Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm having a lot of silly fun with Dynasty Warriors 8 Ultimate Xtreme Radical Legends: Definitive Edition for Completionists. Any other games on PC or PS4 that let me kill KO millions of mooks each stage? Bonus points if it has something akin to Ambition mode instead of just story mode.

Well anything else by Omega Force who develop the musou type games. They also made Samurai Warriors Spirit of Sanada which is the Japanese setting of the same game. It also has a conquest/different game mode.The older samurai warriors games are better I think but not sure since I haven't played them in a while.

There are a few anime versions of these games too but those only have story. There is a Berserk/Attack on Titan versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm having a lot of silly fun with Dynasty Warriors 8 Ultimate Xtreme Radical Legends: Definitive Edition for Completionists. Any other games on PC or PS4 that let me kill KO millions of mooks each stage? Bonus points if it has something akin to Ambition mode instead of just story mode.

Check out Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate, it's not on PC but should be on PS4 (or PS3 at least? Are they backwards compatible? I don't have a current gen console). It's it's a Dynasty Warriors / Samurai Warriors crossover with characters from both games, plus some interesting additions from history, mythology and other video games like Joan of Arc, Achilles, and Ryu from Ninja Gaiden.

The story is about demons that are disrupting the timestream (the Orochi, naturally) so you travel through time, hit some remixed classic levels from DW and SW games as well as original stages, unlock an enormous roster (and bring 3 with you into each battle that you can swap between at any time), collect and upgrade tons of weapons and items and, yeah, KO millions of mooks. I had Warriors Orochi 3 on PS3 and it was a beautiful thing as someone who loves Musou games. WO3 only had story mode and free-play but it had a shitload of stages, and a mode called Musou Battlefields that lets you edit cleared stages to add more enemies/select enemy officers/change the story and dialog/etc. I haven't played Ultimate but it adds something called Gauntlet Mode where you take a party of 5 characters into a "multi-level dungeon" and try to make it through without your dudes dying, and apparently significantly expands Musou Battlefields.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 2, 2017

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ulio posted:

Well anything else by Omega Force who develop the musou type games. They also made Samurai Warriors Spirit of Sanada which is the Japanese setting of the same game. It also has a conquest/different game mode.The older samurai warriors games are better I think but not sure since I haven't played them in a while.

There are a few anime versions of these games too but those only have story. There is a Berserk/Attack on Titan versions.

Is Ambition mode the big involved map-conquering mode? One Piece Warriors 3 has a version of that.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Tagra posted:

Are there any first person Diablo clones out there, which is to say slaughtering hordes of enemies in the hopes of forcing randomized loot to drop so that you can hit the RNG jackpot?

Borderlands fits pretty well, and then maybe Vermintide (which seemed like more of a LFD clone with random loot elements than a diablo clone). Is there anything else worth looking into?

Might and Magic 6 and 7.

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty

bewilderment posted:

I need cool PC games that I can play while my girlfriend watches and enjoys them. I think I posted in this thread before but whatevs I need more recommendations.

The 'trick' is that these need to work with a Steam controller so we can play on a big TV.

General hint is to stay away from 'obvious' answers because I've already considered them.

Games that worked well:
Prey (2017) - (she loved it)
Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines (currently playing, she also loves it and laughs at the gothy-ness of it)
Firewatch
Her Story - I have a couch keyboard
SOMA
What Remains of Edith Finch
Dyscourse
Tales from the Borderlands
Life is Strange
Herald
Journey

Games that worked OK:
Deus Ex MD - was actually really kinda boring?
Horizon Zero Dawn - yeah I have a PS4 too but anyway it's cool but all the exploration could be a little dull to watch
Pyre - too much reading to be a 2-player couch experience
Dishonored 2 - seemed a good bet after Prey, but was a bit too slow, the way I play anyway

Basically, stuff that has a good story combined with somewhat entertaining gameplay. Not necessarily limited to walking-sims or 'immersive sims' or telltale games but that's what's kinda worked so far.

edit to say: she's also played Skyrim and Dragon Age to death herself, any by her own admission the new Fallouts are not a good option.

