Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Thesaurus posted:

and if following federal law is contrary to the owner's reasonable accommodation AND sincerely held religious beliefs? boom: the sovereign citizen of companies, immune to any legal challenge

congrats on your supreme court seat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Thesaurus posted:

this reminds me of instances when there are two conflicting accommodations. eg, one person requires a service dog and the other is super allergic to animals or gets ptsd from dogs or something. i honestly don't know how this would be handled

This is honestly something that I'd like to know as well. Always wondered.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Wickerman posted:

This is honestly something that I'd like to know as well. Always wondered.

There was a reddit thread about exactly this a few months back. I think the allergic lady got fired.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

the first option would be to see if there's any alternative solution (adjust shifts, work from home, rearrange floor space etc).

if push comes to shove and it is an applicant vs an established employee, I'm guessing the applicant would lose out. ("violating our employee's accommodation would be an undue hardship for our company").

If two established employees simultaneously developed incompatible disabilities... then a well compensated severance agreement for whoever will take it!

whats the reddit thread? I've never seen a case of truly conflicting ada issues

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I was phoneposting earlier. I mostly remembered correctly:

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/4ygz33/mi_us_new_employee_at_my_small_company_has_a/

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/4z4xfq/mi_us_new_employee_at_my_small_company_has_a/

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/564bez/mi_us_new_employee_at_my_small_company_has_a/

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

lol that ended about how i anticipated

reddit's layout is hard to follow, but it sounded like the allergies guy got owned because he didn't have a clearly documented disability, while the dog guy did.

they definitely should have bribed him to stay on to finish that pricey project he was working on.

Apparently this issue came up with some state employer in Indiana (who hosed up by telling the dog person to get lost right away):

http://www.ohioemployerlawblog.com/2010/05/battle-of-accommodations.html?m=1

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Both allergy guy and seizure dog guy ended up unemployed so at least it was a tie.

The moral is that while refusing to accommodate someone's severe allergies may be legal, doing so when they're the only person who can do the expensive work you just accepted a bunch of is a Bad Idea.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

How do you guys feel about that fivehead girl getting time for convincing her boyfriend to kill himself?

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005
Why are, "You should file a RICO lawsuit" and similar RICO references such memes amongst lawyers? The lawyer i just asked said it would take too long to explain it.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Crazy pro se plaintiffs file Rico lawsuits for $60,000,000 because their car got repoed or something like that

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

If you guys are not reading the BWM thread over in BFC you should be.

Jesus here you go, Sally https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819120&pagenumber=132&perpage=40

C.H.O.M.E posted:

People still hire this guy in austin, in spite of his billboard.

Living in a van would only be like the 4th weirdest attorney I can think of.

Which one of you guys is this?

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 6, 2017

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007

NancyPants posted:

If you guys are not reading the BWM thread over in BFC you should be.

Don't bother linking it or anything.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
That guy probably grosses 50k a week

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 7, 2017

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Xequecal posted:

Why are, "You should file a RICO lawsuit" and similar RICO references such memes amongst lawyers? The lawyer i just asked said it would take too long to explain it.

That just means that he wants money and/or is sick of giving away free legal explanations.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

How do you guys feel about that fivehead girl getting time for convincing her boyfriend to kill himself?

I think blarzgh had some interesting stuff to say about that in the terrible gbs thread. Worth a read I think.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823941&pagenumber=19&perpage=40#post473694356

blarzgh posted:

This isn't a "Freedom of Speech" issue, it's a causation issue. It's precedent because now 'words' have been raised to the level of physical violence or weapons in their legal ability to cause death.

That's a bad precedent because it's realtively easy to determine whether a bullet killed someone. It's extremely problematic to put it up for vote whether someone's words 'killed' someone.

At the far end of the spectrum is what this girl did; the most desperate, concerted effort to kill someone with words. It's good, context ignored , that she's in jail, because she did a bad thing.

At the other end of the spectrum is someone telling their friend to 'gently caress off', and that friend goes home and writes a note saying, I killed myself because Joe told me to gently caress off, and he knew I wanted to kill myself, and then sticks his head in the oven.

If in your mind, the difference between the number and severity of the words is relevant, then you have a very dangerous mindset. A physical act either kills someone, or it doesn't - there is no spectrum. If words can be weapons, then everything you say to any other person is technically on the spectrum of whether or not it has the power to legally cause their death.

She was convicted of Killing someone without Killing anyone. If you can't appreciate the dangers of that because you're so mad at the psycho bitch that did this, then you should really step back and take a breath.

I'm not in a position to criticize american criminal law on principle, so I won't. Blarzgh does raise, to my mind, an interesting question though.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Nice piece of fish posted:

Blarzgh does raise, to my mind, an interesting question though.

