Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

It was shot in 35mm and the new Film Foundation restoration used the newly discovered camera negative. Most public domain prints are from 16mm, though.

I was wondering what Janus/Criterion used for a source because as far as I knew the original negatives were destroyed due to poor storage decades ago. I can't wait to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

Would Night of the Living Dead even benefit much from a 4K scan?

I think Texas Chainsaw and Henry proved that scanning in 4K is worth it even for 16mm.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

I was wondering what Janus/Criterion used for a source because as far as I knew the original negatives were destroyed due to poor storage decades ago. I can't wait to see it.

Seems like they were either mistakenly thought destroyed or they were able to salvage them like The Apu Trilogy.

Steen71 posted:

I think Texas Chainsaw and Henry proved that scanning in 4K is worth it even for 16mm.

4K can be overkill for 16mm depending on the material. There was no point to 4K for Manos: The Hands of Fate because it was reversal and not particularly well shot. However, TCM and Henry were shot on Super-16 negative stock, which maxes out at 4K. There's also the aspect of oversampling. I think those two and Following are the only 16mm films I know of that had a full 4K treatment.

Warner Bros. tried out 8K on regular 35mm for a short time, using it for the 4K restorations of The Wizard of Oz, Doctor Zhivago, and Gone with the Wind... but they've since switched to 6K since there simply isn't 8K worth of information on standard 35mm and 6K is more than enough for oversampling.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Seems like they were either mistakenly thought destroyed or they were able to salvage them like The Apu Trilogy.

4K can be overkill for 16mm depending on the material. There was no point to 4K for Manos: The Hands of Fate because it was reversal and not particularly well shot. However, TCM and Henry were shot on Super-16 negative stock, which maxes out at 4K. There's also the aspect of oversampling. I think those two and Following are the only 16mm films I know of that had a full 4K treatment.

Warner Bros. tried out 8K on regular 35mm for a short time, using it for the 4K restorations of The Wizard of Oz, Doctor Zhivago, and Gone with the Wind... but they've since switched to 6K since there simply isn't 8K worth of information on standard 35mm and 6K is more than enough for oversampling.

Does this mean I don;t need to double dip on TCM? I still never picked up the most recent blu-ray but I do have the original Dark Sky release.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Does this mean I don;t need to double dip on TCM? I still never picked up the most recent blu-ray but I do have the original Dark Sky release.

Looking at the Blu-ray.com caps for both releases, the older Dark Sky edition looks overly digital. Pretty obvious it was an older transfer meant for DVD, which probably looked great at 480p. The MPI 4K edition looks much more like film. Main issue I see on the Dark Sky is edge enhancement and an overall soft image, as if the grain was filtered out too much. Nothing like Predator, but looks more like an upscale than true 16mm.

Also, I forgot that the original Evil Dead was done in 4K from the 16mm a/b negative, as well. Janus Films also created a new restoration for Monterey Pop in 4K, while the current Criterion Blu-ray is from an older 2K transfer. Though, it looked great for 16mm, so I don't think it'll look as different outside of projection in large screen venues.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
If you have Prime, I think the new transfer of TCM is up on there.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

This is our of nowhere, but I hate Disney. The Disney Vault is super real and drives the prices of some movies in the second hand market way up. When I worked at a used video store, Lion King consistently sold for $40+ daily for just the DVD. I want them to just have their whole library consistently available, none of this "retiring" crap.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Liar Lyre posted:

This is our of nowhere, but I hate Disney. The Disney Vault is super real and drives the prices of some movies in the second hand market way up. When I worked at a used video store, Lion King consistently sold for $40+ daily for just the DVD. I want them to just have their whole library consistently available, none of this "retiring" crap.

As someone who works at a used video store, with the DVD/BR market in free fall, it's good for some movies to retain value

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Half Price Books prices all their used blu rays at full retail. Like today I saw Who Framed Roger Rabbit $12.50 and the Alien Quadrilogy $30.

But every once in awhile I catch them slipping:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Liar Lyre posted:

I got my copy for free from a Blockbuster dumpster back during the great goon dumpster diving craze of 2005.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Milestone Films has a 50% off sale
https://milestonefilms.com/collections/2017-dog-days-of-summer-sale-1

Not a lot of Blu releases, but the Shirley Clarke films are supposed to be great.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Boinks posted:

Half Price Books prices all their used blu rays at full retail. Like today I saw Who Framed Roger Rabbit $12.50 and the Alien Quadrilogy $30.

But every once in awhile I catch them slipping:

Awesome find! I regularly go to yard sales for finds like this. Best I ever found was a copy of the Criterion edition of House on DVD for $2.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Our store prices the majority of used Blus between 5-12 bucks

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

Milestone Films has a 50% off sale
https://milestonefilms.com/collections/2017-dog-days-of-summer-sale-1

Not a lot of Blu releases, but the Shirley Clarke films are supposed to be great.

