Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

That one is pretty close! I think the others were similar but about older issues. They were better examples if I remember correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

There was another one, same joke but it was like a 12th century painting, really flat looking people.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

There was another one, same joke but it was like a 12th century painting, really flat looking people.

Yeah, the age added to the concept because it sort of pointed out how the argument was the same poo poo that had been trotted out for centuries for different issues. With that came the implication of it being a b.s., specious argument then and still was.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

downout posted:

Yeah, the age added to the concept because it sort of pointed out how the argument was the same poo poo that had been trotted out for centuries for different issues. With that came the implication of it being a b.s., specious argument then and still was.

The most common celebrity target is probably Al Gore, because he refuses to live the consistent and sensible lifestyle of a cave dwelling hippie who forages for survival while communicating by hobo code and carrier pigeon and smoke signals.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

sweart gliwere posted:

The most common celebrity target is probably Al Gore, because he refuses to live the consistent and sensible lifestyle of a cave dwelling hippie who forages for survival while communicating by hobo code and carrier pigeon and smoke signals.

I see that plenty. It's usually 'Al Gore doesn't live like a hermit therefore global warming isn't real', which is just an amazing leap of logic.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

https://thenib.com/mister-gotcha

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

I looked up the article out of curiosity, and it's not the least bit offensive or pointless. Another case of idiots freaking out at the idea of an African-American dude getting positive coverage for anything other than right-wing blather.

It's pretty noteworthy that the lone black person in an entire state's P&R management body is retiring next year (ending a 30+ year career), and the same can be said for part of his legacy in making sure parks are inclusive and inviting to guests and groups from any part of the state.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
P.M. Barnett, JEW

https://twitter.com/vewpoints/status/893867640925696001

:tinfoil: :hitler:

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

Spatial posted:

Dilbertman has gone so far off the reservation that he's now made a Dilbert comic where the guy criticising someone for taking vacation time is the good guy. And that's the shallow end of the piss pool

You either die a worker or live long enough to see yourself become middle management.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

TinTower posted:

P.M. Barnett, JEW

don't doxx my business cards

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Panfilo posted:

Do rubes actually sit around for hours at the DMV? If the wait time is 2 hours then take your number and go run other errands/eat lunch/whatever and come back. My wife and I had to got to the DMV recently and we literally went and saw a movie then came back to the DMV afterward and waited 15 minutes to take care of our business.

you know I don't know why I didn't think of this

I haven't had that long a line recently for the DMV or similar enterprises, but I'd typically just settle in and play with my widget / read.

Now I can go grab a beer and do that. :v:

well maybe not from OUR DMV, it's smack dab in the middle of goddamn nowhere

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Do rubes actually sit around for hours at the DMV? If the wait time is 2 hours then take your number and go run other errands/eat lunch/whatever and come back. My wife and I had to got to the DMV recently and we literally went and saw a movie then came back to the DMV afterward and waited 15 minutes to take care of our business.

Surely this is dependent on the wait time being accurate instead of +/- 1 hour.

(I'm not American so for all I know it is, but I'd never trust any queue wait time estimate of 2 hours regardless of where it was)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I sorta think that the DMV stuff is more collective "knowledge" than fact. I live in Arizona, Republican central, our MVD ( because we like to have a different acronym), has been fairly rapid every time I've been there, I had to get a reprint of a birth certificate a few weeks ago at a different government office and it was a 30 minute wait and 5 minute transaction, I got a passport and they were super helpful and they even had a setup to take pictures for people who didn't bring a passport photo.

Government services are pretty good.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Is Arizona(and FL?) a state where driver licenses last forever/50+ years?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

PhazonLink posted:

They expire when you turn 65.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Panfilo posted:

I've been to a few DMVs that are just "take a number" and then wait for it to show up. You could probably try extrapolating how long it will take, but you'd have to wait around a while since some people take much longer than others (e.g. someone getting a new driver's license picture will take 3 minutes, whereas someone doing god-knows-what takes like half an hour). Also since most people go to the DMV once every 5 years it's probably not a huge deal to optimize it. That said, that's a good idea when possible... if you trust the waiting time estimate.

Last time I renewed my US driver's license, in a major city DMV, there was no electronic announcement or number or anything. You filled out your details on an iPad and then at some point someone would call your name and you'd go to their desk. But, there were like 4 different queue systems (e.g. for renewals, for permit tests, etc.) and everyone was in the same waiting room, so it was actually impossible to figure out how deep you were in the queue based on how people who arrived before or after you getting called up. They also had no PA system so it was just DMV workers behind the counters shouting names at the top of their lungs (???). It was such a weird mixture of high tech (a bunch of iPads so signing up was super easy and quick) and low-tech (completely opaque queueing system, no written way to see if you were getting called up).

VVV: Also it took about 20 minutes start to finish. Not bad, though annoying that going in (to a packed room) that I'd have no idea if it would be 20 minutes or 3 hours.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 7, 2017

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
At the Kansas DMV you fill out online and it texts you when to go to the DMV.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

Not Florida, I just got my FL license and it expires in 8 years.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

My last time in the DMV was switching out the title for the used car I just got and the person mentioned I might as well update my license as it was due to expire in 3 months anyways. The whole process took a maybe 20 minutes including finding a parking spot and talking about how they were allowed to play Metallica while they worked.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Meanwhile, the EU gives Russia a trillion each year as thanks for their work on the Eastern front, etc, etc.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

TinTower posted:

Meanwhile, the EU gives Russia a trillion each year as thanks for their work on the Eastern front, etc, etc.

