Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

With a full suit of i340 gear, a tank will have about 35% damage reduction. So protect would give an additional 3.5% damage reduction for a tank with the best possible gear right now.

That's not to say it's bad, because mitigating 3.5% of all damage for free is good, but lol at throwing a tantrum about not having it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
At the end of HW, Foresight was about 8% or so physical defense mitigation and that's 20% defense. So for tanks, ~4% at the beginning of the expansion sounds about right.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
protect should just work like it does in pvp

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I just don't understand why it has to even be a discussion. The healer just flat afk'd or something in the pull right after the first boss of Ala Mhigo. Instead of everyone throwing a fit, he apologized and literally nothing else was said. Do we not all just wanna get our tomes/exp/drops and get out?

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Fister Roboto posted:

Just had a really fun Sirensong Sea run. I started off pulling the first pack, and I guess I missed the healer casting protect. That's not really a big deal, but apparently this made them very angry because they stopped healing me for the next pack.

Instead of kicking me like most normal groups, they decided to wait for me to drop and eat a penalty. All this because I moved out of range of protect. Fortunately one of the other dps dropped after waiting for 10 minutes.

As a healer, nothing makes me happier than when a tank gives no fucks about protect. Protect is the worst.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SonicRulez posted:

I just don't understand why it has to even be a discussion. The healer just flat afk'd or something in the pull right after the first boss of Ala Mhigo. Instead of everyone throwing a fit, he apologized and literally nothing else was said. Do we not all just wanna get our tomes/exp/drops and get out?

Some people just want to be really, really mad at video games and the people who play them.

Hell, if people could be counted on to be chill all the time we'd probably have a larger percentage of people playing tanks and healers. I know the main reason I don't like tanking is not wanting to put up with the occasional prima dona like the above healer (or garbage tier DPS but there's no escaping those).

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I had a SCH do similar to me once. He even desummoned his fairy. I asked them to kick me, but they didn't. We ended up finishing, and I got two coms. I guess the other two players were silently cheering for me.

I don't actually slot protect. Even in HW, it was like my fourth slotted skill, so it wasn't unusual that I couldn't use it in levelling. Most tanks kind of stand there for 5 seconds, then just quietly wander off. Every so often someone makes a big deal about it. That's what rescue is for. To dump that guy into an AoE.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I don't think you should pick fights with strangers.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
The only reason I even keep Protect slotted is because I get yelled at if it's not the first thing I do in an instance. I would really rather have Eye-for-an-Eye or Rescue or Surecast or something.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I was in a map party the other day that everyone was having such a good time we all went and got another round of maps to keep the group going, and then like on the 16th map the tank made one tiny mistake that we completely recovered from and one dude just loving went off on him. Some people are just looking for reasons to get angry at people I guess, but lmao @ actually getting pissed off in a map party.

Colgate posted:

The only reason I even keep Protect slotted is because I get yelled at if it's not the first thing I do in an instance. I would really rather have Eye-for-an-Eye or Rescue or Surecast or something.
Make a Protect swap macro, hit it once when you first load in and then go on using something that's actually useful.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I find stony silence works well when someone tries to ask why I don't use Protect. They'll just assume you can't type or something and then they'll assume you're too stupid to figure out how to slot Protect.

Use the next 10-15 minutes of silence formulating a good time and place to Rescue them. One of my favourites is Rescue during LB, then using LB myself. They were probably using it in the last 2% anyway.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Dwesa posted:

drat, they just wanted their sirensong ERP glamours and you wanted the healer to cast protect TWICE? Outrageous.

That's Shisui. Sirensong is the gear nobody wears cause it's 260 and you can just get shire gear super easy.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jay Rust posted:

This whole game is about picking fights with strangers, buddy

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

homeless snail posted:

I was in a map party the other day that everyone was having such a good time we all went and got another round of maps to keep the group going, and then like on the 16th map the tank made one tiny mistake that we completely recovered from and one dude just loving went off on him. Some people are just looking for reasons to get angry at people I guess, but lmao @ actually getting pissed off in a map party.

