Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

BiggerBoat posted:

EDIT: Also, I wonder why there's never been a Thor game. I could see that being incredibly fun if you did it God of War style and put him in all these crazy locations.

The first Thor movie got a tie-in game and it was pretty rough.

I think this was the last movie tie-in game Marvel made before realizing they weren't worth the effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Phase one all had tie in games, and Avengers was going to but it was cancelled.

They were all as bad as you would expect and why it stopped.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Captain America game was good. Sure, it was an Arkham rip off, but it was one of the better ones.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Aphrodite posted:

Phase one all had tie in games, and Avengers was going to but it was cancelled.

They were all as bad as you would expect and why it stopped.

The Avengers had a flash-player tie in game on Facebook, called Avengers Alliance.

And no joke, just like the Injustice Comic, it was literally 10 billion times better than you would assume based on that summary. That game was aces and ran for about five or six years.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The first thing I think of for a Thor game is classic Thor and forced stealth sections. If you get trashed as Thor it's interpreted as you losing Mjolnir for too long and you revert back to Donald Blake, who has to hobble around sneakily to get back to his cane to transform back into Thor. Not even saying it's a good idea, that's just how "Thor" and "videogame" linked in my mind.

I guess the obvious idea is God of War Thunder but I'd rather play something more like Gauntlet Asgard Legends.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

The Avengers had a flash-player tie in game on Facebook, called Avengers Alliance.

And no joke, just like the Injustice Comic, it was literally 10 billion times better than you would assume based on that summary. That game was aces and ran for about five or six years.

Avengers Alliance wasn't in the MCU though. They referenced it plenty but it had X-Men and the Fantastic Four.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

JordanKai posted:

The first Thor movie got a tie-in game and it was pretty rough.

I think this was the last movie tie-in game Marvel made before realizing they weren't worth the effort.

The DS version of that game at least has very nice pixel art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weubQZI8sbI

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

The first thing I think of for a Thor game is classic Thor and forced stealth sections. If you get trashed as Thor it's interpreted as you losing Mjolnir for too long and you revert back to Donald Blake, who has to hobble around sneakily to get back to his cane to transform back into Thor. Not even saying it's a good idea, that's just how "Thor" and "videogame" linked in my mind.

I guess the obvious idea is God of War Thunder but I'd rather play something more like Gauntlet Asgard Legends.

Didn't the Hulk movie game do this but with Banner?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Gaz-L posted:

I know a Hulk game on the Genesis did it but it was pretty bad and often resulted in Game Overs

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Supposedly Chris Evans and the Russo bros all played the Cap game and used it as a basis for his fighting style in Winter Soldier.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Gaz-L posted:

The 2003 Hulk game had levels where you played as Banner, but I only played a little bit of the demo at a kiosk so I can't comment on how it played out.

I kinda wish the Captain America game came out on PC, it'd be nice to have something while waiting for that Damian Batman game, and as others have said, I've heard it's decent.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hulk Ultimate Destruction allows you to unlock The Savage Banner, which for gameplay reasons can do everything Hulk can, just smaller.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

JordanKai posted:

I think it has a lot more to do with how the console market changed. If you're going to do a cheap tie-in game these days, it's going to be on mobile.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I was interested to see what they were going to do with the Daredevil game.

I know the joke is "it'll just be a black screen" but I was picturing something like Arkham's detective vision thingy only more evolved. Like you'd get a sort of a basic, generic radar but then could choose to focus on hearing, smell, touch, etc. That would be your "powers wheel" and depending on what you equipped, you'd "see" different things that would solve puzzles and poo poo or lead to clues.

Then basically mirror Arkham's combat system but tailor it to DD. Side missions like find Turk, Stilt Man and the Jester, cameos by Spiderman, Luke and Danny. Boss battles with Bullseye, Kingpin, Elektra, Punisher, Owl and Gladiator. You could even add in some courtroom stuff where you use your powers. to solve cases.

I think it'd be pretty cool.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I would totally play some kind of ungodly combination of Phoenix Wright and Final Fight starring Daredevil.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Lurdiak posted:

I would totally play some kind of ungodly combination of Phoenix Wright and Final Fight starring Daredevil.

Here's an interesting little video on the DD game they tried and also a trailer or something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF8AEtKXwEA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSNgXKCwLwo

Looks incredibly lovely but like they were on track in a lot of ways and WAY off on others (grinding like Tony Hawk as a staple?), but I think with modern hardware they could do something really cool with it. And DD has sort of moved up to A-List now with the Netflix show so it's more marketable.

I see it as something like a cross between Arkham, Spiderman and GTA with a little bit of role playing thrown in. Courtroom stuff would be cool diversion. You could do a lot of really cool poo poo with the radar and the different heightened senses. Have Stick be the "trainer" where you visit him to unlock higher jumps, new combos and more speed or whatever. Let the isolation tank in Matt's apartment be where you heal up.

You could add in side missions with Ben Urich as a catalyst. The Arkham style challenge missions could be really cool too. I really love the Arkham games and think you could ape them well enough but still add enough new poo poo to make it kick rear end and not too derivative.

