Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

Not giving a gently caress is a big part of Sisko's character. If Sisko gave a gently caress about Starfleet rules things would have gone very badly in Rapture and In the Pale Moonlight or even The Circle.

He has chewed both O'Brien and Dax out at least once each though. Granted, he ignores direct orders from an admiral just a few episodes prior, and goes to rescue Odo from the Tal Shiar.

Starfleet protocol must just lean toward success - if you disobey orders but what you do actually works, you don't see much in the way of consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

It's the Federation Starfleet. Consequences are "stern reprimand on your file", "explaining yourself to an admiral who will sternly tell you it was unacceptable, just like the last 5 time you did it", and occasionally "demoted back to the job you were best at".

The worst punishment we've seen on screen was likely "scrub plasma conduits for a month" which sounds like a bitch, but that was only when the character actually failed at something.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Jeb can you give us a heads up of when you are going to be watching Best of Both Worlds? I want to follow your reactions live.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

8one6 posted:

It's the Federation Starfleet. Consequences are "stern reprimand on your file", "explaining yourself to an admiral who will sternly tell you it was unacceptable, just like the last 5 time you did it", and occasionally "demoted back to the job you were best at".

The worst punishment we've seen on screen was likely "scrub plasma conduits for a month" which sounds like a bitch, but that was only when the character actually failed at something.

Tom Paris and Ro Laren both went to Federation prisons before we met them, and Paris in the Delta Quadrant got a demotion and 30 days in the brig. Eddington also ended up in prison eventually.

Sisko also tells Worf after he gets one of those reprimands, "most likely you will never get your own command because of this."

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I just got to season 3 of Enterprise. HOW DID THEY MAKE THE THEME SONG WORSE. Jesus.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MorgaineDax posted:

Cosplay getting super specific these days.
Wow.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Was wondering again about the Risa discussion I think was way back, if they have at least part of the planet be Hawaii all day every day, makes me wonder if they vary it up.

Imagine a ski resort where the sky is always clear and the snow's always... whatever snow is good for skiing on. And just next door the snow is solid and packed so you can leave your kids to construct full snow castles.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

He has chewed both O'Brien and Dax out at least once each though. Granted, he ignores direct orders from an admiral just a few episodes prior, and goes to rescue Odo from the Tal Shiar.

Starfleet protocol must just lean toward success - if you disobey orders but what you do actually works, you don't see much in the way of consequences.

Don't forget Sisko is a religious figure to the Bajorans and Starfleet Command can't pull him out of his position without endangering the whole Bajor project so Sisko knows he has a ton of job security. Also he's a good friend of the wormhole aliens and by Season 6 they can't really remove him from his position ever at all. I think in Rapture they have the "what are you gonna do, fire me?" conversation.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Lol yeah, they had some really nice speculative medicine sci fi then turned around and set back understanding of evolution a few decades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99lyU5N--f8

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Senor Tron posted:

Jeb can you give us a heads up of when you are going to be watching Best of Both Worlds? I want to follow your reactions live.

Okay, I'm gonna watch it at 9 EST on Monday.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
Are you going to watch parts 1 and 2 back-to-back?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

But I sometimes pause the episode to take a screenshot or get up so it won't be in perfect real-time.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

shadok posted:

Are you going to watch parts 1 and 2 back-to-back?

I'm thinking about waiting a day between them to get the broadcast experience if it's a cliffhanger.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I'm thinking about waiting a day between them to get the broadcast experience if it's a cliffhanger.

To get the true experience you need to watch part one tomorrow and part 2 in November.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ironically, Sisko is far more of a politician than Picard. Picard is fanatically dedicated to the mission of Starfleet and the principles for which it stands. Sisko has a more instrumental relationship with Starfleet; he is an important instrument for Starfleet to achieve its goals on the Cardassian border, but he isn't afraid to use Starfleet to change the galaxy in accordance to Sisko's personal principles.

Picard has made Starfleet into his life; Sisko plans to build a house on Bajor and seriously considers resignation to go live on Bajor more than once.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

HOW DO THE FEDERATION CITIZENS ON DS9 PAY FOR QUARK'S BAR AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

With latinum, I thought this had been long settled.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Arglebargle III posted:

Latinum earned by working for other polities, I'd imagine.

As for Starfleet, the Federation probably has a reserve of latinum for the purposes of trade and gives a stipend to personnel stationed in places where latinum is helpful to have, like DS9.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
After reading The Fifty Year Mission, I can't help but think TOS became a cargo cult thing for the people making Star Trek post-TNG. It seems like in these interviews everyone made it a point of pride to say that TOS is the best without much real consideration.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Well that's because they actually watched TOS. Well, a few episodes. Well, selections from a few episodes, in a board room meeting, "to get the feel."

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

You are supposed to say TOS for maximum cred with hardcores. Talk of things like two-thirds of TOS episodes being loving dire are not to be mentioned.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Also if your main way of having seen Star Trek are the movies, then the TOS ones average out way better than the TNG ones.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah if it weren't for the TOS movies, people would have stopped giving a poo poo about Star Trek in the 80's.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It also shows how much sexing up Star Trek is missing the point, since the best most memorable films star a bunch of fat old men talking.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

It also shows how much sexing up Star Trek is missing the point, since the best most memorable films star a bunch of fat old men talking.

