Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Zephro posted:

Also 8/9 chaos isn't *that* much. You know about the chaos vendor recipe, right?
(to be a bit more helpful: if you vendor a complete set of un-ID'd rare gear over itemlevel 60 you'll get a chaos orb in return, or two orbs if it's all over ilevel 74.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerox
May 20, 2001

Zephro posted:

It's still super early in the league, prices on most non-meta-specific things will come down over the next few days/weeks

Also 8/9 chaos isn't *that* much. You know about the chaos vendor recipe, right?

I never knew about the chaos recipe last league, but I started doing it this league. I have a stash tab I am keeping an inventory of the weapons and armor in stock at all time that I can sell. I am having a lot of problems getting the rings, ammy, and belts for the recipe. It just seems like those 3 parts never drop.

I am doing the all unided recipe for 2 chaos at a time, is that the best one to do?

Zephro posted:

(to be a bit more helpful: if you vendor a complete set of un-ID'd rare gear over itemlevel 60 you'll get a chaos orb in return, or two orbs if it's all over ilevel 74.)

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vendor_recipe_system#Full_Rare_Sets

Its actually 1 orb if all from ilvl 60-74.
2 Orbs if all unided OR all 20% quality
3 Orbs if all unided AND all 20% quality

If you get all ilvl75+ and do this, its a regal orb.

The orb you get depends on the lowest ilvl of the item in the set. So if everything is ilvl 80 and you throw in an ilvl 70 belt, you get chaos orb(s).

nerox fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Aug 7, 2017

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Yeah rings, amulets and belts are always the limiting factor. I tend to just pick those up until I have a few sets worth then grab all the other crap when I'm ready to sell, since it wastes less stash space.

The chaos recipe is a sort of supplementary-income / last-resort source of cash, though. Are you selling other stuff on poe.trade? Cards, silver coins, sealed prophecies, other currency (fusings and chisels are good), random tri-res+life gear, uniques can all be decent sources of starting cash.

edit: oops, yeah, you're right, ilevels give regals, sorry. In that case it's probably better to just sell un-ID'd stuff. It'll take longer for something usable to drop than it will to just buy it with the chaos orbs you're getting.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Aug 7, 2017

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh, I'm only level 44 in act 5, should I just not worry about the 5 link for now? I have a 4 link chest which seems to be doing OK for me, I just wanna get my skill as beefy as it can be.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Yeah I was on a 4 link until like level 65

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Bardeh posted:

Oh, I'm only level 44 in act 5, should I just not worry about the 5 link for now? I have a 4 link chest which seems to be doing OK for me, I just wanna get my skill as beefy as it can be.
Nah, you can stay with 4-link for ages, some builds can do low/mid-tier maps with just a 4-link.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Arzachel posted:

Evade + Dodge is good but you need a health pool and some mitigation (Arctic Armor, Basalt flask, Endurance charges, Fortify etc.) to not get one shot. You'll get a ton of evasion just from all the dex nodes near Ranger start so I would suggest getting just the clusters that have both evasion and life on them, at least until you hit maps and can decide whether you want to invest more.

How much health % do I actually want?

https://poeplanner.com/AAkAAR8ACQIA...1QRGnNrAAAAAAA=

I made this as a super joke to just find all the life/evasion nodes near me and see how many points it would cost to go grab them, then I could whittle down the further ones until I had the points I needed to do other more exciting things. It seems like +damage isn't super helpful from the tree then? I've heard a lot of people say the tree should mainly be used for health/leech/mana, attack speed, evasion, crit chance, and the big ones like Acrobatics. Trying to think ahead a little bit on that front.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Bardeh posted:

Spending an alch or two on a leveling weapon is going to give you a way bigger return than a 5-link this early. Pick up a Blood Reaper if you're using two handers.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Can anyone suggest what i should be looking at getting next?

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/UberJumper/characters

I have been following Ziggys Glacial Mine build. But chose to rush life over more mine damage because i feel super squishy. Is there some nodes i am missing out side from the final life node, that i should prioritize to be less squishy?

