Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
:black101: status: level 81. Think I might try rugwizard again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Just finished Monk-Black-Beast-White after an embarrassingly difficult NED fight--I barely escaped after a Grand Cross killed one, stoned two, and silenced my White Mage. Blink and Shell sure are great.

Now I'm going to do my yearly natural run (SHUT UP THAT'S WHY) and I'm going pure chaos and I get...

Freelancer (hmm. well at least he'll be wearing nice clothes?)
Ninja (neat!)
Chemist (oh snap)
Black Mage (well okay then)

Sometimes Natural will make you crazy and sometimes you'll get a really good party... or a Chemist.

OzFactor fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 3, 2017

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

:black101: status: level 81. Think I might try rugwizard again.

Good luck, friend :patriot:

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.

Geo/Zer/Ker/Blue

Geo actually was my most reliable damage during Exdeath since for a good chunk of the fight my blue was berserked.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Finally getting to the end of my Ninja/Ranger/Geo/Mystic run. First I'm farming up Dragon Lances to !Throw at Shinryu, then I'm going for Omega. I wonder if I'm better off giving someone a Wall Ring and praying that his first Search goes for that character or just blitzing him with Rapid Fires right off?

EDIT: Dragon Lance plan is proving to be not worth it. I grabbed one after a lot of fights, went to test it out, and it barely did more than a Fuma Shuriken (roughly 3100 to 2700). Guess !Throw doesn't include type multipliers. Drat. Anyway he's doing a good job of beating the tar out of my team (largely due to lack of Hermes Sandals and reliable MT healing, and it doesn't help that 3/4 of my team is level 32 so they're getting screwed by L2 Old every time he goes with that) so I may need to farm out some levels just to have a chance.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Aug 4, 2017

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Bufuman posted:

Finally getting to the end of my Ninja/Ranger/Geo/Mystic run. First I'm farming up Dragon Lances to !Throw at Shinryu, then I'm going for Omega. I wonder if I'm better off giving someone a Wall Ring and praying that his first Search goes for that character or just blitzing him with Rapid Fires right off?

EDIT: Dragon Lance plan is proving to be not worth it. I grabbed one after a lot of fights, went to test it out, and it barely did more than a Fuma Shuriken (roughly 3100 to 2700). Guess !Throw doesn't include type multipliers. Drat. Anyway he's doing a good job of beating the tar out of my team (largely due to lack of Hermes Sandals and reliable MT healing, and it doesn't help that 3/4 of my team is level 32 so they're getting screwed by L2 Old every time he goes with that) so I may need to farm out some levels just to have a chance.

For omega, what I would do is have your mystic knight with rapid fire blitz him while everyone else keeps the mystic alive. You should not need more than 3 rapidfires. everyone else should not rapid fire, because you don't want that many counters

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Mega64 posted:

I think the solo White Mage strat for Byblos is to run him out of MP while chugging Elixirs so...

Healing Staff. Let all but one die, whack yourself until he runs out of MP.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Exercu posted:

For omega, what I would do is have your mystic knight with rapid fire blitz him while everyone else keeps the mystic alive. You should not need more than 3 rapidfires. everyone else should not rapid fire, because you don't want that many counters

Decided to go with this first, given that it's worked well enough for me in the past.

Got a little dicey this time though! But I got him, and that's all I need. Now, let's see if a few more levels can help me against Shinryu.

EDIT: Another hard-earned win!

This one took some serious luck. After blinding him with Rapid-Fire Dark Bow action and setting up Flare Sword on MK, I basically had to pray that most of his Roulettes hit himself, Evil Eye ideally targeted my MK and her Aegis Shield, Mighty Guard didn't show up early, and Snowstorm didn't show up at all. Took a few tries until all the stars aligned.

On the plus side, I'm actually looking forward to chumping NED now.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 4, 2017

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Triple Crown #3: Team Chaos (Ninja / Ranger / Geomancer / Mystic Knight)

I am really burning out on this poo poo, only finished my third run after about a month of procrastination despite having some beastly team synergy. I really need to try for a few more. Right now I'm trying to decide on going for a Random run or trying Popular again. Maybe give Upgrade a try, I never did go for that last year.

