Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

And speaking of Starfleet officers getting shitfaced: why was O'Brien singing Jerusalem when he and Bashir got plastered in their quarters that one time? Dude's Irish, have a hard time imagining he'd want to sing an English patriotic hymn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Drone posted:

On the topic of foodchat: how exactly is Synthehol supposed to work?

Spoeank posted:

You just don't get drunk. Everything is O'Douls

Yea, that's my take on it as well. It's a non-alcoholic drink that tastes just like alcohol and maybe even gives you a psychological buzz, like a placebo effect thing, but you're not actually getting drunk.

Besides, we all know the recreational drug of choice on the Enterprise is weed. :420: :2bong: :420:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Drone posted:

And speaking of Starfleet officers getting shitfaced: why was O'Brien singing Jerusalem when he and Bashir got plastered in their quarters that one time? Dude's Irish, have a hard time imagining he'd want to sing an English patriotic hymn.
Maybe the 'ra stole it during the reunification of 2024

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's been so long since any of those countries mattered that nobody knows or cares what the difference is

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

I'm too lazy to even load my Kindle app to suss out the precise wording from the technical manual*, but the worst part about replicated food is that after the recycling systems get rid of the unsafe bits when you poo poo, the reminder gets shunted back to the generic mass that all replicated food comes from.

They mention in Enterprise they recycle their crap into all sorts of things too. It's space, you gotta.

I mean, your food it fertilized, same process only slower.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Drone posted:

On the topic of foodchat: how exactly is Synthehol supposed to work? I know it was originally and nebulously billed as "alcohol but without the negative effects", but does that mean you're not supposed to get shitfaced from it? Or you can get shitfaced, but you subconsciously have control over your sobriety and can instantly snap out of it when you need to? Or does it just not give you a hangover?

Well, part of the benefit of alcohol in drinks is the expanded flavor profiles possible by using ethanol as a solvent, so even if it didn't even make you tipsy there'd still be a reason to want to include it in things

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

WampaLord posted:

Yea, that's my take on it as well. It's a non-alcoholic drink that tastes just like alcohol and maybe even gives you a psychological buzz, like a placebo effect thing, but you're not actually getting drunk.

Besides, we all know the recreational drug of choice on the Enterprise is weed. :420: :2bong: :420:

It makes you wonder how anyone can handle real alcohol at all. The entire Enterprise D is all lightweights, then they're expected to go drink Bloodwine.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Spoeank posted:

It makes you wonder how anyone can handle real alcohol at all. The entire Enterprise D is all lightweights, then they're expected to go drink Bloodwine.
Now how the gently caress do you make wine out of blood?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Synthehol never made much sense to me since you'd already be off-duty if you were drinking in Ten-Forward. And even if you drank real alcohol and the ship came under attack I'm sure there's some hypo the Doc can give you to instantly sober up. So if synthehol is a recreational drink that doesn't get you drunk, the only advantage would be a lack of liver/brain damage which, again, can be instantly healed in the magic future sickbay.

You can't even say it's a lack of available (real) alcohol because earth is a post-scarcity utopia where Picard's family can run a vineyard forever and you're constantly visiting planets with their own distinct alcohol.

Who the hell is synthehol for?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Nessus posted:

That's just what they call it :ssh:

Knowing Worf's taste for prune juice (a warrior's drink), it's probably fermented plums.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Straight edge Starfleet members who don't want to feel left out on their ship's versions of Ten Forward.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Synthehol never made much sense to me since you'd already be off-duty if you were drinking in Ten-Forward. And even if you drank real alcohol and the ship came under attack I'm sure there's some hypo the Doc can give you to instantly sober up. So if synthehol is a recreational drink that doesn't get you drunk, the only advantage would be a lack of liver/brain damage which, again, can be instantly healed in the magic future sickbay.

You can't even say it's a lack of available (real) alcohol because earth is a post-scarcity utopia where Picard's family can run a vineyard forever and you're constantly visiting planets with their own distinct alcohol.

If it works anything like real life navies, when red alert's called, everyone has to report to battle stations, even if they're off duty. So synthehol means you can get drunk without it impacting your performance in an emergency.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Drone posted:

the ira conquered england in 2089

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Spoeank posted:

Bashir gave them all an anti-intoxicant for exactly that reason.

Of course, if you've got a shot that makes you not drunk, then again, why do you need synthehol.

MisterBibs posted:

I'm too lazy to even load my Kindle app to suss out the precise wording from the technical manual*, but the worst part about replicated food is that after the recycling systems get rid of the unsafe bits when you poo poo, the reminder gets shunted back to the generic mass that all replicated food comes from.

* Yes, the first book I bought for it was the Technical Manual. I have really fond memories of thumbing through that book as a kid.

Why is that the worst part or even a bad part. If you can't handle eating elements recycled from poo poo and piss, then I have bad news for you.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Spoeank posted:

The cool ones aren't lightweights. There is real booze in 10 Forward, you just have to ask for it. Plus Romulan Ale and all that jazz.

Geordi drinks Synthohol. Riker drinks the green stuff and fucks the prom queen.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

WampaLord posted:

The cool ones aren't lightweights. There is real booze in 10 Forward, you just have to ask for it. Plus Romulan Ale and all that jazz.

Geordi drinks Synthohol. Riker drinks the green stuff and fucks the prom queen.

Geordi fucks all the holodeck women though so :thunk:

VitalSigns posted:

Bashir gave them all an anti-intoxicant for exactly that reason.