Make a Protect swap macro, hit it once when you first load in and then go on using something that's actually useful.

Mind sharing that macro?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yeah, it's basically
1. Make the most ridiculous glamour possible
2. Verbally spar with anyone who disagrees with any decision you've made, ever. Ad hominem attacks REQUIRED
3. Maybe get your ilvl up one day?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Mind sharing that macro?
If you wanted to swap Protect and Esuna it would be something like
code:
/aaction "Esuna" off
/aaction "Protect" on
/ac "Protect" <wait.3>
/aaction "Protect" off
/aaction "Esuna" on
Can't use it in combat of course and also there's a delay associated with /aaction so if you get into combat in between turning one off and the other on you'll be stuck without both.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 6, 2017

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Reiterpallasch posted:

protect should just work like it does in pvp

It absolutely should. Then it would be an actually interesting ability.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I tried measuring the effect of Protect on myself during open world combat and didn't see any difference in the damage I was taking from auto attacks (this was leveling somewhere in the 60s). I'm not sure if this was because there was something going on with the way the game rounds numbers, or if there are diminishing returns for non-tank armor, or if something was just bugged.

The only reason I even cast protect in 4 man dungeons is to keep the rest of the group from getting upset. I've never actually noticed any difference in the amount of incoming party damage when I'm healing and I forget it.

e: the little shield effect does look cool, though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I tried measuring the effect of Protect on myself during open world combat and didn't see any difference in the damage I was taking from auto attacks (this was leveling somewhere in the 60s). I'm not sure if this was because there was something going on with the way the game rounds numbers, or if there are diminishing returns for non-tank armor, or if something was just bugged.

The only reason I even cast protect in 4 man dungeons is to keep the rest of the group from getting upset. I've never actually noticed any difference in the amount of incoming party damage when I'm healing and I forget it.

All armor works the same way, and the percentage of DR scales linearly with defense. As a healer, you just have so little defense, especially this early in the expansion cycle, that the difference protect makes for you is probably smaller than the random damage variance.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SKULL.GIF posted:

Half of the reason the Internet exists is to pick fights with strangers. :shrug:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Thundarr posted:

Half of the reason the Internet exists is to pick fights with strangers. :shrug:

Just the internet?

Mystic Cave zOWNd
Dec 22, 2006

Trixie bravely turned her tail and fled

And there was much rejoicing.
Update: We just killed OS3 with mere seconds to enrage. I don't have a screenshot because our ninja jumped through the exit at the first opportunity, but here's a video: https://youtu.be/4xwob6F9OZE

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

homeless snail posted:

I did a POTD 51-60 run a while back where a dude got lovely at me for popping a rage pomander to clear a room full of mobs on a gloom floor. Like "we could have cleared that on our own idiot we should save that for when we NEED it", you know, for all that supremely challenging content you face all the time on floors 51-60 of POTD when you have a healer. "I tend to call out stupid when I see it" was a quote of his

He had a lovely friend with him too but fortunately the other pubbie was cool and on my side

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

the only role that will get appreciable mitigation from protect is tanks and like dragoons. it's calculated using a percentage of your armor stat, which is only high on fending gear and less so on maiming gear.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Anyone know if being on the inside track on turns in a chocobo race affects how quickly you get through the race? does changing lanes affect it at all?

Also should I be lathering it? What should I do to get rid of it if not, let up on the gas or actively backpedal?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 6, 2017

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

Anyone know if being on the inside track on turns in a chocobo race affects how quickly you get through the race? does changing lanes affect it at all?

Also should I be lathering it? What should I do to get rid of it if not, let up on the gas or actively backpedal?

Always try to be on the inside track, because even in on-rails chocobo racing games, the shortest route is the fastest.

You have to actively pull back to become un-lathered IIRC.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Ciaphas posted:

It's slotcar racing, so yes, being on the inside is faster. Granted, the "inside" changes a bit on certain tracks, and it requires a high Cunning stat to switch lanes without losing much speed.

