Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

fruit on the bottom posted:

:spergin:

My (24F) grandpa is 91(M) but he still works 4 days a week at Ace hardware. He's the man there and I think he loves it. My sister (39F) and cousins (30s/40s) are trying to get him to quit for his safety. I think not having anything to do will kill him and I want to stop them. How do I do it?

BONUS ROUND

[Meta] I trained a recurrent neural network to generate /r/legaladvice submissions combined with /r/relationship_advice submissions

Let him die in the hardware store, that's baller.

Bonus round:

That hurt to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

maskenfreiheit posted:

being alone is awesome.

i could do with more sex, but not at the expense of tolerating someone i'm not into

ZearothK posted:

Better alone than in bad company and all that.

I agree more than you can possibly imagine, but I tend not to project my antisocial tendencies onto others (not suggesting you do). It's just that when it comes down to it, that fear together with a heaping of Sunk Cost Fallacy easily explains about 70% of these posts.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Outrail posted:

Bonus round:

That hurt to read.

Yeah, I think they need to change some training parameters on that model. Hopefully they'll figure it out. :)

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Dead Reckoning posted:

Just start making GBS threads in mason jars when the toilet is clogged and leaving them in the bathroom. When your roommate complains, say "Can't you just take care of it?"

You don't want to get into a game of disgusting chicken with the girl who leaves her shits out for you to clean up like the world's worst cat

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Yeah that's land war in Asia territory there

Khorne
May 1, 2002

My (24F) grandpa is 91(M) but he still works 4 days a week at Ace hardware. He's the man there and I think he loves it. My sister (39F) and cousins (30s/40s) are trying to get him to quit for his safety. I think not having anything to do will kill him and I want to stop them. How do I do it?
Just let grandpa do what he wants. Make sure to point you drive him to and from work and are completely okay with it. Who knew the solution to life's problems could be so drat simple.

Not going to lie, I'd want to die early doing poo poo I love instead of wasting away in some boring rear end place. If he had lots of engaging stuff to do at his 'facility' he'd be there instead of working.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

My SIL (F34) is accusing me (f26) of trying to seduce her husband (M36) and I'm now not invited to family events.
It sucks her in-laws are poo poo, but this can probably be talked through. It seems like they hiveminded behind her back. It takes two to cheat, and she's not even trying to cheat or seduce anyone.

I mean, the solution is here to try to talk with them and to stop visiting them if they are assholes still. No one is trying to seduce anyone, it's not okay to be that way toward my wife, do you really think you (or your husband) would entertain the thought. People suck.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 6, 2017

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Yeah that's land war in Asia territory there

Who knows what weapons will be used to fight the turd world war.

I'm sure though, that the fourth will be fought with buckets and cans.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Your grandfather fought in WWII and Korea? Listen up, he gets to die however he pleases and if he comes to you saying he wants to wrestle a bear your only response should be asking which species.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Khorne posted:

Just let grandpa do what he wants. Make sure to point you drive him to and from work and are completely okay with it. Who knew the solution to life's problems could be so drat simple.

Not going to lie, I'd want to die early doing poo poo I love instead of wasting away in some boring rear end place. If he had lots of engaging stuff to do at his 'facility' he'd be there instead of working.
In reality the choice is "die normally doing poo poo you love" vs "die early because you're wasting away with no reason to live". Old people go downhill fast once their days consist of sitting around and watching tv.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Barudak posted:

Your grandfather fought in WWII and Korea? Listen up, he gets to die however he pleases and if he comes to you saying he wants to wrestle a bear your only response should be asking which species.

Yeah, the top quote was along these lines, "he stood up to Hitler and Tojo I think he'll be able to stand up to his family"

WrenP-Complete posted:

Yeah, I think they need to change some training parameters on that model. Hopefully they'll figure it out. :)

Yeah, it deffo needs some work but it made me think of that old stdh.txt generator some goon made way back when that gave us the "I am a master of psychology *spits on the customer*"

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

You don't want to get into a game of disgusting chicken with the girl who leaves her shits out for you to clean up like the world's worst cat
Point.

