Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

I Might Be Adam posted:

So I'm only spending probably half of the day on Thursday and all of Friday at Gencon. I'm going with friends I haven't seen in years so we are planning on playing games together in the library but I haven't bought tickets for anything else. Is there really a reason to at this point? Even weeks ago, I noticed most of the events (dnd/pathfinder) were full on the days I'm gonna be there. I'm sure that hanging out with friends, looking at the convention and doing night time drinking/socializing will be ample but is there anything that I SHOULD do?

I'm in a similar boat with more time. If you all like RPGs get some generics and go to Games on Demand, that's what I'm planning, along with getting lots of demos in the dealer hall.

Unless someone wants to give me their L5R ticket...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Hey fellow Gen-Conners! I work at Sun King Brewery, who makes the Gen-Con beer every year. Checking in to see if anybody travelling from the coasts would be interested in doing a beer swap. PM me if so, otherwise I'll see you all on the floor!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Well, I got charged the first night for both rooms.
That'll teach me to forget to switch the payment info for the second room.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Do you have an extra...

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

Texibus posted:

Do you have an extra...

I have an extra but it's near the airport.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
That one I got, thank you though.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
So I just found out Ill be getting into the exhibit hall an hour early. Are there any must get games this year? Im kind of excited about Dragonfire, but most of what is on the BGG preview list I am luke warm to. I havent really thought about it till yesterday though since previously i wasnt expecting to get into the hall till Thursday afternoon when all that stuff will probably be gone already.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Dr. Quarex posted:

Oh good I saw you posting on the Gen-Con Facebook with my burner account and I was like OH I HOPE MY HAIR BUDDY WILL RETURN THIS YEAR

HELL YEAH

This is the part of my annual Gen Con tradition where I regretfully inform Quarex that I'm still not that guy. I'm a slightly different guy with short lame-o hair whom Quarex is, at best, only mildly excited about seeing. :sweatdrop:

edit: I'm chuffed as a lark to see you and y'all, though! :dance:

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 7, 2017

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm getting pretty excite and preparing myself mentally, physically, and spiritually for the week of Gencon.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
It's never too early to start slammin vitamin C supplements in a hopeless effort to ward off con crud!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Fellis posted:

It's never too early to start slammin vitamin C supplements in a hopeless effort to ward off con crud!

Speaking of, if I play with someone that sneezes on my board game this year without even attempting to cover their nose I may be banned from the ICC for life. My copy of Kemet took a bleach spray bath last year because of that :argh:

EDIT: It wasn't a goon, you guys are generally a step up from the general audience

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 7, 2017

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
No jury would convict

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Fellis posted:

Zinc supplements apparently work a wonder.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001
How is the paid game library? If you have a couple solo hours to kill is there a better option for finding pickup games with strangers?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Lump Shaker posted:

is there a better option for finding pickup games with strangers?
Yeah, GroupMe

EDIT: But it's cool, because those strangers will be Goons.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Lump Shaker posted:

How is the paid game library? If you have a couple solo hours to kill is there a better option for finding pickup games with strangers?

Library is huge, but space is limited for gen con size event. Goons probably just as good so yeah get the groupme

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It'll be great to see you this year, Quarex, you were missed last time (albeit with very good reason).

Pricing stuff for the auction is a headache this year, I have a number of books that are ridiculously priced on Amazon / Noble Knight Games / eBay to a level where I would be shocked to see anybody pay for. $50+ for a copy of Hacker? Yeah... sure... :rolleyes:

What advice do you have for Pricing?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I thought Gencon library was going to be at Lucas Oil Stadium this year, therefore size infinite?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

SirPhoebos posted:

What advice do you have for Pricing?