EDIT: Decided to go as wacky as possible, so it's time for Upgrade Pure Chaos! First job is Thief!

...I think I'm in for some early grinding.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 4, 2017

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Decision time! I'm level 19, everyone just under 200 ABP away from mastering Thief, and up next is the Library of Ancients. Do I:
A: Try and do the Library at my current level and pray for a minimum of fuckery from that rear end in a top hat Byblos
B: Grind up everyone to master Thief and hope I get a better job from my Water #Upgrade (and if this, where to grind for ABP? The Walse Tower and Karnak escape encounters were giving out decent amounts but obviously both of those are out now)

As an aside, the reason I want to master Thief is because I'm on Pure Chaos and thus might get Freelancer or Mime, otherwise I would've Upgraded the instant I got !Mug on everyone.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bufuman posted:

Decision time! I'm level 19, everyone just under 200 ABP away from mastering Thief, and up next is the Library of Ancients. Do I:
A: Try and do the Library at my current level and pray for a minimum of fuckery from that rear end in a top hat Byblos
B: Grind up everyone to master Thief and hope I get a better job from my Water #Upgrade (and if this, where to grind for ABP? The Walse Tower and Karnak escape encounters were giving out decent amounts but obviously both of those are out now)

As an aside, the reason I want to master Thief is because I'm on Pure Chaos and thus might get Freelancer or Mime, otherwise I would've Upgraded the instant I got !Mug on everyone.

ABP comes naturally when farming for elixirs in the ship graveyard. On the downside, this might put you at Lv20 due to the relatively low EXP amounts. (On the theoretical upside, this is good if you roll Blue Mage next.)

Thief is not a great job for Library, but upgrading risks handing you Bard or Berserker, the two jobs who have it worse. So... hard to say.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

KataraniSword posted:

Thief is not a great job for Library, but upgrading risks handing you Bard or Berserker, the two jobs who have it worse. So... hard to say.

Both true, but Bard only takes 175 ABP to master and Berserker has nothing I want (I COULD master it to pass on their massive physical stats to the hypothetical Freelancer, but grinding up 500 ABP to do it? Screw that!), so if I do get one of them for Water, I could try and count on the Fire job instead.

EDIT: Decided to go with the "Master Thief then Upgrade" route. Water job is Ranger, which is a repeat job and not a LOT better than Thief (sure, I've got !Animals for Nightingale, but it's still too random to be entirely reliable), but Rapid-Fire will still be a decent prize (unless my Earth job is a mage job or something).

And by sheer happy coincidence (which is a nice change of pace, my luck is usually pretty terrible), I defeated LiquidFlame in tornado form so I have the Flame Bow it drops, which will help somewhat against that jerk Byblos.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 5, 2017

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Samuel Clemens posted:

Really, the most important tip for this team (and any Fiesta team) is to buy four Hermes Sandals in Phantom Village.

:eng101: three sandals, the fourth is free in the Void Castle.

This also applies to Coral rings if you need those (#4 is in the cavern area)

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Archenteron posted:

This also applies to Coral rings if you need those (#4 is in the cavern area)

Honestly depends on whether or not you need to buy anything else. If you've got the cash might as well pick up that 4th set of Sandals early.

And Coral Rings are honestly only necessary for Leviathan (who is optional), Twintania (if you've got a heavily physical team), and Shinryu (if you don't have a way to Berserk him or get around his opening Wave with !Jump or !Hide), so with some teams you may not need them at all.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I think I overvalued the amount of people checking this thread in August so I'll double the amount per goon here.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Man, this Thief->Ranger upgrade set has paid off GREAT for me so far! World 2 has been a breeze at every point thanks to elemental bows, Dark Bow blinding, Killer Bow instant kills, stolen Hayate Bow damage, and my personal favorite, stolen Flame Rings from Red Dragons in the Barrier Tower treasure chests turning the dragon rooms in Exdeath's castle from "OH GOD PLEASE LET ME GET THROUGH THIS ROOM ALIVE" to "The ultimate grinding spot!". Managed to master Ranger on everyone in barely any time at all, and got a few levels out of the deal.

