Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Quinntan posted:

Hi, I'm looking for a new team (and sport) to follow now that soccer has truly gone off the deep end with money. However, the soccer club that I support has always struggled with kinda rubbish ownership, retaining any players that show even a glimpse of promise and overall has been a bit of a misery circus after I started supporting them as a kid back in 2000 or so. What team fits that bill in the NBA so I know not to repeat the mistake?

The Chicago Bulls and the New York Knicks fit that bill, but if you want to root for a team that is historically like that but now shows a tiny glimmer of promise, try the Sacramento Kings or the Brooklyn Nets

Whichever color scheme you like more really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Quinntan posted:

Hi, I'm looking for a new team (and sport) to follow now that soccer has truly gone off the deep end with money. However, the soccer club that I support has always struggled with kinda rubbish ownership, retaining any players that show even a glimpse of promise and overall has been a bit of a misery circus after I started supporting them as a kid back in 2000 or so. What team fits that bill in the NBA so I know not to repeat the mistake?

The Sacramento Kings and Orlando Magic. If you want a team that sucks as bad as those but gets to disappoint millions more people annually, the New York Knicks.

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy

Quinntan posted:

Or Dallas. They're going to be fun to watch, (probably) not great so you aren't band-wagoning, and whatever your opinion on Cuban, I think by most accounts he's a pretty good owner. And the players are pretty likeable, if that matters to you; it does to me, at least somewhat.

This is the first year I've been really into it, since I've really fallen out of great interest in football. All of the concussion/CTE stuff puts me off, which is not something I would've guessed/told you before it came out.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Quinntan posted:

Tons of money in soccer is not a recent development.

You should root for the Memphis Grizzlies. Conley and Parsons combined are making Neymar money. Conley passes as crisp as David Silva. Parsons is regularly as healthy as Jack Wilshire.

Hope that helps.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Your best bet is probably the Spurs, they're the best-run franchise in basketball (and maybe sports), aren't the front runners but finish top-5 every year, and have a few exciting players

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Quinntan posted:

NBA basketball has rules and regulations in place that keep the playing field largely level. Being a "cheap" vs "not-cheap" owners usually comes down to marginal players, not stars. How savvy and intelligent your ownership and front office is makes way more difference than how deep their pockets are. The current dominating team, Golden State, has one of the less rich owners with a team that has historically not been a successful franchise. They made some really good bets on players, offered smart contracts, and had some really, really lucky breaks. The owner everyone is complaining about the most, Dan Gilbert of the Cavaliers, literally has the most expensive payroll now multiple years in a row.

If you want smart ownership, the Spurs are that by a mile. They are going to be really good every year and might have the best player in the game right now in Kawhi Leonard. They might be on a slight downturn right now though, but we've thought that before and they've bounced back with championship-calibre seasons so who knows.

Miami is usually pretty savvy, but they've had trouble getting things going lately. Timberwolves were a terrible dumb team for a long time but they managed to draft a couple great players, got a really good coach (who is also managing trades and draft), and completely robbed another team of a top-15 player. They will be a fun, pretty young team that has all the pieces to take the next leap, but it may take some time to get there.

Houston has also been putting some great moves together and play an unconventional "basically only look for 3s, dunks and free throw" game that was really successful in the regular season but got stomped on by a Spurs team that sorta goes the opposite. But they just robbed another team of a top-10 player out of nowhere so they'll be exciting.

Boston is also a well run team that has a whole bunch of "really good" type guys plus a 5'9" maybe-he-is-a-superstar-but-man-he-is-short guy that had a real good run last year. They added another "do everything" type guy last season who is really good but not a transcendent superstar the rest of the contenders have. They still have lots of young assets too so they might do something big.

Or just front runner follow and watch Golden State. People on this board will bitch because they hate success but Golden State has been making everyone look like idiots and will very likely be the champ again.

Dumb teams include: The Bulls (one of the robbed teams), Knicks, Orlando, Maybe the Lakers, Nets (though their dumb mistake was a few years ago, what they've done since then has been alright), maybe Sacramento but they are basically young and bad (which is fine).

If you want a train-wreck team watch the Bulls.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Be a Kings fan because I will take you to a bunch of games and you'll have a great time

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Join me in my Pelicans fandom. We have two of the best bigs in the game, a solid combo guard, and a whole bunch of mismatched parts. Lots of hungry guys. Lots of potential for literally everyone to fall apart as if their joints were connected by bubble gum. We also have the best mascot in professional sports, though he is only seasonal.

:nws:

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Is anyone watching this team Africa vs. Team world game right now?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

WhyteRyce posted:

Be a Kings fan because I will take you to a bunch of games and you'll have a great time

Kings also have the best color scheme in the league, imo.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

Is anyone watching this team Africa vs. Team world game right now?

Looks like it doesn't start until 4 pm CST on NBA TV? Or is it on another channel live right now that I can't find?

e: on ESPN2 and WatchESPN

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Kibner posted:

Kings also have the best color scheme in the league, imo.

Purple and white...

I'd rather have a bunch of teams over that including some lame boring options like the Lakers or Knicks. Actually gently caress that, Orange and Blue are the tightest jerseys color schemes in the league. It's literally the one thing going for the Knicks franchise.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Doltos posted:

Purple and white...

I'd rather have a bunch of teams over that including some lame boring options like the Lakers or Knicks. Actually gently caress that, Orange and Blue are the tightest jerseys color schemes in the league. It's literally the one thing going for the Knicks franchise.

