, for their organs.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Hey, it's only a problem that he's insulting everyone rather than doing any work. Mental break "be a dick" means wandering around aimlessly until he decides to jog across half the colony to find someone to poo poo on, and then wander off aimlessly afterwards.

Brutally efficient colony though. I can appreciate that. I can't emulate it, but I can admire the work.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Dejawesp posted:

OD someone on beer and pot? I am intrigued. Does this work?

People will drink themselves into liver cirrhosis or smoke themselves into carcinoma without a second thought in this game. All they need is access.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
For awhile the easiest way to kill a thrumbo was drop a bunch of beer next to them, build walls then come back to pick the fur and horn out of a pile of death and vomit.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I think you can have your doctor apply that stuff to people directly like you can with luciferum. You definitely can with cocaine

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

bird food bathtub posted:

For awhile the easiest way to kill a thrumbo was drop a bunch of beer next to them, build walls then come back to pick the fur and horn out of a pile of death and vomit.

Emergent Gameplay™

It seems like regardless it would take a long time and a ton of beer/weed to kill someone. Wasting luciferium also seems silly though, why not just pull out their critical organs or euthanize them?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Gadzuko posted:

Emergent Gameplay™

It seems like regardless it would take a long time and a ton of beer/weed to kill someone.

It was surprisingly little. Like one stack and two or three game days I think? Can't remember if it was starvation or cirrhosis that killed them or what. Just remember doing it a few times before they were programmed to attack walls when penned in.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
So I have EPOE installed, along with a couple other mods and CTHULHU stuff. Am I right in assuming that increasing a colonists manipulation with augments like advanced bionic hands, an advanced bionic spine, and an exoskeleton will increase my crafting/tailoring/smithing speed? If so, is it a decent amount or just a little bit extra?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

GodspeedSphere posted:

So I have EPOE installed, along with a couple other mods and CTHULHU stuff. Am I right in assuming that increasing a colonists manipulation with augments like advanced bionic hands, an advanced bionic spine, and an exoskeleton will increase my crafting/tailoring/smithing speed? If so, is it a decent amount or just a little bit extra?

It's pretty good. Crafting speed is affected by consciousness, manipulation, and sight. Benefits from sight are capped at 100%, so bionic eyes are just useful to get a colonist to 100%. Manipulation isn't capped, but only matters 90%.

So I think that if you get manipulation to 140%, then it'll increase crafting speed by ~26%.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Don't underestimate how much benefit you get from a pair of cyber legs. Unless it's your researcher who stands in a corner all day like the forgotten, antisocial nerd they are your pawns do a lot of walking. 140% movement speed is pretty baller.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Is enhanced hearing useful for anything at all? I have been assuming not but I still give my dudes robot ears because it's the future, dammit!

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

HelloSailorSign posted:

It's pretty good. Crafting speed is affected by consciousness, manipulation, and sight. Benefits from sight are capped at 100%, so bionic eyes are just useful to get a colonist to 100%. Manipulation isn't capped, but only matters 90%.

So I think that if you get manipulation to 140%, then it'll increase crafting speed by ~26%.

Holy Hell you weren't kidding. Just adding advanced bio hands speed my guy up to 150%.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I try to do my doctors with bionic legs first.

self explanatory, really.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Cyberlegs is excellent. All cybernetics is great, but cyberlegs are the best for everyone except a researcher and maybe an artist.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

bird food bathtub posted:

Don't underestimate how much benefit you get from a pair of cyber legs. Unless it's your researcher who stands in a corner all day like the forgotten, antisocial nerd they are your pawns do a lot of walking. 140% movement speed is pretty baller.

god I wish that were me

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My best doctor gets cyberarms first, then the rest of the surgeries can go ahead.

I know surgery failures are less awful now but still, no chances :colbert:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Bionic, or the even better advanced bionic legs make your dudes move so fast the game engine has a hard time keeping up sometimes.

They're perfect for downed colonist rescue tasks, coming to the aid of a hunter that just enraged a herd of elk or Caribou, or just grabbing something important that fell out of a pod on the other side of the map before it rots.

They are crazy useful.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Kanos posted:

People will drink themselves into liver cirrhosis or smoke themselves into carcinoma without a second thought in this game. All they need is access.

That sounds like a dangerously humane and dignified end to me. I'm skeptical now.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
in a normal world I'd say liver failure is a terrible way to go, but you've sorta industrialized the act of suffering

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
"Huh, haven't played Rimworld in a while. Wonder how the thread is-"

:stonk:

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Danaru posted:

in a normal world I'd say liver failure is a terrible way to go, but you've sorta industrialized the act of suffering

Yes but if they die while being too drunk and stoned to even notice it then the vitae harvest will be useless.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Dejawesp posted:

Yes but if they die while being too drunk and stoned to even notice it then the vitae harvest will be useless.

Did you ever try the cult mod? Seems like a base full of cannibal psychopaths sacrificing to their dark gods would be right up your alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Gadzuko posted:

Did you ever try the cult mod? Seems like a base full of cannibal psychopaths sacrificing to their dark gods would be right up your alley.

I did but I couldn't get it to work properly.

Also the original game is struggling and fighting me every step of the way with my method of governance which adds a bit to the fun. It just wouldn't be the same if that was how things were meant to be done.

If I was to give advice to new Rimworld players...

For warfare I found it better to use mid skilled conscripts in average quality gear.

Regular clothes
armored vest
armored helmet
assault rifle

As opposed to a smaller amount of elite power armor soldiers with expensive gear. double lines of rifle wielding conscripts will mow down natives with ease where elite soldiers can risk getting into close combat and lose a limb to a lucky swing of a club.

Brawler/melee skilled doctors.

Doctors are the colonists most likely to get assaulted in close quarters and being able to beat a patient unconscious quickly can save your valuable doctors and preserve useful patients.

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Aug 5, 2017