Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

French Canadian posted:

Yes? I guess I don't know what you mean.
people turn that setting off all the time, because it's inconvenient and prevents them from doing their Very Important job

secondly if someone is dumb enough to click on a button that says "click here to download your Very Important file" why do you think they're not also dumb enough to click on a button that says "click here to read your Very Important file"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

anthonypants posted:

people turn that setting off all the time, because it's inconvenient and prevents them from doing their Very Important job

secondly if someone is dumb enough to click on a button that says "click here to download your Very Important file" why do you think they're not also dumb enough to click on a button that says "click here to read your Very Important file"

Email address whitelist and locked Excel settings? I dunno dude. People are always gonna be dumb as hell. Is there not some IT solution for this poo poo? Education on the topic will help obviously. But something always gets through if you let the employee be the last line of defense.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

French Canadian posted:

Email address whitelist and locked Excel settings? I dunno dude. People are always gonna be dumb as hell. Is there not some IT solution for this poo poo? Education on the topic will help obviously. But something always gets through if you let the employee be the last line of defense.

The employee is always the last line of defence, and you're a fuckup.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm getting a real vibe of this guy said something stupid and sarcastic online= and the FBI is taking it at face value.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm getting a real vibe of this guy said something stupid and sarcastic online= and the FBI is taking it at face value.
that's what all the current info looks like with a bonus of someone with a long-term vendetta having friends to throw mud from the side

maybe they have actual evidence though

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
just another row in yospos_secfucks.xlsm

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

French Canadian posted:

I shouldn't check email at home after a visit to the bar?

It's pretty much impossible to get phishing responses to zero. Even for people who work in security, or send phishing attempts literally an hour after anti-phishing awareness training. Doing these kind of white hat phishing tests and then shaming the people who fail is pointless, aside from curiosity about your population's baseline response rate.

Second factor auth requirements and other multilayered protections are much more effective than shaming people.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
lol being denied bail because you do the perfectly legal defcon tradition of going to shoot at a gun range

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
how dare he exercise his basic rights!
LOCK
HIM
UP

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

pfff he's a dirty foreigner, he has no rights

straight to gitmo, never to be heard from again

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

neat little bug in how windows handles TMI icons https://www.cybereason.com/labs-a-z...-special-icons/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF3sw80oBjY

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Who was complaining earlier that their bank only asks for 3 characters from their password, and what a secfuck it is? I'm updating addresses and just realised my bank does the same. :ohdear:

Also their garbage tier website won't parse my new address of "13 Some Flats, A Street" properly, it sees either "13, A Street" or "Some Flats, A Street" and there's no manual input boxes. :argh:

Perhaps it's time to switch banks.....

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

mrmcd posted:

Second factor auth requirements and other multilayered protections are much more effective than shaming people.

Can you explain a bit more how this would apply to me clicking a shameful link?

I am not professional computer toucher as evidenced by my phishing 101 failure.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

The employee is always the last line of defence, and you're a fuckup.

This is helpful and if I heard it from my IT person I would definitely bow my head in shame and change my ways forever.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

mrmcd posted:

It's pretty much impossible to get phishing responses to zero. Even for people who work in security, or send phishing attempts literally an hour after anti-phishing awareness training. Doing these kind of white hat phishing tests and then shaming the people who fail is pointless, aside from curiosity about your population's baseline response rate.

shaming is bad, but if you use it as a teachable moment (hey this could have been malicious, here's some tips on how you can identify bogus emails in the future) it can be a Good Thing

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

jammyozzy posted:

Who was complaining earlier that their bank only asks for 3 characters from their password, and what a secfuck it is? I'm updating addresses and just realised my bank does the same. :ohdear:

Also their garbage tier website won't parse my new address of "13 Some Flats, A Street" properly, it sees either "13, A Street" or "Some Flats, A Street" and there's no manual input boxes. :argh:

Perhaps it's time to switch banks.....

idk it might have been me but yeah this is such poo poo behaviour because a) only 3 chars lol and b) if I set a goddamn 15 character passphrase I don't want to have to squint at it to count characters to find 3, 8 and 14

my banking app insists on 3 chars of a 6 char number but I think this is only if you've previously authenticated the device so it's not quite as bad

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

maskenfreiheit posted:

shaming is bad, but if you use it as a teachable moment (hey this could have been malicious, here's some tips on how you can identify bogus emails in the future) it can be a Good Thing

thing is you cant really use a negative thing as an effective teachable moment

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

thing is you cant really use a negative thing as an effective teachable moment

Excuse me but fear of consequences has worked quite well to instill a sense of shameful obedience in my children. They don't know why "thing" is bad, just that "thing" equals "even worse thing".

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

French Canadian posted:

This is helpful and if I heard it from my IT person I would definitely bow my head in shame and change my ways forever.

If your security posture is predicated on users never loving up, then you're doomed to failure. Authentication should be a combination of password + hardware token + device identity, and limiting the ability for an attacker to move laterally once an individual user is compromised. As it happens, the things you do to limit damage from phishing also armor against insider risk, because they're essentially the same thing from a security perspective.