Since you said PS4 was OK too, I'll throw out a recommendation for Yakuza 0. As long as you avoid the more repetitive minigames, only because I don't think they'd be fun to watch, the main storyline is very engaging and the substories (sidequests) are well written and have fantastic characters. Plus the visceral combat can be pretty entertaining to watch.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

bewilderment posted:

I need cool PC games that I can play while my girlfriend watches and enjoys them. I think I posted in this thread before but whatevs I need more recommendations.

The 'trick' is that these need to work with a Steam controller so we can play on a big TV.

General hint is to stay away from 'obvious' answers because I've already considered them.

Games that worked well:
Prey (2017) - (she loved it)
Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines (currently playing, she also loves it and laughs at the gothy-ness of it)
Firewatch
Her Story - I have a couch keyboard
SOMA
What Remains of Edith Finch
Dyscourse
Tales from the Borderlands
Life is Strange
Herald
Journey

Games that worked OK:
Deus Ex MD - was actually really kinda boring?
Horizon Zero Dawn - yeah I have a PS4 too but anyway it's cool but all the exploration could be a little dull to watch
Pyre - too much reading to be a 2-player couch experience
Dishonored 2 - seemed a good bet after Prey, but was a bit too slow, the way I play anyway

Basically, stuff that has a good story combined with somewhat entertaining gameplay. Not necessarily limited to walking-sims or 'immersive sims' or telltale games but that's what's kinda worked so far.

edit to say: she's also played Skyrim and Dragon Age to death herself, any by her own admission the new Fallouts are not a good option.

Alien isolation. Bioshock? I'd recommend the original deus ex but I have no idea how lenient the game is towards tv & steam controller support, given its age.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

bewilderment posted:

DOOM (2016) might work. Considering your girlfriend seems to enjoy VTM - Bloodlines, she might appreciate the po-faced insanity of DOOM's plot. The action is blistering fast. and a ton of fun to watch, speaking personally. It's just so METAL. It is also, IMO, the best shooter in at least a decade, maybe longer.

HITMAN (2016) is a good choice, too. It's got a great sense of humor and fantastic writing, and there's lots of creativity & variety in the gameplay; it feels like a game designed for an audience.

Reaching back a little farther, Mass Effect 2 might work; it's an RPG with high production values & a lot of the menu busywork stripped out. If she likes campy horror, Resident Evil 4 is a classic for a reason.

Ed:

Wolfenstein: The New Order seems like a perfect fit. The plot is great, with fantastic characterization; it's a gorgeous game, and the action has got some real flair to it.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 3, 2017

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

bewilderment posted:

I feel like Mass Effect is exactly what you're looking for.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Kind of a long shot, but can anyone recommend a game similar to Banished that doesn't drop off in difficulty after the first few years? I am thinking something like Rimworld, just instead of enemies you are facing crop devastation, population collapse, etc.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Thanks for the suggestions

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Yea Mass Effect 2 is the greatest game sequel of all time imo

As far as like getting rid of everything I didn't like about the first one and improving the stuff I did at like a 100% rate, every single thing I didn't like about the first one gameplay-wise was gotten rid of

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
They made just enough changes to the structure of the game from Mass Effect 1 -> 2 that it really turned a good game into something great

shame about the last quarter of ME3.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I actually really liked Mass Effect 1 it had some really cool ideas like the gun license thing and the rpg elements were stronger in it. It had the best dialogue system and quest structure out of any the sequels. Problem is that the gameplay/combat felt bad. This is often the case. You either put more rpg elements or focus on the gameplay straight up. Mass Effect 2 and 3 were decent balance of those with 3 being more combat oriented. The thing that suffered the most was the quest structures and narrative/dialogue choices you had.