Haifisch posted:

In reality the choice is "die normally doing poo poo you love" vs "die early because you're wasting away with no reason to live". Old people go downhill fast once their days consist of sitting around and watching tv.
As someone who spends a lot of time in nursing homes, I can tell you that this is manifestly and unfortunately untrue.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

WampaLord posted:

Didn't happen, made up, Fake News.

There was surely an innocent Tickle Fight that did happen, though.

So I'm finally caught up with the thread, and I just wanted to say, WampaLord, that whatever it is you do to stop diarrhea from coming out on your way to the bathroom - just do that. I mean, each time you feel a fart coming on, do that thing you would do to prevent a pants-making GBS threads incident, and get to a bathroom or some other solitary place. If you can do one, you can totally do the other.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Dead Reckoning posted:

Point.

As someone who spends a lot of time in nursing homes, I can tell you that this is manifestly and unfortunately untrue.

so they slowly waste away watching tv? :(

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Phyzzle posted:

So I'm finally caught up with the thread, and I just wanted to say, WampaLord, that whatever it is you do to stop diarrhea from coming out on your way to the bathroom - just do that. I mean, each time you feel a fart coming on, do that thing you would do to prevent a pants-making GBS threads incident, and get to a bathroom or some other solitary place. If you can do one, you can totally do the other.

You're making some big assumptions about Wampa's bowel control habits here.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Phyzzle posted:

I'm familiar with the ability and yes, I am able to do so, the confusion came from people implying that they can literally never fart/sneeze if they choose to, which loving blew me away.

People were straight up saying "I never fart" or "I never sneeze"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

maskenfreiheit posted:

I've seen plenty of elderly come to the hospital with something really simple like pneumonia or a bedsore, and end up so atrophied and taken-down over a week that they functionally "die" right there. When you're old inertia is the harshest of mistresses.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

maskenfreiheit posted:

In my experience, yes. Although the TV is only a symptom, usually there's something else like a fall or pneumonia that started their decline. If it weren't for TV then all that would be different is they'd waste away staring at a blank wall instead.

e: okay, maybe they'd listen to the radio or something, I don't know

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Phyzzle posted:

he just completely missed my point. Yeah it's possible to platonicly sit on someone's lap cause you're just a touchy feely person who is being friendly, but in a lot of social environments it's gonna give off some vibes. Similarly it's possible to be in a two piece in a pool hanging off various dudes in the family to the point where your swimsuit falls off cause you're all being so physical with each other, accidents do of course happen, but for some people it's gonna give off some vibes.

it's the same line it just depends on where you draw it, some people are gonna be unreasonable on one end and other people are gonna be unreasonable on the other end. I 100% believe the OP in saying she wasn't intending to cross any boundaries and was absolutely not trying to flirt with with anyone, but I can also see why everyone who wasn't her saw it as flirting, particularly considering it was an ongoing situation.

At the end of the day they should have had a conversation over it long ago before things boiled over. Instead the tension just built until much like her tits, their feelings popped out at an inopportune time.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ArbitraryC posted:

he just completely missed my point. Yeah it's possible to platonicly sit on someone's lap cause you're just a touchy feely person who is being friendly, but in a lot of social environments it's gonna give off some vibes

No, you idiot, I was making the point that she never sat on anyone's lap. CTRL-F the story, there is no mention of laps.

You can't make up poo poo that didn't happen in the story, then try to use it as a justification for why you're right.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

WampaLord posted:

I'm familiar with the ability and yes, I am able to do so,

Ah, so you weren't really having involuntary fart fits like sudden coughing or sneezing. It sounded like you were.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

maskenfreiheit posted:

"she's not flirting, she's just from south america" is definitely a thing

I've had people misread me as flirting here because I guess my body language/mannerisms are too open and friendly for Americans. On the other hand, people think I'm just being friendly when I'm flirting with them back in Israel. :shrug:

BONUS ROUND

[Meta] I trained a recurrent neural network to generate /r/legaladvice submissions combined with /r/relationship_advice submissions

[Update] [27/m] My friend is suing me over me. What do I do?

And that bot's name was Roger a Muirebe.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

WampaLord posted:

No, you idiot, I was making the point that she never sat on anyone's lap. CTRL-F the story, there is no mention of laps.

You can't make up poo poo that didn't happen in the story, then try to use it as a justification for why you're right.

You're continuing to miss my point.