I can't (unfortunately) get into the technical details of things we do at my employer to that end, because a lot of it is still confidential. The security people long ago realized that there will always be some non-zero number of users who will get phished, either through zero day attachments or straight up "herd derp I'm so tired let me enter my password into companyinteralaccess.notavirus.ru" or " better get on curl bashing this thing my boss sent me from his personal email." Once you realize that, the entire strategy changes. Education to minimize success is obviously important, but it's only part of a good strategy.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

French Canadian posted:

Excuse me but fear of consequences has worked quite well to instill a sense of shameful obedience in my children. They don't know why "thing" is bad, just that "thing" equals "even worse thing".

you are not educating them, just disciplining poorly

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

you are not educating them, just disciplining poorly

My sarcasm game is weak...

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

French Canadian posted:

My sarcasm game is weak...

dont worry you could maul me with a sack of jokes without me noticing it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

French Canadian posted:

Everyone already knew they weren't getting bonuses. But still a lovely thing to play off of I would say.

it's illustrative of the type of thing you should take a moment to consider before you click. at this point many wary users won't fall for "hey check out this cool link" types of bait anymore, so an attacker can get some mileage out of another psychological button to push. compensation is one that works great in business.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Midjack posted:

it's illustrative of the type of thing you should take a moment to consider before you click. at this point many wary users won't fall for "hey check out this cool link" types of bait anymore, so an attacker can get some mileage out of another psychological button to push. compensation is one that works great in business.

To be fair, it was partially the "authenticity" of the DropBox-esque email that screwed me over.

Gone are the days of Nigerian emails and poor grammar.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

French Canadian posted:

To be fair, it was partially the "authenticity" of the DropBox-esque email that screwed me over.

Gone are the days of Nigerian emails and poor grammar.

They're still there, phishing is just another attack strategy. 419 emails look like garbage on purpose.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
as if we didn't know already that the outline is garbage: https://theoutline.com/post/2054/the-wannacry-hacker-hero-was-spending-big-in-vegas-before-his-arrest

quote:

Before being arrested by the FBI while attempting to take a flight back to the United Kingdom, Marcus Hutchins was partying hard in Las Vegas: renting sports cars, going clubbing, and staying at a lavish $1,900 per night rental that happens to have the biggest private pool in the city.
and oh my stars he went to a gun range!

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

French Canadian posted:

Good :colbert:

Less antagonistic, a white list for emails doesn't work for 95% or more of businesses, and you can't lock down everything to absolutely safe levels because you're going to get a dozen+ calls a day asking for IT to allow something to run that's job essential. User education is one of the best things for any sizeable group, and suggesting users shouldn't have a role in security practices is naive at best.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Chris Knight posted:

as if we didn't know already that the outline is garbage: https://theoutline.com/post/2054/the-wannacry-hacker-hero-was-spending-big-in-vegas-before-his-arrest

and oh my stars he went to a gun range!
yeah there's an absurd amount of mudslinging going on inc. mixing up accounts who were trying to pass as him from 2013 onwards

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
"UK model kidnapped by Polish national who reportedly planned to auction woman on dark web"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/aug/05/uk-model-kidnapped-and-held-captive-in-italy-for-six-days

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

agilebits more like agileshits

do you want to save this password oh and also all of your payment information you typed into this form

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i'm the signup page that also takes all your payment info in one stage

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

maskenfreiheit posted:

"UK model kidnapped by Polish national who reportedly planned to auction woman on dark web"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/aug/05/uk-model-kidnapped-and-held-captive-in-italy-for-six-days

politely tittering at them using the name of the town in the local dialect

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i've found it, the dumbest opinion so far: https://cybersecpolitics.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/the-killswitch-story-feels-like-bullshit.html

quote:

But let me float my and others initial feeling when MalwareTech got arrested: The "killswitch" story was clearly bullshit. What I think happened is that MalwareTech had something to do with Wannacry, and he knew about the killswitch, and when Wannacry started getting huge and causing massive amounts of damage (say, to the NHS of his own country) he freaked out and "found the killswitch". This is why he was so upset to be outed by the media.

Being afraid to take the limelight is not a typical "White Hat" behavior, to say the least.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
i think john mcafee is the real hacker

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

yeah there's an absurd amount of mudslinging going on inc. mixing up accounts who were trying to pass as him from 2013 onwards

I think what's worse is the fucker from the outline claiming to be telling "just facts" as if that excuses the narrative he's attempting

https://twitter.com/williamturton/status/893237886979514368

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

listen i'm just the messenger, what do you expect from me some sort of journalism?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

French Canadian posted:

normally when your computer gets infected with malicious software the hacker is after your login and password because once they have that they can use it to log into other systems and either take the data they have or infect them to get more login information. but if you have a second authentication factor (for example you need to enter in a constantly changing code from a little keyfob in addition to your password whenever you log in) they can't do that.

they are still able to access anything on your machine and (when you are logged into the network) anything your machine can access like network shares. that's where additional layers come into play: your machine should only have read access to what you need to do you job and write access to things you need to change often. ideally your machine and something valuable like the payroll database server shouldn't be able to even figure out that the other exists, the network infrastructure should simply drop every attempt at communications between the two while also alerting the admins that the attempt was made.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

today my friend managed to catch in code review one of our shittier devs' "solution" to running tasks remotely.

anyone wanna guess what it was doing?

it was literally just netcat piped to sh of course!

this was going to be installed on a customer's corporate network :stonk:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

ate all the Oreos posted:

today my friend managed to catch in code review one of our shittier devs' "solution" to running tasks remotely.

That's not so ba- wat :psyduck:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ate all the Oreos posted:

:murder:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
the term is "unix philosophy"

• Locked thread