Also Mass Effect 1 was insanely hard on nightmare. All the sequels are pretty easily especially if you get some practice in multiplayer you can find the strongest classes and combos easily.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If you're playing Mass Effect 1 for the first time in 2017, there's no shame in using console commands to just cheat yourself into 9999999 credits for the best armor/weapons in the game immediately so that you never have to spend time fiddling around with the inventory.

Same for Mass Effect 2 for 9999999 of each resource so that you never have to scan planets.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
At the very least use one of those save game templates so you can start off with all the achievement bonuses unlocked.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

I've been playing Terraria with some friends lately but we're getting frustrated with hitting a wall, duke fishron is kicking our rear end and the game has stopped being fun for the group (myself included). We're looking for something co-op multiplayer to take a break with, something that will run on some fairly low-spec laptops because we like to meet in person to play.

I was thinking of something like Monaco but more suggestions would be very welcome.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

CheeseThief posted:

I've been playing Terraria with some friends lately but we're getting frustrated with hitting a wall, duke fishron is kicking our rear end and the game has stopped being fun for the group (myself included). We're looking for something co-op multiplayer to take a break with, something that will run on some fairly low-spec laptops because we like to meet in person to play.

I was thinking of something like Monaco but more suggestions would be very welcome.

I had a really good time playing Satellite Reign with 2 friends, it's a little bit like Monaco in that it's top-down, real-time co-op about cyberpunk sci-fi heisting, but unlike Monaco it's very combat heavy.

One huge warning about SR co-op though is that if the players aren't kind of in tune with each other and quick to react to each others' decisions it becomes nearly impossible to progress, if one of the players is bad at videogames for example you'll just get frustrated, it needs all four characters to work together as a well-oiled machine and since each player has a specific role to fill (soldier who handles all of the heavy combat, hacker who needs to separate from the group very often and remain concealed while still moving forward, assassin who can get to places other people can't and whittle down enemy defenses) one person who's not very good at what they're doing creates a pretty big gap on the team. That being said, there's very very little penalty for failure in the game and as long as you don't mind it, you can just try again when you respawn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFZVXG0g40Q

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I'm looking for some mostly text-based (simple 2D graphics are ok, but it should be functional - it's an issue I actually have with many modern strategy games, they are flashy and have nice shader effects and a 3D map when a simple graph overview in some situations would be preferable and less tiring) strategy game that'll scratch my C64 "startegy games that just consist of text" itch, but with added complexity modern computers can bring. Lots of fiddly systems and mechanical interactions are a plus. I know all the classics and also games like the Democracy or Crusader Kings series. A unique setting would also be a bonus. Show me games where I can make numbers go up!

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Police Automaton posted:

I'm looking for some mostly text-based (simple 2D graphics are ok, but it should be functional - it's an issue I actually have with many modern strategy games, they are flashy and have nice shader effects and a 3D map when a simple graph overview in some situations would be preferable and less tiring) strategy game that'll scratch my C64 "startegy games that just consist of text" itch, but with added complexity modern computers can bring. Lots of fiddly systems and mechanical interactions are a plus. I know all the classics and also games like the Democracy or Crusader Kings series. A unique setting would also be a bonus. Show me games where I can make numbers go up!

Dominions 4.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Already had it recommended, somehow rubbed me the wrong way. Not much for fantasy settings, I guess I should add that.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Aurora? That might be a bit TOO much what you're asking for, though. Bear in mind it looks like this:

There's a LP running at the moment if you want a better idea of what it's like.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Can anyone recommend a game with an eastern setting, preferably in the past or just pure fantasy. Not too fussed on specific genre, just in the mood to play something like Jade Empire that I haven't played, was rewatching Avatar and it's made me want something with that sort of flavour.

