Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Earnestly posted:

Why does everyone itt have such a low opinion of poly? :confused:

It rarely works out for people and tends to make the odd one out miserable.

Still not as bad as an open relationship though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Earnestly posted:

*shrugs spreads hands to gesture towards the last 1500 pages.*

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Earnestly posted:

In my case, it's because I've seen it fail so hard so many times in the past 20+ years and usually for the same reasons (eg, a lot of people want to be "poly" just for the sexual aspect and assume that the nonsexual/romantic stuff will just somehow fall in line

e: I'm referring to Polyamorous here, not just polygamy

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
Empiricism?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Honestly successfully making a poly relationship work seems like a lot of work. The kind of person who wants to be poly just so they can have more sex and less responsibility to any one person is probably not going to put that work in, because it's not less responsibility, it's more. And then they post on reddit about it!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Earnestly posted:

nerds with low empathy and social awareness think you can substitute quantity for quality in relationships

it's like the 'we need to start practicing BDSM because I'm bored of our 15min missionary hump sessions' people except relationship-destroying and funny instead of just mildly awkward and funny

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 4, 2017

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
It's crazy because the story just posted actually seems like it might work out? Like, they were already emotionally a threesome, and even if the odds are low, they sound a lot better than the terrible poo poo this thread has seen previously.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
There's also a chunk of 'poly' that's really just you're-not-allowed-to-get-mad-at-me cheating.

Some poly people get hilariously mad about the expectations normal people have in a relationship, too. There was a post a while back detailing a lot of 'common poly pitfalls' like husbands & wives coming before random fuckbuddies.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

It's crazy because the story just posted actually seems like it might work out? Like, they were already emotionally a threesome, and even if the odds are low, they sound a lot better than the terrible poo poo this thread has seen previously.

Nah, they'll introduce the loving aspect and it will all go to jealous hell

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Haifisch posted:

There's also a chunk of 'poly' that's really just you're-not-allowed-to-get-mad-at-me cheating.

Some poly people get hilariously mad about the expectations normal people have in a relationship, too. There was a post a while back detailing a lot of 'common poly pitfalls' like husbands & wives coming before random fuckbuddies.

I'm scared to commit so if I commit to like a dozen people instead of one maybe committing won't actually mean anything anymore

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Haifisch posted:

Some poly people get hilariously mad about the expectations normal people have in a relationship, too. There was a post a while back detailing a lot of 'pitfalls' like husbands & wives coming before random fuckbuddies.

Yeah like while in theory I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with poly even tho it's not what I want I think in practice there can be a loooot of issues, especially when people try to make a relationship they entered into monogamously into a poly relationship, or when someone is using sex-positive framing to try to pressure someone into a poly relationship that really doesn't want to be.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Two's company, three's a crowd, and four is an angry mob.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

I Was The Fury posted:

lol

I (19M) just got my first Dan (black belt) in Karate. My ex-GF (19f--broke up almost a year ago) took the picture I posted of the ceremony and attached it to that "i studied the blade" meme. It's taken off like wildfire in our social circle and maybe beyond. How do I deal with this?

Report her for cyber bullying

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

areyoucontagious posted:

Nah, they'll introduce the loving aspect and it will all go to jealous hell

Threesomes only

Final Destination

No Items

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Improbable Lobster posted:

Threesomes only

Final Destination

No Items

does "a bunch of Ecstasy" count as an "item"

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Nah that's just Dr Marios neutral B

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Okay, I understand the general consensus now. I thought the sentiment came from more of a "it can never work out" standpoint rather than a "these loving nerds" one. My previous roommate and his wife have a great marriage that has always been open, and more recently shifted into poly. Tbh it's one of the strongest relationships I've witnessed in my life.

But now that I've clarified that- haha, these loving nerds and their terrible relationship decisions.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
The only reason more women aren't poly is because they're trying to be with dudes. My wife and the chittering amalgamation of beetles and vermin she's draped a cloak over are extremely happy, and full of glistening, twitching eggs.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

The only reason more women aren't poly is because they're trying to be with dudes. My wife and the chittering amalgamation of beetles and vermin she's draped a cloak over are extremely happy, and full of glistening, twitching eggs.

Don't tell Ted Cruz you're loving his girlfriend

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i would not gently caress ted cruz with satan's dick. no one even three genitals adjacent to him. i would not gently caress a dog his sons killed because they probably hosed it first. if i am having sex in an area where ted cruz is laughing, my whole body dies. the only good use for ted cruz would be to hollow him out such that successful alpha-conservatives could use him as a holster for golf clubs.

rock on nsa rock on fbi, read my fuckin psots lmao

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

poly is basically because nobody's found a way to spin cat hoarding as somehow a progressive movement but insane people still want validation for running herd on a swarm of moody foul-smelling beasts

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 4, 2017

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Earnestly posted:

Okay, I understand the general consensus now. I thought the sentiment came from more of a "it can never work out" standpoint rather than a "these loving nerds" one. My previous roommate and his wife have a great marriage that has always been open, and more recently shifted into poly. Tbh it's one of the strongest relationships I've witnessed in my life.

But now that I've clarified that- haha, these loving nerds and their terrible relationship decisions.

It's not that it can never work out, it's that it rarely does. As a previous poster said, it requires a lot more work to maintain and adds more moving parts to a relationship than there otherwise would be through exponentially increasing the number of relationships inside the relationship.

