Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dr Snofeld posted:

Expert Roulette, Temple of the Fist. Tank who was otherwise doing fine pulls the last two groups of trash before the final boss at the same time, promptly eats poo poo (naturally) and we wipe. I say "A little overambitious" and I get kicked. Am I the rear end in a top hat?

Sounds to me like it might have been an FC group and their buddy healer came online just around then so they've done the dirty on you to get their buddy a nice quick stack of creation so the kick was coming regardless of your performance/comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

It's just the camera angle.

Augus posted:

Final Fantasy XV has a butt slider

Wanna watch the rage when only races with muscle sliders are the only ones to get the butt slider.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
you're not an rear end in a top hat, but that pull really isn't that bad

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Dr Snofeld posted:

Expert Roulette, Temple of the Fist. Tank who was otherwise doing fine pulls the last two groups of trash before the final boss at the same time, promptly eats poo poo (naturally) and we wipe. I say "A little overambitious" and I get kicked. Am I the rear end in a top hat?

No.

I've had tanks pull too big for their britches, or I've just hosed up and let the tank die because must gravity, and every single time they've just walked it off and pulled less. Usually without saying a word.

So you're fine.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Sounds to me like it might have been an FC group and their buddy healer came online just around then so they've done the dirty on you to get their buddy a nice quick stack of creation so the kick was coming regardless of your performance/comments.

I was a DRG, though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dr Snofeld posted:

I was a DRG, though.

eh, i'd say it maybe gives you one more point on the rear end in a top hat scale (talking like 2/10 instead of 1/10) because it shouldn't matter to anyone but the healer how big a tank's pull is and if the healer doesn't comment there's no cause for concern but it doesn't change that the people who kicked you are the dickheads of the situation

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This reminds me of an Ala Mhigo run I was in last week where the tank, healer, and other DPS got in a huge argument after the tank kept loving up and failing to hold AoE aggro. The tank kept blaming the DRG, the DRG initiated a vote-kick (which failed because we didn't want to have to wait for another tank). We kept going and the DRG again pulled aggro off the tank, with the two magitek giants before the last boss, because the tank was just focusing on single-target aggro on one and the DRG had the gall to occasionally hit the other. The argument continued during the boss fight until I said "stop typing and fight," at which point everyone shut up until the moment the boss died, at which point the argument picked up right where it left off.

I was very amused.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

BrightWing posted:

I dont think so personally. If you don't get a tether, just adjust to run to any safe spot. If you do, check where you want to end up, move to where it is that will make forced march take you there. Big thing Ive heard is that you need to be in the veeeeeery edge of the corner it you are tethered cause the damage falloff is rather sensitive.

Another thing is that if you position for your forced march under the reaper you're tethered to, you will stop inside the center reapers aoe and have to run out and under your opposite reaper, likely without enough time unless you sprint for your march or after it drops off. Even then you're going to cut it close.

I usually position myself on the line of the diamond on the tile my reaper is on, closest to the center, and end up stopping almost under the opposite reaper, needing only minor adjustment to make sure I'm not in an outside tile.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

There's at least 1 specific instance I can think of where Ranged LB is better, and that's A1. Once the copy of the boss shows up and they have to be tanked apart they are too far away for a caster LB to catch them both. You can be an idiot and go stand directly in front of one of them and Ranged LB to catch both. It's pretty satisfying.

You never have to be in front of an enemy to ranged LB stuff behind them and still hit the one you're near. As long as the LBs AoE overlaps any part of the mobs hit box you're golden. Just move up real close to the "front" target and use the LB on whatevers behind you. Hell, ranged LB3 is wide enough you could be standing a few yards to the side and still hit the thing.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I really wish the various skirts for BRD's were either just a tiny bit longer so that they will stick out from under my glamourd Rainbow Shirt. Or at the very least i wish more of them had less thigh high stockings attached because they just don't look that great along with the red and white coloring i'm going for.

Being fashionable while trying to avoid outright skimpyness is so hard :sigh:

Try the Ureaus Skirt. It's still short, but longer than say, the cashmere skirt and the skirts used by crafting sets. The game definitely needs more knee-length skirts though. Whatever limitatioms be damned, there's already clipping with some equipment combos. Glamour can be built around that.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 4, 2017

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

I think the MSQ is telling me to never trust a male Lalafell. (Except Papalymo.)

