Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Rascyc posted:

I would argue the obvious route is to start fighting for or alongside the Empire actually, where they positively hate you. It's the easiest way to pull the rug out from underneath the WoL other than a complete setting change in general.

At the end of the day this makes the most sense as a 'shocking swerve' for the story, the Empire is not TECHNICALLY wrong in that there is no viable solution to the Primal problem without removing Primals and the ability to call them forth from the world if you want the world to keep existing. The problem being, they are driving the various peoples of the world to the emotional extremes required to summon Primals and locking them up also encourages people to dream up bigger and more terrible gods before the final tally is made.

The Allagan had this problem too, but were so goddamn overpowered they pushed it to its logical limits and took over everything. The only reason they didn't win was because the clone of Xande realized there was no way he COULD be the real Xande and decided that the only solution was nihilism and to feed the world to the Horrors outside of it, because the people pulling Allag's strings would NEVER EVER STOP.

And that couldn't be allowed to stand.

At this stage, the Empire is being openly (in cutscenes) manipulated by the Ascians. It feels like we're being prepped to accept that the Empire and we share a common enemy: Zodiark's Thrill Kill Cult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Man, good cape glamours are so hard to come by. I missed the event for the Vamp Vest. Plus it's really short. The only time I've ever gotten a proper cape was Eso gear for PLD. It's not fair, I tell ya!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Artist at it again. http://harusi00.tumblr.com/

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

The one below that is pretty sad

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

SE's next big Gil sink: A Yojimbo fate that offers an exclusive minion, mount, orchestrion scroll and crafting material where you have to pay him in order to actually fight him. The cost increases with each spawn and has no cap.

Said cost only resets during patch maintenance.

Aw man can you imagine the shitstorm if you had to pay like 100,000,000 gil every time you wanted to even attempt the current weapon-rewarding Savage raid? I mean it would be an entirely legitimate shitstorm cause that would be ridiculous even by raid lockout standards, but oh man would it be perversely funny for anyone who didn't care about savage content.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

re: Yojimbo, the merchant is also a dumb rear end for throwing his gil like he's auditioning for the major leagues. Just give the loving money to the dog, dude, its not like he's doing anything while Yojimbo is fighting. :colbert:

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Just completed the 2.x patch stuff and I'm sort of blown away with it. It felt like an entire expansion worth of content, and I feel like it's actually better done than the 2.0 ARR content. I feel like friendly Ishgardians are completely unsettling, most likely due to experiences from the lead-up to Garuda.

Also did I just see a bishounen Lalafell?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Colgate posted:

Just completed the 2.x patch stuff and I'm sort of blown away with it. It felt like an entire expansion worth of content, and I feel like it's actually better done than the 2.0 ARR content. I feel like friendly Ishgardians are completely unsettling, most likely due to experiences from the lead-up to Garuda.

Also did I just see a bishounen Lalafell?

You did. He's a major NPC in 4.0.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I was playing on Japanese. That cute little Lala is voiced by the King of Braves. I nearly fell out of my chair.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tarupin has a manly as gently caress voice in Japanese ye. It's good.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
So I just noticed that with Stormblood, FFXIV is finally bringing out the RDM, which was my main in FFXI. That might actually convince me to give it a try again (I played in the beta way long ago and it was pretty mediocre at the time). I gave up FFXI a few years ago because life got in the way but things have slowed down enough I think maybe I could take on an MMO again. Anybody willing to convince me?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

So I just noticed that with Stormblood, FFXIV is finally bringing out the RDM, which was my main in FFXI. That might actually convince me to give it a try again (I played in the beta way long ago and it was pretty mediocre at the time). I gave up FFXI a few years ago because life got in the way but things have slowed down enough I think maybe I could take on an MMO again. Anybody willing to convince me?

Red Mage is cool as gently caress and is the #1 caster for 8 man content these days. Bonus points for it being really fun to play and super mobile, also you have the best wipe recovery kit in the game.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Well you've been playing xi so the standards must be pretty low, just try it again. Though rdm is only accessible with the expansion.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

This game has nothing in common with FFXI on a gameplay level. It's not trying to be an Everquest style fully immersive world type experience (which implicitly means lol gently caress your free time and doing anything in a timely fashion), it is a more modern theme park hotbar holy trinity MMO. What sets it apart from WoW is mostly good story telling and a hell of a lot of aesthetic polish on everything.