I think evilweasel killed the answer to that question.

evilweasel posted:

that words can cause death that you are culpable for is a principle going back a thousand years, see "all i did was asked 'will no one rid me of this troublesome priest'" v. "the catholic church is upset you ordered your minions to execute their archbishop and excommunicated you" 1 E.C.L. 1 at 1 (1170)

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Except manslaughter is tantamount to negligent murder: someone died not because you necessarily did a physical act but because of some level of reckless conduct. It's not the "physical act" it's about the conduct underlying that act (e.g. Killing someone in a car accident and killing someone in a car accident when you are dui; the act and outcome are the same, the difference being the conduct of the driver). And that is exactly what has to be determined, the culpability of that conduct. The judge felt her six days and hundred of texts all centered around telling him to kill himself because his failure to do so was making her look bad rose to that level of culpable conduct sufficient to support a manslaughter verdict. It was not one instance of "gently caress off." And we, as a community, should be able to look at the facts of a situation and say "yes this was reckless and wanton conduct" or say "no this wasn't"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well you don't seem to be addressing mens rea which is still important even in manslaughter cases .

In vehicular manslaughter the mens rea is offen fabricated .

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

ulmont posted:

I think evilweasel killed the answer to that question.

So you're saying she should have done penance instead of being subject to prosecution?
Bad facts make for bad law, and it's certainly true in this case.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What words did the girl use? Did she say "kill yourself?"

I think i disagree with balzrg about this being even slightly problematic

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
It was significantly more involved than one text or one phrase.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/08/us/text-message-suicide-michelle-carter-conrad-roy/index.html

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

euphronius posted:

What words did the girl use? Did she say "kill yourself?"

I think i disagree with balzrg about this being even slightly problematic

"Why haven't you done it yet tho?"
"No you're not Conrad. Last night was it. You keep pushing it off and you say you'll do it but u never do. Its always gonna be that way if u don't take action"

Like, I was looking at the transcript of the texts and each one is along the lines of "You are bad for not having killed yourself already".

That said, Balzrg acknowledged that this case is extreme and the causal chain is clear. Unless I misunderstood him, his objection was to the idea that words were being treated as a potentially deadly weapon at all regardless of content; because, not all cases will be clear cut and the gray area is large and dangerous.

vvv Sure, he said that first thing in the post though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah there are 0 free speech concerns there .

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

I think there was one text in particular where the guy was going to get out of the truck and abandon the attempt and she told him to get back in and finish the job.

joat mon posted:

So you're saying she should have done penance instead of being subject to prosecution?
Bad facts make for bad law, and it's certainly true in this case.

No, it's not. Her texts are the known but-for cause in the suicide (see above) and she had actual knowledge that he was suicidal and continued to encourage him.

This is not significantly different from the manslaughter conviction of a husband for laughing at his wife (who was pulling a gun out and putting it in her mouth) and telling her she had to make sure to flip the safety off or it would never work.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 7, 2017

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

ulmont posted:

I think there was one text in particular where the guy was going to get out of the truck and abandon the attempt and she told him to get back in and finish the job.

That's the one that the news has focused on especially. This discussion is the first I've heard about their conversation being over the course of several days or weeks (admittedly, I haven't delved deep into this).

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

She kept up the conversation for something like a week, during which time he was clearly grappling with the idea and she didn't do anything to reach out to his family or any help. Now ok, she doesn't really have a legal duty to seek aid for him, but she also gave him advice on the method, and encouraged him to go through with it. When he worries about his family, she reassures him that they will be ok and that she will help them get past it. She also chastises him for trying to back off from the idea - when he talks about it and then doesn't kill himself, in the following days she is seriously pushing him until he does.

quote:

Carter: "I thought you wanted to do this. The time is right and you're ready, you just need to do it! You can't keep living this way. You just need to do it like you did last time and not think about it and just do it babe. You can't keep doing this every day"

Roy: "I do want to. but like I'm freaking for my family. I guess"

Roy: "idkkk"

Carter: "Conrad. I told you I'll take care of them. Everyone will take care of them to make sure they won't be alone and people will help them get thru it. We talked about this, they will be okay and accept it. People who commit suicide don't think this much and they just do it"

I mean drat this is some kind of half-time-in-a-sports-movie levels of encouragement and motivation going on. She would have done less if she had helped him load the generator and started it herself, but kept her mouth shut (because then she wouldn't have talked him back into the car to die)

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

NancyPants posted:

That's the one that the news has focused on especially. This discussion is the first I've heard about their conversation being over the course of several days or weeks (admittedly, I haven't delved deep into this).

