Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
hahahahahahaaaaaaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
I love being able to picture the scene just from Jeb's reactions.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Okay it's over. They really should have ended on the funny scene instead of tacking on the Wesley bullshit.

I wonder if the percussion at the beginning that annoyed the Ferengi (that they later used to decode Riker's message) was a callback to the gong that was being played in two of the other episodes that had Troi's mom.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I've just been watching some previous con panels, and it occurs to me that Andy Robinson (I can call him that, I met him so stfu) he could do an awesome Joker. He already has the serial killer chops. How loving great would that be, when he gets rid of that ratty ponytail. Tuck or to and his disgusting presents.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Did they know people hated Wesley at this point? If so it's cruel for them to tease everybody with the idea of him leaving the show.
They were made aware of it fairly early on. Regardless of your opinions of Wil Wheaton today, ya gotta feel a little for the guy. I mean, he was fifteen, he was on Star Trek, and he kept getting fan mail about how much he sucks and finding newsgroups like alt.wesley.crusher.die.die.die. No kid deserves to see that.

Trickjaw posted:

I've just been watching some previous con panels, and it occurs to me that Andy Robinson (I can call him that, I met him so stfu) he could do an awesome Joker. He already has the serial killer chops. How loving great would that be, when he gets rid of that ratty ponytail. Tuck or to and his disgusting presents.
That's probably the exact reason why he would never play the Joker. After Dirty Harry, his performance as the Scorpio Killer essentially became an albatross around his neck, and people kept giving murderer roles. Heck, on DS9 they had to rework the script for "Empok Nor" after Robinson read the first pitch and felt it just had him doing the same old shtick again.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MorgaineDax posted:

I love being able to picture the scene just from Jeb's reactions.

It's a shame they never spun it off into PATRICK STEWART PRESENTS: CAPS-LOCK SHAKESPEARE.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Trip report: DS9 season 3, episode 22 "Explorers"

So my wife is sitting next to me, watching the show properly, getting a kick out of Dukat having to eat crow over the ancient Bajoran astronaut thing, and here I am in Tactical Realism Land going "solar sails don't work like that" :colbert:

Also, let me just take a moment to point out this Starfleet Medical valedictorian is too dumb to even think twice about the fact that Julian loving Bashir isn't an Andorian name.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think that episode has the same stardate as First Contact, and was conceived of as an excuse to not have Sisko on the defiant for that movie.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Bloop posted:

This can't work, because [reasons] but ignore Thomas Riker that was a one-off. And Tuvix. And Rascals.

Thomas Riker is actually really easy, it's like what happened in Mirror Mirror except instead of a mirror universe it's just a slightly different parallel one, and instead of swapping there's just now a universe with two Rikers and one in which Riker tragically vanished during transport and is now MIA.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 5, 2017

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Now that I think about it, the "transporter is murder" argument would hold more water if you were only able to transport from one pad to another. In that case you could argue that each transporter pad functions like a 3D printer following complex instructions and using the available biomatter as filament.
Yeah it's pretty much just "I saw this cool movie, The Prestige, and OBVIOUSLY"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Thomas Riker is actually really easy, it's like what happened in Mirror Mirror except instead of a mirror universe it's just a slightly different parallel one, and instead of swapping there's just now a universe with two Rikers and one in which Riker tragically vanished during transport and is now MIA.

I guess except that's not remotely how they explained it on the show

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Bloop posted:

Whenever something weird happens, Geordi just makes up poo poo about tachyons or w/e and Picard nods and pretends to understand

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Bloop posted:

They also don't say the transporter murders you on the show

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also I feel like anyone willing to really double-down on "transporters must be murder" should be forced to admit that the show is actually entirely holo-simulated and/or hallucinated because FTL is impossible.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

People talk about Move Along Home but Battle Lines and The Storyteller are ties in my mind for the worst episode of DS9 season 1. The Storyteller is clunky and putting Miles and Julian in as the leads doesn't work. Battle Lines is a hamhanded story that serves as a convoluted excuse to write off an unengaging recurring character.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

So my wife is sitting next to me, watching the show properly, getting a kick out of Dukat having to eat crow over the ancient Bajoran astronaut thing, and here I am in Tactical Realism Land going "solar sails don't work like that" :colbert:

Ah, but following the route of ancient Bajorans, they flew that solar sail ship into the Denorios Belt, a subspace wedgie inside the Bajoran system that accelerates particles to warp speeds. That nobody really knew about, like the other anomaly in the Bajoran system that no one knew about.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Arglebargle III posted:

People talk about Move Along Home but Battle Lines and The Storyteller are ties in my mind for the worst episode of DS9 season 1. The Storyteller is clunky and putting Miles and Julian in as the leads doesn't work. Battle Lines is a hamhanded story that serves as a convoluted excuse to write off an unengaging recurring character.