EDIT; Holy poo poo. There's a DD Arkham mod someone made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W5s9HawCZo

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 7, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
New episode of Batman is out. I'm still mostly enjoying it, and the new 'relationship' shtick is kind of neat in that it gives you and idea of how different characters are disposed by the end of the ep. It is a little silly how hard they both try to swerve comics fans (By say, killing off the Riddler, and having Harley apparently have her origin independent of the Joker) while trying to act like some 'twists' are a shock to the viewer when any fan would see them coming a mile away (Waller knowing Bruce's identity)
It's kind of confused in what audience they're aiming for, in a way that other properties they do aren't.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like the Batman game. They're clearly just building their own mythos and it's fine with me. I'm also trying to make Bruce and John best friends.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Some of the rouges being focused Bruce rather than Bats is potentially a interesting take. Considering there is a 'Batman is responsible for creating half the enemies he fights' argument, I do wonder if any of the usual rouges are going to show up, not interact with Bats, and just end up 'cured' by Bruces actions alone.

It's fun. Bruce isn't enough of an rear end in a top hat whilst Bruce but around only Bat family members to me, and I don't like how the Batman is an idiot, when I'm an idiot but eh, nitpicks.

I take it Bats has the more advanced suit in this one if you went after Penguin first in the previous game?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Paused posted:

Some of the rouges being focused Bruce rather than Bats is potentially a interesting take. Considering there is a 'Batman is responsible for creating half the enemies he fights' argument, I do wonder if any of the usual rouges are going to show up, not interact with Bats, and just end up 'cured' by Bruces actions alone.

It's fun. Bruce isn't enough of an rear end in a top hat whilst Bruce but around only Bat family members to me, and I don't like how the Batman is an idiot, when I'm an idiot but eh, nitpicks.

I take it Bats has the more advanced suit in this one if you went after Penguin first in the previous game?

Yes.

And it seems like where the first season had the 'are you the heroic guardian or the brutal vigilante' dichotomy with the game's approach to Batman, this season seems to be whether Bruce is a loner who won't endanger anyone else, or someone who'll build a new family to fulfil his mission.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I suppose it's not Telltale's fault, but it's too soon for another Batman property to be throwing Harley and Waller and Joker at me. Though all the talk of Bat Family always perks my ears up. I love me some sidekicks.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Telltale are the ones who decided this should be yet another Year One, so it is their fault.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SonicRulez posted:

Though all the talk of Bat Family always perks my ears up. I love me some sidekicks.
Yeah, it's making me interested too. Bruce as a Bat-Patriarch is one of my favourite versions of the character.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Codependent Poster posted:

I like the Batman game. They're clearly just building their own mythos and it's fine with me. I'm also trying to make Bruce and John best friends.

I'd be okay with their dumb gimmicks and plot deaths if this was actually possible and John could straight up become your partner that you have to be very careful making sure he doesn't take a joke too far but strive to be good for you. Like if you're going to have him there and open to be actually malleable, use that. Otherwise its just Telltale's antics circling the drain with how they're actually making this play-by-play YOUR RELATIONSHIP/X'S PERSONALITY HAS SHIFTED endings seem pointless.

Otherwise, the only thing I'm interested in the possibility that Harley creates John Doe in some way. And not in the obvious way that she makes him become who we know he is, but more that she's making people like John and there are more of him out there.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 12, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

While I can't call anything in the first season "original" or "interesting", they have shown that they're not married to traditional Batman mythos, so I guess they could do something interesting and new with those characters. But after how loving lame Joker was in the first season, I'm not holding my goddamn breath.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the take on Bruce's parents in the first season was pretty interesting and original even if they lost the execution a bit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I think the take on Bruce's parents in the first season was pretty interesting and original even if they lost the execution a bit.

That's one of the things I was referring to, yeah. That whole affair was somewhat weakened because most players spent the entire game waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I haven't finished the first season but I did like the Batmobile.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I haven't finished the first season but I did like the Batmobile.

The car is great, and I kind of love how into it Bruce is. There's an interaction option with it in the Batcave in S2, and it's just him sighing happily at the engine sound.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So from the silhouettes in telltale batman's episode previews the pact is Joker, Harley, Bane, and Mr. Freeze right?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The first season was godawful with the whole vicky vale thing and people being instantly cool with the sons of arkham despite the fact they murdered two people on live tv (one being just a debate moderator).

not to mention harvey goes from "somewhat normal guy" to completely paranoid nutbar in the span of one episode.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Monaghan posted:

The first season was godawful with the whole vicky vale thing and people being instantly cool with the sons of arkham despite the fact they murdered two people on live tv (one being just a debate moderator).

Uhhhh that never happened. Everyone was afraid of and thought the Children of Arkham were criminals.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm honestly more excited for Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 than I probably should be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOPsFCr9rUo

These games are always really basic but I just keep managing to get sucked in to doing 100% every time when I buy one.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Roth posted:

I'm honestly more excited for Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 than I probably should be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOPsFCr9rUo

These games are always really basic but I just keep managing to get sucked in to doing 100% every time when I buy one.

Already preordered. It's nice to have something I can play with my 5 year old and he loves all the lego ones

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I'm bad at fighting games and only played the first Injustice a grand total of about 2 hours after I bought it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2_Xq17UIig

But I'll probably buy this.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i just cant wait to have hellboy beat the poo poo out of superman, honestly

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Unexpected but great

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Does Hellboy count as magic vis a vis Superman's weakness to it?

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
C'mon NetherRealm, just gimme Monarch, Kamandi, Wesley Dodds and a bunch of other random people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

SleepCousinDeath posted:

C'mon NetherRealm, just gimme Monarch, Kamandi, Wesley Dodds and a bunch of other random people.

Injustice 2 would be an absolute must buy if you could play as the Monarch, for sure.