Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Deep Thoreau posted:

So I've been trying to google it, but haven't found any useful info. I figure I should learn to do basic maintenance on my bike. What needs to be done regularly and can be done by someone with no real experience working on a vehicle? I know about keeping the gear chain lubed, but what else is a must to do? If it helps, I have a 2016 ninja 300.

Start with an oil change. Besides the chain, you'll be doing that the most if you ride any amount at all. This will also get you comfortable with removing the fairings, peeking about engine while the oil is draining, and give you a better idea of what is what and where so that you can tackle other projects down the line. You can move on to things like air filter, coolant and brake fluid changes after you get some grease under your nails.

tjones fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Deep Thoreau posted:

So I've been trying to google it, but haven't found any useful info. I figure I should learn to do basic maintenance on my bike. What needs to be done regularly and can be done by someone with no real experience working on a vehicle? I know about keeping the gear chain lubed, but what else is a must to do? If it helps, I have a 2016 ninja 300.

https://www.manualslib.com/download/804530/Kawasaki-Ninja-300.html

Like TJones says, start with doing an oil change. They are very, very simple.

I Googled "Ninja 300 service manual" and without looking at all 617 pages in the PDF that link looks to be the real deal. There will be step-by-step instructions on doing any and all regular maintenance on your bike in there.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Deep Thoreau posted:

What [...] can be done by someone with no real experience working on a vehicle?

I can personally attest that you can do just about everything on a motorcycle with no prior experience or knowledge. Other than the usual maintenance, just tackle any problems or replacement needs as they come up. Research the issue, find a youtube video showing how to do it, watch that a couple times, then go do it. Take your time, buy the tools as you need them, and follow the directions.

Get a bunch of nitrile gloves, and a headlamp. :)

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I've been experiencing something weird with my Reserve setting. ON works fine, but RES makes the bike buck and surge like it's running out of gas, even with a full tank. Could RES's inlet tube be... ..clogged or what? (How could that happen to just the RES tube? It's weird that ON works fine and RES doesn't.)

The bike is a typical Ninjette.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Slide Hammer posted:

I've been experiencing something weird with my Reserve setting. ON works fine, but RES makes the bike buck and surge like it's running out of gas, even with a full tank. Could RES's inlet tube be... ..clogged or what? (How could that happen to just the RES tube? It's weird that ON works fine and RES doesn't.)

The bike is a typical Ninjette.

If it's the same design I looked up for the 1999 ninja 250, there are two physical inlet tubes, the reserve one is just shorter. I can easily see some muck or debris being stirred off the bottom and getting sucked into the reserve inlet tube. They are relatively easy to take off and inspect, and the rebuild kits are generally cheap.

Most of the links are out of date, but the advice isn't bad.
https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Rebuilding_the_petcock/fuel_tap

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 5, 2017

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Coydog posted:

I can personally attest that you can do just about everything on a motorcycle with no prior experience or knowledge.

Tools

What the second sentence infers: all and everything related to maintainance is the right tools to make it easy enough. Sadly knowing when a Special Tool (tm) is actually needed is part of the learning process per bike platform.

Ridgewell
Apr 29, 2009

Ai tolja tahitta ferlip inbaul intada oh'l! Andatdohn meenis ferlip ineer oh'l!

Slavvy posted:

The fact that you're thinking about it at all means you'll be fine. Just don't overdo it and maybe don't jump on something really big and heavy straight away; your judgement will still be the same but your muscle memory for not falling over might be a little rusty.

Thanks for the encouragement. :) I look forward to riding again. (I just did a trial riding day in spring and rode some scooters.)

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I installed the cheap china LED here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LCWET42/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fits great in an fz07 and came with mounting hardware for anything I can imagine. The instructions are bad but not needed since you need to take out the old bulb anyways and you do that in reverse when putting in the new.

Im holding onto my old bulb just in case but its super bright and white. The cutoff on the lights is really sharp and no one has flashed their lights at me yet. Mine have a little fan on the backside which I imagine is a common failure point but at under $20 I can live with it. If there was a fanless heatsink only version I would definitely buy that next time

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Fauxtool posted:

fine with vibration compared to any filament bulb. The increased light output usually more than makes up for the lowered reflector focus.

The $70 kits are the same as the $30-50 kits for the most part, just stay away from the $20 ones. They are all from the same sources in China, the differences are in the quality control and the housing and heat sinks

depending on the electronics in your bike you may get an error code since the LED wont draw as much power

I disagree with this statement. This is essentially like saying "all smartphones are the same just get the cheapest thing it's the same as a new Samsung". Have you personally used the $70 ones, like cyclops? There is a difference between "looks bright" and actually being better than the stock incan. All LED's are not the same, nor are the drivers, or how well the design works with reflectors. Yeah, it's still china, but it's a pretty complex item and the money pays for better product.

