Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

SKULL.GIF posted:

Gen Z is just going to be the American manifestation of Japanese hikikomori: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/09/has-the-smartphone-destroyed-a-generation/534198/

Ignore the sensational headline, it's actually a pretty good study of what's going on

yeah ive been saying we're just 20 years behind japan

also without all the cool poo poo

and without most of the weird poo poo too

give me vending machines and good public transit thx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

anime was right posted:

we're like japan except with south korean flavors of right-wing christian psychosis

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

Gen Z is just going to be the American manifestation of Japanese hikikomori: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/09/has-the-smartphone-destroyed-a-generation/534198/

Ignore the sensational headline, it's actually a pretty good study of what's going on

waldorf school kids will inherit the earth :whitewater:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

steam having a sexual content tag is almost as fascinating as the stuff that gets filed under it

like 'dungeons and geese', a game about dungeons and geese, i think

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

anime was right posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnQhR2Oeh-c

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

ThndrShk2k posted:

Just give them instructionals

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAL3JXZSzSm8AlZyD3nQdBA/videos

Throw them into the woods when they go into middle school for the summer
Make it a school contest manga

I don't know if I trust them enough for it to not turn into Battle Royale. Especially not if Armalite hears about the marketing potential

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Squizzle posted:

a pan handler, if you will

i'm a pot fondler

Feldegast42 posted:

Dem's 2020 theme song, tailored for the kids nowadays:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRo5vLPM0co

https://youtu.be/tQsZujjZWs0

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

This aspect always confused me, because from what I've seen/read (which admittedly isn't everything; I think I've read through the third book?) the book seems to portray Khaleesi in a relatively positive light as being the "rightful" ruler. But viewed objectively she just feels she's owned the throne due to her heritage and is willing to kill thousands of people to make that happen.

Grrm read lotr and decided to come up with a sympathetic backstory for sauron

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

KomradeX posted:

Jesus them all being unemployable mentally ill shut-ins is the best case scenario. This country is hosed

and no kids either :woot:

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
millennials are gonna grow up into two factions, communists and nazis

and it's going to be because of lets plays and memes

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

KomradeX posted:

Jesus them all being unemployable mentally ill shut-ins is the best case scenario. This country is hosed

it owns

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Ogantai posted:

Unemployed? Go skill yourself!

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

logikv9 posted:

millennials are gonna grow up into two factions, communists and nazis

and it's going to be because of lets plays and memes

i do not know with what weapons world war 3 will be fought, but cold war 2 will be fought with pepes and chapos

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

I thought demographics were destiny? Why are younger/more diverse generations voting Trump? This makes no sense.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

KomradeX posted:

I don't know if I trust them enough for it to not turn into Battle Royale. Especially not if Armalite hears about the marketing potential

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOw6Mwl4r18

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

KomradeX posted:

Fun thing is this is probably because Japan has huge rates of untreated mental illness frequently as a result of child abuse and a massive stigma against treatment, a dearth of employment opportunities for young people and a general total disregard for the welfare of anyone under 60. No wonder they're all watching anime, it's the only thing that acknowledges their existence.

So yeah, we're all just 30 years behind Japan.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

I thought demographics were destiny? Why are younger/more diverse generations voting Trump? This makes no sense.

they're only 1 generation removed from boomers so they're still bad, but not as bad

the boomer taint will take many generations to fade

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Yinlock posted:

the boomer taint will take many generations to fade
Nah, I had to reupholster the entire set because it wouldn't wash out.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
lol in retrospect @ the popular post election notion that it was the poors who were too entrenched and impossible to reason with

burn the affluent center

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inescapable Duck posted:

Fun thing is this is probably because Japan has huge rates of untreated mental illness frequently as a result of child abuse and a massive stigma against treatment, a dearth of employment opportunities for young people and a general total disregard for the welfare of anyone under 60. No wonder they're all watching anime, it's the only thing that acknowledges their existence.

So yeah, we're all just 30 years behind Japan.

I remember reading Cracked Magazine and Mad in like the early 90s and every other joke was about how the Japanese were going to completely own America's economy. Then they had a huge banking crash and never fixed their poo poo.

Hopefully America has great cartoons.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkrNlDINXs0

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rand alPaul posted:

I remember reading Cracked Magazine and Mad in like the early 90s and every other joke was about how the Japanese were going to completely own America's economy. Then they had a huge banking crash and never fixed their poo poo.

It's America's native art form, you are pretty good at em.

But we are already seeing younger generations retreating wildly into escapism because of mass alienation and disenfranchisement, when they aren't finding reasons to get really mad and go out in the street and fight people.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

steinrokkan posted:

lol in retrospect @ the popular post election notion that it was the poors who were too entrenched and impossible to reason with

burn the affluent center

The obsession with chasing the small business owners is that they're an incredibly easy social class to placate, so long as their status as little capitalists is basically wholly unchallenged. They're also as a group the first people who go hard fascist when things get rough.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
and rough in this case means "taxes may go up 1% at some point in the future"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Japanese culture is obsessed with high school because that's the last time anyone in Japan can remember being even slightly satisfied with their life

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Rand alPaul posted:

japan's stagnation has basically just resulted in people stopping loving and never leaving their apartments, if america were to have the same kind of stagnation we'd be killing each other in an insane civil war in a couple of years before nuking the world and taking everyone down with us

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

SKULL.GIF posted:

the article is bad because it blames smart phones and social media, not the massive increasing in housing prices or the absolutely poo poo job market (whose numbers are massaged by politicians to hide the growing 'two speed' economy).

