Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

That's coming out of your paycheck.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I interrupt this drama thread to bring you news relevant to this forum

Research Indicates is back

Thank you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOk8jT4Lhck&t=1s

Hey thanks, the LP scene has changed so much I'm putting my toe in the water to see if I'm still into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

Samovar posted:

Why did he never get into voice acting? Oh, it's so dreamy.

I did, that's why I disappeared for so long. I pay my rent with my voice.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Research Indicates posted:

Welcome back! If you don't mind, what kind of projects have you been voicing?

Research Indicates
Apr 11, 2007

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Welcome back! If you don't mind, what kind of projects have you been voicing?

Corporate in-house productions and explainer videos for various businesses. Very dull stuff but plenty of it out here. Next time you need plastic surgery in San Francisco you might hear me again.

I also run a livestream business (live video, not gaming) so I've been hanging on the LP sidelines all this time since the technology and techniques are surprisingly similar.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Corporate in-house productions and explainer videos for various businesses. Very dull stuff but plenty of it out here. Next time you need plastic surgery in San Francisco you might hear me again.

I also run a livestream business (live video, not gaming) so I've been hanging on the LP sidelines all this time since the technology and techniques are surprisingly similar.

Very cool and congrats! I never really thought about who was voicing all my corporate compliance videos...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

So.

WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO FINISH THE CRIMSON SKIES LP?!?!?!?

<joke>

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Don't know how many know ProJared, but i'm linking his gameplay channel in particular here because i like his current playthrough of the old Magic the Gathering:Shandalar game on PC. He is attempting to play on the hardest difficulty mode and i just dig it. He also has a main channel with reviews and stuff that you can find as well.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi7GVfMNROkrw5F2YrdBkNw

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also: Not a racist. Actually a pretty swell dude.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hey thanks, the LP scene has changed so much I'm putting my toe in the water to see if I'm still into it.

I hope you are! A budget game about the American civil war may not be the most interesting thing in the world to me but I've still watched the whole thing so far

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Waffleman_ posted:

Also: Not a racist. Actually a pretty swell dude.

highly valued trait in the age of the milkshake duck

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
bro team played a lovely bf1942 mod again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgCidQJLQfM

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Don't know how many know ProJared, but i'm linking his gameplay channel in particular here because i like his current playthrough of the old Magic the Gathering:Shandalar game on PC. He is attempting to play on the hardest difficulty mode and i just dig it. He also has a main channel with reviews and stuff that you can find as well.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi7GVfMNROkrw5F2YrdBkNw

This game looks pretty fun. Sadly even reading up on what a disaster it is and trying the best tips to mitigate it I can't actually manage to get it to a playable state. Crashes every second time I open the deck-builder and won't save properly (like, I win a card, I save the game, I maybe gently caress around a bit and then the game will crash because of the builder and when I start the game up again the save has reverted to before I got the new card). Weirdly it was actually working decently for like an hour, but then I had a crash and after that the game is acting completely different. It wasn't showing builder properly but it also didn't crash at all for one. I could alt+tab and my actual desktop was still showing in 1080p and everything, but now I can't and the game literally forces my resolution down to 768p and I have to manually change it back after I leave the game. Just tons of stuff from the annoying to the unplayable.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Insurrectionist posted:

This game looks pretty fun. Sadly even reading up on what a disaster it is and trying the best tips to mitigate it I can't actually manage to get it to a playable state. Crashes every second time I open the deck-builder and won't save properly (like, I win a card, I save the game, I maybe gently caress around a bit and then the game will crash because of the builder and when I start the game up again the save has reverted to before I got the new card). Weirdly it was actually working decently for like an hour, but then I had a crash and after that the game is acting completely different. It wasn't showing builder properly but it also didn't crash at all for one. I could alt+tab and my actual desktop was still showing in 1080p and everything, but now I can't and the game literally forces my resolution down to 768p and I have to manually change it back after I leave the game. Just tons of stuff from the annoying to the unplayable.

If Jared was able to get running and was able to stream/record it, why not contact him or leave a comment and ask how he got it set up? I'm not trying to be dismissive and say that it isn't difficult (it sounds pretty frustrating), but maybe there's the chance he'll reply back and give you some info on his setup that'll help you figure out what the issue might be.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Jesus gently caress-Me Christ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxi7CmKoiac

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

What was with his chat and the pizza emotes during that restaurant bit? Did he happen to do something with Pizza lately i'm unaware of?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

What was with his chat and the pizza emotes during that restaurant bit? Did he happen to do something with Pizza lately i'm unaware of?

Another j/o stream perhaps?

Also I think Phil should be happy that google/youtube is as hands off as they are, cause I'm sure someone actually looking at his stuff and going "wow, this guy really likes to insult us doesn't he?" will result in them poo poo canning him.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Phil is right that youtube is a terrible website run by people who have no idea what makes for actually interesting independently made content, but still lol @ him for blaming them that he couldn't keep his 50000000 dollar car

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I think pizza was probably just the easiest "food" emote people had access to.