And since the current class is mastered on everyone, let us trust to luck and see if the next class benefits me even more!

...I forgot that I'm the unluckiest bastard around. Figures I'd get one of the few classes that makes Rapid Fire practically useless. This is going to make Exdeath a bit trickier! I guess I can go farm Staffs of Light, but killing those Metamorphs is going to be a bitch and a half.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bufuman posted:

...I forgot that I'm the unluckiest bastard around. Figures I'd get one of the few classes that makes Rapid Fire practically useless. This is going to make Exdeath a bit trickier! I guess I can go farm Staffs of Light, but killing those Metamorphs is going to be a bitch and a half.

They're susceptible to Confuse and cast Blizzaga when confused, so Confuse them and spam Image on them to keep them from breaking themselves out. :getin:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Four Time Mage Fiesta is over, hooray!

A quickleak for all of these enemies, minus Magic Lamp Odin for the final chunk of NED. I didn't have the patience to try any of them regularly, especially on SNES with all the dummy NED targets for Meteo. Honestly, nothing was really that bad - I did some save state manipulation for Reflect Rings because fuuuuuck that with only time mages. I did some mini dragon grinding before leaving world 1, did some Blind Wolf grinding for money before leaving world 2, and basically ran from every other encounter the whole time. Most bosses were just some combination of Comet, Meteo, and Rod Breaking.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I'm having a lot of fun with the Randomizer, especially since it's a nice break from my actual run on the Steam version. :v: Except I've gotten Thief in two of my three runs already, and the randomizer has given me Steal, Find Passages, and Sprint out of my ten abilities unlocked so far. And my Earth job was, of course, Thief.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Archenteron posted:

If you're willing to go through the entire third world with only three Sandals, I guess you can do that. Doesn't strike me as very practical though. And honestly, barring Ninja or Samurai, what else are you gonna spend all that endgame cash on?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Poque posted:

Four Time Mage Fiesta is over, hooray!

A quickleak for all of these enemies, minus Magic Lamp Odin for the final chunk of NED. I didn't have the patience to try any of them regularly, especially on SNES with all the dummy NED targets for Meteo. Honestly, nothing was really that bad - I did some save state manipulation for Reflect Rings because fuuuuuck that with only time mages. I did some mini dragon grinding before leaving world 1, did some Blind Wolf grinding for money before leaving world 2, and basically ran from every other encounter the whole time. Most bosses were just some combination of Comet, Meteo, and Rod Breaking.

This counts.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
"Everyone mastered White Mage, now to Upgrade to my last job. I can pass !White on to whatever I get next so the last job should be an improvement unless I get Monk or something."

loving GUESS WHAT JOB I GOT FOR EARTH

Yeah, no. To the Job Fair!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Freelancer for that set would be sick with Thief's speed, !Rapidfire, and !White.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Monk with RapidFire could be entertaining for a little bit. I certainly wouldn't want to take NED on with four of them, though.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
And finally, my reroll went through!

...If the Job Fair fee wasn't for charity I would be demanding a refund right about now. As it is I'm headed right back in there, and this time I'm picking the class.

(seriously, giving out classes with neat abilities then giving me the two WORST classes to utilize all of them, what the hell Gilgabot, rackum frickum rassle frassle)

EDIT: Decided to use a random name selector to pick my class from the few I haven't gotten this year (and actually work with the aforementioned abilities) and it chose Mime, which I can't complain about. And that one already went through, so let's take this class to the end of the game!

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 8, 2017

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Huh, switching to Mime in the Balance Mod doesn't add !Attack and !Item onto your list of abilities like it does in the normal version. Was that an intentional change or a side effect of altering other classes? I can do without !Attack since I've got !Mug from Thief, but no items might be a bit trickier; if I run out of MP on anyone (particularly Lenna, who's set up to be my primary healer and Holybot) I've got no way to restore it mid-battle.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
So, after Job Fairing to Ranger, these are the randomizer abilities I've unlocked so far:

Knight: !Revive, Magic Shell, !Flirt, !Steal, HP +30%, !Zenigage
Beastmaster: !Scan, Sprint, !White L3, HP +20%, !Gaia
Dancer: !Catch, Find Passages, !Guard, !Jump
Ranger: !Aim, Find Pits, !Hide, !Time L3 (which includes Teleport)

I've never had a game so desperate to keep me protected and safe.