The Storyteller is a lot worse than Move Along Home, it's deadly boring and the effects are crud. Move Along Home falls into the dumb fun category for me, it's definitely got entertainment value. Battle Lines is fine though, I've never had a problem with it or Opaka, I'm always surprised at how many people dislike the character given that she's in all of two episodes. The worst episode from season one in terms of just being a piece of poo poo to watch is either Storyteller or the bizarre murder mystery where a guy clones himself, murders his clone, frames Odo, gets cloned again by Bashir, and then in the end they find out his insane convoluted plan, send the guy to jail and then release his clone into the universe without giving a single gently caress about it. It's complete nonsense.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

cheetah7071 posted:

Whenever something weird happens, Geordi just makes up poo poo about tachyons or w/e and Picard nods and pretends to understand

Even the show's explanation doesn't make sense. The interference splits the transporter beam in two, with one Riker appearing on the ship and the other going back down to the planet...except where did the second Riker's worth of biomatter come from if the transport to the ship still completed? Do transporter pads just keep a barrel of backup fleshsoup handy for technobabble emergencies?

I mean the transporter supposedly breaks your body down into its constituent atoms, converts them to energy, and then shoots them into space. You can't just create extra energy, so, by the show's own rules, what really should have happened was Riker's torso appears on the ship and his legs appear on the planet. Or two identical mini-Rikers appear.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 5, 2017

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Trip report: DS9 season 3, episode 22 "Explorers"

Also, let me just take a moment to point out this Starfleet Medical valedictorian is too dumb to even think twice about the fact that Julian loving Bashir isn't an Andorian name.

It's a nice historical explanation when you think about it.

The cardassians used to be peaceful and on a plentiful world, but then something happened to make cardassia borderline uninhabitable, people started starving, and the military was forced to take over.

and now we find out that the planet got hit by an out of control relativistic space craft

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Opaka isn't the problem with Battle Lines. They have this story hook of people fighting and dying constantly only to come back to life, but our heroes don't get to participate. So the story is about Kira and Bashir fixing a shuttle while extras shoot at each other in an explicitly pointless fight. Sisko and Opaka sit around talking with some guy with a bad prosthetic on his face for the A plot and it goes nowhere. In the end Opaka gets shot, Kira and Bashir fix the shuttle and the characters leave without learning anything or resolving anything. It's a total non-story.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Even the show's explanation doesn't make sense. The interference splits the transporter beam in two, with one Riker appearing on the ship and the other going back down to the planet...except where did the second Riker's worth of biomatter come from if the transport to the ship still completed? Do transporter pads just keep a barrel of backup fleshsoup handy for technobabble emergencies?

This is one of those cases where I'm totally willing to suspend my disbelief. :techno: in service of setting up an interesting story (or at least a potentially interesting story) is fine by me, it's only when :techno: alone is used to resolve a story that it's dumb.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Just watched Homefront/Paradise Lost. Was there a single TV show or movie before 1996 that so well laid out the perils of martial law against undefined threats and terrorism?

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Just watched Homefront/Paradise Lost. Was there a single TV show or movie before 1996 that so well laid out the perils of martial law against undefined threats and terrorism?

1984, Brazil, Z, Fahrenheit 451, V come to mind. And if I remember correctly it was right around 1996 that the plot of Babylon 5 had Earth's government being taken over by a fascist conspiracy using martial law against undefined threats and terrorism.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tunicate posted:

The cardassians used to be peaceful and on a plentiful world, but then something happened to make cardassia borderline uninhabitable, people started starving, and the military was forced to take over.

and now we find out that the planet got hit by an out of control relativistic space craft
Yeah, "forced" to take over. Sure. That's what they tell themselves, I'm certain.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Pakled posted:

This is one of those cases where I'm totally willing to suspend my disbelief. :techno: in service of setting up an interesting story (or at least a potentially interesting story) is fine by me, it's only when :techno: alone is used to resolve a story that it's dumb.

