Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
Just got my first chicken dinner! Jumped out at the AFK drop zone and immediately got a pistol while 3 others killed the AFK people. Dropped all 3 of them and managed to find an AKM and a SCAR on my way to the safe zone. 2 more kills while it tightened up, saved by the last guy as I was getting shot by #3; bandaged up and midway through saw him move while prone facing the wrong way and took him out. Didn't think I'd make it very far in this round after wrecking my bike early on, but man what an adrenaline rush!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Since the last patch, whenever I hit the opening splashscreen (with the line of people at the bottom, etc) it lasts 2-3 minutes rather than 2-3 seconds like it used to. Just 'Connected, waiting for server...' while my team yells at me to ready up and/or I want to get back into the game to Super Meat Boy myself again. Any idea what the deal is?

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I like aggressive play but I don't like first person only. The greater vision can be used to attack and flank just as much as defend.

I tend to agree, and there's different benefit and strategy to each view mode. TPP gives a bit more for defenders.

FPP: If I shoot a guy on a roof and he ducks down, he can't peek me, find my position, and shoot back without revealing himself.
TPP: He ducked and I need to find new cover or else he will pop and shoot me real quick. We can both see each other on a pretty even level even though I got the drop.

TPP: I'm checking a house and can use the camera to check around walls, but so can someone in waiting for when I enter a room.
FPP: Only thing we can use is what's in front of us and sound. Leaning around corners is the only way to quickly and somewhat safely get info.

The common issues with TPP:
FPP: I walk down a wall, turn a corner and a guy was waiting for me and I die, but had a chance to retaliate.
TPP: I walk down a wall, and before I can even turn the corner a guy peeks and shoots me in the head.

FPP: I shoot a guy at a tree, and he hides behind it. Either can make their way closer to finish up close, and the one hiding can't see unless they peeks.
TPP: I shoot a guy at a tree, and we both hide behind trees waiting for someone to gently caress up. Grenades, the zone, other parties, and impatience are the only things to break us out of it.

In general you can be more aggressive because of limited information. Hills also have a bigger impact in FPP, and the terrain can completely block you from being visible. TPP tends to give advantage to defenders in most situations I think, leaving it at an even playing field no matter who gets the drop or surprise. I like the play styles of both modes so far.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
My first FPP game was a rain one. That was unpleasant, I felt blind as well as deaf

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The rain feels far too loud. It's so deafening I can't hear cars over it until they're right on top of me. That never happens unless there's a hurricane going on. Rain should not be competing with gunshots and cars for loudness. I can understand it making footfalls harder to hear (though really people should be splashing and sloshing about, which is a lot louder) but it's far too loud in other situations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
as it turns out, repeatedly hot-dropping onto high-traffic/high-loot areas over and over again makes you much better at this game!

jvilmi
May 29, 2004

jvilmi fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 5, 2017

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

DrNutt posted:

The swamp area is so interesting and cool, but so tiny. I want a bayou map that's like 75% swamp that's filled with air boats.

I'd be ok with this if shooting from vehicles wasn't such a poo poo and janky experience, some kind of rotational inertia would be really good and then I'd be totally down with boat wars.

Pattonesque posted:

as it turns out, repeatedly hot-dropping onto high-traffic/high-loot areas over and over again makes you much better at this game!

Next you need to queue up for a squad game by yourself with automatching turned off and try to take out entire squads when they go for apartments.

Grab a shotgun/smg, sneak in, make dudes mad.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

lohli posted:

I'd be ok with this if shooting from vehicles wasn't such a poo poo and janky experience, some kind of rotational inertia would be really good and then I'd be totally down with boat wars.

Next you need to queue up for a squad game by yourself with automatching turned off and try to take out entire squads when they go for apartments.

Grab a shotgun/smg, sneak in, make dudes mad.

dang that's a good idea

just carve away the soft parts of my game until I become the Punisher

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

aniviron posted:

The rain feels far too loud. It's so deafening I can't hear cars over it until they're right on top of me. That never happens unless there's a hurricane going on. Rain should not be competing with gunshots and cars for loudness. I can understand it making footfalls harder to hear (though really people should be splashing and sloshing about, which is a lot louder) but it's far too loud in other situations.

You should go outside in a heavy rain more often.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I just realized boats in real life maintain speed without a person holding a throttle, so It would be hilarious and accurate if we could switch out of the driver seat to shoot and the boat maintains speed.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Just had an extremely weird FPP match where none of the building textures loaded properly. They all looked kind of melted, and I could walk and even drive through walls (although there was some resistance in patches). I decided to dip into the tunnels to see what they were like and then fell into the great ocean that lies below the world. 10/10 would do again.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Edit - phone post wrong thread bah. First person rules needs squad games.

cougar cub fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 6, 2017

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

PantsOptional posted:

Just had an extremely weird FPP match where none of the building textures loaded properly. They all looked kind of melted, and I could walk and even drive through walls (although there was some resistance in patches). I decided to dip into the tunnels to see what they were like and then fell into the great ocean that lies below the world. 10/10 would do again.

I too have seen some weird stuff.

I'm pretty sure I saw loot spawn in midair around those floating buildings. Anomalies like that are always a treat.