And I think orange and blue is quite ugly. Lakers colors are pretty good, though.

I like purple and don't like orange, though. Powder blue is also overrated for my tastes.

I know a lot of people will think these are terrible opinions, and that's ok. Those people are entitled to their terrible opinions on team color schemes, too.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Sacramento has the best color scheme, hopefully they'll get a team worth caring about one day.

Follow the Bulls. The Markksman will carry them to an 82-win season, "markk" my words.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/samstaydipped/status/893305866039853056

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Kibner posted:

Join me in my Pelicans fandom. We have two of the best bigs in the game, a solid combo guard, and a whole bunch of mismatched parts. Lots of hungry guys. Lots of potential for literally everyone to fall apart as if their joints were connected by bubble gum. We also have the best mascot in professional sports, though he is only seasonal.

:nws:
No Kibner...you had the best mascot in professional sports. Then ya threw him away!

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

If I was new and didn't live in any NBA market I'd probably be a fan of the 76ers. They're EXTREMELY young right now, and have tons of potential. They'll probably lose more games than win them this year, but that likely won't be the case next year. They're going to get really good over the next few years.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Just root for the Warriors

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

It would be the most fun for everyone else if you cheered for the Knicks.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Be a Knicks fan. You get a lovable European to cheer for as he blossoms into a star. You get an aging selfish gunner who you can boo as he wastes possessions. You get a comically inept billionaire owner who makes the wrong decision literally every time he has a chance to. Join us.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Quinntan posted:

Trust the Process my friend

Trust the process

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

RCarr posted:

Be a Knicks fan. You get a lovable European to cheer for as he blossoms into a star. You get an aging selfish gunner who you can boo as he wastes possessions. You get a comically inept billionaire owner who makes the wrong decision literally every time he has a chance to. Join us.

This isn't cool man don't push the Knicks on new people you'll ruin their lives

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Doltos posted:

This isn't cool man don't push the Knicks on new people you'll ruin their lives

Shhhh let him figure it out on his own!

Have I mentioned we play at "THE MECCA OF BASKETBALL"???

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

You ought to pick the Sacramento Kings, because they're too sweet, and 4-life.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
root for the Bulls.

The best player of all time played for us.

6 motherfucking banners.

Our front office is so popular that fans buy billboards in their honor.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Root for the Bucks if you want to see one of the most unreal 22 year olds to play the game. You get an up and coming team that will probably flame out to dysfunctional ownership, but not so dysfunctional that they may actually overcome it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Root for the Mavs and you will get to see Dennis Smith Jr's rookie of the year campaign.

If you want to watch a contender your choices are: The Golden State Warriors.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Trust the Process my friend

Trust the process

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Dexo posted:

root for the Bulls.

The best player of all time played for us.

LeBron spurned Chicago for Miami though???

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Ah, to be unhindered by a local connection that makes you root for a poorly owned team that will never win a thing.

Boston also has a very good and handsome coach to add to the positives.

Minnesota and Philly are both stuffed with good, young players that may or may not put it all together.

Spurs was a excellent recommendation as they have the best coach in the game, as well as one of the top players that also shows no emotion. They are the example of a small market being smart.

But if you think you may visit the states one day to watch them play, go with Kibner and the Pels, then you have an excuse to go to NOLA, eat great food, party, and oh yeah watch a basketball game.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Eltoasto posted:

Ah, to be unhindered by a local connection that makes you root for a poorly owned team that will never win a thing.

Boston also has a very good and handsome coach to add to the positives.

Minnesota and Philly are both stuffed with good, young players that may or may not put it all together.

Spurs was a excellent recommendation as they have the best coach in the game, as well as one of the top players that also shows no emotion. They are the example of a small market being smart.

But if you think you may visit the states one day to watch them play, go with Kibner and the Pels, then you have an excuse to go to NOLA, eat great food, party, and oh yeah watch a basketball game.

Goons and New Orleans are a mixed bag. You might have a great time, eat great food, see historical sights. Or you might get locked in a crack house.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

ChickenMedium posted:

Goons and New Orleans are a mixed bag. You might have a great time, eat great food, see historical sights. Or you might get locked in a crack house.

These are not mutually exclusive experiences in New Orleans.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Idk why anyone would root for anyone besides the greatest organization in league, the Oklahoma City Thunder, but you do you.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Reminder that the thunder were co-owned by a shady corrupt energy magnate who faked his own death to escape federal prosecution

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Ammanas posted:

Reminder that the thunder were co-owned by a shady corrupt energy magnate who faked his own death to escape federal prosecution

Turn Left Aubrey No!!!!!!!!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Ammanas posted:

Yeah Aubrey loving rules

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Ammanas posted:

Wait, he faked his own death? I knew the rest of the story, I just assumed he straight-up died trying to escape or committed suicide by car.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Ammanas posted:

Actually it's every single post of yours that's a reminder. A reminder of what an rear end in a top hat you are.

Power of Pecota posted:

Wait, he faked his own death? I knew the rest of the story, I just assumed he straight-up died trying to escape or committed suicide by car.

He took fakery to a whole new level.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Yeah he was driving home and checked his Twitter feed and @fbi was like ur indicted and he just went lol gently caress it and ran his car into an overpass. how gullible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Power of Pecota posted:

There's a belief that he did because the car that was crashed was not his usual car and the bridge being empty was too convenient

• Locked thread