Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Just dismantle capitalism. No junk food advertising, and you get community childcare and community cooking groups, also no capitalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Anyway there are many ways in which fat people are treated bad by other people and this is mean and Not Okay. But "this bag of fruit is $30!!" is not by any stretch of the imagination one of those ways.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Where the gently caress are you buying food from that it's that expensive :psyduck: Like even when grapes are out of season and like $9 a kilo it wouldn't total $30+ what the Christ

Many grocery stores also attempt to trick you in the produce section. The first thing you see when you walk in my local Albertson's produce aisle from the store entrance (everyone goes to produce first) are the very vegetables you are there to get, and if you don't pay enough attention you end up buying organic and end up wondering when spaghetti squash and asparagus got so loving expensive. You have to walk through the organic poo poo to get to the regular poo poo and it's stupid.

Oh and you don't always notice the organic labels until you are being rung up, or maybe until you've spent $45 on produce and gotten it home

Oh and sort of related but wasn't there some article going around a while back that basically said it costs more to be poor or homeless than it would cost them if they had a house and car and bills and poo poo?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

This is like some kind of riddle. I'm gonna go with "the bottle in the picture is actually a completely unrelated bottle of water, and the 'soft drink' is actually a 24-pack"

I still don't think that would be enough...

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

It's Canadian or Aussie dollars.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice
Are they having grapes and nuts for dinner? Those foods aren't even that healthy. Full of sugar.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

gschmidl posted:

maswastaken posted:

What did that fucko spend the other $20 $10 on?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Sir Lemming posted:

This is like some kind of riddle. I'm gonna go with "the bottle in the picture is actually a completely unrelated bottle of water, and the 'soft drink' is actually a 24-pack"

I still don't think that would be enough...

I think that's a bottle of sprite zero

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

gschmidl posted:

I'm Canadian and bored so I went on the web and priced it. Prices are for central Alberta at the Real Canadian Superstore.

One large pineapple: $4.97
Raspberries, 0.5 pints: $4.48 (if it's a full pint, $6.94)
President's Choice Organics Green Seedless Grapes: $6.98 x2
Nuts: $1 (they gave me the price on these)
Sprite Zero: probably like a dollar, they don't have the individual bottles on their web page, only 2L ones

I picked the organic grapes because the pre-packaged non-organic ones at Superstore come in a plastic clamshell thing. If they bagged their own, it would be cheaper.

Total price: $25.41 Canadian before tax, which is 5% in my province but more in others.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Prism posted:

Total price: $25.41 Canadian before tax, which is 5% in my province but more in others.

That's pretty close but presumably CAD 32 will buy you less McDonald's than USD 32, too, which is where my joke falls apart.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

gschmidl posted:

That's pretty close but presumably CAD 32 will buy you less McDonald's than USD 32, too, which is where my joke falls apart.

It sure will, though I couldn't tell you by how much.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice
You can get around 120 chicken McNuggets for 30 bucks here in the states.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Trebek posted:

Last time I went to mcdonalds a Big Mac meal was loving $11, and I still felt hungry afterwards. gently caress that.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Thin Privilege posted:

Last time I went to mcdonalds a Big Mac meal was loving $11, and I still felt hungry afterwards. gently caress that.

That's how they get you.

A double quarter-pounder with cheese plus a super-sized fry and drink are nearly $9 at McDonald's here in the States, but hey at least they made their napkins picnic-sized instead of cocktail-sized

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You guys need to step up your dollar menu game. 2 double cheesburgers, large fry and coke is like $5

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I am surprised that there isn't a website into which you can plug a dollar amount and it calculates how much junk food that gets you.

That I could find.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice
Are you guys going to a McDonald's inside a baseball stadium or something? 11 dollars for a #1?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Trebek posted:

Holy poo poo :psyduck: here in Germany the same amount of nuggets would cost you the equivalent of almost $54

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

System Metternich posted:

Holy poo poo :psyduck: here in Germany the same amount of nuggets would cost you the equivalent of almost $54

Yeah especially considering the EUR is worth a bit more than the USD

That said, German McD's are classier and better than the ones here in the States, I especially enjoyed the one in Nurnberg at the Bahnhof that is 2 stories or 3 (I forget)

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

System Metternich posted:

And if you think that's expensive, double those prices for Switzerland.

e: just checked, yup, $108 for 120 chicken nuggets.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

gschmidl posted:

And if you think that's expensive, double those prices for Switzerland.

You leave Switzerland out of this!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
what's the cost difference? Better standards on what can be considered "chicken" or how it's prepared?