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
you know, you don't need to make commentary when someone dies, especially if it seemed like the person who died was like 'huh, okay that didn't work' and the run was fine otherwise.

i don't think it makes you an rear end in a top hat, but it was entirely unneccesary, not constructive or instructive, and depending on how much you said before that, probably made three people have a not very great opinion of you.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Jade Rider posted:

never trust a male

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Jade Rider posted:

I think the MSQ is telling me to never trust a male Lalafell. (Except Papalymo.)

Papashan is a pretty alright dude, as was the guy in the Schooler quests (Alka Zolka?).

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

you know, you don't need to make commentary when someone dies, especially if it seemed like the person who died was like 'huh, okay that didn't work' and the run was fine otherwise.

i don't think it makes you an rear end in a top hat, but it was entirely unneccesary, not constructive or instructive, and depending on how much you said before that, probably made three people have a not very great opinion of you.

As usual with the internet, the lack of tone makes intent wildly difficult to determine. That kind of comment could come off as super sheepish (we goofed that as a group), or pretty accusatory (you goofed that as a [JOB]). This is why you should add a chain of at least seven smilies onto the end of every message sent online.

Rainuwastaken fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 4, 2017

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

Harrow posted:

We kept going and the DRG again pulled aggro off the tank, with the two magitek giants before the last boss, because the tank was just focusing on single-target aggro on one and the DRG had the gall to occasionally hit the other.
Sounds like the DRG was either too incompetent to track and manage his own enmity, or was trying to cause trouble.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

fakemirage posted:

Sounds like the DRG was either too incompetent to track and manage his own enmity, or was trying to cause trouble.

It's one of those things where they were both jerks, and the healer sided with the DRG, and I just stayed out of it. Once I noticed the tank was focusing exclusively on one of the giants, so did I, and the only thing the tank ever said about or to me was "the RDM knew which one to target" and that's it.

I actually have no idea who was right or wrong in that situation because I've never played a tank at max level, but the tank was definitely, uh... undiplomatic, and the DRG responded in kind.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jade Rider posted:

Papashan is pretty OK.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
there is zero reason to attack the 'wrong' (not actively being attacked by the tank) mob in a two-mob pull if you are a drg. i mean, i guess you could make an argument for keeping a dot on the second target, but that doesn't seem to be what you're describing and also involves losing a lot of damage on your primary target.

i mean, if the tank generated any non-trivial amount of aggro on the second target and the drg was pulling it anyway, it was either deliberate or the drg was oblivious.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If the drg pulled aggro the tank hosed up, there really isn't any way around that

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

If the drg pulled aggro the tank hosed up, there really isn't any way around that

Yeah but it also means the DRG isn't doing sick backflips at literally every opportunity, so they're both guilty of being awful, just in different ways.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Skaw posted:

Try the Ureaus Skirt. It's still short, but longer than say, the cashmere skirt and the skirts used by crafting sets. The game definitely needs more knee-length skirts though. Whatever limitatioms be damned, there's already clipping with some equipment combos. Glamour can be built around that.

Play as an Au Ra RDM and embrace everything clipping through everything else. :unsmigghh:

Also, I think some of the early dungeons drop a mid-thigh skirt for casters.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The first in a series of Stormblood short stories is up. This one's about M'naago.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/tales_from_the_storm/

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

there is zero reason to attack the 'wrong' (not actively being attacked by the tank) mob in a two-mob pull if you are a drg. i mean, i guess you could make an argument for keeping a dot on the second target, but that doesn't seem to be what you're describing and also involves losing a lot of damage on your primary target.

i mean, if the tank generated any non-trivial amount of aggro on the second target and the drg was pulling it anyway, it was either deliberate or the drg was oblivious.

I'm pretty sure it's more damage overall for the DRG to put Chaos Thrust on both giants as well as hitting the second one with the aoe of Dragonfire Dive and Geirskogul. If they were pulling off the tank with that, then the Tank was just being terrible and should use flash/overpower/unleash more.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

aoe threat generation is a dps loss at two targets

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Are there any good sculpted/segmented armor pieces for MNK/SAM other than that one PvP chestpiece? I've been trying to gather together a sweet MGR glamour, but neither the rest of that PvP set nor the vath set look quite right. The vath set would look right on if I could dye it, but alas.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

cheetah7071 posted:

There's really no good excuse why a tank can't hold aggro on multiple mobs, especially when it's only 2 of them. Dude was either being bad or extremely lazy.