I honestly don't get what the picture is attempting to convey.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Britain somehow already paid the €40bn that Brussels are asking to cover ongoing commitments to EU functions by blowing up a bunch of their poo poo 70 years ago.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

PJOmega posted:

I honestly don't get what the picture is attempting to convey.

The UK currently has commitments of somewhere around €40–60 billion to the EU. People are very upset that the European Commission want the UK to contribute to that on the day they leave the EU.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Does it count as a forward if it's passed along verbally? My dad told me California state Universities have removed the need for the ability to speak English AND do math of any kind from prerequisites for graduation from any degree "because they're so liberal."

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Does it count as a forward if it's passed along verbally? My dad told me California state Universities have removed the need for the ability to speak English AND do math of any kind from prerequisites for graduation from any degree "because they're so liberal."

I don't even get how people swallow this sort of idiocy. Our lives are busy, I get that, but 5 seconds of thinking on it creates enough holes to drive a gas giant through.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

PJOmega posted:

I don't even get how people swallow this sort of idiocy. Our lives are busy, I get that, but 5 seconds of thinking on it creates enough holes to drive a gas giant through.

Just think of [img=a_schlafly--imaginary_numbers_diatribe]

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
There's a push to make non-STEM associates degrees at California community colleges no longer require algebra. And I suppose if someone can read and write English, they wouldn't necessarily need to speak it. Politifact rates this as MOSTLY TRUE.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

There's a push to make non-STEM associates degrees at California community colleges no longer require algebra. And I suppose if someone can read and write English, they wouldn't necessarily need to speak it. Politifact rates this as MOSTLY TRUE.

I can't tell how much of your post is satire making fun of politifact's desperate attempts to not be called liberal and how much is honest misunderstanding. Damned Poe's Law.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

CSU is phasing out assessment tests and remedial courses in favor of (hopefully) more effective, less costly measures for students who need help.

So, you know. Basically what he said, sure.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

TinTower posted:

Surely this is just a prior example of the UK damaging the unity of continental Europe :haw:

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
One of my new friends on facebook keeps posting memes of "Should congress get Obamacare like the rest of us?" Like and share if you agree!!! And its full of replies agreeing. God loving drat are people dumb.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

PJOmega posted:

I can't tell how much of your post is satire making fun of politifact's desperate attempts to not be called liberal and how much is honest misunderstanding. Damned Poe's Law.

I'm guessing that the English speaking requirement is true, only because there's no reason to make it a formal requirement.

It could be an actual possibility now though because of the virtual campus and the sophistication of translation software, but generally, if someone completes all the requirements to get a degree, they can communicate in English.

It's like saying that there's no requirement to be potty trained to get a diploma. Conservatives are dumb.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It's like saying that there's no requirement to be potty trained to get a diploma. Conservatives are dumb.

Alternatively, it's not a requirement for enrollment, but if you can't demonstrate proficiency, you'll be required to take and pass an esl crash course before you start classes.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Presuming it's that story I posted just a little ways upthread, it's not even ESL- or immigrant-focused. CSU found that students who did poorly on entrance assessments would waste time and money on required remedial courses that didn't even count for college credit, get frustrated, and drop out.

Now (in two years) they're going to base entrance assessments on previous academic records and tests, and if they determine you need help it will be concurrent with classes that you actually get credit for. It sounds like it's basically classroom integration but for college, which makes sense.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Those situations are a lose/ lose for the school. You can't raise admissions standards because it looks bad/ conflicts with promises about diversity and community service. You can't keep failing kids out at high rates after they've taken on debt because everyone agrees that sucks. You can't just throw these kids in regular classes because they'll fail, and you can't make classes easier because the value of a BA is dilute enough already. So you try what you haven't tried yet.

The only thing that really solves this issue is either these kids being ready for college when they enroll or not enrolling.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Not a forwarded post, but i gave up my bus seat to an older fellow who was waiting at the bus stop outside the VA. He decided i was his best friend and proceeded to explain to me how he voted for trump because he will improve the VA, and how this dude had learned MMA during the Korean war. Also were going to war with Korea but it will turn into open conflict with China because they want the land. But we will kick in the teeth of China, so Russia will fight us next. This will happen because big petroleum is afraid of a new "crystal fuel that can run a car 42,000 miles on a single gallon." But the petroleum companies want to sell all their inventory first.

And the president is a great man who needs to learn to accept outside advice BUT he also would literally die starving in the streets if he hadn't have inherited his father's gold. Also Trumps kids are all wonderful stellar people.

Finally he sagely warned me about believing everything in the media, because there are lots of conspiracy theories out there.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Poor guy. He's radicalized to poo poo, and deprived of the tools to fight it by an anti-intellectual culture and possibly some combination of the often intense social isolation of the elderly and the kinds of mental issues that can come with age. I have no idea what to do when talking with that sort of person other than to nod, shrug, and hope they're comfortable. Good on you for giving him your seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Ragnar34 posted:

Poor guy. He's radicalized to poo poo, and deprived of the tools to fight it by an anti-intellectual culture and possibly some combination of the often intense social isolation of the elderly and the kinds of mental issues that can come with age. I have no idea what to do when talking with that sort of person other than to nod, shrug, and hope they're comfortable. Good on you for giving him your seat.

That's really all you can do. They're likely not going to be influenced one way or another, and hopefully they hold no influence on others. It's most likely they don't, given that such levels of dissassociative normally indicate a severe lack of actual human interaction.