Lathering is to be expected and you will be lathering for roughly 70-80% of the race unless your endurance stat is so far above your top speed stat that it doesn't, and in that case something has gone wrong. Backpedaling will make you unlather considerably quicker, but it'll take much longer to make it back up to speed based on your Acceleration, so the better thing to do is when you feel confident in your 1st or 2nd placement is to just let up on the gas.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Depending on what rank (R-XXX) you're racing in, there are traps on the optimal racing line with little charge up so really, it's probably only worth thinking about which lane you're in on extremely sharp corners like the final one of Sagolii Road because the AI totally sucks on those so you can win or lose races on those corners.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Cool, another reason to link this.

Basically one of the Samurai are mad that they died (nominally due to pulling threat, ACT just confuses me so I can't actually tell), the tanks start insulting him and pretty much state they're either just running parsers or just using the threat list to read dps.

You can follow along from there.

In conclusion: gently caress tanks.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

This week I had a tank in Haukke that got mad because he thought we were pulling for him so he stepped to the side in the middle of a four pull and said, "I asked you not to pull :)"

By the end of that pack he started tanking again when he realized that as a WHM I could tank just fine.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Chucat posted:

Cool, another reason to link this.

Basically one of the Samurai are mad that they died (nominally due to pulling threat, ACT just confuses me so I can't actually tell), the tanks start insulting him and pretty much state they're either just running parsers or just using the threat list to read dps.

You can follow along from there.

In conclusion: gently caress tanks.

Clear out your inventory man

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

nuru posted:

This week I had a tank in Haukke that got mad because he thought we were pulling for him so he stepped to the side in the middle of a four pull and said, "I asked you not to pull :)"

By the end of that pack he started tanking again when he realized that as a WHM I could tank just fine.

Shoot, a level ~30 WHM probably feels about as beefy as a level 30 DRK. Has the same number of built-in defensive cooldowns too. :negative:

Also, newbie success story: I wound up tanking for the world's most honest healer in Copperbell last night, as in they were just hitting Cure off of cooldown. With quite a bit of polite encouragement, I got them to stop doing that mostly, and even throw some rocks at the end boss. Good job, sprout person. :unsmith:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Here's a summary of all the stuff from the Yoshida in-game interview

https://gamerescape.com/2017/08/05/yoshi-ps-walk-on-gaia-data-center-reveals-new-info/

Shinryu Extreme in 4.1!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I just can't imagine DFing O1S or whatever and running into Yoshi P. I wonder if he's good.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

SonicRulez posted:

I just can't imagine DFing O1S or whatever and running into Yoshi P. I wonder if he's good.

Depends on how you mean. If you could somehow come up with content he'd never seen, he'd be pretty good but not phenomenal. But he has the advantage of knowing all the mechanics before they happen, so of course he's gonna play well.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nearly everyone knows what the mechanics are before they're going to happen if they're remotely determined to do content thanks to the deluge of guides and instruction available, most are still incapable of doing simple things correctly.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Blockhouse posted:

https://gamerescape.com/2017/08/05/yoshi-ps-walk-on-gaia-data-center-reveals-new-info/

Shinryu Extreme in 4.1!

This was a given but I'm still please looking forward to it.

What would a Shinryu weapon look like? Rainbow lightning?

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

ruta posted:

I find stony silence works well when someone tries to ask why I don't use Protect. They'll just assume you can't type or something and then they'll assume you're too stupid to figure out how to slot Protect.

Use the next 10-15 minutes of silence formulating a good time and place to Rescue them. One of my favourites is Rescue during LB, then using LB myself. They were probably using it in the last 2% anyway.

LOL You are the literal devil and next time I play healer I'm totally doing this.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Thundarr posted:

What would a Shinryu weapon look like? Rainbow lightning?

Golden dragonscales with a rainbow sheen when it catches the light. Also patches of gratuitous red fur for extra fanciness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Blockhouse posted:

Shinryu Extreme in 4.1!

Screw that, I want that boss to be an actual Yojimbo trial.