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

tithin posted:

Do you get the second curse on your character at the end of rank 8? trying to down cruel lab and Izaro keeps chain shotting me with the green orbs.

It happens at end of act 10. Did you forget to pick life on the passive tree or something? You shouldn't be getting hosed up by cruel Izaro that badly.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

edit: never mind

Zephro fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 7, 2017

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Arzachel posted:

Spending an alch or two on a leveling weapon is going to give you a way bigger return than a 5-link this early. Pick up a Blood Reaper if you're using two handers.

I'm doing a duel wield Sunder Berserker build, are there any decent maces I should look out for?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Zephro posted:

You say that like Rare jewellery ever drops :argh:

So I'm level 66, Templar Frostbolt Totem Build and it's going really well. I have zero issues killing things, but I'm so squishy.

2.4K HP and like 500ES -- I know it's not much. Most of my resistances are maxed and I think I'm even positive on Chaos, but the problem is I just can't find gear my level to replace all of my current stuff with.

I've been taking a lot of the HP/Armor Talents, should I just give up on the ES? But then I'm struggling to get Blue sockets on my gear :(

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 7, 2017

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Rookersh posted:

https://poeplanner.com/AAkAAR8ACQIA...1QRGnNrAAAAAAA=

I made this as a super joke to just find all the life/evasion nodes near me and see how many points it would cost to go grab them, then I could whittle down the further ones until I had the points I needed to do other more exciting things. It seems like +damage isn't super helpful from the tree then? I've heard a lot of people say the tree should mainly be used for health/leech/mana, attack speed, evasion, crit chance, and the big ones like Acrobatics. Trying to think ahead a little bit on that front.

I usually aim for like 160 - 170% life on softcore for a right side of the tree build. You want to end up with at least like 5k hp in addition to your mitigation defenses. A good tree balances both offense and defense, you'll ideally get plenty of damage by taking efficient clusters.

Something like this maybe assuming its a bow build that gets frenzy charges: https://poeplanner.com/AAkAAOcACQIA...qJA9PihIgAAAAAA

I doubt that's the most efficient tree, but just as an example of proper stat spread.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

tithin posted:

Do you get the second curse on your character at the end of rank 8? trying to down cruel lab and Izaro keeps chain shotting me with the green orbs.

Make sure you have a golem up and if you're not a totem build spam decoy totem.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Is there still a +1 charge choice quest somewhere I missed?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Rookersh posted:

My (softcore) rule of thumb is ~180% for ranged and ~200% for melee, preferably more. Some people go for more, some less. You get a feel for it as you're playing.

quote:

It very much depends on the build. Crit won't take much % damage because crit chance and multiplier scales better. I find that looking up a couple builds for whatever skill to use as an outline really helps.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 7, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

tithin posted:

Rank 8? Either way, just dodge the artillery.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Rank 8? Either way, just dodge the artillery.

Act 8 I guess.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Bardeh posted:

I'm doing a duel wield Sunder Berserker build, are there any decent maces I should look out for?

Saving weapon specific nodes for last makes picking up leveling gear way easier. Innsbury Edge is way better than the 1h axes and maces at that level but you can get a Frostbreath at 50.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Do the harbinger packs come out today?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Arzachel posted:

Saving weapon specific nodes for last makes picking up leveling gear way easier. Innsbury Edge is way better than the 1h axes and maces at that level but you can get a Frostbreath at 50.

I need a sword for my offhand to use Whirling Blades, and I got a Flesh Eater for my mainhand, so I'll get an Innsbury Edge. Thanks!

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Bardeh posted:

I need a sword for my offhand to use Whirling Blades, and I got a Flesh Eater for my mainhand, so I'll get an Innsbury Edge. Thanks!

I hosed up and forgot about the axe and mace requirement for Sunder. It's not worth upgrading the offhand since Sunder only uses the mainhand weapon. Offhands just act as stat sticks so people pick up something with a global buff like The Princess.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I leaned on the chaos orb recipe pretty hard last league. I kept a stash page with all the various pieces of gear, up to 3 of each slot, and would sell each time I had a full set. (I only used small 1h weapons, since they were space-efficient.)