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

rudatron posted:

the article is bad because it blames smart phones and social media, not the massive increasing in housing prices or the absolutely poo poo job market (whose numbers are massaged by politicians to hide the growing 'two speed' economy).

As I understand it the article isn't talking about millenials (the housing and job markets are very much millenial problems), it's talking about the as-yet-unnamed generation that comes after millenials who are largely still in school and as such aren't old enough to be hosed over by the housing and job markets yet

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

hope the generation after the post millinians keep the psychosis of the post millennials but get simmering anger of the millennialw and it manifests as them killing people. like just a whole generation of serial killers

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/kthalps/status/894383439562104832

"I'm a woman, so therefore I am not physically capable of acting like other people don't exist" :confused:

e: the #17 tweet is funny too. "I was undergoing personal stress for unrelated reasons when you called me out for this lovely thing I did, what the gently caress :qq:"

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

hi thread I hope you enjoyed your weekend

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

loquacius posted:

"I'm a woman, so therefore I am not physically capable of acting like other people don't exist" :confused:

e: the #17 tweet is funny too. "I was undergoing personal stress for unrelated reasons when you called me out for this lovely thing I did, what the gently caress :qq:"

oooo I betcha wonderin how I knew

about my plans to screw the jew

with some other girl who ran before

between the two of those folks you know he'll mop the floor

It took me by surprise I must say

When she lost to the pissbaby

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

zegermans posted:

hi thread I hope you enjoyed your weekend

Hide on the promenade
Etch a postcard:
"How I Dearly Wish I Was Not Here"
In the seaside town
That they forgot to bomb
Come, come, come, nuclear bomb

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

loquacius posted:

Is there anything whiter and more privileged than talking down to minorities about the correct ways to challenge whiteness, and what not being white actually means?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

Is there anything whiter and more privileged than talking down to minorities about the correct ways to challenge whiteness, and what not being white actually means?

Possibly maligning on the internet about how black people voted wrong in the south and how they just don't know any better. Also your guy is better because he has some b-list rapper phonebanking.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

loquacius posted:

Japanese culture is obsessed with high school because that's the last time anyone in Japan can remember being even slightly satisfied with their life

same as us with college

loquacius posted:

As I understand it the article isn't talking about millenials (the housing and job markets are very much millenial problems), it's talking about the as-yet-unnamed generation that comes after millenials who are largely still in school and as such aren't old enough to be hosed over by the housing and job markets yet
yeah, but there is still some influence, the kids in middle/high school can see which way the wind is blowing and realize their generation is already doomed. my sister is pressuring her kids into prepping for college while they're still in middle school, but they'll have to take out loans and wont be able to repay them. plus dumbfuck suburban life spreads out and divides kids so they're less able to congregate anyway, so of course they latch onto phones or videogames

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
So Matt Bruenig's leftist think tank just launched its website:

https://twitter.com/PplPolicyProj/status/894544894102040576

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Scent of Worf posted:

So Matt Bruenig's leftist think tank just launched its website:

https://twitter.com/PplPolicyProj/status/894544894102040576

I wonder how much is annoys the capitalist class that their gains are officially designated "unearned income"

I bet there's a bill stuck in committee somewhere that wants to legally rename is "job creator income".

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
i wake up to the democrats having a memetic war and being corncobbed by it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

got any sevens posted:

yeah, but there is still some influence, the kids in middle/high school can see which way the wind is blowing and realize their generation is already doomed. my sister is pressuring her kids into prepping for college while they're still in middle school, but they'll have to take out loans and wont be able to repay them. plus dumbfuck suburban life spreads out and divides kids so they're less able to congregate anyway, so of course they latch onto phones or videogames

Pretty much. Nothing happens in a vacuum.

That article was honestly much better than I was expecting. Even though it's mostly data about phone use and they should just put it down, this line stood out for me.

quote:

Independence isn’t free—you need some money in your pocket to pay for gas, or for that bottle of schnapps. In earlier eras, kids worked in great numbers, eager to finance their freedom or prodded by their parents to learn the value of a dollar. But iGen teens aren’t working (or managing their own money) as much. In the late 1970s, 77 percent of high-school seniors worked for pay during the school year; by the mid-2010s, only 55 percent did. The number of eighth-graders who work for pay has been cut in half. These declines accelerated during the Great Recession, but teen employment has not bounced back, even though job availability has.

The flaw here is that there was an actual recovery. For ninety some odd percent of America there wasn't. Jobs aren't available to teens. The average age of fast food workers is 29. It's not like they can get a car loan to get a job in the gig economy. There's not a place in the work force for teens.

Another line that stood out to me was how little non-college bound kids care about school.

quote:

If today’s teens were a generation of grinds, we’d see that in the data. But eighth-, 10th-, and 12th-graders in the 2010s actually spend less time on homework than Gen X teens did in the early 1990s. (High-school seniors headed for four-year colleges spend about the same amount of time on homework as their predecessors did.) The time that seniors spend on activities such as student clubs and sports and exercise has changed little in recent years. Combined with the decline in working for pay, this means iGen teens have more leisure time than Gen X teens did, not less.

I mean gently caress why would they?

Again nothing happens in a vacuum, they watched their parent and or grandparents get completely wiped out financially in 2008. They see from their parents and older siblings that college is only a route to a mountain of debt and maybe a tenuous existence in the gig economy. Not going to college is even worse. They have no future, no hope. Capitalism has deemed them economically worthless. America's social contract has been frayed to the point of complete disintegration. Why wouldn't they just give up and post online?

Focusing on phones as the problem with kids is like focusing specifically on opioids as the problem for the working class instead of what's driving people to drug themselves to death.

Iron Twinkie has issued a correction as of 14:45 on Aug 7, 2017

• Locked thread