The Killer of Sheep set is extremely worth it.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Liar Lyre posted:

Awesome find! I regularly go to yard sales for finds like this. Best I ever found was a copy of the Criterion edition of House on DVD for $2.

I've found Dead Alive on DVD for a buck at a yard sale and more recently Dogma on Blu Ray for $4 at a thrift store.

Still hoping to find Fright Night 2 someday.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

trdn89 posted:

The Killer of Sheep set is extremely worth it.

Killer of Sheep does indeed own.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Alec Eiffel posted:

Our store prices the majority of used Blus between 5-12 bucks

Go look what people are selling the Dawn of the Dead blu-ray for.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CPL593H posted:

Go look what people are selling the Dawn of the Dead blu-ray for.

Aye, we price rare and OOP higher too, though we usually try to undercut even the lowest seller on Amazon.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Is the Unrated Extended cut of The Counselor better than the theatrical?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

RedSpider posted:

Is the Unrated Extended cut of The Counselor better than the theatrical?

It really depends if you like that movie to begin with, this isn't a KINGDOM OF HEAVEN type turnaround, it's just a bit longer. Either version is fine though. Like most Unrated Editions it just runs a couple of seconds longer.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

What are the odds of the Netflix Marvel shows getting released on Blu ray now that Disney has decided to pull their content and set up their own streaming service?I

Edit; thanks vvv

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 9, 2017

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Happy Hippo posted:

What are the odds of the Netflix Marvel shows getting released on Blu day now that Disney has decided to pull their content and set up their own streaming service?

The Netflix Marvel shows aren't affected and tv traditionally sells bad on Blu so probably not too good.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

The Netflix Marvel shows aren't affected and tv traditionally sells bad on Blu so probably not too good.

Daredevil season 2 and Jessica Jones season 1 are out later this month.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Obviously not much info has been released about Disneys streaming plans, but if they put their entire back catalog of animated movies on their that's going to hit a lot of second hand stores pretty hard. Disney movies are usually the only thing guaranteed to sell for decent prices.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Happy Hippo posted:

What are the odds of the Netflix Marvel shows getting released on Blu ray now that Disney has decided to pull their content and set up their own streaming service?I

Edit; thanks vvv

Daredevil is already out on blu-ray.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I really doubt they're gonna drop their entire catalogue of animated movies on there day one. It's going to be a Nintendo Virtual Console style drip feed.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It'll never happen, but I'd sign up if Disney did something like Filmstruck for their classics.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
It might be a great place for for them to put all of their terrible live action movies from 1950's-when they purchased Marvel and Lucasfilm.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'll sign up if they throw Songs of the South on there

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Heck I'd be tempted if they put up The Black Hole.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

SomeJazzyRat posted:

It might be a great place for for them to put all of their terrible live action movies from 1950's-when they purchased Marvel and Lucasfilm.

Disney streaming should just be Tron and The Black Hole. And maybe Something Wicked This Way Comes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
As long a second they have the holiday special up

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Rocketman is a masterpiece

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
The Death Wish blu-ray is back in print starting Sept. 26. No more having to spend $60+ on it.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

DrVenkman posted:

It really depends if you like that movie to begin with, this isn't a KINGDOM OF HEAVEN type turnaround, it's just a bit longer. Either version is fine though. Like most Unrated Editions it just runs a couple of seconds longer.

That's not true at all - the extended cut is like 20 minutes longer, maybe more. I worked on the film. I don't really love either cut but I think the longer one is the one to watch. It's not just whole scenes "put back in," it's a completely different movie in my estimation. Lots of small changes, some additional scenes, and several scenes that are substantially longer. Completely different pacing and mood, I think.

Five Cent Deposit fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Aug 10, 2017

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Five Cent Deposit posted:

That's not true at all - the extended cut is like 20 minutes longer, maybe more. I worked on the film. I don't really love either cut but I think the longer one is the one to watch. It's not just whole scenes "put back in," it's a completely different movie in my estimation. Lots of small changes, some additional scenes, and several scenes that are substantially longer. Completely different pacing and mood, I think.

does it cut out Cameron Diaz smearing her vagina over the windshield of a ferrari though?

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

I, Butthole posted:

does it cut out Cameron Diaz smearing her vagina over the windshield of a ferrari though?

Why would you cut one of the best scenes in the film?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Disney streaming should just be Tron and The Black Hole. And maybe Something Wicked This Way Comes.
Gonna need Mr. Boogedy and Bride of Boogedy. Two glaring holes in the Richard Masurography that never got a proper release.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

caligulamprey posted:

Mr. Boogedy and Bride of Boogedy. Two glaring holes in the Richard Masurography that never got a proper release.

You can buy them if you're in the Disney Movie Club. My mom has them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

Daredevil is already out on blu-ray.

Now if I could get BoJack on Blu

• Locked thread