Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I thought Dany was going to be a little more tactical with her dragon. The Lannisters make a giant shield line and you just fly at it head on over the Dothraki? Approach perpendicular to your ground forces and get the whole line!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Mons Hubris posted:

I thought Dany was going to be a little more tactical with her dragon. The Lannisters make a giant shield line and you just fly at it head on over the Dothraki? Approach perpendicular to your ground forces and get the whole line!

Where's the drama in that?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Nail Rat posted:

:stare: How the gently caress does the fire not burn the poo poo out of the unprotected faces of the dudes?

They're masks :pseudo:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Oh well that would explain that :downs:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Nail Rat posted:

Oh well that would explain that :downs:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Dave posted:

Yet they deliberately say things like "All the gold made it safe!" and people come and post questions asking if the gold made it. The biggest offscreen problem is the teleporting. I get that they don't have time to devote to how long the travel would take, but it would be nice if they framed things somewhat.

I'm watching this season with friends and they keep talking over half the lines so I assumed the gold was torched too.

Shut up, friends :v:

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

You think Sansa will turn? She seems to be jealous of all her siblings and their cool abilities

Sansa won't turn. Sansa will end up on the iron throne in the end.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

The Dave posted:

Yet they deliberately say things like "All the gold made it safe!" and people come and post questions asking if the gold made it. The biggest offscreen problem is the teleporting. I get that they don't have time to devote to how long the travel would take, but it would be nice if they framed things somewhat.

Wait when do they say the gold made it safe?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

randall tarly specifically tells jaime that the gold is inside the gates god drat you guys watch the show, ya know?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Its literally the first line of the scene.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Put your phone down for 55 minutes, you dat gone millennials.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bloops Crusts posted:

Where does this episode rank on the pantheon of greatest episodes

Top 10 or Top 5

neither.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

'all the gold is safely through the gates at King's Landing'

-not specific enough for goons

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

Efexeye posted:

I was too busy frothing angrily at the lack of realistic battle tactics involving dragons or proper sword choreography to pay attention or remember anything

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I was too distracted by how big Dickon's armor is.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Efexeye posted:

in defense of goons, he really eats that line; it wasn't a good take

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Yeah he looked ridiculous in that poo poo. Was surprised by the face turn on Big Dickon. Him having some heart and saving Jamie was pretty sweet. Sure looked ridiculous doing it though.

Ser Big Dickon Tarley of the Reach Around?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I don't remember offhand if Ser Samsbrother gets burned the next episode or would he actually BEND THE KNEE to Dany even if Randyll wouldn't.

e: vv I guess that answers it

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dudes toast next episode. A good old fashioned TarlyQue!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Dudes toast next episode. A good old fashioned TarlyQue!

I wonder if the burning of father and son is supposed to mirror what Aerys did.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I thought they couldn't burn father and son for the same crime?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

You've got the worst loving attorneys.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I'm not sure Daenerys really cares at this point. Besides, if you all you have is a giant fuckoff dragon, everything looks like a BBQ

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Waffles Inc. posted:

in defense of goons, he really eats that line; it wasn't a good take

It's also really stupidly convenient.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

grack posted:

I'm not sure Daenerys really cares at this point. Besides, if you all you have is a giant fuckoff dragon, everything looks like a BBQ

Gotta feed those fuckers somehow now that she's roasted the winter food supplies.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

kater posted:

It's also really stupidly convenient.

I can absolutely, 100% believe that Cersei sent word to the Lannister army to prioritize getting the gold through the gates before anything else including food.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

This is literally "tactical realism" but with absolute air and ground superiority through combined-dragon-arms, why would you not focus your close air support on the troop lines themselves and secure the now basically priceless provisions in the baggage train to take back to Dragonstone instead of destroying them?

:psyduck:

Like, maybe the intent was initially just a raid but it's pretty clear it turned into just a complete route and curb-stombing, especially since the next episode teaser implies she's got a bunch of prisoners. Adjust your plans and get that wheat, girl.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Tecumseh_Sherman#Total_warfare posted:

The damage done by Sherman was almost entirely limited to the destruction of property. Though exact figures are not available, the loss of civilian life appears to have been very small. Consuming supplies, wrecking infrastructure, and undermining morale were Sherman's stated goals, and several of his Southern contemporaries noted this and commented on it. For instance, Alabama-born Major Henry Hitchcock, who served in Sherman's staff, declared that "it is a terrible thing to consume and destroy the sustenance of thousands of people," but if the scorched earth strategy served "to paralyze their husbands and fathers who are fighting ... it is mercy in the end."

Boofy
Sep 11, 2001

Argento posted:

Wasn't Edmure sent to Casterly Rock?

apparently tobias menzies is on for this season so i wouldn't be surprised if he pops up there. hopefully they give him more interesting people to work with than grey worm. although he's almost certainly just gonna be brought in for 1-2 seasons and then killed off to wrap up another loose end.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Biggus Dickon.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Right but she pretty much ran the table at The Battle of the Buttes an Unspecified Distance Outside Kings Landing to the point she was denying strategic resources to the enemy to the point where it seemed like she could capture them herself without a huge amount of risk. Multiple, multiple times the viewer is told that basically everyone is facing near-catastrophic famine due to having a giant continent-spanning war instead of filling their granaries for the long winter.

In this version the Union is starving and Sherman could send the supplies North instead of putting them to the torch.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Right but she pretty much ran the table at The Battle of the Buttes an Unspecified Distance Outside Kings Landing to the point she was denying strategic resources to the enemy to the point where it seemed like she could capture them herself without a huge amount of risk. Multiple, multiple times the viewer is told that basically everyone is facing near-catastrophic famine due to having a giant continent-spanning war instead of filling their granaries for the long winter.

In this version the Union is starving and Sherman could send the supplies North instead of putting them to the torch.

Yeah I agree, Dany is not a tactician. I don't think the dragon is really that accurate anyway. She just says "flame on" and he melts everything in front of him. Maybe its like blowing up a hospital that a terrorist might be hiding in.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
If the food is in anyway important to the plot you can just assume Dany just burned part of it and captured just the right amount to keep her troops sustained until the point the plot feels like it again.

Like, the burning was good, you can't expect Dany to have a dragon and not to burn poo poo up. Dracarys, you know?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I liked how the drogon the dragon followed up by tail-swiping the already mostly melted balista. "gently caress this thing in particular."

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Hopefully next episode they'll confirm the Merman theory, but actually apply it to Jamie.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

But this British stuntman hasn't got a mask on. :ohdear:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I never imagined dragon riding would look that goofy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i said the same they're the size of jetliners it looks dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

I don't understand how team pacifist thinks Dany is gonna conquer everyone without burning a few folks oh well guess we'll lose to win

• Locked thread