Edit: Dancer L4: non-innate !Revive.

jaclynhyde fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 8, 2017

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

So real life kicked me in the balls for July so that I still haven't finished my first run. When is the final end date for this thing?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

So real life kicked me in the balls for July so that I still haven't finished my first run. When is the final end date for this thing?

31 August, per the FJF site.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
First time through the full game, and Neo Exdeath is wrecking me pretty terribly.

I've got a Geomancer/Red Mage/Blue Mage/Samurai Team, all at level 32.

I'm assuming the best strategy for this is to hit it with my biggest multi target attacks, so my Geo is Gaia'ing with an Air Knife, my Red Mage is completely useless so she's just tossing Elixirs, Blue Mage is using Aeroga/White Wind/Mighty Guard, and my Samurai's using Zenigage until that runs out of juice.

At least two of my party members getting blown up by Almagest whenever it comes out, and I can't really restabilize from there and end up wiping.

Is there something super wrong with my strategy, or should I just go get more levels/items? I've heard Magic Lamp is useful.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
It's weird, with Mighty Guard an Almagest really shouldn't be killing two of your guys, even the Red Mage, I think. In my experience it does something like 600-800 damage through Shell, and that should be survivable for a Level 32 RM. Are you looking out for Dispels from NED? Dead party members (from physical attacks or unlucky Grand Crosses) need the defensive buffs reapplied. You should always keep everyone topped off, it's easy with White Wind and Mighty Guard - your RM isn't useless, put !Blue on them. And on the Geomancer, I suspect they'll do better with it than with the Wind Slash spam (I mean you can do the math easily, is 4x Wind Slash damage better than a single-target...or even multi-target Aeroga? What about if you want to Magic Lamp the fourth part immediately?).

You might also want to focus on blitzing down the Grand Cross or Almagest part first, that means single-target attacks instead.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
AoE can be good but if you're pushing multiple parts to berserk you're risking a wipe.

Everyone is wearing Hermes Sandals, right? If not, go out and buy them.

Blue or Zeninage are your best commands. Go out and get the lamp (although Ianuki does have a shot at landing, it's not guaranteed like lamp Odin). You should come into Neo with Mighty Guard up. Use the lamp to instantly kill the spellcaster (back part).

Now, Almagest is telegraphed (screen shaking) and should be survivable with Shell. The dragon piece that casts Grand Cross is vulnerable to Paralyze, which you can inflict with certainty with !Blue's Mind Blast. Have one character lock that down. Your other characters should work on killing Physical (top right, the Vacuum Waver), then Almagest (bottom right, organ looking creature), then finish off Grand Cross. I assume Zeninage does more than other options, so do about 35 to 40k damage to a piece, wait for all your characters' turns to come up, and burn it down ASAP. White Wind / Phoenix Down / Elixir as necessary.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

derra posted:

AoE can be good but if you're pushing multiple parts to berserk you're risking a wipe.

This isn't quite correct. The trigger for berserking is being the last part alive, so by definition you can only have one part berserk at a time. The issue with evenly spread AoE damage is that the parts have HP values that vary by 5-10k (depending on whether or not you killed the delta attack part with lamp odin). I tend to do the fight by using lampodin on the back piece, then focusing rushing down on the almagest part, then doing 5k to the grand cross piece, then doing even damage to the remaining two pieces. (5k is the difference between the physical piece's 50k and the grand cross piece's 55k.) With a red mage you even have the option of using Libra to ensure that the last two pieces die at the same time, but this is optional.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Thanks for all the advice on World 3 and NED, got my first victory run all cleared up. :toot:

That thing has a lot of HP.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Run #2: Popular — Dancer / Black Mage / Dragoon / Summoner

After my Quadzerker run, this one was much easier! Bosses were usually cake but I still found random encounters a pain when I wasn't hitting an elemental weakness with my BLM. Dancer is actually fun early on when Jitterbug is worth a drat. I got lucky and Thief Knife'd a Dragon Lance on my third try so Shinryu and the dragon part of NED were much easier. I hit enough Sword Dances where I could rush down the Almagest part and Golem/Carbuncle was plenty of defense for the rest. Omega took about 40 Elixirs, gently caress that robot.