I doubt seriously that the chicken nuggets elsewhere are the same as the chicken-like sponges we get here

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Verisimilidude posted:

Food deserts are a thing, but if Cracker McWhitebread is spending $32 on grapes they're probably not living in one.

I say this as someone who is broke most of the time and just hosted friends for $20. Got three types of cheese, Concord grapes, blackberries, strawberries, and golden kiwi. I even went to a fancy market that just opened up in my crumby neighborhood.

You figure it was 2 bucks for the nuts, maybe another 2 for the soda, so that means they spent $28 on a pineapple, grapes, and raspberries. Maybe they went to one of those Japanese luxury fruit stores.

Crackers McWhitebread is black.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Joey Freshwater posted:

what's the cost difference? Better standards on what can be considered "chicken" or how it's prepared?

I doubt seriously that the chicken nuggets elsewhere are the same as the chicken-like sponges we get here

McDonalds is priced differently depending on what people will pay, even in the same city. Poor neighborhoods can charge more, because they know they're hungry and tired and don't have a lot of other options.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Dilb posted:

McDonalds is priced differently depending on what people will pay, even in the same city. Poor neighborhoods can charge more, because they know they're hungry and tired and don't have a lot of other options.

quote:

Davis' piece confirmed that prices vary from one neighborhood to the next, but there's no pattern based on household incomes, home prices or any other demographics.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

life is killing me posted:

Many grocery stores also attempt to trick you in the produce section. The first thing you see when you walk in my local Albertson's produce aisle from the store entrance (everyone goes to produce first) are the very vegetables you are there to get, and if you don't pay enough attention you end up buying organic and end up wondering when spaghetti squash and asparagus got so loving expensive. You have to walk through the organic poo poo to get to the regular poo poo and it's stupid.

Oh and you don't always notice the organic labels until you are being rung up, or maybe until you've spent $45 on produce and gotten it home

Oh and sort of related but wasn't there some article going around a while back that basically said it costs more to be poor or homeless than it would cost them if they had a house and car and bills and poo poo?

gently caress all that poo poo, I hate that they put the organic strawberries right there happy in the front at HEB and I have to go practically out of the produce section entirely to find the normal ones (albeit they do have a giant wall of them, it's just not in the place you'd expect it to be). At least the blueberries and raspberries and such are usually just split out on the same stand. I buy non-organic intentionally because a) you're paying for the "organic" label and they taste exactly the same, b) usually the non-organic produce is in better shape anyway and c) I am A Poor and my kids eat a shitload of fruit so I'm not paying $6 for strawberries

If this person is anywhere in Murica though there is no way in hell that cost $32. Those aren't fancy grapes from the look of them, though those might be organic raspberries. Here we go, courtesy of HEB:

Grapes: $1.98/lb. I'd have to be feeling pretty generous to call that more than 4 pounds of grapes, so $8 max. The most expensive white grapes currently at the HEB by my house are cotton candy grapes at $6.98 a pound but they have a really obvious pink packaging (as most cotton candy grapes do). Those are not cotton candy grapes.
Pineapple: $2.77. Moving on.
Raspberries: $2.48 for a 6 oz package. $3.98 for organic.
Sprite Zero: probably $1.50 from the soda machine out front
Nuts: $2. She gave us this one.

Shove all that together and you get a whopping $17, round up to $20 if you're being generous. That's in Texas though, and our produce prices are generally pretty good. If she's in NYC or something, or the post is from January, she might have something there. I feel it may be a hair exaggerated though. :v:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Ok, we have relatively high food prices here, so let's see.

4 lbs of the most expensive grapes: €9.98
1 pineapple: €2.99
1 package of raspberries: €2.49
1.5 liters of Sprite: €1.49
2 bags of some random nut/fruit mix: €2.98

That's €19.93 or $23.49.

If I went for cheaper grapes and took advantage of bundled deals I could get a lot more for that money.

McDonald's is a little harder to compare since they got rid of menus, but given the current €2 deal, I could get 10 McCountry-equivalent burgers for €20.

That said, what the gently caress kind of purchase is that? If I want to feed a family, I don't buy artisanal grapes, I buy 4 pounds of spaghetti (€1.16), two glasses of sugo (€3.58), salad (€1.59) and, I dunno, some lovely cake for dessert (€1.39 for almost half a pound) for a total of €7.72 ($9.10). Which it turns out is less than one Big Mac menu costs.

gschmidl has a new favorite as of 17:38 on Aug 7, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

gschmidl posted:

That said, what the gently caress kind of purchase is that? If I want to feed a family, I don't buy artisanal grapes, I buy 4 pounds of spaghetti (€1.16), two glasses of sugo (€3.58), salad (€1.59) and, I dunno, some lovely cake for dessert (€1.39 for almost half a pound) for a total of €7.72 ($9.10). Which it turns out is less than one Big Mac menu costs.
Seriously. But buying a big sack of potatoes, some pasta and/or rice, whatever cheap vegetables look good, a cheap cut of chicken/pork, and a few apples wouldn't be as shocking. :downs:

It also doesn't have soda(when you're flat broke drinks other than water are a sometimes treat, not a mandatory part of your grocery list) or the lovely small packs of nuts(they may 'only' be a dollar each, but small bags like that are always terrible value per ounce). And you'd actually have to cook instead of just eating pieces of fruit.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Joey Freshwater posted:

You guys need to step up your dollar menu game. 2 double cheesburgers, large fry and coke is like $5

Excuse me sir that is four items for FIVE DOLLARS. That ain't no dollar menu!!!!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Lifehack: Live in a place where grapes cost $5/lb? Don't eat grapes!

(Alternatively, "sample" a few, harvest the seeds and become a Grape Baron)

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Drunk Tomato posted:

Excuse me sir that is four items for FIVE DOLLARS. That ain't no dollar menu!!!!

Oh look at this guy who lives in a magical land where they dont pay taxes

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

Oh look at this guy who lives in a magical land where they dont pay taxes

aka Montana, New Hampshire, Delaware and Oregon.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok so maybe magical was a bit much

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Elizabethan Error posted:

aka Montana, New Hampshire, Delaware and Oregon.

Four states that don't pay sales tax, meet property taxes and other sundry taxes that are through the roof to make up for it

TheKennedys posted:

gently caress all that poo poo, I hate that they put the organic strawberries right there happy in the front at HEB and I have to go practically out of the produce section entirely to find the normal ones (albeit they do have a giant wall of them, it's just not in the place you'd expect it to be). At least the blueberries and raspberries and such are usually just split out on the same stand. I buy non-organic intentionally because a) you're paying for the "organic" label and they taste exactly the same, b) usually the non-organic produce is in better shape anyway and c) I am A Poor and my kids eat a shitload of fruit so I'm not paying $6 for strawberries

If this person is anywhere in Murica though there is no way in hell that cost $32. Those aren't fancy grapes from the look of them, though those might be organic raspberries. Here we go, courtesy of HEB:

Grapes: $1.98/lb. I'd have to be feeling pretty generous to call that more than 4 pounds of grapes, so $8 max. The most expensive white grapes currently at the HEB by my house are cotton candy grapes at $6.98 a pound but they have a really obvious pink packaging (as most cotton candy grapes do). Those are not cotton candy grapes.
Pineapple: $2.77. Moving on.
Raspberries: $2.48 for a 6 oz package. $3.98 for organic.
Sprite Zero: probably $1.50 from the soda machine out front
Nuts: $2. She gave us this one.

Shove all that together and you get a whopping $17, round up to $20 if you're being generous. That's in Texas though, and our produce prices are generally pretty good. If she's in NYC or something, or the post is from January, she might have something there. I feel it may be a hair exaggerated though. :v:

I wonder if that STDH writer used instacart so you have to factor in a tip for the delivery person and a minimum you have to meet. Easier to meet a minimum amount to spend if you get organic poo poo because otherwise you can't order just one or two items from instacart

I'm in North Texas and it's hard to buy a week's worth of groceries at Albertson's without spending nearly $150 even if you buy all store brand stuff, which I do. My wife and I have to plan our meals out on Sunday so we know exactly what to buy in order to cook our meals for the week starting Monday

life is killing me has a new favorite as of 18:16 on Aug 7, 2017

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Poor people don't go to McDonalds because they think it is cheaper. Poor people go to McDonalds because it is easier and faster.

Also: many forget that the initial investment to get cooking and to eat at home can really add up. Pots and pans, even cheap ones, add up. Silverware adds up. Dishes add up. HAVING A STOVE is something not every house has (and definitely not all apartments).

That is why people go to McDonalds. Not because all poor people just are too lazy or can't math.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

life is killing me posted:

Four states that don't pay sales tax, meet property taxes and other sundry taxes that are through the roof to make up for it
the conversation was about sales tax, please try to keep up.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Elizabethan Error posted:

the conversation was about sales tax, please try to keep up.

Boy you sure did show me

Any other wise insights? I'm :allears:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

"Well, you're gay," I said, smugly rubbing my hands together, "I am the true fan. Checkmate." The computer store employees all clapped.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

cash crab posted:

"Well, you're gay," I said, smugly rubbing my hands together, "I am the true fan. Checkmate." The computer store employees all clapped.

Ma'am, this is a McDonald's drive thru thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Joey Freshwater posted:

Ain't no large fry on the dollar menu.