All of the best parts of Star Trek are just people talking, I literally don't have any favorite "action" moments I can think of off the top of my head.

Maybe the Enterprise separating for battle? That was kinda cool?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

dont even fink about it posted:

Yeah if it weren't for the TOS movies, people would have stopped giving a poo poo about Star Trek in the 80's.

Fair enough.

WampaLord posted:

All of the best parts of Star Trek are just people talking, I literally don't have any favorite "action" moments I can think of off the top of my head.

Maybe the Enterprise separating for battle? That was kinda cool?

The imagination of Shatner's Kirk as an action hero is especially hilarious to me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

You are supposed to say TOS for maximum cred with hardcores. Talk of things like two-thirds of TOS episodes being loving dire are not to be mentioned.

Except it doesn't work, because most hardcores would have TNG or DS9 at the top of their list. And most casuals would have the JJ films, TNG or Voyager in mind.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Arglebargle III posted:

There's a scene in Encounter at Farpoint where Beverly is shopping for cloth and she tells the merchant to bill it to the ship.

So I think every Starfleet ship or starbase has some money allocated to it and the crews just spend that when they interact with non-Federation economies. Everyone is budgeted a certain amount and if you blow it all on Dabo, you're eating at the replimat for the rest of the month.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

I heard them all in my head

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
TOS is the one literally everyone on Earth has heard of. If you go into the least nerdy venue you can think of and ask people if they've heard of Star Trek, they will reply "is that the one with Captain Kark and Mr. Sprocket?" So whenever a new Star Trek thing happens, the execs need to make sure they mention how it relates to Kirk and Spock.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
I'm watching "Final Mission", and Dirgo is funny. I expected this episode to at least be partly about how Dirgo's low-tech improvised lifestyle may not be "star fleet regulation" but it gets the job done.

Instead he's just a huge dumbass, is wrong about literally everything, and dies like an rear end in a top hat.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Pakled posted:

As for Starfleet, the Federation probably has a reserve of latinum for the purposes of trade and gives a stipend to personnel stationed in places where latinum is helpful to have, like DS9.

"I'd like 5 bars of gold-pressed latinum please."
"Well...I don't know. It's a limited resource."
"But...but I'm a citizen!"
"Maybe...there's something you have...that's of...equal value? You can give it to me in compensation?"
"Or...I could do something for you! Something that's worth the same amount as five bars!"

"AAAGH!"
"Gene? What is it honey?"
"I just had the most horrible nightmare."

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Cojawfee posted:

TOS is the one literally everyone on Earth has heard of. If you go into the least nerdy venue you can think of and ask people if they've heard of Star Trek, they will reply "is that the one with Captain Kark and Mr. Sprocket?" So whenever a new Star Trek thing happens, the execs need to make sure they mention how it relates to Kirk and Spock.

This is very, very accurate.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FuturePastNow posted:

There's a scene in Encounter at Farpoint where Beverly is shopping for cloth and she tells the merchant to bill it to the ship.

So I think every Starfleet ship or starbase has some money allocated to it and the crews just spend that when they interact with non-Federation economies. Everyone is budgeted a certain amount and if you blow it all on Dabo, you're eating at the replimat for the rest of the month.

Well except for the fifty times throughout the years they directly contradict this by definitively stating that money doesn't exist anymore.

Cojawfee posted:

Someone somewhere in marketing did the arithmetic and came up with "Yes. We must reboot TOS-era Star Trek over and over."

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Well except for the fifty times throughout the years they directly contradict this by definitively stating that money doesn't exist anymore.

No, they're clear that money exists and is used everywhere that isn't the Federation.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

FuturePastNow posted:

No, they're clear that money exists and is used everywhere that isn't the Federation.

The real answer is that Star Trek is just wildly inconsistent, but if you need head canon it's easy to imagine that the Federation is just so hilariously rich that it's fine with letting people living on a station like DS9 run up basically infinite tabs. Nobody cares if you're in Quark's every day playing Dabo or buying rounds for the house, just as long as you're not, like, literally trying to buy the bar on your Federation account.

Either that or the Federation has secret latinum replication technology and they're handing the stuff out like candy as part of a long game to crash the Ferengi economy.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The most sensible in-universe explanation is that "we've evolved beyond money" is just propaganda for the consumption of alien species and humans from the unenlightened past.

Whenever Federation people are alone with each other or really really need to buy something they talk about money all the time.

"Ah - Tuvok's meditation lamp. I was with him when he got it six years ago, from a Vulcan master. Who doubled the price when he saw our Starfleet insignias."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

The most sensible in-universe explanation is that "we've evolved beyond money" is just propaganda for the consumption of alien species and humans from the unenlightened past.

Whenever Federation people are alone with each other or really really need to buy something they talk about money all the time.

"Ah - Tuvok's meditation lamp. I was with him when he got it six years ago, from a Vulcan master. Who doubled the price when he saw our Starfleet insignias."

Wouldn't you double the price when you run into the post-scarcity guys who don't really know or care how much anything costs because their society is so rich and so automated that it can buy anything for them?