Plus the slight nuetral white tint on the new 7000lum cyclops really makes a difference.

Based on your statement, I just picked up these, and can attest that they are basically useless, though they work ok with my reflector. Neat idea, though, and build quality looks good. They just aren't close to how good the stock bulb is, which isn't very good to begin with.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K1W8X6Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

My wife has ridden a bit on her 82 kawasaki csr 305. She has her m endorsement but the csr carbs are shot and the exhaust valves seals are bad so it smokes.

Rather than try to fix it she wants to get a rebel 500. Based on her limited experience I think the ABS is worth having. She wants a yellow tank which isn't an option w/abs.

1. Is there any cheap dealers in chicagoland worth getting quotes or websites that will find a better price? I know when we got her car we paid for the consumer reports price guide and they emailed every dealer near us. The local dealer wanted 32k but one of the chicago dealers emailed us and gave us an internet price of 26k. Not sure if the same thing exists for bikes.

2. Obviously paint is an option but if she wanted to buy a yellow tank and swap it is there a cheap honda parts souce I should check?

3. Anything about the rebel 500 that would make it a bad choice? I know it's a new model and I haven't been that up on bikes in a few years so I don't know anything about it.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Coydog posted:

I can't emphasize enough how many gloves you'll go through, or how much light you'll need, but seriously don't skimp on either.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

my turn in the barrel posted:

My wife has ridden a bit on her 82 kawasaki csr 305. She has her m endorsement but the csr carbs are shot and the exhaust valves seals are bad so it smokes.

Rather than try to fix it she wants to get a rebel 500. Based on her limited experience I think the ABS is worth having. She wants a yellow tank which isn't an option w/abs.

1. Is there any cheap dealers in chicagoland worth getting quotes or websites that will find a better price? I know when we got her car we paid for the consumer reports price guide and they emailed every dealer near us. The local dealer wanted 32k but one of the chicago dealers emailed us and gave us an internet price of 26k. Not sure if the same thing exists for bikes.

2. Obviously paint is an option but if she wanted to buy a yellow tank and swap it is there a cheap honda parts souce I should check?

3. Anything about the rebel 500 that would make it a bad choice? I know it's a new model and I haven't been that up on bikes in a few years so I don't know anything about it.

Talk with the folks at Fox Valley cycles in Aurora Illinois. When I lived out there, they were the only Honda motorcycle dealer between Naperville/Aurora and they were usually more than happy to make a sale. They are also family run and at least used to have an awesome parts department.

For the tank, find someone that'll do a wrap for you and get a right sized Honda decal for i. Maybe do some good prep work (fairly easy on a new tank) and plasti-dip it?

I haven't heard anything too terrible about the Rebel 500 though there a bunch of reviews.

Fortnine did two:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiWVYzcup5M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bRqMspMCZM

revzilla:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ekKy8Mt24A

motorcycle.com:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaWoLHLx0l8

cycle news:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yMQX3eDC8U

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Aug 6, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Deep Thoreau posted:

Lube chain regularly
Change oil once a year (or whatever x miles the manual tells you if you ride a lot of miles per year)
Change coolant whenever the manual tells you.
Put the battery on a tender if you're not going to ride for a few weeks or more.
Check the tire pressure often.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Coydog posted:

I disagree with this statement. This is essentially like saying "all smartphones are the same just get the cheapest thing it's the same as a new Samsung". Have you personally used the $70 ones, like cyclops? There is a difference between "looks bright" and actually being better than the stock incan. All LED's are not the same, nor are the drivers, or how well the design works with reflectors. Yeah, it's still china, but it's a pretty complex item and the money pays for better product.

Plus the slight nuetral white tint on the new 7000lum cyclops really makes a difference.

Based on your statement, I just picked up these, and can attest that they are basically useless, though they work ok with my reflector. Neat idea, though, and build quality looks good. They just aren't close to how good the stock bulb is, which isn't very good to begin with.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K1W8X6Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Maybe you should have read my whole statement before basing your choice on an incomplete understanding. I can tell just from the listing its crap. If you wanted it to work with your projector/reflector try one of the 2 that was actually recommended, those had more than 2 sides throwing light. My recommendations were general rules of thumb not absolutes.

If you wanted it to mimic the incan bulb it replaced, pick one that mimics the way it puts out light in all directions. If you wanted to mimic the cyclops kit, pick one with a similar amount of LEDs in the same arrangement with a similar lumen rating. You picked neither and thats what you got.

disagree all you like but the LED "bulb" is literally identical in the cyclops to several chinese models. The cyclops light has a more robust housing and power delivery. Its higher quality but not 3 times the price better. Im suspicious that you think there is such a thing as a white tint.

