Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Skoll posted:

So with a few more steam market sales, I'll finally be able to get this game. Is there any advice for someone completely new? I only played in the beta last year and that beta was a week at most iirc.

Get drunk, don't take it seriously, playing with goons is probably fun but far from mandatory like most games (I always play with pubbies and it's fine).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Pharmaskittle posted:

Get drunk, don't take it seriously, playing with goons is probably fun but far from mandatory like most games (I always play with pubbies and it's fine).

Be prepared to die. Often.

It's a pretty easy game to pick up and play and most people I've encountered are super cool about helping new players.

I'd say try out each available counselor until you figure out how you want to play. Same with Jason, although I'd recommend learning the ropes with Jason 3, he's referred to as the "Noob Jason" but he's pretty good as an all around Jason and pretty forgiving for a new player with his cool downs and such.

Never trust Chad. Unless it's a Battle Chad, in which case hang out with them and make sure you have a weapon just in case.

And as previously mentioned, get drunk or stoned, don't take it too seriously and just bask in the absurd 80's slasher movie that you're taking part in.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Unironically one of my favourite moments in the movies.

Only it immediately sucks afterwards because it just lightly swipes Bernie Lomax's midsection and not going full bore into it and making a blood and guts fountain that should have happened!!! :argh:

This Friday movie is my favorite for being batshit crazy, introducing psychic powers for no reason, Bernie Lomax, the teens next door, and a deadbeat dad that can be magically summoned, oh and also using telekinesis to crush Jason's skull with the mask strap.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I want a remake of Part 7 that uses the same Jason design, the same basic plot, but amp up the neutered violence and make the telekenesis fight at the end even more insane.

Just go balls out

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Burkion posted:

I want a remake of Part 7 that uses the same Jason design, the same basic plot, but amp up the neutered violence

This is pretty much my major complaint for all of the Friday the 13th movies between 5 and the reboot. I read each movie's Wikipedia entry as I watched them, and one constant in the post-A New Beginning movies is that the MPAA was being super dickish to them, so pretty much every kill had to be edited down to almost nothing.

That, and they kind of became parodies of themselves.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I don't know this for a fact, but Friday the 13th and Part 2 were banned for a long time in their uncut forms in England during the "Video Nasties" years and I think that was a major contribution to the later movies getting cut way down for content. Just good old English Thatcherism and American Puritanism. I think mainly the studios were worried about international distribution, and the Friday the 13th series was super popular enough to export to other countries and they wanted the biggest market saturation.

That's just my theory :shrug:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

joylessdivision posted:

And as previously mentioned, get drunk or stoned, don't take it too seriously

These are all things that get you killed in a Friday movie. What else are you going to recommend, premarital sex??

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Had a group of weird dudes earlier on, chatting lots of poo poo to each other. They fixed the four seater, but couldn't find the keys. I had them.

As I approached the car, Jason chased them off, so I thought "gently caress it, Vanessa deserves a rest after all that running", and hopped in a nice spacious car all on my own.

An AJ ran in front of me, but nah man, I was into the solo ride at that point, so she was brutally run over. The guys who had fixed the car were busy screaming at me to pick them up but at that point it was just way more fun to gently caress them over and ride out whilst tooting my horn.

They were all very mad in the lobby.

So yeah, gently caress taking this game seriously because there's always going to be something, like a rogue Vanessa, to cripple even a perfect round.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

These are all things that get you killed in a Friday movie. What else are you going to recommend, premarital sex??

I mean not while you're playing,no. That's inconsiderate to your partner.

:murder:

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
So I just rolled Jason in a match, and while I'm doing the usual trapping and breaking of doors and windows I come across a counselor and kill her. I run across a couple more and they're giving me a tough time, eventually knocking off my mask.

I morph out and pop stalk near a cabin where they're all gathering and they start talking about killing me. They're laying at the whole plan of sending a person out as a sacrifice to draw me away and get Tommy in. During the course of this, they make mention that there's only one female character left, I hit tab and sure enough, they're right.

So my new objective is to take out the one Vanessa.

The sacrificial lamb takes off, while the rest surround Vanessa like they're secret service and slowly make their way in the general direction of my cabin - hopping in cabins along the way for supplies.

I morph away, slip into a cabin and turn on stalk. Adam hops in through the window, rounds the corner and screams when he sees me standing there and I punch his head off.

I then shift out the way that I came and start hacking at the Vanessa. But she's quick and they close ranks quickly to stun me again. At which point I morph out into the woods for my next opportunity.

They start moving again, and from my new vantage point, I hum a knife at another one of Vanessa's guards, which puts him into the injured state. While one is spraying the other, trying to see where the knife came from, I shift in for another ambush.

By now, they're in a panic and are hitting each other as much as they're hitting me. By the time I morph out again, two of the remaining three guards are in the injured state as they reached the main Lodge at Packanack (that I had already destroyed at the beginning of the round).