Stuff I have already played that might fit this.
Onimusha 1, 2 and 3
Tenchu
Jade Empire

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
The Nobunaga series is interesting (although overpriced imo) if you like strategy and Romance of the Three Kingdoms is similar.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 5, 2017

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Really Pants posted:

Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun

Ah poo poo yeah, there was one that was in my head as I was writing that but I forgot as I was writing it. Yeah I got that game at Christmas cause I saw the thread for it here and it said "this is basically Commandos with ninjas". Bloody good it was too.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

Can anyone recommend a game with an eastern setting, preferably in the past or just pure fantasy. Not too fussed on specific genre, just in the mood to play something like Jade Empire that I haven't played, was rewatching Avatar and it's made me want something with that sort of flavour.

Onimusha 1, 2 and 3
Tenchu
Jade Empire

What about Nioh? It is like Onimusha + Dark Souls.
Yakuza games are also good and finally getting some recognization the west. There is no fantasy in them though but its purely eastern setting.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Toukiden 1 and 2 are monster hunter-likes with a heavy Eastern influence.

Wuxia games are great and is what Jade Empire draws influence from but the number you can play in English is limited, on steam you've got Tale of Wuxia which leans way heavily on the goofy side of things but also there's http://store.steampowered.com/app/427030/The_Gate_of_Firmament/ which is more like a JRPG.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

thebardyspoon posted:

Onimusha 1, 2 and 3
Tenchu
Jade Empire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKl0o3B4Sr4
Muramasa is one of my favorite games ever and I love it for all the same reasons I loved Jade Empire. Also it works on a Wii emulator :shrug:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

thebardyspoon posted:

Onimusha 1, 2 and 3
Tenchu
Jade Empire

Kind of a weird flavor, but Age of Wushu, an martial arts MMO, is fun enough to mess around with if you don't mind a but of confusion and grind.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
There's a classic strategy RPG from Sid Meier called Sword of the Samurai. It's aged plenty, but it's a golden oldie for sure.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

thebardyspoon posted:

Onimusha 1, 2 and 3
Tenchu
Jade Empire

Way of the Samurai 3 or 4.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

thebardyspoon posted:

Onimusha 1, 2 and 3
Tenchu
Jade Empire

If you don't mind shaky translations, check out Tale of Wuxia.

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me
I'm looking to fill the void of open world games in my life. Would Ghost Recon Wildlands be worth playing single player?

Also are there any other games like saints row 2 where the city feels really unique, filled with a whole load of stuff to do?

I'm sick and tired of how the other saints rows/gta's are like where they make a good looking city (steelport does not count at all) but with no point of exploring them, feeling like a husk of a place.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Guavatin posted:

I'm looking to fill the void of open world games in my life. Would Ghost Recon Wildlands be worth playing single player?

Also are there any other games like saints row 2 where the city feels really unique, filled with a whole load of stuff to do?

I'm sick and tired of how the other saints rows/gta's are like where they make a good looking city (steelport does not count at all) but with no point of exploring them, feeling like a husk of a place.

This has been my experience with open world games lately as well. Long ago I used to marvel at the mere concept that one day they might make a game with a huge city filled with streets and stores and alleys... and that's rather the basest expectation of a city-based open world game now. I think it was that one game...True Crime? It was basically GTA but you were a cop and it had a supposedly accurate reproduction of Los Angeles in it. But...I remember driving through the city thinking, who gives a poo poo? There's nothing between point A and point B plotwise, and even though it may be meticulously hand-crafted, it's still just full of randomly spawned NPCs and cars.

When Morrowind was new, it engrossed me like nothing else because I found a simple non-magical, essentially junk ring at the bottom of a lake. It was just there, on its own, and I thought that poo poo was loving amazing, because it had been placed there for a reason. What would you think if you found a ring in a lake? Maybe it belonged to someone, an engagement ring, or...something...I mean, there wasn't anything more to it, but there's something special about that poo poo when it's very deliberately put there. I felt like Oblivion was an empty shell with nothing interesting going on, mostly because of scaling, their dungeons weren't randomized in-game but they were built using random seeds. I dig open world, generated games, but it never feels real or anything even close to real.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'd love a game that was basically Morrowind but with combat that would be at home in a brawler or FPS series, and good enough to just stand on its own without being attached to an RPG. The actual act of hitting someone with a sword or shooting a gun always feels awful in Bethesda games, regardless of whether the particular game in question has a well-designed, lived-in world or not.