Having disassembled about 6 different ones of various price points including an H4 cyclops kit they are generally the same components in different arrangements. Where do you think cyclops is sourcing their components? Its not the US. The parts that fail QC dont always get tossed, they are often repackaged into off brand kits which is why they can be so hit or miss

There are many devices where the chinese version is just as good as the premium one because its effectively the same thing from the same factory. Several of the $40 bluetooth headsets on amazon are just a sena SMH10 with a different casing. The button placement and the internals are identical. It even has the same voice prompts and pairs with phones as a sena

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 6, 2017

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz posted:

That's a wear bar showing so yeah, 4,000 miles isn't in your future. Pilot Road 4s - I like the Pirelli Angel GTs too.

Quotin' again this to say godDAMN.

The Pirellis feel amazing. Overnight shipping on an '08 Super Duke axle and I'm back on the road!

Also I'm getting p good at popping that rear on and off now.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Fauxtool posted:

Maybe you should have read my whole statement before basing your choice on an incomplete understanding. I can tell just from the listing its crap. If you wanted it to work with your projector/reflector try one of the 2 that was actually recommended, those had more than 2 sides throwing light. My recommendations were general rules of thumb not absolutes.

If you wanted it to mimic the incan bulb it replaced, pick one that mimics the way it puts out light in all directions. If you wanted to mimic the cyclops kit, pick one with a similar amount of LEDs in the same arrangement with a similar lumen rating. You picked neither and thats what you got.

disagree all you like but the LED "bulb" is literally identical in the cyclops to several chinese models. The cyclops light has a more robust housing and power delivery. Its higher quality but not 3 times the price better. Im suspicious that you think there is such a thing as a white tint.

Having disassembled about 6 different ones of various price points including an H4 cyclops kit they are generally the same components in different arrangements. Where do you think cyclops is sourcing their components? Its not the US. The parts that fail QC dont always get tossed, they are often repackaged into off brand kits which is why they can be so hit or miss

There are many devices where the chinese version is just as good as the premium one because its effectively the same thing from the same factory. Several of the $40 bluetooth headsets on amazon are just a sena SMH10 with a different casing. The button placement and the internals are identical. It even has the same voice prompts and pairs with phones as a sena

I did read your whole statement, and really am fascinated to discuss this with you without being at odds. You seem to have an equal interest in it. That's why I said I disagreed with you, rather than calling you a pants on head idiot that doesn't know an LED from some refuse you picked up in a ditch somewhere.

I knew my bulb was probably going to be garbage, but so few use warm tints that I thought it would be novel. Plus I was hoping for an all warm white high beam. A lost cause. I know your bulb is garbage from the listing, too. What even are those LEDs? Some surface mount garbage for behind signage or something?

I'm interested to see beamshots of that bulb, but you don't necessarily need to have them on all sides like that. Bare LED's like a lot of these use are full wide angle, and spread light over most of the 180 degrees. I can see it being enough to have one on either side, and have seen this in reality, too.

Tint on white LEDs is A Thing and has been A Thing since at least the 90s when I got into this stuff. Nuetral white tint is really great, if you can find it. Still white and bright, but has excellent color rendition, while being easy on the eyes. The new 7000 lum cyclops uses some nuetral white, and it's great.

Not all LEDs and drivers are the same. Better components mean more output. When 3x the price is just 70 vs 25, I have no problem paying it. You aren't always getting ripped off. You are getting a better product. Why even switch to LED if you are only after "just ok" lighting? Who wants "just ok" lighting on a motorcycle? I'm with you on being able to get good stuff from china for less than the rebrand. Sometimes the china light under the brand is a unique and better product, though.

Now, my turn signals that are rock lights? $9 each from here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XZLZ4ZW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
But $65 each from here with some fancy lettering painted on https://www.amazon.com/Rigid-Industries-40020-White-Lights/dp/B00GY6MTFI

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

Coydog posted:

Now, my turn signals that are rock lights? $9 each from here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XZLZ4ZW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
But $65 each from here with some fancy lettering painted on https://www.amazon.com/Rigid-Industries-40020-White-Lights/dp/B00GY6MTFI

FWIW the two lights you linked have fairly different circuit components.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I did a bunch of searching tonight and turned up nothing. Anyone know where I could find either a replacement carb or carb rebuild kit? The carb model is a Keihin PD32A, but I can't even see that this model carb exists.

It's on a 1980 XR200A (Dirty biek). So I'm wondering if there's just a replacement. I should slot in. I might start emailing manufacturers.

Also: Anyone have tachometer recommendations? I need to adjust idle and figured I'd pick up a decent hand held tach.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

dumb. posted:

FWIW the two lights you linked have fairly different circuit components.