Just remember that regal orbs often end up worth less than chaos, so if you start getting into maps with all ilvl 75+, run a single lower-level map every so often and vacuum up all the lower level rares and then put a single ilvl <75 into your vendor sets to make sure you keep getting chaos.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i dont do the chaos recipe just because im so fuckin lazy i cant be bothered

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I started making significantly more money trading once I stopped doing the chaos recipe. Like two orders of magnitude more. And I'm pretty bad at trading.

I guess if you're still on the default 4 non-premium stash tabs it might be worth your time.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Im a bad person and just use my quad tab as my post map dump tab, set it for 1c buyout, dump everything in there and when its full vendor it all, and if something gets like 30 whispers instantly i check it out and relist it in a shop tab

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Someone had a singularity listed for 1c last night so I whispered them and they instantly responded with "5c" (which is the price all the others were at). So I told them no thanks I'll pay someone else and they took the time to tell me about how they didn't care because they were farming shaped strand.

I should probably make a reddit thread about how much of a big scam it was.

Stangg fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 7, 2017

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Support for back to me about MercuryTrade:

I very much doubt, that they will allow it, but I very much doubt they could detect it right now, since it doesn't interact with the game at all.

Eezee fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 7, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Eezee posted:

I very much doubt, that they will allow it, but I very much doubt they could detect it right now, since it doesn't interact with the game at all.

Yeah, which is why I didn't bother to redownload it without waiting for the support response, or an official statement.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Diablo 3 Season 11 is over and i'm back baby PoE is good again awoooo (wolf noises).

I'm thinking about melee for 3.0 but all my previous characters were magic-users. If I want a class/build that is just a glass cannon brutally shredding things apart while looking extremely cool doing so then leaping away to do it elsewhere, is Shadow or Duelist my thing?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Flicker Strike Duelist ticks all of those boxes, and how

provided you don't suffer from epilepsy or motion sickness

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I only play PoE while driving so I guess that's out.

I'll give it a whirl, thanks man.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Does Spectral Throw benefit from the Point Blank special node? Is there a way to find out exactly what range the attack increase happens? Is it all the way the projectile first flies, then on the way back it decreases the damage?

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

There is a map mod 'Players have Point Blank' which appears from tier:1 maps onwards so the easiest/cheapest thing to do would be to wait until you transmute a low level map with that mod and find out if it works for you that way.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Does Flicker Strike hold up through high tier content?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

frajaq posted:

Does Spectral Throw benefit from the Point Blank special node? Is there a way to find out exactly what range the attack increase happens? Is it all the way the projectile first flies, then on the way back it decreases the damage?

Point blank definitely effects it, and I'm pretty sure its beneficial for single target damage. Thing is that the damage loss is based on total distance traveled so the second hit as the spec throw travels back will have less damage, but the upfront damage should be high enough to balance it out assuming you are using slower proj.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm pretty sure flicker strike markedly reduced my eyesight from Strain so beware . Your eyes are going to have a workout .

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

StashAugustine posted:

Does Flicker Strike hold up through high tier content?
I played it on a fairly casual basis a couple of patches ago. Back then at least the build I was following was apparently endgame-viable but I stopped playing somewhere around T12 maps (not because the build wasn't working, I think I started playing some other game instead).

edit: this is making me want to play it again tbh

Zephro fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

MMF Freeway posted:

Point blank definitely effects it, and I'm pretty sure its beneficial for single target damage. Thing is that the damage loss is based on total distance traveled so the second hit as the spec throw travels back will have less damage, but the upfront damage should be high enough to balance it out assuming you are using slower proj.

The return journey counts as a travel time away from the source so it continues to lose damage on the return as the way point blank works is that it calculates on "total distance travelled", it's best used with something like slower projectiles so the loss is minimal.

Stangg fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 7, 2017