This is where the judge felt she crossed the line and took responsibility for his life. Sentencing was also interesting, she was ordered "not to profit" from this, having felt her motivation for this was "aggrandizement" but it seemed to only apply during the terms of her probation.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

euphronius posted:

Yeah there are 0 free speech concerns there .

quote:

(a) Whoever commits an offense against the United States or aids, abets, counsels, commands, induces or procures its commission, is punishable as a principal.

(b) Whoever willfully causes an act to be done which if directly performed by him or another would be an offense against the United States, is punishable as a principal.

The idea that you can be criminally liable for speech that result in an offense is long established and uncontroversial. The fact that this is a suicide makes the factual circumstances very particular, but if she had sent those texts to someone considering whether to murder the victim then her conviction as an accessory would be completely uncontroversial. This is only different because the principle act isn't illegal, but there are good reasons for this being the anomalous exception to A&A.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 7, 2017

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
This is a fairly minor manner but does anyone have any advice or experience with small claims court in NJ?

Im planning to take my former landlord to court over a withheld $3300 security deposit. He's now offering 2300 to settle but I'm fairly confident the law is on my side and I don't want to let him walk away with free money when hes in the wrong.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Alchenar posted:

[quote](a) Whoever commits an offense against the United States or aids, abets, counsels, commands, induces or procures its commission, is punishable as a principal.

(b) Whoever willfully causes an act to be done which if directly performed by him or another would be an offense against the United States, is punishable as a principal.[./quote]

The idea that you can be criminally liable for speech that result in an offense is long established and uncontroversial. The fact that this is a suicide makes the factual circumstances very particular, but if she had sent those texts to someone considering whether to murder the victim then her conviction as an accessory would be completely uncontroversial. This is only different because the principle act isn't illegal, but there are good reasons for this being the anomalous exception to A&A.

The causal chain has been analogized to kevorikian who only got into trouble when it was shown he was actually administering the lethal dose, not just providing others the means to do it themselves.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Tony Soprano: You want to get your button, Chrissy, you need to get your poo poo together and take care of that rat.

Christopher: *kills guy*

Tony Soprano: Free speech bitches :smug:

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, I think it's an interesting thought experiment to explore how we would have felt about this if she had encouraged him to kill a third party rather than himself. Take all of the text messages and make them about her ex, or his ex, or the woman down the street with a bunch of cash.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
loving glad it wouldn't even be a debate in my country, over here it's statutory law that encouraging suicide (successfully) carries at maximum the longest available sentence by law. Accessory to suicide.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Arcturas posted:

Yeah, I think it's an interesting thought experiment to explore how we would have felt about this if she had encouraged him to kill a third party rather than himself. Take all of the text messages and make them about her ex, or his ex, or the woman down the street with a bunch of cash.

Conspiracy

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Basically there are a bunch of legal options to deal with this issue without jumping off a cliff and criminalising all free speech, the underlying question of 'do you think it should be illegal to pressure vulnerable people to commit suicide?' should be really easy to answer.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Interesting could the victims parents have gotten an injunction to stop the woman from texting him before he killed himself ?

Not in PA I don't think.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

euphronius posted:

Interesting could the victims parents have gotten an injunction to stop the woman from texting him before he killed himself ?

Not in PA I don't think.

You can't get a restraining order over criminal harassment in PA?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Typically you have to prove irreparable harm for prior restraint through injunctive relief, but I would certainly think this qualifies.

e. It would also have to be prohibited speech of course, and not sure that encouraging someone to kill you are self qualifies.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 7, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

You can't get a restraining order over criminal harassment in PA?

Doesn't seem like harassment in pa.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Typically you have to prove irreparable harm for prior restraint through injunctive relief, but I would certainly think this qualifies.

There's caselaw on point!

Whitaker v. Kenosha Unified School District No. 1 Board of Education, No. 16-3522, slip op at (7th Cir. May 30, 2017) posted:

Ash has alleged prospective harm. He has asserted that the policy caused him to contemplate suicide, a claim that was
credited by the expert report of Dr. Budge. We cannot say that this potential harm—his suicide—can be compensated by monetary damages. Nor is there an adequate remedy for preventable “life‐long diminished well‐being and life‐functioning.” Therefore, we reject the School District’s analogy to tort damages and find that Ash adequately established that there was no adequate remedy of law available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Basically there are a bunch of legal options to deal with this issue without jumping off a cliff and criminalising all free speech, the underlying question of 'do you think it should be illegal to pressure vulnerable people to commit suicide?' should be really easy to answer.

I know I'm the rear end in a top hat that always wants to draw hard, bright, black-and-white lines, but I agree with Blazargh here. I don't find "we can examine it on a case-by-case basis" to be an adequate answer. If your ex says that they are going to kill themselves if you don't get back together, complete with their detailed plan, and you tell them that you aren't ever getting back together with them, are you responsible for their subsequent suicide?