Game is still gonna be slow in the early levels because the 1-50 experience is tailored to a (in no small part Japanese) audience where the devs had to presume that their core audience had literally never played a WoW style MMO in their lives. It can be pretty training wheels-y but the complexity of playing the Jobs at 50+ is pretty drat satisfying.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's worth noting that FFXIV RDM is absolutely nothing like FFXI RDM. And not just in the "lol ffxi" sort of way - FFXIV's incarnation is a pure DPS job with one very strong utility ability, compared to FFXI's support-focused version. There's not really any guarantee you'll like it just because it shares the same name and hat. Also you have to get to level 50 before you can get RDM, which isn't a huge hurdle but is worth noting.

Download the free trial and give it a whirl, it lets you play indefinitely/to level 35 or something like that.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Gearhead posted:

It feels like we're being prepped to accept that the Empire and we share a common enemy: Zodiark's Thrill Kill Cult.

Eh, I don't see us working with the Empire anytime soon, no matter how much I'd like to see it happen. Yoshida was pretty shocked to hear people sympathized at all with Gaius, to the point where he specifically designed Zenos to be a monstrous crazyperson so we wouldn't like them. The Empire is, sadly, supposed to be Really Evil Bad Guys.

e: A couple people have told me that housing is releasing with the patch tonight. That's complete bullshit, right? I don't have to stay up until 3AM to sprint into Shirogane?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm like 90% certain they said Shirogane housing would be 4.1

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Rainuwastaken posted:

Eh, I don't see us working with the Empire anytime soon, no matter how much I'd like to see it happen. Yoshida was pretty shocked to hear people sympathized at all with Gaius, to the point where he specifically designed Zenos to be a monstrous crazyperson so we wouldn't like them. The Empire is, sadly, supposed to be Really Evil Bad Guys.

e: A couple people have told me that housing is releasing with the patch tonight. That's complete bullshit, right? I don't have to stay up until 3AM to sprint into Shirogane?

Yoshi explicitly stated that the question of whether to have the player work with the Empire going forward or not in the story was something they were presently mulling over, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

As for the Empire being Really Evil Bad Guys, well yeah they always were and that includes Gaius. Gaius is just a believable Really Evil Bad Guy that's all. :v:

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Rainuwastaken posted:

Of course it's bullshit, why would they ever do this without an announcement.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Shy posted:

Of course it's bullshit, why would they ever do this without an announcement.

Yeah, I know, but when your best buds are all telling you the same thing...Still, good to know, thanks.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yoshi explicitly stated that the question of whether to have the player work with the Empire going forward or not in the story was something they were presently mulling over, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

I am now terribly excited to be wrong.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

As someone who is basically the same (was a RDM in ffxi, quit, decided to give ffxi a try a bit over a month ago), I'd say go for it. XIV is faster moving, compared with XI, in terms of leveling and getting through story quests. Way less fiddly too-- you don't have like fifty different gear sets you're switching between in a single fight.

RDM in this game is hardly anything like RDM in XI though. Instead of being a refresh battery and cut rate healer, you get to be a sweet flip stabby mage. Way better. I wouldn't mind more debuffs though.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Rainuwastaken posted:

to the point where he specifically designed Zenos to be a monstrous crazyperson so we wouldn't like them.

Well he failed. I accepted him. :colbert:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

As for the Empire being Really Evil Bad Guys, well yeah they always were and that includes Gaius. Gaius is just a believable Really Evil Bad Guy that's all. :v:
YoshiP is my uncle and has told me what the next 2 expansions are

4.x: We rebuild Ala Mhigo and Doma and start liberating other Garlean holdings in northern Othard, final patch has us right on the doorstep of Ilsabard on both fronts ready to begin the invasion.
5.0: The Garlemald expansion, we kick their asses but the battle is so brutal Hydaelyn is harmed in the process, empowering the Ascians. We team up with what's left of the Garleans against the true threat.
6.0: The humbled Garleans build a spaceship and we go together to the moon.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I'm looking forward to a future moon-expansion so we get Lunarians as a race, and they have :krad: beards.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

I just finished the Stormblood MSQ yesterday, and I'd describe the game as a 100 hour non-turned based JRPG with people running around and an economy. It's really easy to ignore all of the massively online parts of the game and to just treat it like a single player experience where you occasionally meet up with randos.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

homeless snail posted:

I'm like 90% certain they said Shirogane housing would be 4.1

I'm also 90% certain of that and equally as certain that they said it's not going to be day of 4.1 release but after a short while.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Leofish posted:

I'm looking forward to a future moon-expansion so we get Lunarians as a race, and they have :krad: beards.
I mostly just want to get past the inevitable moon expansion so we can go to the new world and commit atrocities on the natives in the name of Eorzean colonialism

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

homeless snail posted:

YoshiP is my uncle and has told me what the next 2 expansions are

4.x: We rebuild Ala Mhigo and Doma and start liberating other Garlean holdings in northern Othard, final patch has us right on the doorstep of Ilsabard on both fronts ready to begin the invasion.
5.0: The Garlemald expansion, we kick their asses but the battle is so brutal Hydaelyn is harmed in the process, empowering the Ascians. We team up with what's left of the Garleans against the true threat.
6.0: The humbled Garleans build a spaceship and we go together to the moon.

There's still Meracydia and the New Word to visit.

Also I seriously hope that the opening of Shirogane is part of the 4.1 story with the WOL demanding an end to Hingashi's isolationsm.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, I expect/hope that 4.x will have a lot of Hingashi political stuff, kind of surprising how little of it they go into in 4.0.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Leofish posted:

The Ivon Coerulfist doll is basically a flying beard minion that looks like FuSoYa's sprite, it's pretty great. I regret only that I can't have Wind-up Ramuh out at the same time.

I also like that yoship deliberately made Zenos a totally unsympathetic psycho and there still seems to be a small group of people out there who thought his parting words were somehow romantic. There are some crazy motherfuckers who play video games, man.

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

Y'all over here talking about them sweet man manes but the first time you see a lalafell with one it's gonna be :sto--

edit: wait nevermind this is goons I wouldn't be surprised to see a static of nothing but bearded potatos

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

There's still Meracydia and the New Word to visit.

That's where miqo'te supposedly came from right? I want to go to catgirl land!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

UHD posted:

Catgirl land would have fewer catgirls-per-square-inch than Eorzea does though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

UHD posted:

Supposedly it's like fantasy Australia, in that everything there wants to kill you.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

Supposedly it's like fantasy Australia, in that everything there wants to kill you.

As it is, every frog and bird in Eorzea wants to kill you so this wouldn't be much of a change.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The fact that there are passive monsters (that aren't sprites) in 2.x Eorzea but not in 3.x/4.x Eorzea/Othard kind of takes away from the world building to be honest.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Admittedly my side job in FFXI was THF, so I'm used to a DPS role too. It sounds like FFXIV RDM is more along the lines of FFXI's RUN (Rune Fencer) then?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Thundarr posted:

I also like that yoship deliberately made Zenos a totally unsympathetic psycho and there still seems to be a small group of people out there who thought his parting words were somehow romantic. There are some crazy motherfuckers who play video games, man.

It would be easier to see Zenos as an unsympathetic psycho if he wasn't 100% right about the majority of the playerbase. We're thrill-seeking, battle-hungry murderbeasts, constantly refining our skills in order to turn a sloppy combat into a beautiful, efficient dance of death. We primarily look forward to each patch not because we're wanting to see who we can save, but because we're excited to find out what new things we get to kill.

Like yeah, he's nuts when it comes to all the mad science and stuff, but he really nailed it on the whole combat-seeking angle.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Admittedly my side job in FFXI was THF, so I'm used to a DPS role too. It sounds like FFXIV RDM is more along the lines of FFXI's RUN (Rune Fencer) then?

No. It's actually far more of a caster that closes to melee sporadically for burst damage opportunities using its unique mechanic. There's really no way to compare XIV RDM and any of XI's jobs, because their gameplay flow is so different.

E: Please give us a rune fencer style magitech knight and make nero the class trainer yoship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Not really. You seem to just be comparing thematics (sword + magic) when in reality no class in FFXIV has remotely the same mechanics as FFXI. And even still, RUN was a tank. The basic play pattern of FFXIV RDM is "stand still for 2.3 seconds casting something, instant cast something, rinse repeat for about 40 seconds and then do a 3-hit melee combo". I really can't think of what I would compare it - or any FFXIV job - to in FFXI aside from "this is a dps, this is also a dps".