CJacobs posted:

Phil is right that youtube is a terrible website run by people who have no idea what makes for actually interesting independently made content

Moot point though, cause his content is garbage.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
youtube's entire THING is that they don't make judgements on your content, too

like if you want to see what judgements about content look like, go look at blip's history. they evicted pretty much everything that didn't measure up to their arbitrary designation of 'quality' and then lost all of the remainders to netflix because netflix actually had a monetization strategy that makes sense

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They do definitely nudge people into making the kind of content that will earn them the most money, by earning you practically no money if you deviate from the formula. Youtube's monetization scheme pushes people to create videos that are exactly the right length to fit the max number of ads the site puts on one video, with minutes watched being much more important than actual popularity. If you try to adhere to that your videos are going to end up like Phil's, extremely long for no good reason and completely oversaturated.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 31, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i think the supermajority of all content on youtube isn't even monetized, they certainly don't do a good job of pushing people toward that setup if that's the overall goal

truthfully i don't think it is. i've spoken to the VP of operations at youtube and they make enough to make it worthwhile and not hemorrhage money, but they don't seem overly concerned about making more. the real value they extract out of youtube is the absolute sea of data that user behavior generates on the site. this in turn makes ad placements elsewhere more effective. this is something they can quantify with data, actually.

youtube's a force multiplier for google, all they want it to do is not bleed cash or spike liability. beyond that as long as people keep using it so intensely they could not care less how they're using it.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
NerdCubed just posted something similar about the difficulty and frustrations of trying to figure out what YT considers good content that gets successfully promoted, and just support from YT in general. I'd still rather listen to him complain about it than Phil, though.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Anyone have a recommendation for a Nioh LP? I cant find one on SA, and a cursory search elsewhere just has a bunch of blind playthroughs and day one stream archives. I'd prefer a LP where the player shows off all the game has.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Halibut Barn posted:

NerdCubed just posted something similar about the difficulty and frustrations of trying to figure out what YT considers good content that gets successfully promoted, and just support from YT in general. I'd still rather listen to him complain about it than Phil, though.

He's actually pleasant to listen to.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a Nioh LP? I cant find one on SA, and a cursory search elsewhere just has a bunch of blind playthroughs and day one stream archives. I'd prefer a LP where the player shows off all the game has.

I think Slowbeef's been working his way through Nioh on YouTube, but Slowbeef isn't good at games, so...I don't know?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Slowbeef is situationally good/bad

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Slowbeef is only good at games nobody cares about.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Genocyber did a pretty good blind run: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKmczKLLqKB8lITcSS6p97RHGpUITQ1r9

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
https://youtu.be/onlCuZEn9e4

Jirard (The Completionist) had a falling out with his business partner, Greg, a couple years ago. Now Greg suddenly messaged him wanting any video including him to be removed from Jirard's channels. He's complying and says they're going down at the end of August. Jirard also says he plans to replay almost every game to make new videos for them to replace the content he's removing.

Even though he's trying to have a positive outlook on this, that's gotta be really demoralizing. Losing out on all that content (and revenue from it), and being faced with doing it all over? I've given up on games because I would have had to redo an hour or two of gameplay, and he's looking at re-completing things like Sonic 06 and Skyrim.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://twitter.com/McSquaresville/status/892580003858087936

Greg posted the email he sent to Jirard as well and it's... clinical, to say the least

He also has been posting stuff like this on and off ever since he left the show (company, I guess) so... I would suggest that this is perhaps an emotionally driven decision on his part

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 2, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I can't believe no-one mentioned that the guy making Freeman's Mind 2 confirmed that it wasn't an April Fool's Joke after all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6ivlJpxqwM

Seriously, episode 3 has been out for a while now.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Is Hbomberguy like a youtube bigshot now? One of his videos showed up in my suggested queue and it had like, a million billion views. Unfortunately it wasn't 2 Worlds 2 or anything like that though.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Still waiting for him to finish that Family Guy LP

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I heard that a Nick Robinson from Polygon was in hot water. What's that about? I ask here because I'm genuinely not wanting to jump into the inevitable shite opinion pieces that'll come up on Google.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Samovar posted:

I heard that a Nick Robinson from Polygon was in hot water. What's that about? I ask here because I'm genuinely not wanting to jump into the inevitable shite opinion pieces that'll come up on Google.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1415751

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Samovar posted:

My understanding is that a Twitter spat over the Switch version of Overcooked ended up with a number of women who worked with him disclosing he had creeped on them via Twitter DMs.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Just found out that Egoraptor paired up with uhhh.... ninjasexparty? To make a music album

gently caress it sucks rear end. Every other song talks about whores and sucking dick.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Just found out that Egoraptor paired up with uhhh.... ninjasexparty? To make a music album

gently caress it sucks rear end. Every other song talks about whores and sucking dick.
Not only did they apparently make two albums but they were both relatively popular for whatever poo poo genre of music it's supposed to be.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

discworld is all I read posted:

Not only did they apparently make two albums but they were both relatively popular for whatever poo poo genre of music it's supposed to be.

They had a couple of good songs but christ almighty I do not want to hear some weird "slap peach in the face with my engorged rod" or something to that effect. Top or near top for "comedy" album and somewhere down the list for rap album. :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

discworld is all I read posted:

They recently played at the Hard Rock at Universal Studios Orlando!