On the other hand it's also used by lovely people as an excuse to guilt trip and sleep around on their partners.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 4, 2017

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

99% of poly relationships consist of one person who really wants to gently caress someone else, one person whose self-esteem is low enough that they're willing to put up with literally anything from their partner and (at least)one person who's just here to get laid.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Earnestly posted:

poly can work, but it often doesn't. this isn't the sane advice for mature and open minded adults thread, this is the thread making fun of people who ask reddit for relationship advice

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
... does such a thread exist?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Earnestly posted:

... does such a thread exist?

Try here

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Barudak posted:

This is the most complex way of going about a gay hook up

I thought the both wanted to bang the girl, not each other.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Errant Gin Monks posted:

they don't now, but one day they'll be DPing the girl and their tips will accidentally touch and they'll make eye contact...and they'll know. they'll know

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I'm betting that friend wants wife and husband wants friend, personally

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Just leaned I have a son. Another man is paying for his child support. Can I establish myself as the father?

quote:

Texas (Austin)

Four years ago for a few weeks I slept with a woman who was married (she had not told me that she was married). Once I leaned about her marriage, I left her.

I have very recently learned that she is now divorced, the reason being cheating. I called her, she says the child is mine. I also called her ex-husband, he says he knows the child isn't his. Well. It looks like I have a kid.

Obviously there's a chance that the child isn't mine (will have to do DNA test to be sure), but assuming that he is my son, how do I go about establishing myself as the father of this child. And of course releasing this poor guy from paying child support for my kid.

I obviously want some custody here. If I have a kid I'm gonna be drat sure I won't be an absent father like my own father was. I want to do everything I can to support my son. However, do I have any chance? Will not being involved in child's life for all this time work against me? Even though I was just made aware of this situation?

Update: Just leaned I have a son. Another man is paying for his child support. Can I establish myself as the father?

quote:

This is a pretty short update. I wasn't the biological father. The ex-husband helped me get a paternity test and it came back negative. Apparently she had cheated on him with more than one person.

:whitewater:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Danaru posted:

Just leaned I have a son. Another man is paying for his child support. Can I establish myself as the father?

Update: Just leaned I have a son. Another man is paying for his child support. Can I establish myself as the father?

Oh, you also hosed my wife? Sure sure, fill out these forms and leave a cheek swab here. I'll send out a form email later to let you know which, if any, of my children are yours and I can refer you to a family attorney. Thank you very much for calling me, world's most understanding cuck.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Danaru posted:

[Update: Just leaned I have a son. Another man is paying for his child support. Can I establish myself as the father?

That has to have been the weirdest loving conversation!!!!!!!!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lockback posted:

Oh, you also hosed my wife? Sure sure, fill out these forms and leave a cheek swab here. I'll send out a form email later to let you know which, if any, of my children are yours and I can refer you to a family attorney. Thank you very much for calling me, world's most understanding cuck.

Hey if it gets you out of child support you shouldnt be paying its probably worth it. Maybe even taking out a craigslist ad.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Barudak posted:

Hey if it gets you out of child support you shouldnt be paying its probably worth it. Maybe even taking out a craigslist ad.

M4M: Did you gently caress my whore wife? Is this your spawn?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I [m21] told my SO [f19] that I was polyamorous after taking her virginity. Mistake. How can we make it better?

quote:

Okay, for starters, don't rip me up too hard. I need advice, not admonition.

At the time, I'd reasoned out that I wouldn't tell girls I was poly until things got serious. I didn't realize that was a seriously flawed idea at the time (did not take potential for emotional scarring into account). I thought it made sense and would result in maximum mutual enjoyment.

So here's how things happened:

* Met girl on Tinder

* Most amazing first date of my life

* Ask her to stay over for u second date

* At this point, we are pretty into each other. If it's not yet serious love, it will soon be.

* She tells me she is a virgin when we're in bed. (she told me later that she had no expectations of where the relationship would go... We both thought I'd be leaving the country in a week for an indeterminate time period)

* Things move fast, and I don't really think to mention poly thing in heat of the moment

* Have beautiful sex

* She asks to stay for another night

* I tell her that's a problem because I have another girl coming over. Then tell her I am polyamorous. (I know, not exactly best way to reveal this)

* She didn't seem shocked. Took her some time to accept it, but she did and all seemed fine.

Problem is, after almost 5 months of being with each other and falling deeply in love (Right now, we're only seeing each other...we simply don't desire to be around others as much), she has revealed to me that the fact that I dropped the bomb (being poly) after taking her virginity and not on the first date, has scarred her to a point that she's insecure and has constant worries that I will do the same mistake again (of telling her an important fact really late).

I know I made a serious mistake. In fact, I didn't even realize I did it until a month ago when she opened up to me & explained it. I can be fairly oblivious.

To make things clear, the problem isn't the polyamory. It is that I told her such a crucial thing after having sex with her (and taking her virginity, no less).

The only thing I want to do now is fix this emotional scar that I have caused. We are more deeply in love than I'd ever thought was possible, and I want to repair this damage.

Can you help me out?

TL:DR Took SO's virginity, then told her I was polyamorous. We love eachother, but she now has a problem trusting me not to hurt her.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Haifisch posted:

I [m21] told my SO [f19] that I was polyamorous after taking her virginity. Mistake. How can we make it better?

What kind of crazy lady actually wants to touch this dirtbag's dick, let alone multiple crazy ladies? I don't get it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Captain Yossarian posted:

I work right on the river here so if you were my friends IRL you would be getting Unsolicited duck picks on the reg

A lot of my friends get unsolicited "hey look at this bug" texts

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Pick posted:

:3:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Pick posted:

Bugs are pure and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Earnestly posted:

Most people have the emotional intelligence of a turnip and can't even handle themselves, much less a conventional relationship, much less a poly one. People vastly overestimate their skills, and that includes genital management