I've only been doing this for a few years, so I'm no authority. But my usual process is to go to eBay and search for what I'm trying to sell with the filter "Show only: sold listings." What people are selling it for isn't nearly as worthwhile to as knowing what they're buying it for. I then sometimes check Amazon or Noble Knight Games usually just to make sure I'm not overshooting the current price of the item overtly (including about $4 for S&H in that estimation). I'll usually set the top price around what the top end of what people are buying it for and the low price based on the low end. Of course, sometimes this can vary a lot or you can't get accurate pricing data and you just have to eyeball it and guess. Bear in mind sometimes you just have to do fire sale prices - it's how I got rid of a lot of my d20 stuff. But even then, that added up to a lot more money than I expected. With high-value items it can be tricky, it took me two years to sell off my rarer Wraith books. Just because something is technically valuable doesn't mean anybody will buy it for that price, but the auction is good for at least giving those sorts of items a shot at collecting the market value. Worst case scenario, you take some stuff home and try again next year.

With stuff like CCGs I just ended up doing comparable searches and a lot of guesswork based on the top-rarity items. That poo poo is really hard to sell but I think I'm at least getting a better idea of how to market it. For example, this year I'm trying to sell off Heroclix and I've been able to find a store that sells cheap clear plastic bins at $1-$2 - which is ideal. Minis need to look visible to the buyer, I think - that's one of the issues I think I've had with selling CCGs, is that people can't see what they're buying inside the box. I'm pretty sure Arcadia would have sold by now if people had a better idea of how rad it looks, particularly the cool pop-up cards. Hopefully my theory has weight and I'll be able to offload some ancient poorly-painted plastic. Still trying to figure out the best ways to handle collectible games, but I hope I'm making progress.

Quarex probably knows more, I dunno. I'm thinking of trying a goofy TOVA idea this year if I can find the time.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
All right guys, tomorrow I will stopping at 3 Floyd's brewery and getting booze. If anyone is interested in me grabbing something post here or post on GroupMe and tag me. The available choice are listed here https://www.3floyds.com/beers-to-go/ . Sadly it doesn't look like they have any Zombie Dust at this time.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

some really good advice

Quarex probably knows more, I dunno. I'm thinking of trying a goofy TOVA idea this year if I can find the time.

I have been doing it for just the last few years as well and I agree with everything here. There's some stuff (for instance, the Vampire the Requiem clanbooks) that I can't find being sold much of anywhere, even Noble Knight, so you have to guess or toss them in the auction and see. In those cases, they're hard to get now but maybe nobody wants them, so I tend to start a little under the original MSRP and discount over the three days.

Whatever you do, don't go on Amazon and get dollar signs in your eyes. The only thing Amazon is really useful for is to see if people can buy a copy of the game new. If so, you're going to want to price cheaper than that, despite whatever you paid for it. But the very inflated used prices on there are pretty useless - those sellers can wait years for someone to bite, but you probably don't want to haul all your stuff back with you.

Finding a way to show people what they're getting is also pretty important. The first year I tried to sell a whole set of Vampire novels but put them in a box. Didn't sell. The next year I wised up and sold them separately (generally better than selling in lots, IMO) so people could fill out their collections and see exactly what they were getting. All of them sold, and the total was more than I had expected for the set together.

In general my fallback is to try and picture myself as the hypothetical buyer. Would I be annoyed at the condition or the price? If so, better knock a few bucks off. I try to price Thursday at, "Well, I'm not paying shipping and I can see what condition it's in". Friday I try to make a reasonable deal and Saturday is the lowest I would let it go for and should feel like an exciting find.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Backno posted:

Sadly it doesn't look like they have any Zombie Dust at this time.

It's not the rarest Pokemon on tap anymore at least.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

djfooboo posted:

It's not the rarest Pokemon on tap anymore at least.

This is true. You no longer have to bribe the employees at a liquor store to get when they will get some next. Thankfully it's not my favorite beer, but I have some friends who go a little crazy when they get some. One in particular had 7 cases of it at one point.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Millions posted:

Hey fellow Gen-Conners! I work at Sun King Brewery, who makes the Gen-Con beer every year. Checking in to see if anybody travelling from the coasts would be interested in doing a beer swap. PM me if so, otherwise I'll see you all on the floor!