Wow, sharp eye, good catch.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sorry you had a bad experience with an LED headlight but I am 4/5 for buying cheap chinese ones because I knew exactly what I was looking for features-wise. The only bad one I bought was the first one because I didnt know what to look for. I asked my mechanic for advice on the next and it was great. If its not a copy of a proven design its a big risk. Innovation is not a strong area in China

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Are you guys blind as gently caress or are US headlight rules different somehow? The only bikes I've ridden with genuinely insufficient factory headlights have been hyosungs, and various enduros with terrible incandescent headlights stuck on as an afterthought. Obviously old-timey bikes too but they're too lovely to discuss.

Like is all this pain and questionable QC and melting housings and poo poo really worth that much over a normal good quality H4 or whatever?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
We don't wanna change our our tinted visors at night and the transition visors are for olds.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
in America more is better even when more doesnt mean better. If I cant have 8000 lumen headlights blinding children from a mile away why even get out of bed.

Adequate is never enough

Personally I like a white light and for the same cost as a replacement incandescent white bulb I can get an LED that is potentially 3+ times brighter

No its not worth it, but changing everything on a motorcycle for better or worse to suit your taste is fun.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Aug 7, 2017

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

Are you guys blind as gently caress or are US headlight rules different somehow? The only bikes I've ridden with genuinely insufficient factory headlights have been hyosungs, and various enduros with terrible incandescent headlights stuck on as an afterthought. Obviously old-timey bikes too but they're too lovely to discuss.

Like is all this pain and questionable QC and melting housings and poo poo really worth that much over a normal good quality H4 or whatever?

How many catseyes do you have in your roads? There's a bunch of motorway near me with no reflectors and basically no white lines and it was loving terrifying to ride at night with the stock bulb.

Does a 2001 ZX6E count as old-timey?

Fauxtool posted:

No its not worth it, but changing everything on a motorcycle for better or worse to suit your taste is fun.

Also this. Upgradezzz :pcgaming:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Aug 7, 2017

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Really? I can think of maybe two bikes I've ridden that I felt ok riding at night on unlit highways. It's usually the beam pattern that sucks, not so much the brightness, but even that could be way better.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I know this has been covered before, but are there recommended cheap LED bulbs? I thought someone said there are newer ones that have a heat sink instead of a fan, maybe some kind of cable heat sink?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yes the newer gen ones use stainless braided straps t passively cool the light

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yes the newer gen ones use stainless braided straps t passively cool the light

Is there a keyword or brand to identify these newer types?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gen 5 I think?

E: maybe not. Either way they look like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4DJKNX/

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 8, 2017

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I found quite a few searching "fanless" but I haven't figured out which ones are good yet.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Deeters posted:

I found quite a few searching "fanless" but I haven't figured out which ones are good yet.

Ah yes, Chinese roulette :china:

tjones
May 13, 2005
The good ones are the ones that won't eventually catch fire after you throw power to them. Good luck!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

A buddy of mine completely melted the reflector on his when he bought the wrong one.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

E: maybe not. Either way they look like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4DJKNX/
Well, I'm sold. Can't argue with these selling points.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

Hmm. Well argued by the top left there, I am quite exposed to bad in my life and I may well want to reduce it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Collateral Damage posted:

:china:

I have no idea of those are good or not, they're just he first example I found.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Does anyone have recommendations for a beginner's guide to motorcycle engines, or engines in general? I know remarkably little when it comes to all things mechanical, and while I feel confident that I could perform most basic types of maintenance and parts installation on my scooter, i'd do so by following YouTube videos or step-by-step guides and i wouldn't be gaining any actual insight into how the machine functions, or how the new part I'm installing is going to perform better than the part I'm replacing.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just how little do you know? Do you know what the difference between 4 stroke and 2 is? Motorcycle engines are the same as any other. The parts might be smaller and look different but they have the same function as a car's.

What makes a part better is often subjective but for engines they are generally higher capacity or lighter making it faster

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 8, 2017

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Communist Walrus posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for a beginner's guide to motorcycle engines, or engines in general? I know remarkably little when it comes to all things mechanical, and while I feel confident that I could perform most basic types of maintenance and parts installation on my scooter, i'd do so by following YouTube videos or step-by-step guides and i wouldn't be gaining any actual insight into how the machine functions, or how the new part I'm installing is going to perform better than the part I'm replacing.

I really like this book and this channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tjones
May 13, 2005
A Haynes manual (or an equivalent), if available, goes into good detail about how a specific vehicle is assembled and maintained.

A factory service manual will do the same, but doesn't write out the instructions in laymen terms as well and most times won't have as detailed photos (usually they tend to use diagrams and exploded view illustrations).

Both won't explain how an engine or engine components function to any real degree. Any basic explanation for how an ICE works should be a good start (I would begin searching YouTube). You can branch out to more specific applications once you get a better understanding of the basics.

Referring to the mentioned manuals while learning about engines in general can help kick start your understanding of how those applications apply to your specific vehicle.

I should state I have no idea if those types of manuals are available for scooters. There are a loving ton of them, so I would not be surprised if there are.