The only game I can think of that really scratched that itch for me is the STALKER series, and they have their own problems, obviously. (Buggy as hell and sadly a lot more linear than they initially look.)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Guavatin posted:

Have you played Dying Light?

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me

Really Pants posted:

Have you played Dying Light?

I wish. for some reason this game does not run at all.

credburn posted:

When Morrowind was new, it engrossed me like nothing else because I found a simple non-magical, essentially junk ring at the bottom of a lake. It was just there, on its own, and I thought that poo poo was loving amazing, because it had been placed there for a reason.

That's exactly it, right there. Just finely crafted worlds where you know that the developer put time and effort into.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Guavatin posted:

I tried it and returned it for a full refund. It's a big map, but not especially interesting. You can always give it a shot on Steam, and if you don't like it, you can return it as long as you don't play over two hours.

For a unique city experience, the Hong Kong in Sleeping Dogs is much more fun than the endless jungles of Wildlands.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Guavatin posted:

Cantorsdust posted:

I'll assume you just didn't list the Far Cry series, but 3, 4, Blood Dragon, and Primal are all good open worlds (with mediocre to decent stories).

Edit: If you can tolerate jank, Deadly Premonition? You'll need to install DPFix to get it to run on PC though.
Edit Edit: I'll just complete the list of 3D Open World Games I've Played and Liked:

Bully
GTA 3-5 (with preference for San Andreas)
Dragon's Dogma
Dying Light
Just Cause 2
Mad Max
Miasmata
STALKER
Sleeping Dogs
Subnautica
Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines
Watch Dogs 2

Maybes (depending on your definition of open)
Dead Rising 1-3 (with 2/Off the Record being the best)
Fable 1-3 (with 1 on PC being okay, 2 on 360 being the best, don't buy 3)
Hitman (Blood Money or the new one)
Pathologic (3D and open but survival horror, not an RPG)
The Void (3D and open but survival horror, not an RPG)
Mass Effect

hampig posted:

Anyone know of any fun action RPGs that natively support controllers?

So far my list is:
Victor Vran
Buy a PS4 and Diablo 3

Also, can anyone recommend any 3D games that are fun to explore with well-constructed worlds that might have gone under my radar?

On my to-do list are:
Prey
NieR: Automata

I've played and liked:
All the Dark Souls games
TES games, Fallout games
Witcher gamess
Deus Ex, and HR
Arkham Asylum and City

Played and were ok/didn't finish:
Shadow of Mordor
Kingdoms of Amalur
Assassin's Creed

Between my post and hampig's post are all the 3D open world games I've played and liked and would recommend. Specifically for open world cities I'd recommend the TES series, especially Morrowind, the Fallout series, especially Fallout New Vegas, and the Witcher 3. If you are okay with 2D RPGs, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 have excellent cities and are an example of Bioware pre-EA at its peak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
On the subject of open world games, Just Cause 3 was (maybe still is?) for free for PS+ members, and my girlfriend is one so she got it. The problem is, even on the PS4 the game suffers from erratic slowdowns and loading times are awful. I've played Just Cause games before and I know that I like to die repeatedly in the middle of huge explosions again and again because this poo poo amuses me, but I cannot deal with loading times that are greater than 20 seconds. Especially since that's about how long I intend to live before dying again in some ridiculous way. I have a pretty good computer, I guess, so my question is, does this game have any weird bugginess to it that would cause me to experience the same slowdowns/loading times on PC? Or is it even worth buying at all?