On that note, it would be pretty neat to see a game like this placed in the Zone of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.- looting guns is fine, but maybe you'll find a rock that slowly heals you but tends to result in radiation poisoning after a while.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I recorded a video of me dropping 3 8x scopes in the middle of nowhere but I'm too lazy to upload it so if you're the type of person to either like a video like that/get triggered by it pretend its here

i was wondering why those were there

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Zomborgon posted:

Horns are cool, but it would be nice if the game would prioritize putting the player in the drivers seat when you're both in solo and standing by the driver side door.

I really hate getting killed because someone sees me as I hop in, who then proceeds to headshot me while I sit in a parked car like a dork.

(Yes, I know about the ctrl-1 seat swap, but that cost me the time needed to at least make a moving target)

when you press f you get into whatever seat on the vehicle your mouse was looking at, just like when you loot the glasses instead of the gun and die on the school roof, its your fault.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/iYWhF26.jpg[[/timg]

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Holy poo poo I thought the buggy was loud in third person, in first person I have to turn my sound down from 50/100 to 10/100 unless I want to go deaf.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

My first solo win and my first squad win (living until the end) on the same day. Hell yeah

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Odobenidae posted:

Holy poo poo I thought the buggy was loud in third person, in first person I have to turn my sound down from 50/100 to 10/100 unless I want to go deaf.

There is a glitch/bug (yeah yeah buggy bug) going on right now that mutes the sound of the engine while you are driving it, and it keeps running and actually makes noise when it is not occupied.

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
Nothing sweeter than saving those last 3 frags for the last circle. More chicken dinners this week than the whole loving time ive been playing. (Other an Duo, I feel a solid duo is the easiest to win mode wise)

Also, first person is fun as hell and will be great once everything's fied bug wise. I do like running through buildings for my weapons, but come on now.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

cosmicjim posted:

I just realized boats in real life maintain speed without a person holding a throttle, so It would be hilarious and accurate if we could switch out of the driver seat to shoot and the boat maintains speed.

This is one of my secret biggest wishes that's probably number 10,000 on their todo list, if that

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
All these idiots shooting at me well I'm trying to get my bush on. This is bullshit.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

man i dunno why this game is so laggy for me. it's not graphics stuff i get the network lag message. i've never had trouble playing any other game. makes it so each encounter is a dice roll.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

man i dunno why this game is so laggy for me. it's not graphics stuff i get the network lag message. i've never had trouble playing any other game. makes it so each encounter is a dice roll.

Yeah it's been really bad recently. I was playing a squad game a couple hours ago and we all got kicked because the server died.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Trip report. M14 is a total beast with the best sound effects. Just had a squad dinner using it for the first time.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I hope they keep resetting rankings as often as they do now post release, those first few games when you're up against completely clueless people are so fun and easy

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
FPP feels somewhat awkward, but I do like how it encourages movement rather than cover camping. Seizing the initiative is significantly more effective.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I got absolutely destroyed all of yesterday in FPP because I kept being too timid and waited for people to come to me. I'm still adjusting to it, it was hard as hell learning to spot people from the viewpoint of your face and not a camera three feet above your head. I kept running into people point blank where neither of us had seen each other until we were face to face.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Corbeau posted:

FPP feels somewhat awkward, but I do like how it encourages movement rather than cover camping. Seizing the initiative is significantly more effective.

Yeah I don't get the complaints about camping in fpp. It's the exact opposite.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Hamelekim posted:

Yeah I don't get the complaints about camping in fpp. It's the exact opposite.

Yeah and the fact that people can't remain hidden and still have full overview of their surroundings makes camping in first person significantly less effective than in 3rd person

e: it's fine since it's beta or whatever, but is there no stat tracking for the first person modes yet?

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Aug 6, 2017

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Bohemian Nights posted:

Yeah and the fact that people can't remain hidden and still have full overview of their surroundings makes camping in first person significantly less effective than in 3rd person

e: it's fine since it's beta or whatever, but is there no stat tracking for the first person modes yet?

I'm making it to the to 10 and top 5 more than I was in third person so that right there is a bonus.

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010
Frags are really good in fpp, people can't see you throwing them if they are cowering behind cover as easily.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Taffer posted:

Yeah it's been really bad recently. I was playing a squad game a couple hours ago and we all got kicked because the server died.

it almost seems like it's on my end since the people i'm playing with aren't getting it at the level i am. i don't have incredible internet but it's more than fast enough to handle any game and i've legit never had issues like this in anything else.

i watch streamers and they have very little hitchin and i'm mad jelly cuz it makes the game frustrating as hell to play.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Groovelord Neato posted:

it almost seems like it's on my end since the people i'm playing with aren't getting it at the level i am. i don't have incredible internet but it's more than fast enough to handle any game and i've legit never had issues like this in anything else.

i watch streamers and they have very little hitchin and i'm mad jelly cuz it makes the game frustrating as hell to play.
Are you using wifi or are you wired? If you're wired, run a ping/packet loss test to see if it's just your ISP being lovely. If you're on wifi, stop being on wifi.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol like any gamer games on wifi.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Raises a shameful paw.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I feel find storming people in third person. If you don't know they're there you're losing in either mode.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Groovelord Neato posted:

You US or EU?

Am in EU and it looks the EU side has a worse lag/latency than the US does.
So US streamers can ain and get one shot headshots, while we aim for the head from 3cm away and still miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

This game is pretty intense but it feels like every death is bullshit and i get the sense that other people feel the same way.

I rarely get the sense that i did something wrong when I get killed, just that the game decided his bullets will hit and mine wont.

• Locked thread