I'm not making anything up I'm giving you an example of where you're probably agree that a line was crossed even if it was done completely platonically. To the family in this story, the line was crossed even if she had done things platonically. That's my entire point.

It's a subjective line, you can draw it more or less conservatively, but I don't think the given example was really that unreasonable of them. At the same time I can also believe the OP's intent wasn't to be flirty, just like I could accept a hypothetical person could sit one someone's lap in a non flirty manner. It's subjective.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ArbitraryC posted:

I'm not making anything up I'm giving you an example of where you're probably agree that a line was crossed even if it was done completely platonically. To the family in this story, the line was crossed even if she had done things platonically. That's my entire point.

So when you said this line:

quote:

I don't think the OP necessarily is trying to stir up poo poo or anything but it's not like they wanted her to wear a burqa, they just don't want her sitting in their husband's laps.

Knowing now that she didn't sit in any laps, do you realize how it comes across as making poo poo up?

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

ArbitraryC posted:

It's a subjective line, you can draw it more or less conservatively, but I don't think the given example was really that unreasonable of them. At the same time I can also believe the OP's intent wasn't to be flirty, just like I could accept a hypothetical person could sit one someone's lap in a non flirty manner. It's subjective.

Lmao

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

WampaLord posted:

Knowing now that she didn't sit in any laps, do you realize how it comes across as making poo poo up?
It's not making poo poo up I'm trying to put things in perspective. They also didn't actually ask her to wear a burka, I'm providing two extremes.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ArbitraryC posted:

It's not making poo poo up I'm trying to put things in perspective. They also didn't actually ask her to wear a burka, I'm providing two extremes.

Okay but why bother making up a hypothetical when we have the actual story and events of what happened?

She was playing in a pool and a titty popped out. That's what happened, she's not going up to husbands and riding their boners in front of everyone, so drop the dumb hypotheticals.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

WampaLord posted:

Okay but why bother making up a hypothetical when we have the actual story and events of what happened?

She was playing in a pool and a titty popped out. That's what happened, she's not going up to husbands and riding their boners in front of everyone, so drop the dumb hypotheticals.

"don't wrestle half naked with my husband in the pool" falls somewhere between accusing the OP of being a foul temptress and some p reasonable boundaries which is why I phrased it that way.

I think both sides in the story made some mistakes and I think both sides also have an understandable perspective.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I [27F] am worried that I have given my friend [29F] of 2 years the wrong impression.

quote:

Brad and I have been friends for about 2 years. I met him when I lived in a different state. My husband was away for 6 months for a work training, and Brad and I became very close. It was clear to me that Brad had strong feelings for me, but I was married and didn't want to go down that road with him.

Soon after my husband's work training ended, he and I moved across the country. A few months ago, he and I got a divorce.

Brad is a good friend and he and I stayed in contact with him. When I told him I had gotten a divorce, he was excited and told me that he's been waiting for this, and that he was very interested in me. I was grieving my marriage, and Brad really did help me through the harder parts of divorce. I thought I was developing feelings for him too.

Brad wanted to come see me in the state I'm currently in. I sort of agreed, I wasn't sure it was a good idea to start dating so soon after my divorce. I told Brad we would make plans sometime soon. This past Monday, Brad asked me what my plans were for the weekend. I told him I didn't have any, just relaxing from work. The next day, Brad tells me that he has bought a plane ticket and is coming for the weekend. This cost him about $700.

This immediately made me uncomfortable, I feel like he should have discussed the details with me before just purchasing a plane ticket, but hey, I figured either way it would be a good time.

Since Brad has gotten here things have been incredibly awkward. I hate to say this, but I'm finding myself disgusted by everything he does. I hate the way he breathes, I hate the sound of his voice, I hate the way his fingers look. I feel silly hating things about someone who has honestly been nothing but kind to me.

I told Brad I wanted to take things slow and try to work on just being friends while he is here. He really hasn't gotten the message. He's told me repeatedly that this is the moment he's been waiting for the last 2 years we haven't seen each other. He is always trying to stroke my hair, or sit too close to my personal space. Last night he tried to sleep in the same bed as me, I went to the sofa. This morning I woke up and he was sitting next to the sofa staring at me.

Something is creeping me the gently caress out about his behavior. Am I crazy? Isn't he laying it on a little thick?