Of course, if you've got a shot that makes you not drunk, then again, why do you need synthehol.

That's the worst part; the Starfleet officers on DS9 have full, direct access to real, actual booze

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Nessus posted:

I wonder if replicators have a randomizer mode, or some kind of "surprise me," based on your past taste profiles, mode. Or if replicated meat/dairy/whatever "counts" as vegetarian or not. If the steak you're eating is based on a cow that got slaughtered and carefully prepared 120 years ago on a planet you've never visited, just how culpable are you in its suffering?

I want future rabbis arguing about whether replicated food is kosher, and what alien foods you can eat...

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Angry Salami posted:

I want future rabbis arguing about whether replicated food is kosher, and what alien foods you can eat...

This sort of happened in Babylon 5. In one scene, in the B plot of the worst episode.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

That's the worst part; the Starfleet officers on DS9 have full, direct access to real, actual booze

They also all seem to have Romulan ale, despite the severe space felony that entails.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bajoran space.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

dont even fink about it posted:

They also all seem to have Romulan ale, despite the severe space felony that entails.

It's like Cuban cigars, or weed in states where it's still illegal.

The space feds got bigger stuff to worry about.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
If Klingon blood wine was made from Klingon blood, wouldn't it look like Pepto Bismol?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

If Klingon blood wine was made from Klingon blood, wouldn't it look like Pepto Bismol?

Blood of their enemies, hence you drink it from a goblet.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nessus posted:

You need a high sugar content to get fermentation to work, which is why klingons primarily target diabetics.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Tsaedje posted:

This sort of happened in Babylon 5. In one scene, in the B plot of the worst episode.
From a certain perspective, an alien life form wouldn't be an animal even if it acted like one.. but then by that same perspective it wouldn't be a plant, either.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nessus posted:

From a certain perspective, an alien life form wouldn't be an animal even if it acted like one.. but then by that same perspective it wouldn't be a plant, either.

Depends on if there's Panspermia

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tsaedje posted:

I want to imagine there's a scene on the cutting room floor of pak'ma'ra converts arguing about kosher human.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

McSpanky posted:

I want to imagine there's a scene on the cutting room floor of pak'ma'ra converts arguing about kosher human.

I believe traditionally primate meat isn't kosher, so that'd probably be a no.

Marsupials are also generally considered non-kosher, so Narn's off the menu too...

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Bloodwine is actually just ruby port. Once their ecology went to poo poo, they had to become peaceful with the Federation to get that delicious Sandeman imported.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I actually got curious enough to look it up on Memory Alpha and:

quote:

Whether there is actual blood in the ingredients has never been revealed, however, the Star Trek Cookbook suggests that bloodwine is made of fermented blood and sugar.

What the hell? We know everything about every loving piece of technology but there's no canon answer for "is there blood in bloodwine?"

Get your poo poo together, Star Trek.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I've always assumed Bloodwine used Targ blood. Feed it a special diet to make sure its blood sugar was high, it seems reasonable enough.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Good enough for me. Hell, even we have recipes that call for animal blood, like black pudding and whatnot.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
My own spergtheory is that the replicator makes the most crowd-pleasing (across multiple species, no less) version of whatever you asked for, unless you can tell it exactly how to change it to suit your tastes. Which of course isn't necessarily easy, and is somewhat akin to knowing how to cook. So the average person probably won't know how to tell the computer to improve the food, and will just complain about it instead. On the rare occasion that they can eat something prepared by an actual chef, it's amazing by comparison.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

There is no answer, the replicator is inconsistent and its quality is plot dependent. If you want to tell a story about how smug future people are superior to 20th Yankee traders in every conceivable way, or a story about how the Federation is so much awesomer than all the inbred morons in the Delta Quadrant (the Alabama of the galaxy) then the replicator makes the bestest margaritas and cheesecake ever.

If you want to tell a story about the people who get old and become out of place in the fast paced future, or about how all this technology takes us away from what it means to be human then replicated Scotch can't even be called Scotch and if you don't have a propane stove in your quarters then forget about ever having a decent meal.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And if you don't want to make any sense at all you have Janeway burn a roast in the replicator.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

And if you don't want to make any sense at all you have Janeway burn a roast in the replicator.

I assume she was doing the aforementioned messing with the formula because a standard roast want good enough.

Computer, deactivate replicator safeties, authorization Janeway alpha two six delta

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Well, Janeway is a Cathy.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sir Lemming posted:

My own spergtheory is that the replicator makes the most crowd-pleasing (across multiple species, no less) version of whatever you asked for, unless you can tell it exactly how to change it to suit your tastes. Which of course isn't necessarily easy, and is somewhat akin to knowing how to cook. So the average person probably won't know how to tell the computer to improve the food, and will just complain about it instead. On the rare occasion that they can eat something prepared by an actual chef, it's amazing by comparison.

You know what would happen in real life is that everyone would be giant babies and would pitch a fit if they got a meal that was even slightly different from the one they'd been getting in the replicator for the past fifteen years. "My grilled cheese sandwich usually has this little char pattern in the bread that sort of looks like a smiley face! This one has the char pattens all wrong!"

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

They always get such boring stuff from replicators.

I would tell it to make some delicacies every time, caviar blinis, sashimi, jamon curado, bird's nest soup, smoked eel, vintage kanar, oysters for every dinner. Replicators can make anything so why do they bother with boring crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Computer, Ecto Cooler, chilled. And a McDonalds apple pie - THE FRIED KIND not the baked ones.