Have you sampled this year's beer? I'm pretty fond of most of Sun King's standard line-up, but I missed the 20 Sided Rye last year and am jazzed to pick up a bunch of this year's style.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Recap:

2012 Ale of Destiny - Belgian dark ale
2013 Flagon Slayer - Braggot (mead+beer)
2014 Froth of Khan - Brown ale (coffee)
2015 Drink on and Prosper - American blonde ale
2016 20-Sided Rye - Rye (Roggenbier)
2017 Dragon's Delight - Belgian golden ale

Can we go back to some more interesting varietels? I understand quaff-ability is pretty important in August heat, maybe a shandy next year? We could even name it Grapefruit Jungle Meeple or whatever.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Please don't encourage them to make anything with grapefruit

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

A shandy would be nice though.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

How worried should I be about parking? I'm driving to and from the event on all the days. Are there ample garages? What kind of dosh are we looking at here?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Admiral Joeslop posted:

How worried should I be about parking? I'm driving to and from the event on all the days. Are there ample garages? What kind of dosh are we looking at here?

Depending on where you're coming from, it might be better to use Lyft because parking is going to be expensive and possibly time consuming.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've always used Parkwiz and just reserved a spot somewhere. Everything that's left is a bit of a walk (or a shuttle ride), but knowing in advance where you're parking is worth it imo.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The hotel is 25 minutes to the south so that sounds like an expensive ride. I'll look into ParkWiz though.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The hotel is 25 minutes to the south so that sounds like an expensive ride. I'll look into ParkWiz though.

I used parkwiz when I had a far out hotel two years ago. It worked great and I highly recommend it. There was one day I couldn't get a reserved spot, so I just used street parking. Indy uses one of those apps instead of street parking meters for many of the sports around the convention center. So while you can only put in 2 hours or so at a time, you can get an alert on your phone and re-feed the meter remotely.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I used SpotHero for parking. Thursday is a couple blocks away for $7 (I have to be out of there by 7:30, but I have to check into the hotel anyway). Friday and Saturday, I am literally right across the street from the convention center, but it's $25 a day.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Are there good articles on running games? I've done a pretty decent job preparing, but with GenCon around the corner I realized one thing I haven't taken into account is "how do deal with a stranger that's ruining my groove?"

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

SirPhoebos posted:

Are there good articles on running games? I've done a pretty decent job preparing, but with GenCon around the corner I realized one thing I haven't taken into account is "how do deal with a stranger that's ruining my groove?"
I vastly prefer the stealthy OOC solution: call for a Perception roll (or equivalent). Chuckle evilly at the results (whatever they are) and pull the problem player aside to "impart secret information." Once out of earshot of the other players, say, "OK, your character notices X important fact/clue/whatever. Also, dude, quit bein' a dick. Other people are trying to have fun here too, so please be respectful of that."

Most people will tone it down if explicitly called out. But if you have a determined cockbag, don't hesitate to jettison him or her. Your time is valuable too.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Ilor posted:

I vastly prefer the stealthy OOC solution: call for a Perception roll (or equivalent). Chuckle evilly at the results (whatever they are) and pull the problem player aside to "impart secret information." Once out of earshot of the other players, say, "OK, your character notices X important fact/clue/whatever. Also, dude, quit bein' a dick. Other people are trying to have fun here too, so please be respectful of that."

Most people will tone it down if explicitly called out. But if you have a determined cockbag, don't hesitate to jettison him or her. Your time is valuable too.

This is really good

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I usually just park at the mall and hoof it over. But I'm an Indy native, and I'm used to the panhandlers

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Maigius posted:

I had this silly idea last year, but wasn't able to execute it. At the big Wednesday drunken meetup thing, I will be running an Ugly Dice Contest! Bring your ugliest dice, I will photograph them and send it to my panel of judges, and they will choose this winner. Winner gets an drink of their choice at wherever we meet up. Note that this is an ugly dice contest and not an ugly die contest, so you need at least two of them. More information as think of it.

This is still going to happen.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'm planning on bringing stuff to make jamon sandwiches so I can spend more time doing anything but wandering around looking for food. Any suggestions on what else would make for good con' snacks or meals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Almonds, cheese sticks, pork rinds, jerky. Lots of protein, salt, and fatty snacks. That plus plenty of water will keep you feeling satiated and energized. My favorite portable snack/meal is prosciutto and basil wrapped around mozzerella.

• Locked thread