Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Paperhouse posted:

I'm about to start Persona 5, is there anything I should know beforehand? I've played P3 and P4 so I know what I'm doing, I mean more like stuff that isn't immediately obvious that I should do/not do

The stat requirements for s links kick in HARD don't neglect stats. At one point I literally could not advance all of my links and had to sit and grind stats

Look up ahead of time what some of those are because you'll never max out some of the links without knowing. I'm talking like party members joining and needing maxed stats

Fortune rank 7 I think lets you get a point of affection without spending time with someone which saves a lot of time by the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

NikkolasKing posted:

Is Innocent Sin the easiest Atlus game?

Atlus made a game called My Disney Kitchen, so I'm gonna guess... no?

Like, even for SMT, it's not even close to the easiest (whatever that might be; Puzzle de Call! maybe?) never mind everything Atlus have ever developed.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

So I was going over why I didn't enjoy Innocent Sin with some people elsewhere and a fact was brought up that didn't even occur to me in spite of its obviousness.

It's really damned easy. Game difficulty is one of those things that varies a lot from person-to-person but the fact is, I was so bored by the combat in the game that I just didn't engage with any of it and blundered my way through most of the game unchallenged. This is in sharp contrast to Strange Journey, P3 and 4, Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga 1.

I found Persona 2 Eternal Punishment to be pretty challenging in the boss fights but it was my second ever SMT game (the first being Persona 1) so I didn't really know what I was doing possibly.
Don't remember much about Innocent Sin being difficult.
In general it's been said a hundred times that Persona 1 and 2 have great story and atmosphere but haven't aged very well at all in the gameplay department.
I was engaged by Persona 2 back in the day but I tried playing it again in the ramp-up to Persona 5's western release and I couldn't get very far in it at all due to the combination of the super-high encounter rate and the repetitiveness of the combat and demon negotiation.

Once you get past the beginning parts, my recollection is that the original SNES SMT games are honestly quite easy since just about every boss can be defeated easily just by spamming Tarukaja a lot and racking up damage pretty quickly. The one exception being the obligatory physical-reflecting boss which pops up at least once in every SMT series game.

You could argue that Devil Children and its ilk aren't really technically Atlus games since they were developed by a third party.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

So I was going over why I didn't enjoy Innocent Sin with some people elsewhere and a fact was brought up that didn't even occur to me in spite of its obviousness.

It's really damned easy. Game difficulty is one of those things that varies a lot from person-to-person but the fact is, I was so bored by the combat in the game that I just didn't engage with any of it and blundered my way through most of the game unchallenged. This is in sharp contrast to Strange Journey, P3 and 4, Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga 1.

It's probably the easiest of the games released in English. If it's any consolation EP is significantly harder, you do need to engage in all the systems in it right from the start instead of just relying on the Personas Philemon gives you. Although It's still easier than say SJ or Nocturne.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

It's probably the easiest of the games released in English. [...] Although It's still easier than say SJ or Nocturne.

Disagree on both fronts. SJ is probably the second easiest game released in English, even discounting how absurd reflect is; the only game easier is IV.

e; Wait, poo poo, Persona Q exists. Right. Uhh... that's. Hmm. Okay, yeah, Persona Q is the easiest released in English by a loving mile. At least in IV, you have like two fights that might game over people.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Aug 4, 2017

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
IV is possibly among the hardest games in the series in the beginning sections, the difficulty just completely flatlines once you leave Naraku.
Don't really remember how easy PQ is if you don't use the broken characters/skills that people always point out.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Item Getter posted:

IV is possibly among the hardest games in the series in the beginning sections, the difficulty just completely flatlines once you leave Naraku.
Don't really remember how easy PQ is if you don't use the broken characters/skills that people always point out.

IV's difficult fights are technically Minotaur (which is based entirely on a coinflip to determine how tedious the fight gets) and David iff you do that fight the instant it becomes available and have no Elec stuff.

Persona Q without Impure Reach is just as easy as with it. Not using it just makes fights take longer.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If you remember, Shin Megami Tensei IV is the Dark Souls of Persona. It's GOTTA be hard!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

Disagree on both fronts. SJ is probably the second easiest game released in English, even discounting how absurd reflect is; the only game easier is IV.

e; Wait, poo poo, Persona Q exists. Right. Uhh... that's. Hmm. Okay, yeah, Persona Q is the easiest released in English by a loving mile. At least in IV, you have like two fights that might game over people.

If you only count in battle as difficulty I'm inclined to agree but SJ has much more complicated and multilayered dungeons and seeing as you spend roughly half the game running around them I'd say it factors into the difficulty. Also we both missed soul hackers which is the real easier game in English being a complete cakewalk on all fronts.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

If you remember, Shin Megami Tensei IV is the Dark Souls of Persona. It's GOTTA be hard!

Does someone still have that picture with all the terrible article quotes?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

what the gently caress, a dancing subseries??

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Is pretty cool how the audience lost their poo poo when Minato/Makoto speaks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLZGS0OdUlU

And how they go dead silent during Junpei and Yukari's section :v:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

you can hear a little bit of screaming at Yukari's part that quickly dropped. Poor Junpei though.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Will atlus ever escape p3 or is it safe to say that it's truly the ff7 of the new millenium?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

more like stupei!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

darealkooky posted:

Will atlus ever escape p3 or is it safe to say that it's truly the ff7 of the new millenium?

that's p4

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

HGH posted:

Does someone still have that picture with all the terrible article quotes?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Was I mistaken in thinking that Persona 4 was the easiest game in the SMT franchise?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

Was I mistaken in thinking that Persona 4 was the easiest game in the SMT franchise?