How do I survive the next 2 days that he is here? How do I tell him that I'm not interested in the kindest possible way? Ive never been so uncomfortable in my own home! How can I make the next 2 days less awkward without breaking this guy's heart?

TL;DR how do I tell creepy friend visiting from out of state that he needs to chill?
:frogsiren:

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I was going to jokingly point out some poo poo in that story but it's actually kinda a wretched story of miserable people that don't know what they're doing and I can't find anyone to even laugh at there

Like the wife didn't give a poo poo about the marriage and then when it ended the latin vulture that was waiting to bang her swooped in and she's all "oh wait this is much too soon" but he's circling anyway

:barf:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Today, in Crazy Town:

My (26F) SO (27M) of three years wont use the gym membership provided by my work (i.e. its free to him) and pays for one at a gym he likes better. This annoys the crap out of me. Is he being silly for paying for something he can get for free or am I being petty (maybe controlling)?

quote:

Hello everyone, thank you for taking time out of your Sunday to read about my drama. I know that in the grand scheme of things this is a pretty silly problem to have espcially since me and my boyfriend have a really great relationship and I'm thinking he's going to propose any day now (I've already picked out a ring).

Here's the deal, in December I finished my MSN (Master of Science-Nursing) and to my amazement got a wonderful job. When HR gave me the list of benefits I was so excited to see that we got a free membership for a national chain health club (call it LB Fitness for clarity). I don't enjoy gyms too much because I'm a big time runner, but I knew my BF would love this since at the time he was in off season for triathlon and was using his gym quite a bit (another competing national chain--Lifeline fitness for clarity) and I felt a sense of pride that I could use my skills, job and benefits to provide some value to him (he will always make way more money that I do so I always feel like I'm not providing enough).

Well he started going to LB Fitness in February and I was so happy to be providing this for him. I thought all was going well as he was spending a ton of time in the gym before he started his outside training again in April.

Well yesterday, my hospital had agreed to do a free health screening at the Lifeline Fitness (his old gym). I told my BF where I was going to be and he said "oh cool, maybe I'll see you there...I have a swim today." And I was like "oh no babe, not LB Fitness, Lifeline." He said yeah, that's what he meant too.

So I inquired a little more and he said that he had tried out LB Fitness for a few weeks and realized it wasn't for him and went back to Lifeline. I was like "Danny, what the hell, it's free and I was happy to be providing it for you!" He said basically that LB Fitness was way too much of a "globoGym" and he liked Lifeline much better because they actually had a better pool with better hours and he liked being loyal to them because they have an entire Triathlon series. I was like "babe, what about being loyal to me and what I provide for you? And you're paying like $1200 a year for something I give you for free" He said he didn't think it was a big deal and he honestly thought he told me (in fairness, he may have, February and March were crazy for me in my new job).

I was annoyed with his "no big deal" comment and left a little early without saying goodbye. Sure enough I saw him at the Lifeline and couldn't bring myself to speak to him even though I knew I was being a little petty but I really was annoyed with him.

We were supposed to hang out at his place last night but I just told him I had a headache and wanted to go to bed. He said "is this still about the gym thing?" I said no. He said he was sorry and would try LB Fitness again. I said "please just let it go." He texted back "love you." and I went to bed.

I know I'm not totally in the right here but I also think that my feelings are my feelings and I'm not totally wrong either. Is there any way to resolve this?

tl;dr: Boyfriend is paying for a gym membership when my work can provide one for free. I was very proud to be able to provide something for him and I'm upset for a lot of reasons.

Yes, you are being petty and controlling. Next case! *gavel*

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

WampaLord posted:

Today, in Crazy Town:

My (26F) SO (27M) of three years wont use the gym membership provided by my work (i.e. its free to him) and pays for one at a gym he likes better. This annoys the crap out of me. Is he being silly for paying for something he can get for free or am I being petty (maybe controlling)?

Being a loving partner means providing poo poo they don't want based on not taking the time to learn the other's preferences, then being SUPER pouty when it turns out that the gift was a lovely one due to lack of knowing the other person. That's how it works.

It's not that the gift giver is garbage for demanding praise for something the other person didn't want, it's the recipient who is ungrateful, you see...