Rainuwastaken posted:

Yeah but it also means the DRG isn't doing sick backflips at literally every opportunity, so they're both guilty of being awful, just in different ways.

Also this. DPS that never touch their aggro management buttons are also being bad and lazy. If you actually bother to use those you shouldn't pull off the tank even if you go for "the wrong mob".

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
like yeah, there's no real reason for the tank to be losing enmity at any point, but it's not exactly bizarre to be single-target comboing one mob in a two-mob pull, especially if they're beefy mobs and overpower spam would leave you useless for like seventy-five percent of the pull

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Also this. DPS that never touch their aggro management buttons are also being bad and lazy. If you actually bother to use those you shouldn't pull off the tank even if you go for "the wrong mob".

The aggro-drop on Elusive jump is just a side bonus to the real draw, avoiding AoE's while looking real cool. It being on a 30 second cooldown was like a dream come true (in the xpac that killed my interest to play DRG, but still).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If the tank did so little aoe threat that they don't have time to realize what's going on and tab-target over to spread the hate a bit, then the healer would have pulled aggro anyways. Even like overpower+steel cyclone is plenty of time to realize the drg isn't attacking the same enemy as you and give it a butcher's block (or just do a few storm's combos into it), which makes you fine for the rest of the pull.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rainuwastaken posted:

The aggro-drop on Elusive jump is just a side bonus to the real draw, avoiding AoE's while looking real cool. It being on a 30 second cooldown was like a dream come true (in the xpac that killed my interest to play DRG, but still).

I use elusive jump right after the tethers break in O3S. Feels slick as gently caress.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
What's with Astrologians who don't use cards? I keep finding these people! Why even bother leveling one all the way up if you're not gonna use the core mechanic?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Grondoth posted:

What's with Astrologians who don't use cards? I keep finding these people! Why even bother leveling one all the way up if you're not gonna use the core mechanic?

In my experience it's genuinely that they get caught up and forget the card came off cooldown. Every single time I've seen it it's a case of "oh poo poo I forgot." Especially if you're used to other healers or on a run of low-level dungeons where you can't use cards it seems like it's really easy to fall into the trap of just acting like a white mage.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

if you're tanking with pubbies and don't plan to account for them being bad or lazy then that's on you, actually

ImpAtom posted:

In my experience it's genuinely that they get caught up and forget the card came off cooldown. Every single time I've seen it it's a case of "oh poo poo I forgot." Especially if you're used to other healers or on a run of low-level dungeons where you can't use cards it seems like it's really easy to fall into the trap of just acting like a white mage.

I'm a fresh level 60 AST who just finished grinding POTD and yeah sometimes I forget to use my cards if I'm in a stretch where I actually have to focus on healing for a while. I'm actually thinking of changing to WHM though

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Grondoth posted:

Folks who main other classes leveling it cause it's The Best Healer, with no further understanding than that?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Sure, except they go a whole dungeon or trial without ever using them.

Also I ain't tankin, their either my "co" healers or I run into them when I'm being a deeps.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

if you're tanking with pubbies and don't plan to account for them being bad or lazy then that's on you, actually

I'm a fresh level 60 AST who just finished grinding POTD and yeah sometimes I forget to use my cards if I'm in a stretch where I actually have to focus on healing for a while. I'm actually thinking of changing to WHM though

Someone a while back mentioned a macro which did nothing but make a ping noise when Draw comes off cooldown. I don't know the macro myself but that might help.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

ImpAtom posted:

Someone a while back mentioned a macro which did nothing but make a ping noise when Draw comes off cooldown. I don't know the macro myself but that might help.

I need this macro because I absolutely have the problem of forgetting to use my cards.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero

Jade Rider posted:

Through the MSQ I learned that Ul'dah is a city that Ayn Rand would be proud of.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
just make a hot bar near the middle of your screen and put your cooldowns on it

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So what the heck is happening during Ixion? Is everyone basically just flailing against a huge sack of HP and DCing until it's over? I was trying to contribute meaningfully, but it was nearly impossible to tell what was going on other than when AoE markers showed up.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

someone, please

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

just make a hot bar near the middle of your screen and put your cooldowns on it

disgusting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Azerban posted:

someone, please