Agreed, I just find it funny that a series that pretends to have consistent science and publishes an official tech manual still tosses its own rules out the window on occasion.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

shadok posted:

1984, Brazil, Z, Fahrenheit 451, V come to mind. And if I remember correctly it was right around 1996 that the plot of Babylon 5 had Earth's government being taken over by a fascist conspiracy using martial law against undefined threats and terrorism.

Those are all crap, DS9 is best

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Tosk is the best alien.

I HAVE NO USE FOR FANTASY ADVENTURE

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Whenever the Enterprise finds a missing science ship I know I'm in for some Weird Sci-fi poo poo.

Today's WSS: something's up with the transporters and Barclay has a blue arm.

Lol Barclay's a hypochondriac and just did the Star trek equivalent of googling symptoms. Now he's groping himself during an engineering meeting and data's like "what a freak"

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Aug 5, 2017

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tunicate posted:

Nice try, but Dukat says at the end they found remains of the original (crash?) landing site. If it hit at relativistic or, worse, warp speed, there'd be nothing left to identify.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

My dad bought the Franklin mint set. Dork.

They made two Franklin Mint sets, in TOS and TNG flavors. You'll never guess why I know this :negative:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
All right I'm gonna complain about Threshold. Not the infinite-speed-turns-you-into-a-salamander stuff, that was so out there it was entertaining.

But there's this rear end in a top hat engineer we met in the previous episode who believes Voyager just needs to give the Kazon all their technology so they'll stop attacking Voyager and let them get on with the journey home. Which is...already dumb because that makes them way more dangerous and doesn't guarantee they won't still attack Voyager to keep other sects from getting the technology. But anyway.

So the first thing this guy does when he hears Tom went to warp 10 is call the Kazon and tell them. Uh why? If it works they can go home in one second and there's no need to appease the Kazon.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Those are all crap, DS9 is best

V rules.

Also, I'm pretty sure 1984 doesn't count as that because Winston is pretty sure there was a nuclear war, then a civil war in the UK, and the Party won the civil war.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
To whoever was asking why the space station in Beyond is named for the battle of Yorktown despite being an apparently non military station: Yorktown was the name of the ship in the original "Star Trek Is..." pitch, the same place the famous "Wagon Train to the stars" line comes from. Pegg probably got it from that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FuturePastNow posted:

Ah, but following the route of ancient Bajorans, they flew that solar sail ship into the Denorios Belt, a subspace wedgie inside the Bajoran system that accelerates particles to warp speeds. That nobody really knew about, like the other anomaly in the Bajoran system that no one knew about.

That bit's fine, it's regular solar sailing that's way way wrong.

But hey, Star Trek.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

VitalSigns posted:

All right I'm gonna complain about Threshold. Not the infinite-speed-turns-you-into-a-salamander stuff, that was so out there it was entertaining.

But there's this rear end in a top hat engineer we met in the previous episode who believes Voyager just needs to give the Kazon all their technology so they'll stop attacking Voyager and let them get on with the journey home. Which is...already dumb because that makes them way more dangerous and doesn't guarantee they won't still attack Voyager to keep other sects from getting the technology. But anyway.

So the first thing this guy does when he hears Tom went to warp 10 is call the Kazon and tell them. Uh why? If it works they can go home in one second and there's no need to appease the Kazon.

They also could have solved all their problems with the Kazon if they just gave them the tech for Warp 10, and told them, this only works if EVERYONE GOES AT ONCE.
Boom, whole race is a bunch of salamanders, problem solved.
I know the EMH said some BS about Tom evolving, but since that's not how evolution actually works, it's clear the end result of going to warp 10 is mutating into a big wet lizard-frog. Says something really profound about the universe, I guess.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Kazon were too stupid to live. They had FTL space travel and somehow couldn't find water, possibly the most abundant molecule in the universe.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

McSpanky posted:

They made two Franklin Mint sets, in TOS and TNG flavors. You'll never guess why I know this :negative:

Which is the blue one with silver/gold pieces and horses that couldn't hold their heads up?

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

That bit's fine, it's regular solar sailing that's way way wrong.

I like the part where they tack to change course.

By pulling in the sails with a hand crank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

shadok posted:

it was right around 1996 that the plot of Babylon 5 had Earth's government being taken over by a fascist conspiracy using martial law against undefined threats and terrorism.

And Robert Foxworthy was playing basically the same character in DS9 and B5. He was killed off on B5 when both storylines were being filmed simultaneously because he went with the appearance on DS9.