Persona 4 is super easy (especially Golden) but there are easier. P3P is easier even I'd say because it wasn't designed around having manual control and once you have that and skill cards the game might as well give up.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Mraagvpeine posted:

I definitely thought this of P4G which made the occasional "Oh god Shadow Teddie/Mitsuo :gonk:" posts feel very strange.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mraagvpeine posted:

P4G is stupidly easy. SMTIV, as long as you keep your wits about you, is also easy once you leave Naraku behind. Apocalypse has a more balanced difficulty, though I think I only had a slightly difficult time during the most :black101: route.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
P4G has a game mode where if you die you get ressurected no penalty, it's hard to be easier then that I feel

even SMT4 takes a bit of your money at least

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Nate RFB posted:

I definitely thought this of P4G which made the occasional "Oh god Shadow Teddie/Mitsuo :gonk:" posts feel very strange.

This happene with Shadow Mitsuo in my Golden run, but that because I was going through the dungeons so fast I didn't notice that I was ten level below the average, so the bosses were getting really hard all of sudden. I didn't even think to notice this was happening until I was looking up what level Naoto joins and saw she was level 55 and I was level 42 in her dungeon.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

that's p4

p4 is essentially just p3 but with a new coat of paint and some new features, several of its spinoffs are ALSO p3 spinoffs, and p3 itself continued to get its distinct solo spinoffs/expanded universe or other rehashing post p4 (even if most of it never left japan, like this)

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

thinking about it comparing it to ff7 is maybe unfair, maybe it's more like sakura wars

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

P4G has a game mode where if you die you get ressurected no penalty, it's hard to be easier then that I feel

Another Bible lets you buy stat boosters in almost every town, and then using them gives you a permanent increase to that stat AND gives you EXP as well. :v:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

I just beat Shadow Teddie yesterday and he was extremely easy, I don't think any of my characters ever went below 75% HP

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I feel like P4G is even easier for me after playing P5 since I understand all the systems and how they interact. P5 wasn't super hard beyond the first dungeon either

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

even SMT4 takes a bit of your money at least

Convenient and easy aren't necessarily the same thing

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015
I would probably say P5 is probably even easier then Vanilla P4, honestly.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Rirse posted:

This happene with Shadow Mitsuo in my Golden run, but that because I was going through the dungeons so fast I didn't notice that I was ten level below the average, so the bosses were getting really hard all of sudden. I didn't even think to notice this was happening until I was looking up what level Naoto joins and saw she was level 55 and I was level 42 in her dungeon.

That happened to me too, I hadn't realised I'd been cruising through the game really underleveled until Shadow Mitsuo kicked my face in. Had to grind golden hands for an hour or two to catch up :v:

I just started P5 and it seems harder than P4G, but granted I'm only 8 hours in. Was exploring the first dungeon last night, got to the tower and rounded a corner only for a normal-looking enemy to turn out to be some level 18 monstrosity that attacked twice in a row and murdered everyone. Lost an hour of progress to that prick because I hadn't found the next safe room yet :argh:

I can't be too mad though because this is dungeon way better than anything in P3 or 4. I hope the rest of the game keeps up this standard.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

i fuckin love pops!!!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

thorsilver posted:

That happened to me too, I hadn't realised I'd been cruising through the game really underleveled until Shadow Mitsuo kicked my face in. Had to grind golden hands for an hour or two to catch up :v:

I just started P5 and it seems harder than P4G, but granted I'm only 8 hours in. Was exploring the first dungeon last night, got to the tower and rounded a corner only for a normal-looking enemy to turn out to be some level 18 monstrosity that attacked twice in a row and murdered everyone. Lost an hour of progress to that prick because I hadn't found the next safe room yet :argh:

I can't be too mad though because this is dungeon way better than anything in P3 or 4. I hope the rest of the game keeps up this standard.

First dungeon is definitely the hardest in P5, not all of the dungeons are up to the level of the first but most of them have some cool gimmicks and just having designed dungeons instead of randomly-generated floors is a huge improvement (though P5 does have a randomly-generated dungeon as well)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

SMTIV has a loving great soundtrack dammit!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
P4's difficulty peaks at Shadow Yukiko and downslides to the point that one of the Heaven sub-bosses requires you to be an actual idiot to die to

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
I just got P5 spoiled by some oval office on reddit that didn't use spoiler tags :(

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l

Sand Dan posted:

Question regarding what imports from SMT4 to SMT4A. I am currently going to get the Law Ending on Save 1. I got the Nihilist Ending on Save 2. New Game+ was not involved. I imported Save 2 into SMT4A. If I import Save 1 after beating the game into SMT4A does that overwrite the import data of Save 2 or do I get the rewards from both Save 1 and Save 2? It's really minor and I'm not going to worry about it one way or another, I'm just curious as to what is going to happen.

For posterity, in case anybody is interested: I beat the Law route, and I imported both Save 1 and Save 2. I got both the Nihilist title and the Law title, but I THINK it only counted as having beaten the game once, since I did not New Game +

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Beelerzebub posted:

I just got P5 spoiled by some oval office on reddit that didn't use spoiler tags :(

We all were and it's OK. It'll be 1 year since it came out in Japan too.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Pablo Gigante posted:

First dungeon is definitely the hardest in P5, not all of the dungeons are up to the level of the first but most of them have some cool gimmicks and just having designed dungeons instead of randomly-generated floors is a huge improvement (though P5 does have a randomly-generated dungeon as well)

Really? The first dungeon is the hardest? I just beat the second dungeon. I was coming to this thread to ask about hard mode. I felt the first two dungeons were kind of mindless compared to how I remembered Persona 4 being. I don't remember anything being tough about the first dungeon. It felt like a big tutorial dungeon. Like they were taking it really easy in case there were new players to the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

First dungeon is only hard if you're trying to do it all in 1 day. It's easy as hell otherwise