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

the real property version of "if you shave your pubes, your dick will look bigger"

quote:

I am fencing in my property. New neighbors are upset because they feel it is in eye sore.

I have just over an acre of land in a residential area. I am in the process of having a fence put up around the entire property. It is being installed by a licensed contractor, we have the proper permits for the work being done, and the plans have already been inspected by the city to confirm it fits code with respect to distance from property line and so on.

The plans for the fence were made over a year ago (they were the last stage in a series of improvements to the property) at which time the homes on both sides of me were vacant. I had spoken to the owners of both properties as a courtesy FYI in case there were any issues or concerns to address.

Unknown to me, both properties went up for sale and were sold to families who have moved in within the past month. I introduced myself at the time they moved in and talked to them about the fact that a lot of work is being done on my property - that it won't be at any odd hours and the date around which it will be finished.

As soon as they saw the fence going up both new property owners were upset. My lot is very large and their lots are substantially smaller, but without a fence the spacing of the houses could give the impression that we all have nicely sized lots (instead of me having a very large one and them having small ones). They both believe that my fence will make it obvious that their lots are small, and make them look even smaller than they are because their lots will be compared to a much larger lot.

After several weeks of discussion they are now threatening to get together and sue me for reduced property values for each of their homes, and the fact that in general they apparently believe my fence is an "eyesore."

I am wondering what the likelihood is that this will turn into anything (i.e. a problem for me and my fence).

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

Haifisch posted:

I [27F] am worried that I have given my friend [29F] of 2 years the wrong impression.

Get him the gently caress out of the house before you become a skinsuit. What were they even thinking?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

quote:

We were supposed to hang out at his place last night but I just told him I had a headache and wanted to go to bed. He said "is this still about the gym thing?" I said no. He said he was sorry and would try LB Fitness again. I said "please just let it go." He texted back "love you." and I went to bed.

this is my favorite part, she's holding the grudge, lies about it, and then tells him to let it go before stonewalling his "I love you" text.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

When my grandma was 75 she got a lawyer and threatened to take Sears to court when they tried to make her retire. When it got into the local papers they caved, and she ran the makeup/perfume counter for another 13 years. In situations like that, "Are they gonna kill someone else?" is the only question that matters. If Grandpa wants to die with his boots on, you do not want to be the poor bastard sent to try and take him out.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

WampaLord posted:

Today, in Crazy Town:

"My work pays for the shittiest cheapest gym available, and my bf mysteriously wants to use a gym suited for his needs instead. Help?"

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

After several weeks of discussion they are now threatening to get together and sue me for reduced property values for each of their homes, and the fact that in general they apparently believe my fence is an "eyesore."
Well, the good news is it sounds like those neighbors weren't worth knowing anyway. And now OP has a good fence to be a good neighbor instead. :v:

Seriously though, how loving stupid would you have to be to start poo poo the instant you move into a new neighborhood?

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
Do not underestimate the power of people to lose their poo poo over MAH PROPERTY VALUES.

Also capitalism in its current form pressures people to make their home the largest source of net worth and equity making ownership a precursor to class mobility.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Haifisch posted:

"My work pays for the shittiest cheapest gym available, and my bf mysteriously wants to use a gym suited for his needs instead. Help?"

Well, the good news is it sounds like those neighbors weren't worth knowing anyway. And now OP has a good fence to be a good neighbor instead. :v:

Seriously though, how loving stupid would you have to be to start poo poo the instant you move into a new neighborhood?

Like two weeks after I moved in one of my neighbors came over to tell me I was cutting my grass too short.

People are loving nuts about their property values.

Also, I don't cut my grass too short, he leaves his too goddamn long.

"This was disclosed to the prior lot owners and is approved/permitted work, if the prior owner didn't disclose that to you prior to selling that's between you and them," is a quick (albeit dickish) way to make that go away.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

i also love that people think they can sue for any diminution of their property values. hot tip, you can't sue your neighbor for doing normal-rear end things with his land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

MF_James posted:

Cubs rule brewers drool.

Also, how can you not understand baseball? Like I get that maybe you don't understand why bases get stolen in certain situations, but is "Ball gets pitched, dude hits ball, people scramble to catch/field ball and get it to base before person reaches it" really hard?

Way behind on the thread but my marriage nearly ended when I tried to explain balks