Not much time left for another run. Between Quadzerker taking forever and work being crazy it's all I could do. Who's done a bunch of runs? I feel like derra does 20+ every year.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

I will openly admit that I had to savestate abuse this one, because as I mentioned earlier, I HAD NO !ITEM COMMAND because the Balance Mod failed to add it to my list of abilities when switching to Mime (seriously Can of Worms, if you're reading this please look into that, I wouldn't want anyone else to get stuck without that command when they really need it, this was NOT a fun battle). And if in a prolonged battle, I ran out of MP for Curagas, Shells, Arises, and most importantly Reflects, I was super screwed (also Earthquake was a party wipe any time it came out, and getting Float from Poison Eagles would've been the shortest-term of solutions, considering I had to keep Dispeling my Reflects after Searches to keep Curagas from bouncing to robojerk). If I had had my items, I would've been able to take this one a bit more fairly.

At the very least I shouldn't have to resort to that for Shin and NED, so that's something.

EDIT: Huh, !Attack and !Item are on my list now. I know for a fact they weren't there when I first switched everyone to Mime for my final #Upgrade. Maybe they showed up after I loaded my file from the title screen? Guess that means I should go back and take on Omega fairly.

...I really should. I probably will. drat my sense of morals.

EDIT 2: OK, what seems to happen is that !Attack and !Item are missing from the list when you first bring up the Ability menu on someone... but if you switch to someone else with L or R, the commands appear on their list. That's an interesting bug. Well, now I know for future reference.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Aug 13, 2017

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Triple Crown #4: Team Pure Chaos Upgrade: Thief -> Ranger -> White Mage -> Mime

(this Omega shot is my savestate-less win just now, since I discovered I sorta had !Item this whole time, see above)

Had some fun on this one at first, up until Gilgabot gave me Monk for the last job, and then Red Mage on a reroll. Nice of whatever force decides such things to give me the two absolute worst jobs at utilizing the tools from my previous classes. So glad we get the option to pick our classes if we so choose.

Anyway, Upgrade was kind of interesting but got way too grindy at times and didn't afford a whole lot of variety until I moved onto the last job, so I don't think I'll be doing it again, this year and possibly next. I'll probably go for one more run to round out the year at a nice even 5 runs, then call it quits for this season.

EDIT: Not off to a good start, decided to go with the two new modes to round out the year, so Popular Fifth Job started me with Dancer. Ugh.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 13, 2017

Rudicron
Oct 30, 2013

It's Lunchtime!

Get yourself a hotdog!
So, I've finally finished my first run (Saumrai and 3 Zerks).

Went great until I got to Neo at around level 35, and that just wasn't cutting it; throwing myself against him repeatedly was a little disheartening.
At 41, though, was much less trouble.

Sorry, no TC; I don't think I'd have been able to do either of them.

Also, it kind of fell by the wayside, but I did make a pledge, and a few of you (derra, Chadina, and plot.lost) did perform the task, so;

Decided to jump to $10 per Puncher, since it's a rather niche and contrived feat.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
So I thought starting off with Dancer was going to be a pain in the rear end. Then I discovered three important things:
1. Several early bosses are NOT immune to confusion
2. The coding of said bosses usually doesn't know how to respond to being confused and they'll usually just sit there
3. All of the Dance attacks, including Sword Dance, will NOT remove confusion.

This run had just about the easiest Siren/Magissa/Garuda fights I've ever done. And my Water job is Chemist, so it looks like I'm Triple Crowning all my runs this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Edit: Oops, forgot the Randomizer only works on US.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 16, 2017

• Locked thread