Finally at Packanack, my third and final ambush gets the Vanessa as the remaining counselors scramble to save themselves. But, by this time, they we're in bad shape: they were injured, their resources depleted, and they hadn't worked on a back-up plan.

As I ran down the last counselor (the lamb), I told him that their plan may have worked if they hadn't laid out their entire plan within earshot.

Then I chopped his head off with an axe. :allears: Good times.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 6, 2017

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The uncut VHS sfx reel for part 7 is on youtube and man that was some good poo poo they cut out.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Origami Dali posted:

The uncut VHS sfx reel for part 7 is on youtube and man that was some good poo poo they cut out.

You should link it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Here's the Part 7 deleted death scenes with commentary:

https://youtu.be/mrgfqaMVAlM

They really are 100% better, and much more in keeping with the earlier films. I still think the victims were the weakest in the series, though. Most of them were just a rough sketch of an archetype. And the ending is dumb with gross make-up or without.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Getting pretty tired of people hanging on to their excessive thick skin perks. Makes it hard to figure out what it takes to kill someone.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Enderzero posted:

Getting pretty tired of people hanging on to their excessive thick skin perks. Makes it hard to figure out what it takes to kill someone.

You can have my excessive thick skin when you take it from my cold dead hands

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Burkion posted:

What this thing said.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Burkion posted:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Also, I haven't left you guys, I've just been addicted to Foxhole.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Neither did I, I was at a wrestling thing all weekend and now I'm sick from alcohol abuse... :smith:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm writing a thing.

30,000 words in, plan to have 50,000 by Thursday.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Enderzero posted:

Broken Thick Skin is life but I am wondering why they didn't force an unequip of all counselor perks with that patch.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

McSpanky posted:

Broken Thick Skin is life but I am wondering why they didn't force an unequip of all counselor perks with that patch.

:ssh:

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
They probably will when they do a clientside patch instead of stealth nerfing it serverside.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I'm nearly level 30 and I still haven't rolled even a lovely Thick Skin :smith:

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Archenteron posted:

I'm nearly level 30 and I still haven't rolled even a lovely Thick Skin :smith:

I'm nearly 70 and rolled it twice: 1% and a 7%. About the same with Restful.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I want to create a Battle Buggzy build so I can steal Jason's mask as soon as possible, but I can't for the life of me roll Thrasher :mad: Courier Vanessa is fun and all but sometimes I just want to disrespect Jason as hard as possible.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Stone Cold Stunning Chad is the best "build", I have longer stuns and stronger hits with Chad and last night I think I knocked Jason down or out like four or five times with the same bat. I eventually died but at least I kept him occupied for a while.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/friday13thgame/status/895010524458627074

Team killing is being patched out in non private matches.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

joylessdivision posted:

Oh thank God

It's remaining in Private Matches

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

joylessdivision posted:

Is team killing in public matches a huge problem? I wouldn't know because I play on Xbone and have only had like 3 public matches work.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Spacebump posted:

Is team killing in public matches a huge problem? I wouldn't know because I play on Xbone and have only had like 3 public matches work.

I have no idea. I've always played private on Xbox because public barely works.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/friday13thgame/status/895028785829040128

https://twitter.com/friday13thgame/status/895028895065530368

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Oh man, I'm really not a fan of how they're approaching TK's. Some of my favorite moments have been Jason using counselors as human shields or watching people get fed up with annoying players and blow them away.

I can only speak for myself, but I *really* have not been seeing the QP TK epidemic that's apparently out there.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The team kill thing was a problem they had to solve, because you cant have it be possible but then also ban players for doing it. Either it's possible and not punished, or you disable it entirely. The middleground they had with manual reporting and banning sucked. Disabling it was probably the right move.

I'm more interested in seeing how those smaller maps play.

And if there's a dance emote

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Kelp Plankton posted:

And if there's a dance emote

Please please please let us get what we want the Crispin Glover Dance

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Great, now annoying jackasses will just run around with the gas or battery until Jason decides to kill them.

Although I usually already do that with the keys cause gently caress if anyone is gonna leave me behind!!!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah i'm really unclear how that behavior is any different from otherwise genuine play right now

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Spacebump posted:

It's prominent enough that if you Google the game, one of the first results is a Kotaku article talking about how endemic team killing is.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Good god the community for this game disgusts me. They announce some speedbumb freebie content 'While they work on more substantial stuff' and the general public is angry as hell that it isn't what they want. Chill out, murder children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Coolguye posted:

yeah i'm really unclear how that behavior is any different from otherwise genuine play right now

There are players legit lovely enough that you really can't tell if they're toting that battery into the woods so it'll never be found, or if they're just too dense to understand why it's a bad idea.

e: Also I have like 20+ hours in the game and I've had teamkillers a small handful of times. And one of those times was pretty funny so I wasn't even mad.

• Locked thread